The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the same thing every time I see the queen in long sleeves and a coat dress during the hot summer when it is a hundred degrees where I am.

Reminds me of the dry idea antiperspirant, and their tagline was never let them see you sweat. How do they do it? I've asked this before and I still don't get it. Even the close-ups of her out in the lawn in the afternoon when it is very hot, there is no sweat.
I must be getting really jaded because this photo makes me giggle and think they are all at a costume party. I mean, those crowns look so..... over the top.
methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F163e0938-b6ab-11e8-849b-d1a6cd5e8545.jpg

BBM oh how funny....they really do look like they were at a costume party now that you mention it lol!

IIRC in the agreement between the Queen, the COE, and the government regarding the marriage of Charles and Camilla, due to both being divorced was something like...
Civil wedding
COE blessing
no Queen Consort title

It's been a while so my memory may be incorrect but this is what I remember.

@Keine Engel

Can I get a tiara?

Oh look!! she looks exactly as I feel today! :cool::D:oops::p
:D This is especially for you!

1816290wc8jb9ec7q.gif

Tiara Alert!

princess-dianas-crown-from-the-diana-a-celebration-exhibit-is-at-the-picture-id91315501

THE SPENCER HONEYSUCKLE TIARA

princess-dianas-crown-is-displayed-at-a-preview-of-the-traveling-a-picture-id91309996

It’s been in the family since the nineteenth century. Most seem to think that the first owner of the piece was Charlotte, the wife of John Poyntz Spencer, the 5th earl. If sources that say that Charlotte received it as a wedding gift are correct, that would mean that it has been in the Spencer collection since at least 1858.

First photographed on Charlotte, Countess Spencer in 1885, the piece is thought to have been a wedding gift to her in 1858.
charlotte-frances-frederica-spencer-wife-of-the-5th-earl-spencer-picture-id3268475

Countess Spencer
1885: Charlotte Frances Frederica Spencer, wife of the 5th Earl Spencer.
f4ad739845e8a116ca15db39e6fe33d7.jpg

Cynthia, Countess Spencer
Paternal grandmother of Diana, Princess of Wales, who was a Lady of the Bedchamber to Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother.

;) Hope you're feeling better @floridagrrl

Spencer Honeysuckle Tiara
Saturday Sparkler: The Spencer Honeysuckle Tiara | The Court Jeweller

IIRC in the agreement between the Queen, the COE, and the government regarding the marriage of Charles and Camilla, due to both being divorced was something like...
Civil wedding
COE blessing
no Queen Consort title

It's been a while so my memory may be incorrect but this is what I remember.
That's basicslly how I remember it but it does look like Camilla will be Queen Consort
I don't think there's anything definite & from what I can gather once Charles is King he can decide whatever he wants anyway.:D
I think they are playing it by ear until the time comes?;)

This is a good feature on Charles which does state;

April 9, 2005, almost nine years after the dissolution of Charles’s marriage to Diana, he and Camilla were married in a civil ceremony at Windsor Guildhall. At the time, it was announced that when Charles does accede to the throne she will be given the title princess consort. In subsequent years, public opinion of her has turned around. According to recent reports, she will eventually become queen consort, the customary title for the wife of a reigning king.

“I Don’t Really See Any Value in Saying, ‘I Told You So,’”: Prince Charles on His Climate-Change Fight, Life with Camilla, and Becoming King
Anyone of my age knows that days pass at a far greater speed than when they were young,” a man nearing his 70th birthday recently told me. “But in my case there are so many things that need to be done.”
MAG-1218-Prince-Charles-Camilla-02.jpg

The couple in the Garden Room, with a French tapestry presented to Queen Victoria by the Emperor Napoleon III. :eek:
“Things that need to be done” takes on a strikingly different quality if you are on the verge of ascending the British throne.
Past the age at which many people retire, Charles Philip Arthur George, the Prince of Wales, is still waiting to begin the job he’s been in line for since he was three years old, when his mother, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, began her monarchy in 1952

Prince Charles on His Climate-Change Fight, Life with Camilla, and Becoming King

I was prepared to like this photo of Charles and Camilla with this gorgeous, and I mean gorgeous tapestry behind them...

But... She's got her hand on his thigh.

It's too intimate, it's too casual. He should know better. They both should know better.

If this had been them on holiday in some lovely place, sure. But this is a portrait of the two of them. Considering all that went on with their subterfuge and their betrayal of Diana, this immediately struck me as wrong.
After all is said and done, they are Royals and there needs to be a tiny bit of decorum.

You can castigate me all you wish, but it's inappropriate and I don't really relish the reign of Charles as king.

Last edited:
ETA I loved that Diana's two sisters were in the official photograph of the christening. I cannot remember their names.

ETA #2 Question - when the queen dies, how long is it usually until they pass along to the next person and have the coronation? Enough time to make the proper Crown from discussion after death to the coronation? Or is it something that is pre-planned and it's already in progress probably?
;)Diana's sisters are Lady Sarah McCorquodale & Lady Jane Fellowes.

I thought that was a nice touch as well.

Prince Harry proves close bond with Princess Diana's sisters at Archie's christening
Prince Harry proves close bond with Princess Diana's sisters at Archie's christening | HELLO!

Here explains about the time between the death of the Monarchy to the Coronation :confused:

The coronation of Elizabeth II took place on 2 June 1953 at Westminster Abbey, London. Elizabeth II ascended the throne at the age of 25 upon the death of her father, George VI, on 6 February 1952, being proclaimed queen by her privy and executive councils shortly afterwards.

The coronation was held more than one year later because of the tradition of allowing an appropriate length of time to pass after a monarch dies before holding such festivals. It also gave the planning committees adequate time to make preparations for the ceremony.

Coronation of Elizabeth II - Wikipedia

Well, having to wait one year after QEII passes, Prince Charles will be pushing 72-73 at least.

Quite an elderly age to start a new job, one you have waited on for many years. I feel the actual job will include much more work than he has ever imagined and will require many more hours a day that the ole’ boy is not use to.:(
He may get William more involved to help reduce his work. That can only be a good thing as William will be trained when his time comes.

Wonder how long Charles will serve/live?

Well, having to wait one year after QEII passes, Prince Charles will be pushing 72-73 at least.

Quite an elderly age to start a new job, one you have waited on for many years. I feel the actual job will include much more work than he has ever imagined and will require many more hours a day that the ole’ boy is not use to.:(
He may get William more involved to help reduce his work. That can only be a good thing as William will be trained when his time comes.

Wonder how long Charles will serve/live?

I don’t envy him one bit and I think the monarchy is in for a rough time when QEII sadly passes. I don’t think the general public will be as supportive under his reign.

Several posts reference the (literal) "weight" of the various crowns and suggest that they probably couldn't be worn for long periods of time. I was reminded of this (figurative) quote from Shakespeare's King Henry IV:

Heavy is The Head That Wears The Crown

The original source of this phrase is not known, but William Shakespeare used it in his play, King Henry IV, with little modification, as he wrote, “Deny it to a king? Then happy low, lie down!/Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown.” In Act III, Scene I, King Henry IV says these lines to express how tough his duty of kingship is, and how difficult it is to take such a serious responsibility, which constantly worries him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member