The Charges Against Jesse Leroy Matthew

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not unless they were doing it at the request of the CPD or the VSP and then it would only be on behalf of the requesting agency. The FBI has no explicit jurisdiction in this situation.

He was charged with being a fugitive from justice. That is a federal crime and the FBI has jurisdiction.

He was arrested on a warrant issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia

View attachment 61162

And was swabbed in Virginia

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/virginia-police-forensic-evidence-links-cases-25854710 and

No. He was arrested in Texas on a federal fugitive from justice warrant.

Authorities had issued a federal fugitive warrant for Matthew out of concern that he would try to cross into Mexico
http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/3d2...a Student/id-d4ccc2eb933649f4856632f98b7bbc5e

Fugitive Felon Act-18 U.S. Code § 1073 - Flight to avoid prosecution or giving testimony
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1073

He would have been swabbed in Texas. It would be SOP.

He may have been swabbed when he returned to VA, but your article only states that VA would now have the authority to swab him without consent.

Not unless they were doing it at the request of the CPD or the VSP and then it would only be on behalf of the requesting agency. The FBI has no explicit jurisdiction in this situation.

Not true. See my above post about the UFAP warrant.

Hi guys! I'm a noob so give me a break if I do this wrong :thinking:

Please quit saying this. Morgan disappeared in 2009. DNA technology has advanced since then. We now have Rapid DNA and buccol swabs can be run in 90 minutes. Rapid Hit200 was released in 2012.

http://www.policeone.com/police-pro...-Use-of-DNA-in-Law-Enforcement-and-Forensics/

http://integenx.com/products/rapid-dna/rapidhit-frequently-asked-questions/

The Virginia Crime Lab likely didn't run JM's DNA. He was swabbed in Texas and he was arrested on a federal warrant.

We don't know where the DNA from Morgan's case came from. It could have just as likely came from her body as from her shirt. We know LE says her assailant revisted the crime scene. Without being graphic, killers of this nature often leave their DNA when they revist. . .so his wouldn't have been 3 months old. ;)

can you provide a link to where LE said he revisited the crime scene? Sorry, this is all new info to me!

Hi guys! I'm a noob so give me a break if I do this wrong :thinking:

can you provide a link to where LE said he revisited the crime scene? Sorry, this is all new info to me!

Just wanted to say :wagon: to Websleuths, ktodat!

:gthanks: for joining us. :wave:

I missed that. Is there a link where this is verified?

Thanks, I prefaced my original post that this was anecdotal or hearsay. Read it in more than one comments section on web sites on featuring MH case. Since this is an unsolved case, you are not going to get LE to validate or acknowledge the veracity of most anything we discuss other than what they choose to release through their communications/PR depts. so we wouldn't be discussing much even forensic links they may or may not have.

Wow - do I make mistakes!
Above should have read:
"regarding rumors.... wish there was an acronym "RHI" meaning "rumor has it" that would be required whenever a rumor is posted. Guess :rumor: could be used..."

So much for that - checking news for anything new, and nothing.... I wonder if he had help..... if not, must have had a plan in place considering no one saw her being taken; so we don't have a crime scene, and there's no surveillance of her being taken or thereafter, and of course she hasn't been found.

I have not read any MSM account saying that the woman in the Fairfax rape case left the country or is still here. She was not identified by name, as rape victims most often are not. The narrative reports given say that she was visiting friends in the US. Though it 's not definite, an interview with the family that had her on their porch, on their chair until police and her friends arrived, said that the language she spoke was likely Urdue and it was also reported she was likely Muslim, probably from Pakistan. So she might be here. She might not. Whether LE has contacted her at this point, we don't know. Whether she will want to press charges, work with the police, we don't know. Priority has been on searching for Hannah's body as there is time constraint on the search. Whether direct DNA matches have been made from JLM's buccal swabs yet, we don't t know, but if they have all of that is on the table. Charges against JM get heard in Dec but they are for the reckless driving, the abduction and I have no idea what will be done with the flight charges. How it works about upgrading the charges regarding Hannah as the evidence is compiled, I don't know. DA will also likely look at the evidence on the table for the MH and the Fairfax rape charges and make a decision on how to proceed.

With the national spotlight in all of this, there will be pressure on the DA to come up with some hefty charges, something that office may NOT want to do if the evidence is not strong enough for likely wins in court. In such cases, the DA often often offers deals, but this may not be politically possible in this case. The Leiby kletzky case in NY was a media circus for a while, but when things settled down, the perp got a deal. If you had told me that would happen in that case, I would have said, "absolutely not, but it was so settled once public attention was diverted. With the Harrington and Graham families involved , this may not be politically possible in this case. But if the evidence doesn't look good enough, it can be a problem for the DA.

Copying this over from the news thread:
Police Sources: Hannah Graham's Body Found
Updated: Sat 5:41 PM, Oct 18, 2014

Police sources confirm the body of Hannah Graham was found Saturday afternoon at Walnut Creek Park in Albemarle County.

A female body that was found in Walnut Creek Park in Albemarle County Saturday afternoon has been confirmed to be that of missing UVA student Hannah Graham.

Albemarle County Police will be making a statement shortly.

The video of that press conference will be carried live, streaming here on newsplex.com and will be live on WCAV CBS19.

Details to follow on this breaking story.

There should be ample information recovered today to put to rest the questions of what happened. Hoping~

R.I.P. Hannah......

So, the investigation is moving to a different venue? Wonder how much of a delay that will cause, if any?

I have not read any MSM account saying that the woman in the Fairfax rape case left the country or is still here. She was not identified by name, as rape victims most often are not. The narrative reports given say that she was visiting friends in the US. Though it 's not definite, an interview with the family that had her on their porch, on their chair until police and her friends arrived, said that the language she spoke was likely Urdue and it was also reported she was likely Muslim, probably from Pakistan. So she might be here. She might not. Whether LE has contacted her at this point, we don't know. Whether she will want to press charges, work with the police, we don't know.
<snipped for focus>
bbm

Question for LEGAL EXPERTS here:

If the victim of the Fairfax rape does not want to press charges or is possibly no longer even in the U.S., and the DNA link turns out to match JLM, would any of this matter in charging him for crimes against MH and HG? Does the victim have to agree to press charges in a violent crime in order for the evidence to be used in another case?

Thanks, in advance.

Good question Concerned M. I don't think she needs to right now or if forever. Sad that situations that are important to an arrest draws everyone in.

Rape has no time limits from what I read in VA laws. jmo

bbm

Question for LEGAL EXPERTS here:

If the victim of the Fairfax rape does not want to press charges or is possibly no longer even in the U.S., and the DNA link turns out to match JLM, would any of this matter in charging him for crimes against MH and HG? Does the victim have to agree to press charges in a violent crime in order for the evidence to be used in another case?

Thanks, in advance.

Not a legal expert by any stretch, but how could they use this against him in a trial for Morgan or Hannah? Wouldn't that be a form of hearsay (especially if he wasn't convicted for the rape)? My understanding is that prior convictions aren't allowed to be brought up until the penalty phase.

Not a legal expert by any stretch, but how could they use this against him in a trial for Morgan or Hannah? Wouldn't that be a form of hearsay (especially if he wasn't convicted for the rape)? My understanding is that prior convictions aren't allowed to be brought up until the penalty phase.

For the most part, you're correct. Each case has to be tried separately from another -- so whether he's guilty of one or three doesn't matter when you look at them individually. The only time that his guilt or association with another crime would come into play in another trial would be if his lawyer is portraying him as an upstanding human being/citizen and the prosecution needs to counter.

Also, if he is found guilty of abduction and/or murder, he will either get life or the death penalty. Either way, the years that a rape conviction would add wouldn't make a difference.

Could see new charges against JLM:

&#8220;It's very significant that this happened and this body has been found in an area where Mr. Matthew is familiar with, where he grew up,&#8221; says Goodman. &#8220;Many witnesses can establish that he is familiar with that area, plus he is seen with her on the night that Ms. Graham disappeared and you have the forensic evidence; we are not aware of what that is at this point.&#8221;

Waiting for all charges to be brought against this probable murderer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member