The Crime Scene and Investigation

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Obviously, the alarm being off IS relevant to the case. The point that had been made was that the reason that the alarm was off, as far as we knew, was not a result of anything done by the two suspects. (It truly may have been accidentally off.) In other words, since we had been privy to some information regarding the alarm and we knew that neither of the suspects tripped/cut/remotely shut off the alarm, whatever, the speculation about the suspects' involvement in the alarm being off could be irrelevant.

Thank you for your post, Duntulum. I am wondering though, why the alarm at the house was repeatedly tested during the 4th of July weekend as if being checked out for reliability?

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1507/08/ng.01.html

It looks like the alarm was supposed to be on that fateful night, but then it was not tripped for some reason. Do I understand that correctly? Or was the alarm not set at all, then why testing it days later?

Thanks, Nin

That is an excellent question, Wing Ding!. Fishy is right. That brings me to another thought. With technology today, can't some alarm systems be turned off electronically via a smart phone or pc? Wouldn't it be telling if we learn the alarm was turned off that way? SMS seemed to hint that digital footprints were especially important in this case. My speculation only, of course.

Based on the NG transcript below, I tend to believe the security system in place on Jarvis was a cell phone (as opposed to land-line) based system. Interesting points about "jamming" the signal.

ZARRELL: Yes, we know that this company says that they can run the security, most importantly, Nancy, through a cell network, Internet provider or plain old telephone, but that cell phone is the most popular one and that most people use that.

GRACE: And to you, joining me, Christo Taourshiani. Christo, the specific security alarm company here -- we spoke to them, Stateside Security -- we learned a lot. Now, this particular alarm system is the type that if it is tripped, if it goes off, they call you immediately. And they don`t just say, Are you OK? You have to have a passcode. You have to be able to say, like, I watch the NANCY GRACE show or I`m a doctor and I went to Emory University Medical School or NYU. You`ve got to have a pass phrase or code, or else they send the police.

CHRISTO TAOURSHIANI, NANCY GRACE PRODUCER (via telephone): That`s exactly right, Nancy. Statewide Security of Florida told me that they have a central station, so you have to speak to them before they even dispatch the police to your house.

GRACE: Guys, again, another major breakthrough in the investigation into the death, the slaying of a gorgeous young Bonita Springs doctor, Dr. Sievers, a mother of two little girls. We now know that the killer, apparently through dumb luck, or by knowledge of the inner workings of the alarm system, managed to avoid being caught on video. We have scoped out the home and found there are three security cameras.

What more can you tell me about Statewide Security? I understand, Christo, they provide a wide array of home alarm systems. But also, we are learning this is likely one of those cell phone wireless alarm systems. And there`s reasons for that, Ben. There can be a landline system, but then thieves and perpetrators learn you can cut your phone line. So then the alarm system company -- nationwide, the industry moved to cell phone. There`s also radio frequency.

Explain to me, Ben, how somebody that knew the code could disarm this system by remote from their cell phone.

BEN LEVITAN, TELECOMMUNICATIONS EXPERT (via telephone): Well, Nancy, there`s several ways to this. One of the -- one of the possibilities I`m looking at -- yes, you can get a cell phone blocker

And another thing, are you telling me if somebody cut it or jammed it, that the alarm company would not have knowledge of that?

LEVITAN: Yes. How would they know? Remember, the alarm company -- the cell phone link sends information from the house and from the alarm system back to the monitoring station. If that signal is broken, it`s just like the wire is cut.

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1507/09/ng.01.html

Any Florida residents here who are familiar with Stateside Security systems?
Is it strange that the cops were called to Jarvis (recently) when the alarm went off? Was MS simply not answering his phone for the alarm company?

Obviously, the alarm being off IS relevant to the case. The point that had been made was that the reason that the alarm was off, as far as we knew, was not a result of anything done by the two suspects. (It truly may have been accidentally off.) In other words, since we had been privy to some information regarding the alarm and we knew that neither of the suspects tripped/cut/remotely shut off the alarm, whatever, the speculation about the suspects' involvement in the alarm being off could be irrelevant.

Thank you so so much for clarifying this point.

As I understand it then, nothing the suspects did either shut the alarm down or tripped it since it was already off, and the fact of it being off may or may not be relevant since its unclear why it was off, aka whether by accident, defect, or deliberate.

Continued thoughts to you and yours, always.

Why would Mark worry that his mother was inadvertently responsible for the alarm being off?

Why wouldn't he worry that Teresa had failed to arm the security system upon returning home?

This is why his alleged statement is potentially incriminating.

My opinion is that LE checked with security company and they were told the alarm was turned off at a certain time on a certain day and LE knows who was in the home at that time.
It was probably done while Teresa was still away

JMO

My opinion is that LE checked with security company and they were told the alarm was turned off at a certain time on a certain day and LE knows who was in the home at that time.

JMO

I think your'e probably right, Dushi.

Federal law prohibits the importing, marketing, sale, possession or use of such wireless signal jamming devices, in part because of the public safety issue of people needing to make 911 calls. Unlike radar detectors that are strictly passive, these jammers can proactively block cellphones, Wi-Fi, GPS, aircraft communications and even two-way radios used by law enforcement and emergency personnel.
http://www.tbo.com/news/business/fcc-seffner-man-was-using-cell-phone-jammer-20140429/

“My area has had several burglaries, and police report the thieves are using GSM/Cellular Jammers to prevent alarm systems from accessing a cellular signal while they burglarize the houses. Is my FrontPoint system susceptible to this type of device?”
The Effect on Cellular Alarm Systems

We know cell jammers can work on mobile phones, but can they also block the signal in your home security system with cellular monitoring?

The answer is yes, cell jammers can disrupt the signals of cellular radios because they use the same frequencies as mobile devices. Sensors will not be affected, as they operate on a separate military-grade frequency, but are limited in range.

The most affordable cell jammers have a limited range. If a customer places their panel in a recommended location, away from doors and windows, a burglar will have a hard time knowing if they’re in range.

http://blog.frontpointsecurity.com/the-truth-about-cell-jammers/

1. If a jammer was used, there is a chance that the cell/wireless service provider has evidence, a record of an outage or jam near the home;

2. The security company may have no record of a disrupted signal;

3. LE is probably very interested in the location of the "panel" and whether it was recently moved near doors/windows;

4. Use of a jammer might have required two people (one to deal with the device, one to murder)

I wonder if a jammer device turned up on July 12 in MO.

JMO

I'm not arguing that point. I'm certain investigators did find that out from the security company. My point is that it would be unprofessional and detrimental to the investigation to divulge that info to anyone outside of the investigation, including Mark Sievers.

I'm not arguing that point. I'm certain investigators did find that out from the security company. My point is that it would be unprofessional and detrimental to the investigation to divulge that info to anyone outside of the investigation, including Mark Sievers.

I agree, but maybe LE didn't divulge the information
Maybe the person who forgot to reset the alarm did.

I am guessing here

I am guessing here

You're missing the point.

Unless the killers were already inside, Teresa would have had the opportunity to set the alarm. In that case, whether or not Mark's mom set the alarm would be irrelevant.

For Mark to suggest that the failure of the alarm was due to his mim's error suggests knowledge that Teresa didn't have the opportunity to arm the system -- knowledge that he should not have.

You're missing the point.

Unless the killers were already inside, Teresa would have had the opportunity to set the alarm. In that case, whether or not Mark's mom set the alarm would be irrelevant.

For Mark to suggest that the failure of the alarm was due to his mim's error suggests knowledge that Teresa didn't have the opportunity to arm the system -- knowledge that he should not have.

LOL, you are right, I am not getting it
I will re-read and think

Thanks

No matter what the brand or where they’re sold, the two researchers found identical problems: All the wireless alarm systems they examined rely on radio frequency signals sent between door and window sensors to a control system that triggers an alarm when any of these entryways are breached. The signals deploy any time a tagged window or door is opened, whether or not the alarm is enabled. But when enabled, the system will trip the alarm and also send a silent alert to the monitoring company, which contacts the occupants and/or the police.

“Jamming the intra-home communications suppresses alarms to both the occupants and the monitoring company,” Lamb says.
http://www.wired.com/2014/07/hacking-home-alarms/

I am guessing here

Agree, but if one didn't know specifically when the killers entered the home, it would be possible that TS not setting the alarm when she got home would make the earlier deactivation irrelevant.

Not sure that makes any sense, but Scout's previous post (about MS possibly showing insider knowledge) really made me think.

ETA: posted at the same time Scout was clarifying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe MS does know she was ambushed as she entered the house
He knows when her flight arrived
Duntulum told us that the argument and shrill were not TS, so its apparent that family has a rough idea of TOD.
And then there is that van that is still in LE custody, with dents in the back
I find it very hard to believe there is no video of TS driving home

I am trying to give everyone the benefit of the doubt because there are so few facts available
I don't want to bend what we know or assume to fit my opinions
Its very difficult

The statement that Mark allegedly made to Todd Lifka that he was concerned his mother may have failed to arm the security system or inadvertently disarmed it is potentially incriminating. It indicates his knowledge that Teresa had no opportunity to arm the system herself, suggesting that she was indeed ambushed by an assailant or assailants already inside.

How would he have that knowledge? There are two possibilities: a leak from the investigation or personal involvement. IMO, the sheriff and his personnel have displayed professionalism, making a leak less likely. This is a detail that has significant evidentiary value and should be kept secret because, outside of investigators, the only persons who would know it are the killers.

From what information I've gathered, a security system that is disarmed is not "off" and will still detect motion and the opening/closing of doors and windows. UNLESS the frequency is illegally jammed. If the alarm company has no record of doors opening/motion in the house on the night in question, IMO, a jammer was utilized and that explains why they were testing the system after the murder. If it was a simple case of MS mother not arming the system, the security company wouldn't gain information from testing the system after the fact. JMO.

From what information I've gathered, a security system that is disarmed is not "off" and will still detect motion and the opening/closing of doors and windows. UNLESS the frequency is illegally jammed. If the alarm company has no record of doors opening/motion in the house on the night in question, IMO, a jammer was utilized and that explains why they were testing the system after the murder. If it was a simple case of MS mother not arming the system, the security company wouldn't gain information from testing the system after the fact. JMO.

Another thought on the alarm...what if MS's mother was not arming and disarming the alarm but MS was. My elderly mother is very unsure and nervous of anything to do with my alarm after she set it off once, by mistake, and the police came! I can arm and disarm my alarm from my cell phone and I get a text message every time it is armed and disarmed as well as who is doing it. It could be possible that his Mother was also bothered by the alarm and he took care of it for her as he would know when she was going to check on the dogs. He may have accidentally, or purposefully, just forgotten to reset it on Saturday? Either way, I don't think the alarm was of any concern to JRR and CWW for whatever reason.

I can understand that after learning of TS's death, if I'd been last one known to have been in the house beforehand, I might have a guilty conscience about whether or not I'd reset the alarm. And I can understand telling the family, "I'm not sure I reset it."

Would I be absolutely able to swear up and down that I was the one who didn't set the alarm? That I remembered NOT doing it?

Isn't the family prepared to consider other possibilities? Such as that I did set it, absent-mindedly and out of habit, but after I left another person entered the house and turned off the alarm? Or that the perps had a plan/technology to turn off the alarm and it was just fluke that it was off anyway. Or that the fact that TS didn't turn on the alarm is potentially significant to the case?

And doesn't it occur to the family that the security company/police investigation wouldn't necessarily share all the info with them?

I can say, if I were that person who thinks I forgot to turn on the alarm, I'd start being alarmed at how quick the family was to publicly point the finger at me rather than waiting for the various possibilities to reveal themselves and let it come out at trial.

I can understand that after learning of TS's death, if I'd been last one known to have been in the house beforehand, I might have a guilty conscience about whether or not I'd reset the alarm. And I can understand telling the family, "I'm not sure I reset it."

Would I be absolutely able to swear up and down that I was the one who didn't set the alarm? That I remembered NOT doing it?

Isn't the family prepared to consider other possibilities? Such as that I did set it, absent-mindedly and out of habit, but after I left another person entered the house and turned off the alarm? Or that the perps had a plan/technology to turn off the alarm and it was just fluke that it was off anyway. Or that the fact that TS didn't turn on the alarm is potentially significant to the case?

And doesn't it occur to the family that the security company/police investigation wouldn't necessarily share all the info with them?

I can say, if I were that person who thinks I forgot to turn on the alarm, I'd start being alarmed at how quick the family was to publicly point the finger at me rather than waiting for the various possibilities to reveal themselves and let it come out at trial.

Its hard to say for sure, but I would be so surprised if Statewide Security didn't offer some kind of mobile app with monitoring capabilities, which probably included ability to arm/disarm remotely. Your theory makes perfect sense. Working off that, its suspect to me that MS would tell Kitty Lifka that his mom "may" have forgot to turn on the alarm. IMO, he would know for sure whether or not the house was alarmed! He could pull up the record of arm/disarm on his phone with a timestamp.

This is what mine does. I have an adt and I can look at the app or online and see all activity the system picks up. It documents this whether or not the system is set to go off.

The statement that Mark allegedly made to Todd Lifka that he was concerned his mother may have failed to arm the security system or inadvertently disarmed it is potentially incriminating. It indicates his knowledge that Teresa had no opportunity to arm the system herself, suggesting that she was indeed ambushed by an assailant or assailants already inside.

How would he have that knowledge? There are two possibilities: a leak from the investigation or personal involvement. IMO, the sheriff and his personnel have displayed professionalism, making a leak less likely. This is a detail that has significant evidentiary value and should be kept secret because, outside of investigators, the only persons who would know it are the killers.
Maybe the security company has the ability to tell when an alarm is active, When its not, etc. it could have been all recorded in their security IT system and shared with MS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scyna0895
Back