The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 26th June - Trial Day 11, Week 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
People bleed when they get hurt. It doesn't always mean there is violence involved. I heard no theories from either side.

I feel like I'm in trouble now lol :angel:

Don't be silly :p

I know what you mean, I just think about the chances of something happening in the 8 weeks they'd had that car........it just feels improbable.

I can't think of a time I've ever bled in any car....he must be a very unlucky guy if he didn't do it.

Different opinions are a good thing socks! Don't be scared to share yours! :blowkiss:

1:15pm Wrap: So far today ...

* The court has heard that Mr Baden-Clay will step into the witness box to give evidence in his defence. Mr Baden-Clay's choice exposes him to intense cross-examination by the prosecution.

* The court has also heard the defence will call witnesses, including a forensic psychiatrist and toxicologist.

* Mr Baden-Clay's defence barrister Michael Byrne QC has started his opening address highlighting details of his client's marriage, his affairs and his business dealings.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...y-11-week-3-20140626-3aumz.html#ixzz35iBLPZZ2

1:06pm: Among the conditions, Mr Byrne explained, was that Mrs Baden-Clay would check her husband's mobile phone each night to monitor his calls, text messages and emails.

"It was a kind of routine where he'd hand the phone to her ... and not get it back until the morning."

The court has previously heard Mr Baden-Clay's mobile phone was connected to a charger at 1.18am on April 20, 2012 and disconnected about 6.18am.

He reported his wife missing at 7.15am.

Mr Baden-Clay has maintained he went to bed at 10pm on April 19, 2012.

He has said he was a heavy sleeper.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...y-11-week-3-20140626-3aumz.html#ixzz35i8xfwvQ

There we go. He is going to say Allison connected the phone to the charger.

1:06pm: Among the conditions, Mr Byrne explained, was that Mrs Baden-Clay would check her husband's mobile phone each night to monitor his calls, text messages and emails.

"It was a kind of routine where he'd hand the phone to her ... and not get it back until the morning."

The court has previously heard Mr Baden-Clay's mobile phone was connected to a charger at 1.18am on April 20, 2012 and disconnected about 6.18am.

He reported his wife missing at 7.15am.

Mr Baden-Clay has maintained he went to bed at 10pm on April 19, 2012.

He has said he was a heavy sleeper.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...y-11-week-3-20140626-3aumz.html#ixzz35i8xfwvQ

Obviously the fact that the phone was put on the charger at 1.18 am has been a worry for the defense, so they have introduced this "fact" about GBC handing his mobile to Alison every evening. Hope the jury will see through this.

How did he google pleading the 5th on his phone...without his phone?

Ohhhhh very well spotted there!

Annnnnd he sent texts to people on the Thursday night, so he obviously was in possession of his phone then.

pm: Mr Byrne told the jury the accused was still with his wife in early 2011 and between the two of them, things had become a bit easier.

“She seemed, from Gerard’s point of view, to be getting better, on a much more even plain emotionally,” he said.

He said the accused was involved in the children’s school, at their kindergarten and did a lot of lunches, school picks ups, cooking and even washing.

Mr Byrne said things still weren’t going well on a physical level with his wife and during a conference in Sydney, he had a brief sexual relationship with a woman called Jacqui Crane.

“It was a physical relationship,” Mr Byrne said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-allison-in-2012/story-fnihsrf2-1226966924597

ah... that was priceless stuff... even I .. cynical Trooper, snarky Trooper , didn't think it would be that gluey and sticky and treacly... really, I didn't.. Barbara Cartland couldn't have done it better.. .

It seemed to me as though Mr Byrne was trying to lull us - with all that gluey stickiness - into a kind of stupor, so that we would forget all the evidence presented, and would see nothing but poor Gerard's pitiful plight!

Well, we Websleuthers are made of sterner stuff, and I hope the Jury are too.

His phone was sending mass text messages to people related to C21 on the 19th… so it was Allison doing that? What a load of something!

For a sneaky guy I am gobsmacked that he handed his phone over each night and was given it back in the morning! Biggest load of codswallop. No bloke does that. Hard enough to get my kids tl do that! It must have been a decoy phone.

Always had the ol' shoe phone though, didn't you 86? ;)

Obviously the fact that the phone was put on the charger at 1.18 am has been a worry for the defense, so they have introduced this "fact" about GBC handing his mobile to Alison every evening. Hope the jury will see through this.

Tailoring!!

He said the business was set to open on January 10, 2011 with a full sales team of 25 people when the floods hit.

“It was a cruel, untimely and rather devastating event for a new, heavily staffed real estate agency,” Mr Byrne said.

He said the business’ finances were going down and Phil Broome sold his 25 per cent of the rent toll to Jocelyn Frost.

Mr Byrne said the accused would tell them his partners wanted to sack the staff and put it into receivership.

He said Baden-Clay did not want that and he spoke to his friends, who formed an advisory group, and loaned him significant funds to prop up the business.

“He’ll say he wasn’t asking for a hand out, he wanted them to look at the business… and as you’ve heard recently, that’s what they did,” he said.

“They agreed to loan the money on condition that Gerard was in control and they would be involved in the day to day affairs and look at the accounts…”

Mr Byrne said Jocelyn Frost and Phil Broom agreed to stay on in the business but Ms Frost was given an advance of $10,000. But Mr Byrne said when the cheque cleared, she resigned rather than stayed on as a sales person, and went to another business.

He said the pair had challenged the accused about his affair with Toni McHugh.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-allison-in-2012/story-fnihsrf2-1226966924597

I wonder if GBC ever told the police about this "fact" before?

He said the pair had challenged the accused about his affair with Toni McHugh.

“There was a fallout when Toni McHugh became aware of that and various things happened, one of those, which I touched on earlier, was that in September, October, 2011, during the day, Gerard received a telephone call from Allison who wanted to see him urgently and they needed to talk,” Mr Byrne said.

He said the accused told his wife on that at MacDonalds that he wanted to be with her and his daughters.

Mr Byrne said the accused called Ms McHugh and ended the relationship.

“Unlike Allison’s reaction, Toni lost it. She yelled, called him a low life for using her for three years…,” he said.

Mr Byrne said Baden-Clay told his staff about the affair so they could make their own decision about whether they wanted to stay in the business.

“He’ll tell you he felt relieved it was out, he knew from what Allison had told him… he knew that he’d still be dropping the children off and school and he knew that the parents would know. So he went and told the principal at the school, this is what happened, I’ve had an affair and I’m back with my wife,” he said.

Mr Byrne said getting over an affair was “very hard”.

“He’ll describe the period following that as extremely challenging both for Allison and himself,” he said.

He said Ms Baden-Clay laid down some “ground rules”, which included having no contact with Ms McHugh.

Mr Byrne said neither of them talked to family or even their close friends about it.

“Allison told him that if he was prepared to recommit to the relationship then she would as well and over the next few months things improved,” he said.

Mr Byrne said the pair began communicating more and he had no contact with Ms McHugh.

“He’ll say that, however, around Christmas, he felt he needed to say to Toni that he didn’t hate her and he was sorry and so they met for coffee… it’s not your fault, it’s mine and you shouldn’t be down about this but they continued after that, not regularly, they continued to have some contact,” he said.

He said the business was “beginning to turn the corner” but “far from out of the woods” in Baden-Clay’s mind.

Mr Byrne said the accused sold his Lexus and bought a Holden Captiva and sub-let the office space at Taringa to reduce the rent.

He said Ms Baden-Clay was working at the business about three or four days per week, looking after the financials and the business was “running efficiently”.

Mr Byrne said the accused had loans from his friends and the option to buy out Ms Frost and Mr Broom by September, 2012.

He said the accused was not too concerned about where he would get the money from.

Mr Byrne said one of the people he contacted was Moggill MP Bruce Flegg.

“He’ll admit he was a little depressed but he still had an optimistic view of the way things would go,” he said.

“He had expectations that he would be able to borrow that money in time in September.”

Mr Byrne told the jury that the accused and his wife were working “really hard” on their relationship.

“He’ll tell you quite frankly and openly he thought she was the strongest mentally she had been for many years,” he said.

He said the conditions he agreed to was giving his wife a password to his phone and that they attended counselling together.

Tessa Scott ‏@TessaScott9 39s

Jury now seeing close up of the timelapse. Told to take note of the debris underneath the bridge. @9NewsBrisbane #badenclay

Sorry I'm still catching up but this is just ridiculous! So what are the defence trying to say, that the same type of plants as those found in Allison's hair (and were also found to be growing at her house), floated down the creek and entangled themselves in her hair? Seriously?? Well the majority of the plant species found in her hair did not come from the creek area, so obviously they floated down the river and jumped into Allison's hair! :banghead:

Don't be silly :p

I know what you mean, I just think about the chances of something happening in the 8 weeks they'd had that car........it just feels improbable.

I can't think of a time I've ever bled in any car....he must be a very unlucky guy if he didn't do it.

Different opinions are a good thing socks! Don't be scared to share yours! :blowkiss:

I'm just trying to think with my brain and not with my heart is all. I grieve for Allison and her family very much. I just don't agree with the persecution of G by personality. I've known some truly dodgy personalities that wouldn't hurt a fly.

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 4s

Byrne says Allison would take Gerard's phone when he got home and would give it back in the morning. #badenclay

We're breaking for lunch. #badenclay

Here we go - leading to Allison putting it on the charger at 1.48am. :banghead:

I truly hope that TM has some serious support in the coming weeks! she's going to need it. I hope that she's not another 'casualty' of GBC...

Did they mean "decreased libido"? What husband complains because his wife has an increased libido?

A guy married to a fattie? It's right there: increased libido and weight gain.

No, I jest. Obviously "decreased" is the right word if you look at the context. If their love life suffered because of her INcreased libido and weight gain, it would be a pretty strange thing for the defence to bring up. It makes him sound so much worse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing-CC