The Fall Of Kabul To The Taliban

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the presser. I am not comforted at all. I heard the POTUS say, to the Americans trying to flee...
" You've got to get to the airport" But, again he offered no secure way there. As I linked earlier, per the U.S Embassy page.

U.S. Embassy Kabul (August 19, 2021) | U.S. Embassy in Afghanistan

Does anyone remember the fictitious book, and movie made..."The Running Man" ( By Stephen King)
That is how I picture those in Afghanistan trying to flee. But sadly, this is real life

I watched the presser. I am not comforted at all. I heard the POTUS say, to the Americans trying to flee...
" You've got to get to the airport" But, again he offered no secure way there. As I linked earlier, per the U.S Embassy page.

U.S. Embassy Kabul (August 19, 2021) | U.S. Embassy in Afghanistan

Does anyone remember the fictitious book, and movie made..."The Running Man" ( By Stephen King)
That is how I picture those in Afghanistan trying to flee. But sadly, this is real life
I know. It is tempting to send huge forces back to sweep the country and rescue everyone. That is the most secure way there we could offer.

I do find it curious that Biden always phrases it as "Americans who want to leave". I know evacuation has been advised since June. Is it possible that any Americans don't want to leave? I know this may be ridiculous or even insulting, but is it anything like those who ride out natural disasters against advice - this is home, and I'll stay no matter what? Otherwise, it sounds like CYA in case they don't get everyone out.

He lied to our Allies, as well as the Allied troops and all people affected by his decisions.

Biden Assured Allies in June U.S. Would Ensure Kabul’s Stability

"President Joe Biden told key allies in June that he would maintain enough of a security presence in Afghanistan to ensure they could continue to operate in the capital following the main U.S. withdrawal, a vow made before the Taliban’s rapid final push across the country, according to a British diplomatic memo seen by Bloomberg.

Biden promised U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson and other leaders at the Group of Seven summit in Cornwall, England, that “critical U.S. enablers” would remain in place to keep Kabul safe following the drawdown of NATO forces, the note said. British officials determined the U.S. would provide enough personnel to ensure that the U.K. embassy in Kabul could continue operating. "

"The discussions between G7 leaders highlight how Western governments were caught off guard by the speed of the Taliban advance. Foreign ministers in both the U.K. and Germany have faced calls to quit over their initially sluggish efforts to extract officials on the ground, other nationals and the Afghans who worked with them."

Per Jennifer Jacobs ( Senior White House reporter for Bloomberg News) on the twitsphere:

"Scoop: Biden told key allies in June that he would maintain enough of a security presence in Afghanistan to ensure they could continue to operate in Kabul after US withdrawal, according to a British diplomatic memo seen by Bloomberg. "

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1428802454158721026

He lied to our Allies, as well as the Allied troops and all people affected by his decisions.

Biden Assured Allies in June U.S. Would Ensure Kabul’s Stability

"President Joe Biden told key allies in June that he would maintain enough of a security presence in Afghanistan to ensure they could continue to operate in the capital following the main U.S. withdrawal, a vow made before the Taliban’s rapid final push across the country, according to a British diplomatic memo seen by Bloomberg.

Biden promised U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson and other leaders at the Group of Seven summit in Cornwall, England, that “critical U.S. enablers” would remain in place to keep Kabul safe following the drawdown of NATO forces, the note said. British officials determined the U.S. would provide enough personnel to ensure that the U.K. embassy in Kabul could continue operating. "

"The discussions between G7 leaders highlight how Western governments were caught off guard by the speed of the Taliban advance. Foreign ministers in both the U.K. and Germany have faced calls to quit over their initially sluggish efforts to extract officials on the ground, other nationals and the Afghans who worked with them."

Per Jennifer Jacobs ( Senior White House reporter for Bloomberg News) on the twitsphere:

"Scoop: Biden told key allies in June that he would maintain enough of a security presence in Afghanistan to ensure they could continue to operate in Kabul after US withdrawal, according to a British diplomatic memo seen by Bloomberg. "

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1428802454158721026

Interesting, so we aren't the only ones who goofed up here then, since foreign ministers in the UK and Germany have faced calls to quit? As for "lies"... you can only guarantee so much if the local leaders on the ground took money to peacefully allow the Taliban in when we left and the Afghan army could no longer see their way to fight. Looking forward to a massive "coalition of the willing" to help us defray the human and monetary costs of saving Afghanistan for another decade or so.

The Brits, Germany and France are sending in paratroopers and special ops to rescue their citizens as well as others.

As a German I believe when I see it, our military these days is very weak.
From what German nationals are posting on twitter they are being left alone as well and can't reach anyone to tell them where to go and what to do to get out.

One problem is that most Afghans who helped German troops don't live in Kabul but in Kunduz or Masar-i-sharif and I don't how they will get to them.

Germany took in close to 200,000 Afghans in the last 10 years, I think it's time for other nations that were involved much more in the military action in Afghanistan to take their fair share but I guess many, mostly men - will reach Germany coming via land and boats in the near future.

So I feel like most of the Afgani gov't was complicit in its fall and the handing of the nation over to the Taliban. They are now in the wind, and much wealthier. Have they spoken since the Kabul fell? Not that I've heard.

The former President did give some kind of statement from the UAE (?) where he is now. He said he left to avoid as much bloodshed as possible given the Taliban taking over and that he didn't take money with him. He may have said some other stuff...I just don't recall.

Which isn't to say I believe him. Just to say that he has spoken. I also saw that someone posted a pic of his daughter casually walking around NYC yesterday, I believe.

eta: Here's an article about the daughter living in NYC. Someone posted upthread that her father lived in the US for many years.

Daughter of exiled Afghan President Ashraf Ghani living artist life in NYC

Last edited:
So I feel like most of the Afgani gov't was complicit in its fall and the handing of the nation over to the Taliban. They are now in the wind, and much wealthier. Have they spoken since the Kabul fell? Not that I've heard.

Welcome to Websleuths PennyGee!!

And, I agree with you there, the Afghan government totally dropped the ball! But, this should have been a known contingency to the U.S. and Allied forces. They have worked together with the Afghanistan army for twenty years, and their apathy and trust ability were not a secret, IMO

Honestly, any way we left would have been a disaster. The real problem now, is how to respond in an appropriate manner to clean up this mess. At this point in time, the UN should step up, and make an effort to suggest a cohesive solution.
Disagree. There was zero thought into this exit. We could have planned a staged exit:

1. Remove our Afghani allies.
2. Remove our advanced tech and weapons.
3. Pull back to the airport.
4. Destroy our bases.
5. Leave.

But even maintaining a small force in perpetuity would have been better than this.

Disagree. There was zero thought into this exit. We could have planned a staged exit:

1. Remove our Afghani allies.
2. Remove our advanced tech and weapons.
3. Pull back to the airport.
4. Destroy our bases.
5. Leave.

But even maintaining a small force in perpetuity would have been better than this.

Anything would have been better than this, imo. I honestly can't think of a worse outcome under all of the circumstances.

Defense Secretary Austin contradicts Biden, says Americans beaten by Taliban trying to reach airport

BBM:

"Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin contradicted President Biden on Friday, telling House lawmakers on a phone call that multiple Americans trying to reach the Kabul airport have been beaten by Taliban fighters, two lawmakers told Fox News.

Austin called the beatings "unacceptable," a person on the phone call told Fox News. Austin's remarks starkly contrasted with what Biden told reporters after his speech on Friday.

When asked about reports that some Americans were being blocked from reaching Hamid Karzai International Airport for evacuation, Biden denied that any Americans were having such trouble. "

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Canada has said it’s up to individuals to make it through Taliban checkpoints to the Kabul airport.

A contingent of Canadian soldiers landed in Kabul recently to help with the evacuation, having been flown in by an ally.

Mr. Trudeau would not say Friday when asked if Canadian soldiers would venture outside the airport to help evacuees get inside.

Another Canadian Globemaster was en route to Kabul Friday afternoon, according to Steffan Watkins, an Ottawa-based researcher who tracks ship and plane movements.

The vetting of passengers will not take place in Kabul; instead, it will be done in third-party countries.

After being flown to those countries, Afghans who once worked for Canada and their families will be subject to biometric identification to ensure they can prove their eligibility for resettlement in Canada, the government said.

Almost 190 evacuees airlifted on first Canadian flight from Kabul since Taliban takeover

It's something that I can't put into words, honestly. Everything, everything that I dreamed of, everything that I ever worked for. My dignity, my pride, even my existence as a girl, my life - they are all in danger. Who knows how long it would take them to come and search house-by-house and take girls - probably rape them. I may have to kill myself when they come to my home. I've been talking to my friends, this is what all of us, all of us, are planning to do. Death is better than being taken by them.

Taliban and women: Kabul university student on fears for future

The Associated Press
@AP

U.S. helicopters have ferried 96 Afghans to the Kabul airport for evacuation, signaling that U.S. military flights are taking place beyond the airport perimeters in the Afghan capital.

The Latest: Blinken says 12 nations to host Afghan evacuees

KABUL, Afghanistan — U.S. helicopters have ferried 96 Afghans to the Kabul airport for evacuation, signaling that U.S. military flights are taking place beyond the airport perimeters in the Afghan capital.

Senior American military officials told The Associated Press that an American CH-47 Chinook helicopter picked up the Afghans, mostly women and children, and ferried them to Hamid Karzai International Airport on Friday. U.S. Army’s 3rd Brigade Combat Team of the 82nd Airborne Division airlifted the Afghans from Camp Sullivan, near the Kabul airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke