The FBI, The DMV and facial recognition software

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

believe09

Reaction score
http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20091013/ap_on_hi_te/us_fbi_license_photos

It goes without saying that many watch dog groups are concerned with this program; the FBI states that they are NOT warehousing photos that they pull...they dump the data after they do a check.

When was the last time you had your DL photo taken and did they ask you to position your head a certain way and not smile? Your answer as to why is contained within this article. Do you feel like your personal liberty is at stake with this program?

I would be more concerned about my personal liberty if it were producing lots of false positives and causing folks to get hauled in for crimes they didn't commit, otherwise, is it so very different from fingerprinting or DNA? Or even a regular photo lineup?

Besides which, I don't even know if this kind of technology works that well. I have facial recognition on my computer and it only lets me in if I sit just a certain way and have a certain look on my face, as well as if I happen to have my hair pulled back in a ponytail, and oh yeah, I can't be wearing glasses. I usually have to bypass it with a password.

Do you feel like your personal liberty is at stake with this program?
Yes. But, as we know from the level of violent crime discussed on this forum, I think we will have little choice but to rethink, and relinquish, some of our personal freedoms to protect society from violent offenders. It's a sad reality, but I always come back to the thought, if you're not guilty of anything, you shouldn't have much to worry about. There is always room for error, but, science has proven much more reliable that eyewitness testimony, hunches, etc. At least this gives LE another viable tool to work with. And, prevention is worth a pound of cure. All this from a "liberal"!

By the way I do realize that the software on my own computer is probably not FBI-grade, but I don't really see it as any more of a threat to my personal liberty than security cameras and even web cams that are everywhere.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back