The film The Exorcist's actual murderer Paul Bateson - was he a serial killer as well?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Binx Bolling

Former Member
Reaction score
Searching For the Truth About the Actual Murderer in The Exorcist
For decades Paul Bateson's name has been attached to a spree of gruesome
murders in the '70s. This is our search for what's true and what's legend.

On September 14, 1977—less than four years after the release of The Exorcist—the body of Addison Verrill, a film reporter for Variety, was found in his Greenwich Village apartment. Initially, police suspected it was the result of a robbery gone bad. But, as the Village Voice’s Arthur Bell reported, “the TV, tape recorder, typewriter—stuff that a small-time crook could easily dispose of—had not been taken… It was not a break-in crime. Verrill had brought his assailant home or allowed him into the apartment.”

At this time in the mid '70s, Greenwich Village was experiencing a string of murders of gay men. A number of bodies of unidentified victims had been discovered, dismembered and placed in bags that were tossed into the Hudson River. These murders were rarely reported on. “Every year, there are approximately four ‘sexually oriented’ murders of gay men in the Greenwich Village area," Bell wrote. "Seldom do the papers report the crimes.”

On September 22, eight days after Verrill’s murder, Bell got a call from an unidentified person claiming to have killed Verrill. <>

After watching season 2 of Mind Hunter this serial killer caught my interest, he was a suspect in the bag murders, where 6 gay men were murdered and dismembered in New York and thrown in the Hudson River in 1975. According to https://murderpedia.org/male.B/b/bateson-paul.htm they were never identified but I can't find any of them on namus.gov. Bateson was sentened to 20 years to life in prison but was later released on parole in 2008. His current whearabouts are unknown but according to an article.

A record in the Social Security Death Index shows that a Paul F. Bateson, with the same birthdate and a Social Security number issued in Pennsylvania, died on September 15, 2012

The 6 gay men never made it into namus. There is no information at all on these unidentified men .
The only thing I have come across is the men in bags were both found in the East and Hudson rivers. The men all had leather clothing which all lead to a store in the village and the men were all in the same type of plastic bag.
I wish there were more info on each of these men.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceciliaesquivel2000@yahoo
Back