The Science & Statistics Behind Hot Car Deaths

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't use the camera! I have to turn around and look out my windows. The camera is all backwards.
Car seats are required until age 10? Aww heck lets make it 15. Unless you can drive, you should be required to ride in a car seat.

Some 10year olds are bigger than me!
ve3a2u9u.jpg

This one is only $1300.00!

One for the sporty preteen?
zyju6a8a.jpg

I am kidding it's a real seat for racing...

Ohh and one for me!
medu5u8u.jpg

I have to embrace this... I hope to have grandkids one day, and while it NEVER crossed my mind once when mine were young, now I am scared to death to put a baby in the car. At least I park in an air condition garage!

All posts are MOO

They did the booster seat thing by weight or height when I was a child and I've always been tiny so I had to be in one until I was well into elementary school. It was so embarrassing.

You know, this article is rather interesting: http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/1...o-toddler-left-in-sweltering-car-last-summer/ as Popsicle posted.

The similarities (except that she was a grandmother and not a father) are definitely there. She picked the little boy up from her daughter's, then forgot to take him to daycare and drove back to her house. Then she left him in the care while she went inside to sleep (she had worked the night shift). She went out to move the car later in the day AND DID NOT NOTICE THE BABY WAS THERE. Then at 5:00 she drove to the daycare to pick him up, and was told he had never been dropped off. So clearly there could not have been much odour. This woman was deaf, so that might have been a factor. But I see the similarity in that she forgot almost immediately that she had the baby in the car - even though her whole purpose in going to her daughter's house was to pick him up and take him to daycare. Then (second similarity) she went back to the car midday and did not notice the baby. Then (third) got in the car and drove some distance (to the daycare) and never noticed that he was in the car and had died.

So that is quite interesting to me.

Tink

so many.products out there from phone apps to back seat cameras to smart car seats that talk to your cell to alarms on the shoulder straps.
With all of these products on the market, there is no excuse.

Before 1990 this almost never happened.
They blame air bags and baby in the back seat.
Car manufacturers need to imstall dual back up back seat cameras.
Unless you are backing up camera is on in back seat.
So now everyone can see baby again and baby wont get forgotten.

Yeah right. I'm disappointed in mankind. If humans can't remember their children then we need to stop having them.

http://www.cnet.com/news/alarm-helps-parents-remember-kids-in-cars/

http://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/...05ca13/41au-0zkw4l-baby-first-monitor-220.jpg
ymugapug.jpg

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/6f4...14/07/01/1404272735000-PRECIOUS-CARGO-PIC.jpg

http://m.stltoday.com/news/local/cr...5021-ae14-d57ca57e051a.html?mobile_touch=true

zeqehaza.jpg

http://www.cnet.com/news/alarm-helps-parents-remember-kids-in-cars/

uqevu4up.jpg

All posts are MOO

I honestly think the biggest thing standing in the way is that people don't think they will ever forget their babies.

They would have to admit to themselves that they might forget in order to buy things like this. It would be like admitting that you suck at being a parent KWIM?

***SNIPPED

Yeah right. I'm disappointed in mankind. If humans can't remember their children then we need to stop having them.

***SNIPPED

Or maybe we should think about how we're living our lives....it seems like people are just too busy for their kids. Too busy doing what? That's a loaded question, and my answers are way OT...

I honestly think the biggest thing standing in the way is that people don't think they will ever forget their babies.

They would have to admit to themselves that they might forget in order to buy things like this. It would be like admitting that you suck at being a parent KWIM?

That is clearly the case from the majority of the posts here.

In 2008, my dd blogged about her fear of "forgetting" and leaving her baby anywhere [in the car] when she was mere weeks away from delivery. She lived in Dallas which has an extremely warm summer climate but this was wintertime and "a hot car death" was not her particular fear; whereas, forgetting her baby, in general, was her fear.
Hormones were adversely affecting her memory. She couldn't remember to do stuff. If she made a list, she forgot to take the list. Time was spent and frustration would seep in when she forgot everyday things but serious things like leaving her cell phone or day planner at home was alarming. She would forget important things like birthdays. She became so forgetful that she researched, wrote about and posted her concerns before her baby was born. Thankfully, her memory issues corrected themselves soon after giving birth to my beautiful grandbaby extraordinaire.
Additionally, my wonderful 82yo father sadly has the onset of dementia whereby he recalls what he did the summer of '42 but can't remember that he ate seven bananas yesterday even when he sees the banana bunch is now gone from the fruit bowl. He opened the trash compactor and saw seven banana peelings, but he shook his head and shrugged bc he cannot remember eating those seven bananas yesterday.

These true stories were shared to demonstrate my personal knowledge of and experience w/ human fallibilities such as forgetfulness.

I could almost understand, without compelling evidence to the contrary, JRH forgetting his child and heading to the HD parking lot, if this routine was per usual. I could almost understand right up to the point when he opened the driver's side door after returning from lunch with co-workers @ 12:30p. There is no doubt in my mind, that the vehicle's hot interior air was fouled with feces, urine and vomit that rushed at Ross when he opened the door of his Hyundai because hot air rises and it rose in those few seconds it took Ross to open the door widely enough, bend his body a little to be able to toss the light bulb package inside. JRHs nose would be right at the level where the odor would waft toward him with the suction created by opening the door, a powerful suction of pulling the interior malodorous air to the outside took place, imho. It only takes one small whiff to know very bad things had already happened inside that car to Cooper. I think this is why Ross did not dally around but closed the door rather quickly. Experts seem to agree, as best as possible with the info available, that Cooper died no later than eleven o'clock [and I pray it was much sooner].

If their expertise is reliable, JRH opens his driver's door appx ninety minutes, or longer, after Cooper's long struggle that lasted until his little heart expired in the hot car. That's plenty of time for a heavy stench to develop and permeate the air, the carpet and fabric seat coverings, if applicable. The jury will convict based on that knowledge alone. OTOH, if the guy can't smell a thing, more emphasis to any of the other clues, hints, indicators that JRH had that his son was still inside his car, ie., the dayschool email. Even seeing his vehicle at lunch should have rung a bell of some kind even if he cannot smell.

I am no expert and do not play one here. My opinions only ~ based on reviewing available case documents, videos and all that jazz.

I could almost understand, without compelling evidence to the contrary, JRH forgetting his child and heading to the HD parking lot, if this routine was per usual. I could almost understand right up to the point when he opened the driver's side door after returning from lunch with co-workers @ 12:30p. There is no doubt in my mind, that the vehicle's hot interior air was fouled with feces, urine and vomit that rushed at Ross when he opened the door of his Hyundai because hot air rises and it rose in those few seconds it took Ross to open the door widely enough, bend his body a little to be able to toss the light bulb package inside. JRHs nose would be right at the level where the odor would waft toward him with the suction created by opening the door, a powerful suction of pulling the interior malodorous air to the outside took place, imho. It only takes one small whiff to know very bad things had already happened inside that car to Cooper. I think this is why Ross did not dally around but closed the door rather quickly. Experts seem to agree, as best as possible with the info available, that Cooper died no later than eleven o'clock [and I pray it was much sooner].

If their expertise is reliable, JRH opens his driver's door appx ninety minutes, or longer, after Cooper's long struggle that lasted until his little heart expired in the hot car. That's plenty of time for a heavy stench to develop and permeate the air, the carpet and fabric seat coverings, if applicable. The jury will convict based on that knowledge alone. OTOH, if the guy can't smell a thing, more emphasis to any of the other clues, hints, indicators that JRH had that his son was still inside his car, ie., the dayschool email. Even seeing his vehicle at lunch should have rung a bell of some kind even if he cannot smell.

I am no expert and do not play one here. My opinions only ~ based on reviewing available case documents, videos and all that jazz.

This was how I felt originally. BUT, if you look at my earlier post in this thread - there was a case in Milton, Ontario (near where I live) where a grandmother left her grandson in the car and he died. She moved the car in the middle of the day and DID NOT NOTICE anything. She drove the car to the daycare to pick him up at the end of the day, and again, did not not notice anything. It was only when the daycare told her that her grandson had never been dropped off that she returned to the car to find him dead.

I had thought that there would be an overwhelming odour. This case suggests to me that this may not actually happen, at least not in every case. In fact, reading about other cases suggests that other people have done similar things - driven some distance with a deceased child in the car and not known it.

Tink

Then are you saying LE is lying about the odor reeking from the car?
No snark intended, truly asking.

"@11AliveNews: RT @kaitlynross1 Police say a Good Samaritan called police after 4 kids, ages 6,4,2 and 1 were in the car for 16 minutes outside grocery..."

They are all ok.
Mom is being booked.

All posts are MOO

"@11AliveNews: RT @kaitlynross1 Police say a Good Samaritan called police after 4 kids, ages 6,4,2 and 1 were in the car for 16 minutes outside grocery..."

They are all ok.
Mom is being booked.

All posts are MOO

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Keep up the good work, y'all!

LOS GATOS, Calif. -

"The Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office announced on Monday that it will not file charges against a Los Gatos father for the death of his 9-month-old son."
http://m.ksbw.com/news/los-gatos-dad-who-left-baby-in-hot-car-cleared-of-all-charges/27183434

All posts are MOO

I noticed the lack of sleep and change in routine.

Hernandez lived in Los Gatos with his wife, the baby and two children. On April 16, Hernandez went to bed at 2 a.m., woke up at 6 a.m., and got his two children ready for school and the baby ready for in-home day care. Generally, Hernandez would take the two older children to school and drop the baby off at the sitter on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Due to his wife's new job, Hernandez was planning to drop the baby off at the sitter’s on April 16 before going to work himself. This was a change in the normal weekly routine.

Shortly after 8 a.m., Hernandez got all three children into the car. His oldest daughter sat in the front passenger seat and his middle son sat in the back seat next to the sleeping baby who was secured in an infant seat. Hernandez dropped his older son off at middle school first and then dropped his daughter off at her high school. Hernandez then drove toward the babysitter’s home and his work.

Read more: http://www.ksbw.com/news/central-ca...cleared-of-all-charges/27183434#ixzz38rqKukbO

There is a petition. I didn't know about it.
It only has 7000 signatures.

All posts are MOO

This was how I felt originally. BUT, if you look at my earlier post in this thread - there was a case in Milton, Ontario (near where I live) where a grandmother left her grandson in the car and he died. She moved the car in the middle of the day and DID NOT NOTICE anything. She drove the car to the daycare to pick him up at the end of the day, and again, did not not notice anything. It was only when the daycare told her that her grandson had never been dropped off that she returned to the car to find him dead.

I had thought that there would be an overwhelming odour. This case suggests to me that this may not actually happen, at least not in every case. In fact, reading about other cases suggests that other people have done similar things - driven some distance with a deceased child in the car and not known it.

Tink

Differences that I noticed in the babies' funeral services were that the Ontario distressed parents were unable to speak at their son's funeral. Their baby boy was buried in a white casket.

The 52yo Ontario grandmother was completely deaf which prevented her from hearing his cries for help. The GMa picked up the child to take him to daycare but forgot to drop him off and drove home to sleep instead. Around noon she moved her car. Why? I read 7 articles and could not find a reason for her moving her car at noon. None of the articles mentioned an odor in the car.
Also, she drives, with her grandson, who is dead, but still in the car with her, to daycare where she is told he never arrived. The GMa goes back to her vehicle where the baby boy is dead in his seat and she drives home where her daughter grabs her child from out of the car. Why didn't the GMa call for emergency help while at the daycare?
The crown was far too understanding in the GMa's sentencing of two yrs suspended and probation, imo.

Then are you saying LE is lying about the odor reeking from the car?
No snark intended, truly asking.

No, I don't think they are lying. But perhaps the odour starts later. I had thought it would be obvious by lunchtime, but it seems perhaps it was not, since in other cases parents have apparently not noticed. Someone suggested at one point that perhaps there isn't much odour until the child is moved - which had happened by the time LE arrived in Cooper's situation. I don't know.

Tink

Differences that I noticed in the babies' funeral services were that the Ontario distressed parents were unable to speak at their son's funeral. Their baby boy was buried in a white casket.

The 52yo Ontario grandmother was completely deaf which prevented her from hearing his cries for help. The GMa picked up the child to take him to daycare but forgot to drop him off and drove home to sleep instead. Around noon she moved her car. Why? I read 7 articles and could not find a reason for her moving her car at noon. None of the articles mentioned an odor in the car.
Also, she drives, with her grandson, who is dead, but still in the car with her, to daycare where she is told he never arrived. The GMa goes back to her vehicle where the baby boy is dead in his seat and she drives home where her daughter grabs her child from out of the car. Why didn't the GMa call for emergency help while at the daycare?
The crown was far too understanding in the GMa's sentencing of two yrs suspended and probation, imo.

I don't know why she moved the car either. I'm assuming she didn't call for help (on a phone) because she is deaf, but I don't know why she didn't go back into the daycare to ask them to call. Perhaps panic and shock? We don't always behave rationally in those situations. Being deaf, she may have had difficulty communicating with the daycare staff and so went to her daughter?

What do you think an appropriate sentence would have been? Are you saying you think she did this intentionally?

Tink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member