The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They didnt believe a crime had been committed.

Troogrit, that has been a major problem from the very start of this case! It is still the MAJOR stumbling block of the entire thing, if it's not a crime then there isn't much reason to search for anything is there? Just let us all flounder in the wind...
I am talking about the very first night. They walked the house, visually inspecting and making a report. The next day it was declared a crime scene. They may have then found other evidence not known to the public. This is why they came to the conclusion it was sexual assault as a motive. Its 24 hours before they can declare it a crime I believe.

I am talking about the very first night. They walked the house, visually inspecting and making a report. The next day it was declared a crime scene. They may have then found other evidence not known to the public. This is why they came to the conclusion it was sexual assault as a motive. Its 24 hours before they can declare it a crime I believe.

When did the other LE agencies join the investigation?

I believe the FBI was involved in the first week, the Sherriff and the MHP, actually there daily briefings made public if I remember correctly.

I hate to sound disagreeable but the fact is that when I had my row with the lead officer of the SPD and went to the MHP in response a senior member of that organization told me to my face that they were told their services were not needed. So far as I know the only time they were involved was during the initial search for the women. As to actual investigation of the case itself I have no personal knowledge one way or or another whether they were. I suppose the officer was misinformed or misinformed me or I could have misunderstood him. But that is my clear recollection to this day.

Of course this may all be a matter of semantics. Perhaps all these agencies were involved early on and they dropped out of the investigation as the SPD took total control of the case and all future investigation going forward.

I hate to sound disagreeable but the fact is that when I had my row with the lead officer of the SPD and went to the MHP in response a senior member of that organization told me to my face that they were told their services were not needed. So far as I know the only time they were involved was during the initial search for the women. As to actual investigation of the case itself I have no personal knowledge one way or or another whether they were. I suppose the officer was misinformed or misinformed me or I could have misunderstood him. But that is my clear recollection to this day.

Of course this may all be a matter of semantics. Perhaps all these agencies were involved early on and they dropped out of the investigation as the SPD took total control of the case and all future investigation going forward.

Well I guess it depends on what you consider early, we know that that other agencies were involved after this as well, we already know about the review.

"The highway patrol has been involved in this investigation since its inception. Not only the highway patrol, but the Greene County Sheriffs department, The FBI, the Greene County prosecutor's office, as well as the United States Districts Attorneys Office have been involved with us. We have a daily briefing at 4 p.m. each day. These individuals were invited since day one, and have continued to participate, and provided assistance in searching areas or in the case of the attorneys--legal assistance."
Tony Glenn NL July 13, 1992

Well I guess it depends on what you consider early, we know that that other agencies were involved after this as well, we already know about the review.

"The highway patrol has been involved in this investigation since its inception. Not only the highway patrol, but the Greene County Sheriffs department, The FBI, the Greene County prosecutor's office, as well as the United States Districts Attorneys Office have been involved with us. We have a daily briefing at 4 p.m. each day. These individuals were invited since day one, and have continued to participate, and provided assistance in searching areas or in the case of the attorneys--legal assistance."

The MHP joined in the investigation on day 1, June 8th; the FBI on June 9th, and their violent crime expert arrived July 18th.

I had my conversation with the MHP officer at the headquarters and filed a report on or about November, 1992 shortly after I had my "situation" with the detective at the SPD when I reported the van I saw. Now whether or not the MHP bowed out at their own discretion or whether they were asked to eliminate their participation I cannot say. What I can say is what I was told and that was plainly that their services were not needed. As I said, it could have been misinterpreted, misstated, or my memory could be faulty although I don't believe that to be the case.

Why did I go to the MHP office that evening on Kearney Street? It was because the extremely hostile reception that I had received at the SPD by this officer. All I was doing was reporting what I had seen and knowing vehicles as I did, I knew it was an identical van. In the early morning it appeared to be newly painted. That would have been about 7:40 AM that morning. The REASON I went to the MHP was because I knew I could not fight city hall so to speak. I also wanted for word to get back to the SPD that I had reported it. However, when asked if I wanted the MHP to take it up with the SPD, I declined but I strongly suspected that it was reported which was my intended purpose. And also, as I did, the officer at the MHP, stated to me that he could not understand why this incident had even happened. Subsequently I made a rather complete written e-mail report years later to the SPD to which I was advised it would be looked at. I have not to this date received any kind of reply. Had I not already had made arrangements to attend an auto race in Nashville, TN that weekend I would have taken up this matter with Internal Affairs. I actually called the morning of my departure to make a verbal report but they had not yet arrived at the office. So it did not proceed further due to time constraints.

I have digressed to explain how and why I went to the MHP headquarters. I felt I had no alternative considering my prior experience in making my report based on my own eyewitness experience. To this date I have no idea why it was greeted in this fashion. And I invite the SPD to rebut this incident.

Did or did not the MHP work this case actively in consort with the SPD? Perhaps a representative of that state department would consent to make that clear. Based on my single discussion with this officer, I would have to say they were not working on the case at the behest of the SPD.

I had my conversation with the MHP officer at the headquarters and filed a report on or about November, 1992 shortly after I had my "situation" with the detective at the SPD when I reported the van I saw. Now whether or not the MHP bowed out at their own discretion or whether they were asked to eliminate their participation I cannot say. What I can say is what I was told and that was plainly that their services were not needed. As I said, it could have been misinterpreted, misstated, or my memory could be faulty although I don't believe that to be the case.

Why did I go to the MHP office that evening on Kearney Street? It was because the extremely hostile reception that I had received at the SPD by this officer. All I was doing was reporting what I had seen and knowing vehicles as I did, I knew it was an identical van. In the early morning it appeared to be newly painted. That would have been about 7:40 AM that morning. The REASON I went to the MHP was because I knew I could not fight city hall so to speak. I also wanted for word to get back to the SPD that I had reported it. However, when asked if I wanted the MHP to take it up with the SPD, I declined but I strongly suspected that it was reported which was my intended purpose. And also, as I did, the officer at the MHP, stated to me that he could not understand why this incident had even happened. Subsequently I made a rather complete written e-mail report years later to the SPD to which I was advised it would be looked at. I have not to this date received any kind of reply. Had I not already had made arrangements to attend an auto race in Nashville, TN that weekend I would have taken up this matter with Internal Affairs. I actually called the morning of my departure to make a verbal report but they had not yet arrived at the office. So it did not proceed further due to time constraints.

I have digressed to explain how and why I went to the MHP headquarters. I felt I had no alternative considering my prior experience in making my report based on my own eyewitness experience. To this date I have no idea why it was greeted in this fashion. And I invite the SPD to rebut this incident.

Did or did not the MHP work this case actively in consort with the SPD? Perhaps a representative of that state department would consent to make that clear. Based on my single discussion with this officer, I would have to say they were not working on the case at the behest of the SPD.[/quote]

Well that is fine, but like most things in this case, I cannot take someones word as fact. If someone from the MHP were to come forward and it explain the timeline, then I would believe that. Short of that all we have is what is in print, and from what I have seen, they were involved to some degree all along. There was a general winding down of the intensity to this thing, maybe that is when you spoke to them. Eventually as a case goes cold all the resources arent needed.

Just reading up on the information you all have on this case. It's been an interesting one to me. I grew up in Macks Creek (where the Darby murder took place. That still chills me to the bone, having known everyone involved and supposedly involved. It set our small town in a tail spin).

I've always wondered what happened to these poor women from Springfield and if anyone will ever know. Thanks for all of the posts with thought out and helpful information. I've always wondered in the back of my head if the monsters that hurt Trudy were responsible somehow for this, but I don't know if that makes sense.

Just reading up on the information you all have on this case. It's been an interesting one to me. I grew up in Macks Creek (where the Darby murder took place. That still chills me to the bone, having known everyone involved and supposedly involved. It set our small town in a tail spin).

I've always wondered what happened to these poor women from Springfield and if anyone will ever know. Thanks for all of the posts with thought out and helpful information. I've always wondered in the back of my head if the monsters that hurt Trudy were responsible somehow for this, but I don't know if that makes sense.

Hi and welcome to WS! I am a MO native as well. I grew up in Springfield and was 12 when the 3 women vanished. After reading the letters Jesse Rush wrote it makes me physically sick to think about these disgusting, vile men laying a hand on any women. Just everything about these suspects is disgusting from their usage of words to their appearence. I hope these two did not get their hands on our missing women. I don't think they did. I think they are too stupid, too disorganized and too stoned and/or drunk to pull off the abduction of 3 women from a home and leave nary a clue behind. They were sloppy opportunistic vultures and I think they would have either left the bodies behind, they would have dumped them in a place where they would be found and/or they would have left evidence behind at the scene and I think the house would have been in more of a state of disorder if these two bozo's had been there.

Thank you for the welcome.

I also hope that they didn't touch your three missing and always hold out some hope that they will still be found.

I went to school with Jess (when he was there on and off) and I cannot tell you how sickened I was when all of this came out. Trudy was our secretary for years and her daughter was a friend. To know that this could happen to her and then to realize that someone you know could be responsible for something so vile and sickening just makes you lose faith in humanity. We did not by any stretch hang out in the same crowds, but it is a very small place, so everyone knows everyone.

Unfortunately there are way too many sick people in this world, and these are two of them.

Hi and welcome to WS! I am a MO native as well. I grew up in Springfield and was 12 when the 3 women vanished. After reading the letters Jesse Rush wrote it makes me physically sick to think about these disgusting, vile men laying a hand on any women. Just everything about these suspects is disgusting from their usage of words to their appearence. I hope these two did not get their hands on our missing women. I don't think they did. I think they are too stupid, too disorganized and too stoned and/or drunk to pull off the abduction of 3 women from a home and leave nary a clue behind. They were sloppy opportunistic vultures and I think they would have either left the bodies behind, they would have dumped them in a place where they would be found and/or they would have left evidence behind at the scene and I think the house would have been in more of a state of disorder if these two bozo's had been there.

I completely agree with your reasoning.

Thank you for the welcome.

I also hope that they didn't touch your three missing and always hold out some hope that they will still be found.

I went to school with Jess (when he was there on and off) and I cannot tell you how sickened I was when all of this came out. Trudy was our secretary for years and her daughter was a friend. To know that this could happen to her and then to realize that someone you know could be responsible for something so vile and sickening just makes you lose faith in humanity. We did not by any stretch hang out in the same crowds, but it is a very small place, so everyone knows everyone.

Unfortunately there are way too many sick people in this world, and these are two of them.

This is off topic, but you said Trudy was your secretary for years, was this at school? Just curious if Jess would have known who she was or she knew who he was?

Yes, it was at our school. And yes, he would have known her and vice-versa. Everyone knew her. Our school was very small, 350 kids K-12. And, since he was a student on and off, she would have known him. I'm having trouble remembering, but I'm thinking she quit being the secretary the year before that, or was down to part time or something, hence the job at the gas station. I tend to block out that time period, because it's just upsetting. I need to dig up my yearbooks and see what the timeframe was when she was at the school. I know he was there on and off.

ETA: Sorry for bringing the thread off topic.

I do hope that eventually the three missing will be found and this case will be closed. It's very tragic to not know what happened.

Yes, it was at our school. And yes, he would have known her and vice-versa. Everyone knew her. Our school was very small, 350 kids K-12. And, since he was a student on and off, she would have known him. I'm having trouble remembering, but I'm thinking she quit being the secretary the year before that, or was down to part time or something, hence the job at the gas station. I tend to block out that time period, because it's just upsetting. I need to dig up my yearbooks and see what the timeframe was when she was at the school. I know he was there on and off.

ETA: Sorry for bringing the thread off topic.

I do hope that eventually the three missing will be found and this case will be closed. It's very tragic to not know what happened.

No need to apologize, happens all the time! That's awful that they knew one another. I don't get how evil people can be......truly sickening. I'm glad her killers were brought to justice! Hopefully, one day we can say the same for the 3MW.

I agree that the Mack Creek and possibly related crimes were significantly different from the Springfield case but I don't think the perps can be dismissed entirly at disorganized, drugged up "hillbillies". Yes, they did bring a 15 year old kid with a big mouth along, but they did a "better" job on the next two capers and almost got away it. I wouldn't underestimate them.

I can't say by any stretch that all the people responsible are behind bars. However, at least two are.

I do agree with Kemo that they cannot be ruled out of the 3MW case. However, if they were involved, they most definitely didn't do it alone.

I can't say by any stretch that all the people responsible are behind bars. However, at least two are.

I do agree with Kemo that they cannot be ruled out of the 3MW case. However, if they were involved, they most definitely didn't do it alone.

What sent up red flags with me is the fact that the Trudy Darby murder, and the disappearance of Angela Hammond from Clinton, Mo. and the lady who disappeared from the Neveda convenient store, as well as the 3MW all happened at about the same relative time. Also Jess Rush confessed in the letters he wrote that, "He was glad Law Enforcement hadn't found out about the (Other Things) they had done, or they'd would be sitting on death row"......something to that effect. I firmly believe that they were involved in other murders. Weather those other murders included the 3MW we may never know.
I would be curious to know where the "Barn" that Jess Rush spoke of in his letters was located. He stated that the Trudy Darby rape and murder was carried out in the barn, and that they later burned it to the ground to try to conceal evidence that was supposidly in the barn. I wonder if Law Enforcement ever really went over the site with a forensic team after it burned down, or after Jess Rush's letters came to light?
I'd still like to know the physical location of the former barn. I'll bet that evidence still exists. It could very well have been the site other crimes were carried out, before they decided to burn it to the ground.

if anyone with any information on the Trudy Darby case would post for me it would be greatly appreciated. This is a subject i am doing my paper on for my Forensics class and I need all the leads or websites pretaining to this case.

the barn where Trudy Darby was taken of course was burned but the location is West Branch Rd in Macks Creek MO. I have often wondered myself if there is possibly any evidence remaining there afetr all these years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8