The Verdict is In - post your thoughts here

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's going to take me a long, long time for any of this to fade. And maybe it shouldn't fade. I think the impact of this tragedy on the community is going to be there for everyone, at least on some level.

You don't have to know the victim or the family to care and want the best. You don't have to know those two precious girls to want the best for them and to hope they grow into amazing young women who will forever carry their mother's indelible spirit. I believe they will because they have an incredible family surrounding them. I also believe Nancy will continue to watch over and envelope all of them with her love.

It's the one thing Brad Cooper could never destroy--love. The love and bond between a mother and her daughters, the love and bond between sisters, and her brother, the love and bond of their parents, and the love of Nancy's earth angels--her friends who helped Nancy find justice. Brad took Nancy's life, but he can never destroy her spirit, her energy, her love, or the love of all her family and friends for her.

God bless all of them.

I believe also that Nancy has incredible spiritual energy, love and presence for all who knew her, loved, her, or stood for her.....and thus she lives on in the hearts of those who care, and care deeply.

Good Morning All:

I keep checking in here because I am reluctant to let go. A long time lurker before signing up to post I also believed BC killed NC within days of her being found. I never varied from that position BUT sure enjoyed learning from posters who knew so much about the computer/tech aspects of this trial.

As I said I am reluctant to let go of the forum. So many explained painful life circumstances that have give them compassion, understanding, an artful way of explaining their positions and thoughts. Oh and yes such terrific senses of humor. I am so grateful to all of you, those I agreed with and those I disagreed with.

It was a pleasure.

Still would like to know the content of the last e-mail BC sent to NC on 7.12.2008.

I know it's going to take me a long, long time for any of this to fade. And maybe it shouldn't fade. I think the impact of this tragedy on the community is going to be there for everyone, at least on some level.

You don't have to know the victim or the family to care and want the best. You don't have to know those two precious girls to want the best for them and to hope they grow into amazing young women who will forever carry their mother's indelible spirit. I believe they will because they have an incredible family surrounding them. I also believe Nancy will continue to watch over and envelope all of them with her love.

It's the one thing Brad Cooper could never destroy--love. The love and bond between a mother and her daughters, the love and bond between sisters, and her brother, the love and bond of their parents, and the love of Nancy's earth angels--her friends who helped Nancy find justice. Brad took Nancy's life, but he can never destroy her spirit, her energy, her love, or the love of all her family and friends for her.

God bless all of them.

And I had decided not to cry today....oh, well... How perfect and poignant, Mad74. You are so right. I think NC's spirit is very, very strong, and I think that many, many people can feel it, hear it, and be encouraged and nourished by it. Thanks for putting your feelings out there so beautifully for all of us.
icon14.gif

Hi Annie!:smooch:

Me too! Even when I see a commercial for the show, I think of her.

Hi Jilly-Bug!

Yep - take a deep breath 'cos it's going to start all over again, soon!

Well, I tell you something - there's almost an eerie, quiet sense of anti-climax in here, now. If this is what an anonymous forum feels like - imagine the stunned silence in Brad's family. One moment they're seeing him daily in court for 2 months - and the next moment *whooosh* he's also gone. Emptiness abounds. Not a cliff hanger - a sheer drop from a cliff's edge.

I'm wondering if the defense are catching up in here... I do feel the def monitored this forum and possibly posted - who would ever know. That's the thing about anonymity ... it's supposed to be that way; not for us to question, true. But wonder - indeed b/c if I was a def or pros in a huge case I'd be out there looking for *everything*....

Shhooo - I feel as though I have moved a mountain; my shoulders feel strained from extra hours at this laptop, lol and I've not nearly beaten these threads as often as many regulars here have!

Amazing .... justice has finally come full circle for Nancy. The dirty laundry will be folded away and Brad will probably not realize the severity of his punishment for a few days, yet. He is where he belongs!

If any locals to Cary/Raleigh notice that a juror speaks out or there is coverage of this, please come here and post a link. Those of us not in the Raleigh wral area may not see it or realize it and I would most definitely like to see or hear what any member of the jury has to say.

David Crabtree will interview one of Brad's attorneys at 6:00 PM tonight on WRAL. They should have a link to the live stream of the news at

http://www.wral.com/

The continued references on the news and in this thread to the value of the Google Maps search as damaging evindence is making me a little crazy (or crazier). You guys are probably right that it was damaging to BC. It was troubling and suspicious. But it's true value as evidence has been greatly overstated to both the public and apparently to the jury.

Do me a favor. Do a Google Maps search of your own address. Then walk out in your front yard and compare the image on your computer screen with the real life image around you. What will be glaringly obvious to you is that the computer image, in the vast majority of cases, is decidely different from the reality around you, just as the current forested Google Maps image of what exists on Fielding Drive, is deciedly different than the new houses, playground, etc... that are actually there. This would have been obvious to BC as well. No one in their right mind would use Google Maps to pick, preview, or view a spot to dump a body.

I have no doubt that this piece of evidence damaged BC, largely because it was not adequately rebutted, but the Google Maps search, in truth, proved very little.

I agree and Ive been stating this for several days. Here are my other problems with the case and why I feel like there should have been more than enough for reasonable doubt.

1 - Stomach contents dont jive up with the timeline the prosecution laid out. They do, however line up with the jogging timeline. Maybe this got rebuffed somewhere and I missed it but I dont think so since defense talked about it in closing. Her blood alcohol SHOULD have been much higher and there should have been more food present.

2 - No one has been able to demonstrate that the call was spoofed. Everyone accuses him of it but no one has shown how it was done, whether it even could have been done (Which there is doubt of) or found a trace of the call being spoofed. Maybe he had that router, maybe he didnt. If he did, he obviously had to get rid of it after the last trip to HT and no one noticed him driving off with it?

1 and 2 alone give a reasonable timeline of her being alive that morning.

It also blows my mind that this guy planned basically the perfect crime and then made bonehead moves throughout according to people here and by the evidence. On one hand people talk about how smart this guy is and on the other they talk about how no one can cover those bases but if he did it, great lengths were gone to to cover the technical aspect of spoofing a call while something as simple as a Google search went unnoticed. It doesnt make sense.

He was smart enough to not leave ANY forensic evidence but then forgets to erase Google results? You really feel like he would be smart enough to cover his butt like he apparently did and stupid enough to search the dump sithe the day before and not erase all his temporary internet files?

People supposedly saw her that morning. I take that with a grain of salt but given #1 and #2, its completely possible.

I dont know whether the computer was tampered with or not. I do know that someone (Obviously the CPD) has been untruthful about how that computer was handled. Maybe they're doing a CYA, I dont know but if its stored with the battery out of it, those updates arent going to magically appear.

I have other possibilities of how things could have occurred that weren't even presented at trial.

There are a lot of holes in this case. There was more than enough for reasonable doubt. Prosecution witnesses lied, Cary PD lied (If nothing else, about laptop securing) and even the DA intentionally misled jurors.

I dont know.. 1 and 2 are hard for me to get by but Im trying to look at things objectively and not let emotion come into play.

Guess we'll see how it shakes out on appeal, if there is one.

I agree and Ive been stating this for several days. Here are my other problems with the case and why I feel like there should have been more than enough for reasonable doubt.

1 - Stomach contents dont jive up with the timeline the prosecution laid out. They do, however line up with the jogging timeline. Maybe this got rebuffed somewhere and I missed it but I dont think so since defense talked about it in closing. Her blood alcohol SHOULD have been much higher and there should have been more food present.

2 - No one has been able to demonstrate that the call was spoofed. Everyone accuses him of it but no one has shown how it was done, whether it even could have been done (Which there is doubt of) or found a trace of the call being spoofed. Maybe he had that router, maybe he didnt. If he did, he obviously had to get rid of it after the last trip to HT and no one noticed him driving off with it?

It also blows my mind that this guy planned basically the perfect crime and then made bonehead moves throughout according to people here and by the evidence. On one hand people talk about how smart this guy is and on the other they talk about how no one can cover those bases but if he did it, great lengths were gone to to cover the technical aspect of spoofing a call while something as simple as a Google search went unnoticed. It doesnt make sense.

He was smart enough to not leave ANY forensic evidence but then forgets to erase Google results? You really feel like he would be smart enough to cover his butt like he apparently did and stupid enough to search the dump sithe the day before and not erase all his temporary internet files?

People supposedly saw her that morning. I take that with a grain of salt but given #1 and #2, its completely possible.

I dont know whether the computer was tampered with or not. I do know that someone (Obviously the CPD) has been untruthful about how that computer was handled. Maybe they're doing a CYA, I dont know but if its stored with the battery out of it, those updates arent going to magically appear.

I have other possibilities of how things could have occurred that weren't even presented at trial.

There are a lot of holes in this case. There was more than enough for reasonable doubt. Prosecution witnesses lied, Cary PD lied (If nothing else, about laptop securing) and even the DA intentionally misled jurors.

I dont know.. 1 and 2 are hard for me to get by but Im trying to look at things objectively and not let emotion come into play.

For number 1, if she puked when she got home, the stomach contents would be consistent with a time of death at night or the morning.

For number 2, the missing logs of the spoofed call are consistent with no router or a missing router. The logs would be on that router and only on that router. The 3725 is only 4"x17"x15". Easy to drop in the garbage with all his comings and goings on Saturday.

For the Google records: the search was partially erased; the cookies weren't there. I think he must of done lots of research to plan this perfect murder. There must have been lots of searches to learn to do what he did. I think he relied on his browser's "Clear history..." function, and something went wrong on that one search. Part of the time stamp was invalid on those files, that points to a bug in whatever program wrote those files.

I'm not sure where the police lied about the laptop storage. As I understand it they followed their policies: secure the residence as-is and wait for the computer experts to collect the computers. It took 27 hours for them to come in this case, time for automated programs to run (backup, defragmentation, email updates, pushed software updates). The computer was physically secured during this time, but online. After the CPD computer experts got there, the computer was handled properly AFAIK. In the beginning of the case, the CPD had no reason to know how big a part that computer would play in this case.

While it's easy to find a doubt in each individual piece of circumstantial evidence, the jury was instructed to look at all the pieces of circumstantial evidence together. They could not reasonably explain it all away.

Yyyyyup, madflava. Of course. Evvvvrybody lied ... everyone. Oh, except Brad Cooper, eh? Even in those 6 - 7 hours depo tapes? *Everyone ELSE* is a liar, not BC. Why on Earth would CPD, witnesses and prosecution lie or mislead? Nonsensical. I do sense a strand of denial, but that's just my humble opinion.

OVER and above these Q's you raise .... there exists a very clear, direct and obvious line of circumstantial evidence that made BC THE ONLY person to have had motive, means and opportunity to do what he did. And he was rightfully found guilty of 1st degree by a jury of his peers. He will now rot in a cell and I (in my opinion) don't believe any appeal will help the killer. Killer.

However, I further refer the the bold, above.

Actually, I think your bright star Brad truly intended to wipe out that Google info. But. BIG problem. JA foiled his time-line. She alerted police probably 24-36 hours earlier than he even anticipated .... and Bradley Graham Cooper hadn't done with his "cleaning up" ... Caught like a deer in the headlights. Stunned, cornered. He had to gamble on that search being found. His def team had NO OTHER COMMENT other than to say it was planted or tampered with. Why would LE & witnesses frame HIM? Who on Earth is Brad Cooper in the bigger picture? WHAT reason would they have to frame him. Just scoffs in the face of logic and sanity.

When Nancy was found right there - right where he Googled the site ... well he must have jumped right out of his feeble skin. He doesn't say a word. He just stares solemnly ahead. Not flinching, zero emotion ... nothing.

He's guilty. And he is where he belongs....

Twelve good people sat on that jury everyday, saw and heard the evidence. They looked at Brad Cooper's face in person everyday. You may not agree with them, you may not like the system, but the trial is over and Brad Cooper was found guilty, of that I'm thankful. Brad Cooper will not be free to kill another women. It would have happened again. Brad thinks he's "exceptional" just like Scott Peterson. Look at the overwhelming CE. Listen to the people who knew him. Think about it. Look at the rage in his face when he looked at the Rentz as he left the courtroom. Next time it could have been someone you know and love. Where would the outrage be then?

Time for me to take a deep breath and walk away from the computer.

1) We don't know exactly what she ate and when she last ate. We don't know exactly what she drank and when she last had a drink. She was a runner and had Crohn's disease. These things might make it difficult to judge stomach contents and alcohol level...especially after sitting in the hot sun for 2 -3 days.

2) The only sure way to erase all traces of an event on a computer...is to wipe the drive clean by overwriting it completely numerous times. Can't do that when it's your work computer though, right?

3) The FBI agent told the jury 10 ways that such a call could be spoofed and we know he had the router to do it in Jan 2008 and it was never returned to Cisco. Yes, the prosecution would have been better served to have someone actually do it...would have been very powerful....but they made some mistakes as we all know.

4) Rosemary Zednik and Food Lion guy contradicted each other on the time they saw her. Rosemary should have seen her first, at 7:10am, which she was adamant about. Food Lion guy should have seen her 10-11 mins later at 7:20am (1.5 miles away). He said he saw her between 6:55am and 7:10am. Someone is clearly mistaken and they both could have easily been.

WRAL TV
Brad Cooper’s attorney, Howard Kurtz, spoke publicly for the first time since the jury sent his client to prison. What he says about why his client was convicted, on TV tonight at 5:00

:loser:

"Brad Cooper's attorney claims his client was framed"

UPDATE: They just said 6pm they will talk to the foreman!

Well otto, "phone tampering" was obviously viewed by the jury as an honest mistake.
I saw no obvious bias in favor of the state by the judge. Having said that, it did appear he did not care too much for Kurtz personally, but I saw no rulings that were unfair.

This judge was obviously very emotional and you could plainly see that at the end. Not only was he choked up, he forgot that 1st degree murder carried an automatic life w/o parole and had to be reminded by Mr Cummings. I think he just got lost in the moment.

I have no read on the jury, but I would be interested to know how they were able to ignore the fact that some phone evidence was missing and that it was only missing because one of the detectives wiped it before requesting a warrant. It's water under the bridge today, but it doesn't sit well with me. Some of the post trial reports (criminal lawyer opinions) have emphasized the absence of evidence and their surprise that the jury believed there was no reasonable doubt.

I too thought the judge was too emotionally involved and that he appeared to have an opinion at the beginning of the trial, which is unfortunate. I think the Judge is supposed to remain impartial.

I got the impression that the FBI's copy of the MFT was given to the defense eventually, even though the judge ruled that it did not have to be.

There was a copy of the MFT on the defense's buffet table.
GM's copy and JW's copy were never admitted, so it must have been the FBI's copy.

GM's pie charts and opinions on the hard drive data made it in to closing arguments. I think the case for "police framing BC" was made about as well as it it could have been.

Had GM taken the stand, he would have been made the fool on cross.
He said in his offer of proof that he only looked at the parts of the hard drive that the defense told him to. He said he ignored the rest. All the prosecution would have to have done is shown him some of the rest, and ask him his new opinions.

My understanding was that on the day his testimony his entered for appelate purposes, he had only had time to review a portion of the data, but if he was to testify, it would have been a few days later - presumably when he had been able to more thoroughly examine the data.

Now isn't this a coinky-dink?? The annual Butterfly Fund gala is being held @ Embassy Suites in Cary tomorrow night. I am staying there this weekend due to a graduation function for my daughter :)!!!

Now isn't this a coinky-dink?? The annual Butterfly Fund gala is being held @ Embassy Suites in Cary tomorrow night. I am staying there this weekend due to a graduation function for my daughter :)!!!

Wow that's interesting. I just read about that. It sounds fun, but depressing at the same time! That must help them heal doing this work and having a little bit of fun for the cause.

I hear you RaleighNC....that GOLO board was scary.
Hard to believe those people actually reside in the Raleigh/Cary area.

I lasted all of about 2 seconds reading that GOLO nonsense. Waste of time, in my book.:hand:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member