Tim Russert Dies From Apparent Heart Attack

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm in tears. I loved Tim Russert. He was an amazing journalist and a great man.

This is so awful. His wife and son Luke are still in Italy. Tim came home for Father's Day and for Meet the Press. While he had gained weight recently, no one was aware of any heart problems.

I wonder if that long flight home could have had anything to do with it?
Remember how something like that happened to David Bloom --- he developed a pulmonary embolism?

Many years ago, I worked with a young guy, the picture of health. Never knew him to call in a day sick ... suddenly at 28 years old, he died of a heart attack. It happens.

Remember how something like that happened to David Bloom --- he developed a pulmonary embolism?

Many years ago, I worked with a young guy, the picture of health. Never knew him to call in a day sick ... suddenly at 28 years old, he died of a heart attack. It happens.
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Some think a person just up has a MI that was in perfect health, not true.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]The factors may have not been diagnosed, but in most cases they have such as a history of Diabetes, Hypertension, High Cholesterol, or a combination of all.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Gone is the old adage "they were perfectly healthy and just up and had a heart attack".[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]I've always enjoyed TR, even bought his book 4 years ago for my mom. [/FONT]

I remember when CNN correspondant John Hollimon died in 1998.. We had watched he and Bernie Shaw cover the USA 1st invasion in Iraq. I felt like a friend had died.. Hollimon never expected to be caught in the midst of intense bombing, neither did Shaw. Like Russert, Hollimon died instantly, but in a car accident.

I think Russert may have had a pulmonary embolism or perhaps a coronary thrombosis as a result of his trans-Atlantic flight. The fact that he could not be rescuscitated fits an embolus more than it does an MI or other more usual coronary event. CNN most likely has an AED on site, as well as people trained in CPR until the EMTs arrived..

If it's any comfort, if a thrombus or embolus turns out to be the cause of his death, it was most likely instantaneous, without prolonged agony or suffering.
God bless his son and wife.
Maria

Liz, I didn't see your post when I made mine. My first thought when they mentioned the trip to Italy and his recent flight home was " pulmonary embolism or coronary embolism/ thrombosis from the venous stasis. Most people do not realize what a risk it is to sit with legs immobile for hours, and with the pressurized cabin and dry air.
I just wanted to say that I think your post was very intelligent and fits what we know at this point.
Whatever the cause, he is gone and will be missed by many, and mourned by his family always.
:blowkiss:
Maria

I feel for his wife too. Maureen Orth is a talented writer and journalist as well. She writes for Vanity Fair. The whole family, Tim, Maureen and son Luke were visiting Italy in honor of Luke's graduation from Boston College. At least he was able to attend his son's graduation from college. Prayers for strength and comfort for his dear wife Maureen and his son Luke.

I feel for his wife too. Maureen Orth is a talented writer and journalist as well. She writes for Vanity Fair. The whole family, Tim, Maureen and son Luke were visiting Italy in honor of Luke's graduation from Boston College. At least he was able to attend his son's graduation from college. Prayers for strength and comfort for his dear wife Maureen and his son Luke.

He was so proud of his son Luke and was such a family man. I spoke to Liz Moynihan earlier today and she is devastated. Tim was like family to her.

I never pay much attention to politics but I always loved watching Tim Russert on NBC and also sometimes watched him on Meet the Press. But it was because of HIM that I watched it...certainly not the politicians. I always liked him but it was after I read his wonderful book about his father, Big Russ and Me, that I saw him in a new light. Although he was the best at what he did in the political arena, and he will largely be remembered for that, I do hope he will also be remembered for the terrific father and son that he was, and that that will be a huge part of his legacy as well.

I was stunned to see this. So sad. That's all I can say. I'm so sad. I can't imagine this Sunday morning...and Father's Day.

Did I hear correctly that his wife and Luke were still in Italy? Oh, what a long horrible flight to return under such circumstances.

RIP Tim...you will absolutely be missed. What a professional in his job, and seemed like such a kind and wonderful son, husband and father.

we, the tv viewers have lost a favorite.
his family & friends have lost much more.

his love, enjoyment & admiration of family was quite apparent. he rose to the top in a cut-throat business & probably never made an enemy. have you ever seen a reference to him being anything less than a real family guy, professional newsman, true friend & quality individual?

This was such a shock. RIP "Little Russ." You were one of the greats, and a great Catholic, as well. Requiesat in pace. And may God be with his family, as well.

He seemed to be a real gentleman, and truly an unbiased journalist who was respected by both sides of the political spectrum. He will be sorely missed by so many. His will be some very big shoes to fill.

OMG..what a sin. I really liked him.. He spent time in Philly so of course I had to like him for that alone since I grew up outside philly but I just really liked the way he approached broadcasting and politics in particular. I am stunned by his passing.. His poor parents, wife and son.. I guess the book he wrote about his Dad is now such a blessing for his family as now they have it and all of his broadcasts as a living tribute to his life and talent. I and many others will truly miss him.. so sad.. he was just too young to go so soon.

I will always remember him as he was on one of the broadcasts early on in the race for the white house. he was talking about alll the different outcomes depending on whether Hillary or obama won which set of states... he was so excited, eye twinkling, almost vibrating with the energy.. you could just see that this was the most exicitng thing for him.. he lived and breathed it.. IHe reminded me then of a child anticipating what might be under the tree on christmas morning..

I remember when CNN correspondant John Hollimon died in 1998.. We had watched he and Bernie Shaw cover the USA 1st invasion in Iraq. I felt like a friend had died.. Hollimon never expected to be caught in the midst of intense bombing, neither did Shaw. Like Russert, Hollimon died instantly, but in a car accident.

I think Russert may have had a pulmonary embolism or perhaps a coronary thrombosis as a result of his trans-Atlantic flight. The fact that he could not be rescuscitated fits an embolus more than it does an MI or other more usual coronary event. CNN most likely has an AED on site, as well as people trained in CPR until the EMTs arrived..

If it's any comfort, if a thrombus or embolus turns out to be the cause of his death, it was most likely instantaneous, without prolonged agony or suffering.
God bless his son and wife.
Maria

hi jana....on the news they were saying that he was complaining of having trouble breathing, after he collapsed...

he wrote such a wonderful book about his dad...and now his dad has outlived him. I wonder if putting his dad in a care home, which must have been stressful and heartbreaking for him ,might have been a factor in his heart attack. Tim has just come back from Italy with his family, celebrating his son's graduation.

He lived a good and full life, and many millions of people will miss him...I liked him most because he was such a Buffalo Bills fan. I have to say I am really shocked by this news.

they were just discussing this on msnbc a minute or two ago....

What a great loss for everyone. He was such a wonderful man. I enjoyed watching him, he was so kind and had such a soothing, calming demeanor. I especially enjoyed watching him during election coverage and watching him talk about his dad, Big Russ. What wonderful stories.

RIP, Tim.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foothillbilly
Back