Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yeah there are a number of theories floating around about what happened but right now no one yet knows what actually happened, including Mr. Martin. James Cameron has a different theory as do Navy experts.

It’s difficult waiting for reports- we haven’t received a preliminary report yet and in the meantime even the uninvolved experts don’t agree.

It’s sad that so many things could have gone wrong to destroy the Titan that there are multiple theories, all based on the woefully inadequate construction of the submersible. Electrical, the non hard wired controller, the fatigued hull, the non certified view port; its more like what didn’t go wrong IMO.
BBM, Or almost like an inspector's checklist of things to fix / look into in order to get a pass...

According to this submarine expert
there was an electrical failure…

The important part is the phrasing here that you didn't quote:

"Submarine expert and merchant marine José Luis Martín spoke to media organization Nius to explain what he believes could have happened during the Titan’s dive."

In other words, he was providing a hypothetical scenario, to say nothing of what nuance might have been lost in translation.

According to this submarine expert
there was an electrical failure…

“The starting point is that the submarine is descending without any incident and in a horizontal plane until it reaches… about 1,700 meters (5,500 feet). At that point there is an electrical failure. It is left without an engine and without propulsion. That’s when it lost communication with the Polar Price,” Martín told Nius.
“The Titan changes position and falls like an arrow vertically, because the 400 kilos (880 pounds) of passengers that were at the porthole unbalance the submarine. Everyone rushes and crowds on top of each other. Imagine the horror, the fear and the agony. It had to be like a horror movie,” continues the expert, who believes that everything happened between 48 and 71 seconds of free fall.

During that time, according to Martin, the passengers were aware of the gravity of the situation.

“In that period of time they are realizing everything. And what’s more, in complete darkness. It’s difficult to get an idea of what they experienced in those moments. After those 48 seconds, or one minute, the implosion and instantaneous sudden death occur,” says the expert.

I am predicting a major motion picture to be made about this tragedy. Or at least a made for tv movie.

The important part is the phrasing here that you didn't quote:

"Submarine expert and merchant marine José Luis Martín spoke to media organization Nius to explain what he believes could have happened during the Titan’s dive."

In other words, he was providing a hypothetical scenario, to say nothing of what nuance might have been lost in translation.

Many experts are stating what they “believe could have happened.”

I am hoping the official investigation reveals the truth.

I would watch a documentary or docu-series about the incident, but it feels way too soon for that.

I don't know how they would make it into a movie movie; even for Titanic (1997) James Cameron had to weave in a love story/hero's journey to hang the plot on.

Many experts are stating what they “believe could have happened.”

I am hoping the official investigation reveals the truth.

I feel the investigation will be as comprehensive as possible and I hope that leads to industry regulations that will help future passengers avoid situations like this.

I just realized they're going to make a movie out of this aren't they. Someone's probably already writing the screenplay. James Cameron?

God forbid.

James Cameron’s film is expensive kitsch. Culturally, the Jurassic Park has left more impact on movies than this one. It has good actors, though. JMO. (Speaking about sea voyages, I recently saw an old Stanley Kramer’s film “Ship of fools” and found it way more thought-provoking.)

To think that someone could capitalize on one more tragedy is horrifying.

I was always asking myself, why did Rush choose Everett as the base for its sub? Bremerton would be a more reasonable choice. It is not closed, and one could hire someone adept with working underwater. Logically, hiring students from aerospace college to work on a submersible has the same value as going to a podiatrist for a thyroid problem.

Finally, I came to the conclusion that Rush was still obsessed with flying, and all his activity was flying-driven. But, there is a reason why there is physics of air and physics of the sea. Different areas.
A question, is there a known term for subs? Why couldn’t he use terms first navigator and second navigator, why pilot? Maybe this is typical; if not, then he must still be dreaming of flying.

I was always asking myself, why did Rush choose Everett as the base for its sub? Bremerton would be a more reasonable choice. It is not closed, and one could hire someone adept with working underwater. Logically, hiring students from aerospace college to work on a submersible has the same value as going to a podiatrist for a thyroid problem.

Finally, I came to the conclusion that Rush was still obsessed with flying, and all his activity was flying-driven. But, there is a reason why there is physics of air and physics of the sea. Different areas.
A question, is there a known term for subs? Why couldn’t he use terms first navigator and second navigator, why pilot? Maybe this is typical; if not, then he must still be dreaming of flying.
Not knowing anything about the area, can you elaborate?

I would watch a documentary or docu-series about the incident, but it feels way too soon for that.

I don't know how they would make it into a movie movie; even for Titanic (1997) James Cameron had to weave in a love story/hero's journey to hang the plot on.

Rush's wife had ancestors on the Titanic - it's the perfect story ... victims had family on the boat waiting for their return ... all the suspense is already there

Yup. Still obsessed with flying

For Sean, the first red flag that alarmed him about Rush was his arrival in Las Vegas, where Sean, Jay and Rush were set to meet. He says they asked why Rush was landing at a North Las Vegas airport rather than the commercial airports like McCarran.

“He’s like, 'Yeah, I built this plane with my hands, and I'm test-flying it right now.' And we’re like, ‘What?' That was my first red flag,” he explains.

Spanish submarine expert José Luis Martín suggested the submersible lost stability due to an electrical failure that left it without propulsion, causing it to fall towards the seabed 'like an arrow vertically' with its porthole facing down.

He estimated that the sub began freefalling at a depth of around 5,600 feet and fell 'as if it were a stone and without any control' for about 3,000 feet until at around 8,600 feet it 'popped like a balloon' due to the rapidly changing pressure.

1689088327351.png
The company that possesses the exclusive salvage rights to the Titanic shipwreck and the ship’s artifacts filed in federal court on Saturday a map of the surrounding seabed that shows where searchers found the twisted remains of the Titan submersible.

The map, a mosaic of sonar images that were annotated by experts at the company, RMS Titanic Inc., helps indicate how close the craft was to its intended destination when disaster struck.

“This is, we believe, reliable data,” Mr. Wainger said.

In his July 8 court filing, Mr. Wainger also noted that the Marine Board of Investigation, the arm of the Coast Guard investigating the disaster, will conclude its detective work in roughly 12 to 18 months and then hold a public hearing where witnesses will provide sworn testimony.

Ms. Sanders said the map was developed partly by her employee who died in the Titan disaster — Paul-Henri Nargeolet, 77, a French submersible expert and a global authority on the Titanic, who was trying to make his 38th dive to the wreckage. “So part of it was his,” she said, referring to the map. She added that a memorial service for Mr. Nargeolet would be held next week in Paris.

Before OceanGate's doomed Titan submersible ever made its first manned dive down to the shipwreck site of the famed Titanic in the depths of the North Atlantic Ocean, a US Navy reservist was independently hired by a TV production company as a consultant to evaluate the deep-sea vessel.

The reservist, a current active-duty member of the Navy, warned in a four-page report in May 2021 that the risks outlined by OceanGate in the company's liability waiver "should be considered as sincere warnings of worst-case outcomes and not just legal jargon required for insurance purposes."

However, the consultant, Dan Miles, concluded in his report, obtained by Insider, that he "would have no reservation" taking the sub down to the Titanic, 12,500 feet below the ocean's surface.

It is possible that Everett was chosen for easier access to Boeing and UW for what had originally been anticipated to be partnerships. Bremerton is a little out of the way out on the peninsula. JMO.

It is possible that Everett was chosen for easier access to Boeing and UW for what had originally been anticipated to be partnerships. Bremerton is a little out of the way out on the peninsula. JMO.
Yes, Bremerton is a pain in the butt to get to from Seattle/UW while Everett is a straight shot up I-5. Plus the naval presence would restrict where, when and what the company could do with their submersibles in the water. When a Navy sub crosses the Hood Canal Bridge everything shuts down for about an hour. They don’t fool around when it comes to security.

View attachment 434023
The company that possesses the exclusive salvage rights to the Titanic shipwreck and the ship’s artifacts filed in federal court on Saturday a map of the surrounding seabed that shows where searchers found the twisted remains of the Titan submersible.

The map, a mosaic of sonar images that were annotated by experts at the company, RMS Titanic Inc., helps indicate how close the craft was to its intended destination when disaster struck.

“This is, we believe, reliable data,” Mr. Wainger said.

In his July 8 court filing, Mr. Wainger also noted that the Marine Board of Investigation, the arm of the Coast Guard investigating the disaster, will conclude its detective work in roughly 12 to 18 months and then hold a public hearing where witnesses will provide sworn testimony.

Ms. Sanders said the map was developed partly by her employee who died in the Titan disaster — Paul-Henri Nargeolet, 77, a French submersible expert and a global authority on the Titanic, who was trying to make his 38th dive to the wreckage. “So part of it was his,” she said, referring to the map. She added that a memorial service for Mr. Nargeolet would be held next week in Paris.

Before OceanGate's doomed Titan submersible ever made its first manned dive down to the shipwreck site of the famed Titanic in the depths of the North Atlantic Ocean, a US Navy reservist was independently hired by a TV production company as a consultant to evaluate the deep-sea vessel.

The reservist, a current active-duty member of the Navy, warned in a four-page report in May 2021 that the risks outlined by OceanGate in the company's liability waiver "should be considered as sincere warnings of worst-case outcomes and not just legal jargon required for insurance purposes."

However, the consultant, Dan Miles, concluded in his report, obtained by Insider, that he "would have no reservation" taking the sub down to the Titanic, 12,500 feet below the ocean's surface.
I've yet to find in this article what exactly were this guy's credentials other than being in the Navy. He could be a low-level member for all I know...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine
Back