Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
CNN has a headline now about the banging.
Skeptical. I buy this but this repeort though. I pray for a miracle, but don’t believe in them

Of course they don’t have food or water onboard.

They were asked to not eat much before the trip as well.

Please don’t ask me where I read that…it can be IIRC.

I guess they can be rehydrated once they’ve been rescued.

Just as well the medical peeps will be on site.
You are correct: there’s one toilet on board but the hope is that they won’t have to use it.

They’re too far down for GPS to work and they were relying on the mother ship to navigate via text messages. The sub also had safety pings that should have been sounded every 15 minutes but all communication, including the pings, stopped 1 hour and 45 minutes into the voyage.

They’re using sonar and sonar buoys to try to find them, plus surface SAR.
Wait! I now have more questions.

If they relied on text messages with the mother ship in order to navigate, why on earth wouldn’t the company alert the authorities quickly when they could not longer reach them?

Also, text messages work two miles under water? Whoa.

This is the unconfirmed information I heard!!

The large aircraft was flying very low for hours in one area, but no one knew why. But I don’t know if that is continuing the find. (It sounds like it is.)
Could they be floating on the surface of the ocean and that's what the white rectangular object is that was spotted by the Canadian plane? Hopefully it is and they're still alive.

Is there a sound that they can hear and find them I hope so but really I think this should have never happened I think if anything this should have been been a adventure this should b something that is work related scientists and people like that just like going 2 the moon that should not happen just saying
Yeah. I totally understand.

Wait! I now have more questions.

If they relied on text messages with the mother ship in order to navigate, why on earth wouldn’t the company alert the authorities quickly when they could not longer reach them?

Also, text messages work two miles under water? Whoa.

No idea why they delayed, but reportedly they waited 8 hours to alert the US Coast Guard. (Sorry that it’s a DM link)—OceanGate took EIGHT HOURS to report missing submersible

NEW. Crews searching for the #Titan submersible heard banging sounds every 30 minutes Tuesday and four hours later, after additional sonar devices were deployed, banging was still heard, according to an internal government memo update on the search. (1/4)

It was unclear when the banging was heard Tuesday or for how long, based on the memo. A subsequent update sent Tuesday night suggested more sounds were heard, though it was not described as “banging.” (2/4)

“Additional acoustic feedback was heard and will assist in vectoring surface assets and also indicating continued hope of survivors,” according to that update. (3/4)

A Canadian P3 aircraft also located a white rectangular object in the water, according to that update, but another ship set to investigate was diverted to help research the acoustic feedback instead, according to that update. (4/4) (via @CNN - first reported on @RollingStone)

Assuming they are snagged on either the wreck or a fishing trawler net, how long would it take to cut the submersible free and bring it to the surface once it is located? Hours? Days?
The Navy sent a Salvage Operation system that was to arrive Tuesday night. It has the capacity to lift and recover large, bulky and heavy undersea objects.

The Salvage Operations Division deployed CURV 21, a deep-water remotely operated vehicle with a deep-lift take-up reel that allows it to pull wrecks from up to 20,000 feet.

( 2 1/2 miles = 13,200 feet )
MOO

Last edited:
The Navy sent a Salvage Operation system that was to arrive Tuesday night. It has the capacity to lift and recover large, bulky and heavy undersea objects.

The Salvage Operations Division deployed CURV 21, a deep-water remotely operated vehicle with a deep-lift take-up reel that allows it to pull wrecks from up to 20,000 feet.

( 2 1/2 miles = 13,200 feet )
MOO
Do we know if the CURV 21 has arrived on scene yet?

As soon as I read about the controller being from an old game system, I thought uh oh!!

Really quite bizarre that anyone would consider going to the bottom of the ocean in an unauthorized vehicle IMO.

I hope they are found alive but it doesn’t sound good at all.

Insurance plans wont pay up on these fellas.
I read this my child who is on the Autism Spectrum about the controller being from old game system, their comment "What! Weird idea! Maybe the batteries are flat.".
It is Bizarre people wish to view the wreak of the Titanic, sometimes I have a hard time looking at the pictures.
I think this is just fate, or as Margaret Brown, just luck, or lack of it that problem hit the Titanic Tour Submarine, they needed money for research, tour just like people go Murder tours etc. Weird but people will give money for an adventure,on things which people think say what? Or you paid what for that?
We had a member of our family who was on the Titanic ,they did not make it out alive . Spent many years on ships on ships, employed over 20 years on the ship, New York, switches to the Titanic just for one trip as their reasons were,
(1) coal strikes on they did not know how long the ship, New York be stuck in Port,
(2)Family Members had been ill, medical bills were paid needed more money, with being employed by White Star join Titanic as they needed experienced Stewards 1st Class, so they lied about their age, made themselves years younger (but had the experience) to get the trip to America then rejoin the ship ,New York at America, which was following a few days behind the Titanic filled the family budget.
(3) The thrill, experience and pleasure on travelling maiden trip on the Titanic. They shared a cabin with one other person, there was another cabin as well connected to the 1st class saloon, as they had to rotate shifts.
To my Family member, the cabin would been classy and Luxury to them.
To my family Member(like the Titanic Tour Submarine) Everything had gone well for years for both of them.
What could go wrong?

I would think they’d be hot in there. The pressure, the small space, the bodies.
I don't pretend to understand the principles of heat convection through a carbon-fiber hull, but even if it was warm inside when they started, the craft--assuming it hasn't been crushed--is surrounded by miles of water that is barely above freezing.

It might get colder slowly, but sooner or later the warmth of five bodies and whatever heating system they have inside is going to run out. I presume.

I believe it's pretty much pitch black at that depth? They need lights, and maybe it's difficult to see overall, rather they have to focus on particular areas.
Do we know if rescuers have actually reached the wreck?
Not sure we even know if this sub is stuck in the wreck.
According to a link somebody posted pages ago, everything is pitch black a mile or anywhere farther down. The only illumination they would have (unless they have floated to the surface) is from whatever instruments they brought with them.

Looking for the post on the thread where it was mentioned that the sub is locked from the outside and that no exit route is available from inside should it have made it to the surface - anyone know Why this would be?
I watched a Piers Morgan interview with a journalist who had a frightening experience in a submersible. At the seafloor its rotor got caught in debris and he said that he was glad he was a trained scientist and knew that others may panic and open the hatch to escape.

Go to 9:29

Last edited:
Why would they fall asleep from getting very cold? Is this central to this scenario?

It’s just above freezing where the Titanic is resting. The experts have said hypothermia is a risk. They would become sleepy as the body shuts down.

“But as core body temperature cools, these organs produce less heat, in essence causing a protective "shut down" to preserve heat and protect the brain. Low body temperature can slow brain activity, breathing, and heart rate.”
270D0EE3-8961-41AF-80D5-B522C41186F8.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members