TN TN - Dandridge, WhtMale 41-50, UP1547, living photo, 20+ diff IDs, Canadian tag, Jun'03

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just came across this case on Namus, can't see it on here:

Minimum age 41 years
Maximum age 50 years
Race White
Ethnicity
Sex Male
Weight (pounds) 209, Measured
Height (inches) 65, Estimated

Found on June 14th 2003, hours after death, at 2471 Sky View Way in Dandridge, TN.

There's even a living photo of this man, with an AAA stamp I think: https://identifyus.org/en/medias/full/29137

Circumstances make me think that this was someone that lived and died under an assumed name. There are dental records and fingerprints (run through AFIS in 2015 with no hits), and DNA sample not yet tested.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/1547

Does he look familiar to anyone? I wonder what name he went by.
The links don’t work. I live near here.

Just came across this case on Namus, can't see it on here:

Minimum age 41 years
Maximum age 50 years
Race White
Ethnicity
Sex Male
Weight (pounds) 209, Measured
Height (inches) 65, Estimated

Found on June 14th 2003, hours after death, at 2471 Sky View Way in Dandridge, TN.

There's even a living photo of this man, with an AAA stamp I think: https://identifyus.org/en/medias/full/29137

Circumstances make me think that this was someone that lived and died under an assumed name. There are dental records and fingerprints (run through AFIS in 2015 with no hits), and DNA sample not yet tested.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/1547

Does he look familiar to anyone? I wonder what name he went by.

This AAA stamp, and the bottom of it even more so, remind me of my Internation Drivers License I got at AAA in March 2023.

This AAA stamp, and the bottom of it even more so, remind me of my Internation Drivers License I got at AAA in March 2023.
Where do the letters, especially the first A stand for? American? If you look at this f.i. the first letter is a C 1702288810383.png

For anyone who reads this thread and is very confused as to how it got from point a to point z, I have no clue. But I can provide the known facts and the information that may be helpful in your future research.

First what it actually says in his NamUs case file.
Decedent was renting and living in the basement using an alias at the time of death. He had over 20 different identifications in his possession at the time. All identifications were verified and found to be alive. He also had in his possession a Canadian tag registered to a company in Canada, no leads were generated.

The reason he is listed as unidentified currently is based on the fact than none of the fake ID’s in his possession were his true identity, nor were they able to use any of them to track back to his legal identity.

He was renting the basement of the residence under a false name and was located deceased within a short period of time because the person living upstairs found him.

Any clothing or reference to AAA in the photo have already been checked and PD was not able to identify him. He has had 3 official rule outs on NamUs, and all 20 of the false ID name were determined to be living persons.

Whether or not he was ever reported as a Missing person is up for debate, depending on his reasons for hiding his identity.

Thanks, @Shoopersleuth !

How close are you to the situation?

Please consider becoming a Verified Insider for this thread -- we'd love to know more!

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

Thanks!

jmho ymmv lrr
Hi! I’m not close in terms of being there or having connections. My team and I have been working on this for a couple of months and have manage to get the curls straightened. We aren’t much closer to identifying him, but we are tracking a possible lead.

I don’t have much more than I already shared and I will definitely continue to follow and update when I find something. I don’t know if I would be a good insider, but I will always make sure my info is correct.

Hi! I’m not close in terms of being there or having connections. My team and I have been working on this for a couple of months and have manage to get the curls straightened. We aren’t much closer to identifying him, but we are tracking a possible lead.

I don’t have much more than I already shared and I will definitely continue to follow and update when I find something. I don’t know if I would be a good insider, but I will always make sure my info is correct.

Please be aware that posts without supporting links are often edited or deleted by Moderators, to protect Websleuths from legal issues.

now a Verified Insider can post away, no links....

What a fascinating case. I have so many questions! I believe most don't have answers, or the answers haven't been made public.
  • What was the cause of death?
    • It doesn't look like this was ever disclosed. I'm leaning towards a natural death or suicide, only because I haven't been able to find much coverage on this case. I would expect more coverage if LE was searching for a suspect/suspects in a homicide.
  • How long had he been renting the basement?
    • The house appears to have been built in 2002 (unsure of a more specific date/timeframe), so it was still a very new build when he was a resident. Knowing when he took residence would help indicate when he left his previous location.
  • Why a basement rental and not something more private?
    • I suspect this man kept an intentionally low profile, hence his choice of a small town in TN. So why choose a basement rental without much privacy? Perhaps finances.
    • The Zillow listing with photos of the home shows there is no door or solid separation between the upstairs and downstairs, and there does not appear to be any kitchen area downstairs, suggesting the kitchen may have been shared and also why he may have been discovered so quickly (upstairs tenant or landlord simply walked downstairs and discovered him). Of course, recent photos are not necessarily reflective of the home's original construction and it's possible the two areas were originally separated - it's clear there have been renovations.
    • It does not appear the lower level can be accessed from the outside, suggesting the basement tenant would have to come and go through the upstairs level.
  • Besides the IDs and Canadian tag, what other belongings did he have?
    • Anything that could indicate his activities, previous locations, relationships, a job?
  • What kind of "identifications" were found?
    • Were they driver's licenses, social security cards, workplace badges?
    • Were there 20+ unique driver's licenses or possibly a combination (a license + SS card for one individual, for example)?
    • Did the individuals the IDs belonged to, who were verified alive, know they had IDs they maybe thought they had lost or been stolen - and any recollection of when that happened, which might indicate the man's previous locations?
  • What was the intended purpose of 20+ stolen IDs?
    • Identity theft? Fraud? Hiding from someone? What else?
    • Identity theft and fraud were on the rise with the growth and rapid expansion and accessibility of services on the Internet. A brief history:
      • 1990 - World Wide Web is born
      • 1994 - Yahoo
      • 1995 - eBay & Amazon
      • 1998 - Google
      • 2001 - Wikipedia
      • 2002 - LinkedIn
      • 2003 - myspace & Skype

No prints in AFIS when they ran them in 2015. Hmm. A very interesting mystery!

• Why a basement rental and not something more private?
    • I suspect this man kept an intentionally low profile, hence his choice of a small town in TN. So why choose a basement rental without much privacy? Perhaps finances.
    • The Zillow listing with photos of the home shows there is no door or solid separation between the upstairs and downstairs, and there does not appear to be any kitchen area downstairs, suggesting the kitchen may have been shared and also why he may have been discovered so quickly (upstairs tenant or landlord simply walked downstairs and discovered him). Of course, recent photos are not necessarily reflective of the home's original construction and it's possible the two areas were originally separated - it's clear there have been renovations.
    • It does not appear the lower level can be accessed from the outside, suggesting the basement tenant would have to come and go through the upstairs level.
It may have required less ID/background checks to rent a private individual or small-scale landlord's basement unit versus a large complex or through a larger company. It may have also been less of a paper trail if he's just paying cash under the table to a private individual versus sending a check to a corporate entity.

It may have required less ID/background checks to rent a private individual or small-scale landlord's basement unit versus a large complex or through a larger company. It may have also been less of a paper trail if he's just paying cash under the table to a private individual versus sending a check to a corporate entity.
What an excellent point - that would make a lot of sense!

I played around with a few different softwares in an attempt to enhance the living photo. I think this one came out the best. Of course, these types of enhancements come heavily caveated due to generative AI assuming and filling in details and not magically revealing actual detail from a low-res photo.

Attachments

• UID_enhanced2.png
    UID_enhanced2.png
    526.3 KB · Views: 15
I wonder if there was any more info in the local news articles regarding things like the Canadian tag. I can't seem to find any... But he looks a lot like this missing Canadian cab driver(although the heights are off), who went missing with his cab, which had both a Canadian tag on the back, and a Washington tag on the front.
View attachment 405568
Has this been confirmed to not be him?

I took a look at my current AAA international drivers license and it also has the AAA stamp like that on it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back