Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher, 34, Abducted while jogging 4:30 am, forced into SUV, Central Ave near Univ of M, personal items found, Memphis 2 Sept 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously not @MassGuy......but LE doesn't need to release photos. They're following other leads they've developed and seem to know quite a lot.
They've been pretty tight-lipped the whole time so I believe they must have some pretty strong evidence and/or good information already.
I see it as a good thing that LE is making real progress pretty quickly.
Releasing a blurry photo results in way to many calls, they probably made an assessment that a solid identification would not be possible based on the images they have and they would likely be chasing bogus leads. MOO

Matter of weighing the pros and cons of releasing a blurry image

I honestly think police had a good bit of unfolding information early in the case and they have been working it at full capacity, as quickly as they can. It was a full-on press on various fronts. Because they felt they were advancing in the right direction, they didn't want to expend any energy preparing to make pressers or statements. Every moment has been used to push forward so they could find these perpetrators and find Liza. Their method is phenomenal because, for those who have followed similar crimes for any length of time, we know we rarely get such progress within the first 36-40 hours.

So when we had radio silence from law enforcement today, I found that to be incredibly unusual. The early hours and days of an investigation like this tend to be pretty chaotic, and there's a lot of activity.

That includes press releases and press conferences. The more help they need, the more they put out.

When that wasn't happening, I took that as a clear sign that they were closing in.

I think they identified a suspect at some point, and today they moved on him. When they said that they believed they had found the vehicle and the driver, that tells you they are pretty sure. Typically they wouldn't release that unless they were very confident (because what if it's not the vehicle)?

Couple that with the collision that seems to have occurred, then that solidifies things for me. This guy was trying to get away (consciousness of guilt).

So I believe that they believe they have their man, and he simply hasn't been charged yet. It's the weekend, and they can hold him for a few days.

Come Tuesday, I expect he'll be charged with something.

In any event, I think we'll have some clarity on this well before then.

Thank you. I appreciate the clarification.

Am i crazy for thinking that the dumping of the clothing may actually be a good sign? Changing clothing to hide/disguise a person rather than simply keeping the clothing on a body…

I’m still just not 100% convinced of stranger abduction quite yet… some tiny as-yet-un-pinpointable thing is nagging at me.

I’m hoping she is still alive, so maybe it’s just my wishful thinking.

Edited for typo.

Does anyone remember this type of heavily armed multiple agencies involved quickly(on the scene) in a similar abduction case? They are prepared for a major offense. Why? And why was the National Guard called in? This isn't some small town that would need assistance. Would they do that for a missing Federal Witness maybe? I will be very surprised if there is no criminal conspiracy in this case.

Th

Am i crazy for thinking that the dumping of the clothing may actually be a good sign? Changing clothing to hide/disguise a person rather than simply keeping the clothing on a body…

I’m still just not 100% convinced of stranger abduction quite yet… some tiny as-yet-un-pinpointable thing is nagging at me.

Unfortunately I don't, just based on seeing tons of cases like this. If there is evidence there, it's not going to be good.

I had some issues myself early on, but those have quickly vanished based on what we are seeing now.

This looks like just about every other stranger abduction case I've followed, and not one of them has ended well.

Edited for typo.
I thought about it possibly being a good sign. Then again, how often have people been caught and then admit to dumping different pieces of evidence in dumpsters, etc?

Does anyone remember this type of heavily armed multiple agencies involved quickly(on the scene) in a similar abduction case? They are prepared for a major offense. Why? And why was the National Guard called in? This isn't some small town that would need assistance. Would they do that for a missing Federal Witness maybe? I will be very surprised if there is no criminal conspiracy in this case.
I think the national guard has probably been confused with ATF.

I'm not sure I've seen ATF involved in a case like this, but they do have a bureau in Memphis, and they're obviously equipped to conduct a raid.

I'm reading nothing into it, except that law enforcement is using every resource at their disposal.

Things tend to happen at a very rapid pace when a high profile heiress is involved. Money talks, sadly.

I think the national guard has probably been confused with ATF.

I'm not sure I've seen ATF involved in a case like this, but they do have a bureau in Memphis, and they're obviously equipped to conduct a raid.

I'm reading nothing into it, except that law enforcement is using every resource at their disposal.
I was just wondering/speculating a bit. Surely Memphis has SWAT for raids? I'm not sure, but I thought I remembered the ATF in black and National guard in camo/khaki color in the photos. I'm gonna go back and look. Just thought this heavy multiple agency presence looks like more than an abduction response.

Releasing a blurry photo results in way to many calls, they probably made an assessment that a solid identification would not be possible based on the images they have and they would likely be chasing bogus leads. MOO

Matter of weighing the pros and cons of releasing a blurry image
You may be correct that police made that assessment. But they would be wrong. There are plenty of amateurs that are WAY better at image processing than most police departments. I was involved in a situation (not a criminal investigation) where I saw some pretty incredible enhancements done on images to reveal detail. Some of this relies on probability so would likely not be routinely used by police because it would be inadmissible in court. But if releasing it to the public let one clever person figure something out it could bee invaluable and could lead to a tip.

Where I live the police routinely release blurry photos. It is relatively common that someone recognizes an article of clothing, a hat, or something else that leads to a tip about a friend or relative. Even without technical enhancement, human brains are actually pretty good at image processing.

I'm not saying the police should always release whatever they have. But I don't think that an image being dark or blurry is a good reason to withhold it. If, as MassGuy suggests, they already had a good idea about the vehicle and did not want to tip off the kidnapper that might be a good reason.

I am impressed by the Memphis police except for their lack of communication with the public. There is always a balance between integrity of the investigation and reassuring the public. This happened right next to a university. I really think they should be giving regular press briefings.

I am not impressed by the Memphis media. They simply are not on the ball with this story. There is plenty of factual information to report but we are seeing very little of it in MSM in Memphis.
I feel the same, fast food journalism ... we need a Nate Eaton, Lauren Scharf, or Bayan Wang!!!

Though I won't criticize LE, this case has progressed so rapidly. They are protecting Eliza IMO, by remaining silent.

You may be correct that police made that assessment. But they would be wrong. There are plenty of amateurs that are WAY better at image processing than most police departments. I was involved in a situation (not a criminal investigation) where I saw some pretty incredible enhancements done on images to reveal detail. Some of this relies on probability so would likely not be routinely used by police because it would be inadmissible in court. But if releasing it to the public let one clever person figure something out it could bee invaluable and could lead to a tip.

Where I live the police routinely release blurry photos. It is relatively common that someone recognizes an article of clothing, a hat, or something else that leads to a tip about a friend or relative. Even without technical enhancement, human brains are actually pretty good at image processing.

I'm not saying the police should always release whatever they have. But I don't think that an image being dark or blurry is a good reason to withhold it. If, as MassGuy suggests, they already had a good idea about the vehicle and did not want to tip off the kidnapper that might be a good reason.
Fair points, good call. How would they differentiate a call from someone who enhanced and identified from someone who sees the original unenhanced and identified someone?

Your point is a good one, just trying to think through how they narrow the focus. I appreciate your input regarding an article of clothing sometimes being what is identified and in turn helps identify the individual.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members