Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher, 34, Abducted while jogging 4:30 am, forced into SUV, Central Ave near Univ of M, personal items found, Memphis 2 Sept 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also wondered about the time between abduction and reporting. I don’t think it has been reported how long she planned it on running this morning but it could have been a long one and she wasn’t expected home until like 6 am. My guess is that her husband made some phone calls & drove around for a bit looking for her. He probably thought she was injured or possibly talking with a running buddy. Whatever the case may be, my heart is so heavy for her and her family. I don’t know her personally but we have a couple of mutual FB friends and she reminds me of myself 20 yrs ago. I can’t imagine what either are going through. Praying for a quick recovery and unifications with her loved ones.
Agree. Plus she obviously went super early - depending on husband’s work schedule he could have easily been asleep for a good while after the abduction. Appears random, but if her route was regular and known (or observed) to a few people, it could be targeted.

Because the article states that her phone and water bottle were found in front of a home, I assume they were near the property line and not on the road. I think they were dropped, or thrown out of the vehicle. Thrown from the vehicle explains why the phone is damaged.

The suspect would get rid of the phone right away to get rid of tracking devices.

What about a fitbit? Did she have one?
Todays fitbits are more along the lines of an Apple Watch or even your phone. Good question though.

This story is such a nightmare. My BIL is a prof at University of Memphis and it’s not the greatest area, but he says there are tons of cameras. Hopefully they can get enough info to find her.

My young daughter and I are avid runners and this is my worst fear for my daughter. And myself.

I am praying for your safe return, Ms. Liza.
Get a gun, get trained, and strap it to your leg while out running.

I live in this area and am sick over this. It’s upsetting to read the comments on Facebook blaming her for running at 4:30 am. Yes I realize the Memphis area is known for violent crimes and while I personally would not be out by myself here at night, it repulses me when people make comments like this that essentially blame the victim. The problem is not women running at 4 AM it is the fact that there are perpetrators out there that think it is okay to abduct them. And that’s where the blame should be. Not on what she was wearing or when she chose to be outdoors.
Wow, people are unreal. Personally I am very much an early bird and feel much safer at these hours than at night.

Because the article states that her phone and water bottle were found in front of a home, I assume they were near the property line and not on the road. I think they were dropped, or thrown out of the vehicle. Thrown from the vehicle explains why the phone is damaged.

The suspect would get rid of the phone right away to get rid of tracking devices.

What about a fitbit? Did she have one?
When I read about that it led me to believe that it was done on purpose. Which then led me to believe that this could’ve been staged and planned beforehand, possibly by her and someone else. But I hope I’m wrong except for the fact that she may actually be alive if this was the case.

Just m00ing

My thoughts on the water bottle/phone:
1) Possibly just dropped in the scuffle that occurred when she was abducted
2) I can understand an abductor not wanting the phone to be in the car tracking them but not sure why they'd care about her water bottle. But it's possible they just threw both things out the window as they drove away.
3) I guess it's also possible they tossed her phone and Liza herself threw the water bottle. I'm imagining it as a reusable water bottle (I could be wrong - nothing has stated it was reusable but a lot of runners have them). Maybe she thought it would be more noticeable than a small cell phone and could sort of "leave her mark" for family and LE that would eventually look for her on her running route to say "something happened here."
Isn’t it advised to do exactly this? Kick off your shoe, drop something, etc…

So I could not locate on her school's website a daily schedule, but their Facebook page has hours listed as 8-5. It's possible those are hours someone is available answering phones in the office and not the time classes run, but if she had to be at work around 8 or a little before, running starting around about 4 AM would give her a time for a pretty lengthy run, I'd think, even accounting for shower and breakfast, getting ready, etc. Is it possible she normally didn't return home until between 630 and 7, so that's why they got concerned and reported her missing at 7? Or it could be her husband knew she was doing a long run today and would be gone for a couple hours, even if other mornings, her runs were shorter.

I also agree with the previous poster who said her husband and kids likely sleep in well past the time she gets up to go running. Depending what time her kids have to go to school (are they old enough to be in school?) and her husband to work, maybe their alarms didn't even ring until 7 AM and then he was alarmed to not find her at home.

Disable tracking quickly.
Depending on the phone, the last ping would still be available to track.
So, toss it quickly without breaking it, it pings to the spot she was abducted.
Smash it, it pings to the same spot on most (but not all) phones.
My phone (iPhone) and Hub’s (android) both seem to work like this. Jmo

When I read about that it led me to believe that it was done on purpose. Which then led me to believe that this could’ve been staged and planned beforehand, possibly by her and someone else. But I hope I’m wrong except for the fact that she may actually be alive if this was the case.

Just m00ing

Given how things have shaken out with Sherry Papini, I'd say pre-planning this or staging it would be a terrible idea. I think the likelihood that anyone would stage a kidnapping of this kind is quite slim and would need to be quite elaborate to pull off.

So I could not locate on her school's website a daily schedule, but their Facebook page has hours listed as 8-5. It's possible those are hours someone is available answering phones in the office and not the time classes run, but if she had to be at work around 8 or a little before, running starting around about 4 AM would give her a time for a pretty lengthy run, I'd think, even accounting for shower and breakfast, getting ready, etc. Is it possible she normally didn't return home until between 630 and 7, so that's why they got concerned and reported her missing at 7? Or it could be her husband knew she was doing a long run today and would be gone for a couple hours, even if other mornings, her runs were shorter.

I also agree with the previous poster who said her husband and kids likely sleep in well past the time she gets up to go running. Depending what time her kids have to go to school (are they old enough to be in school?) and her husband to work, maybe their alarms didn't even ring until 7 AM and then he was alarmed to not find her at home.
It's most likely that she jogged for roughly an hour, so she was expected home closer to 5 AM. By 7 AM, her husband was worried.

"University of Memphis police said in a safety alert that Fletcher was kidnapped. Fletcher regularly “runs on Central Avenue,” they wrote, and she was “reported missing after not returning home” at 7 a.m."

Given how things have shaken out with Sherry Papini, I'd say pre-planning this or staging it would be a terrible idea. I think the likelihood that anyone would stage a kidnapping of this kind is quite slim and would need to be quite elaborate to pull off.
I agree. Just because Liza was out running I’m thinking back to the runaway bride, Jennifer Wilbanks. But yeah, I don’t get the feeling that this was planned. I’m praying that she is safe & home soon.

My thoughts on the water bottle/phone:
1) Possibly just dropped in the scuffle that occurred when she was abducted
2) I can understand an abductor not wanting the phone to be in the car tracking them but not sure why they'd care about her water bottle.
RSBM

Could she have one of those fanny-pack style garments designed to hold a water bottle, that also has a pouch or pocket for a phone? One possible reason why they might be found together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Cool wannabe