Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher Abducted While Jogging - Memphis #4 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand the premeditated kidnapping but not murder … how can they say he premeditated murder unless they found something/evidence that suggested he planned to murder her before he grabbed her.
Since he served 20 years for the last kidnapping he committed that left a living victim, I think it's not a leap to assume he didn't intend on leaving a living victim to testify as he did in his previous abduction. I am sure there is evidence to support the premeditation. Besides, it only takes seconds to premeditate. There doesn't need to be a diagram or written plan per se. Seconds is enough time to conclude I now intend to make sure this victim is not alive to testify. I suspect he knew when he grabbed her he would be killing her rather than letting her live to tell so to speak.

As a 5’1 female jogger, I’m at a disadvantage physically as soon as my feet hit the pavement. And also, there’s the element of being caught off guard. Carrying pepper spray and/or other weapons is great when you have time to react. It’s unfortunate women jogging alone have become prey to these sick predators. No one is safe anymore.
I admittedly used to roll my eyes at my husband when he voiced concerns about me jogging alone in the dark. I’d feistily respond with, “No one wants to kidnap a woman in her late 30s.” I see now, age means nothing. It’s all about opportunity for these sick predators.
Absolutely, with these violent sick monsters it's not even physical appearance that drives it. Look at the crimes against elderly with rape too. It's an easy target. Women, elderly, children. We can not understand their minds because we don't think like them. It's scary to even try to imagine how/why. For most life is precious and the thought of harming another is unthinkable unless our own lives are threatened and even then it might be hard for many to know they killed someone. For others, they have no thoughts about it after the fact. Just cold and zero compassion or empathy.

Hopefully he will plead guilty and spare her family and the court from having a trial.
Probably not -- seems his depraved mind thrives on the attention and whatever he thinks will heighten his prison cred. At age 16 when he abducted an attorney and held him inside of his trunk for several hours, he refused to sign his plea deal for over a year.

Also in his impact statement, Durand wrote that it took over a year for Abston to sign the guilty plea, citing the refusal as "jailhouse braggadocio."

Some sources are stating she was found behind a vacant/unfinished duplex. I don’t see any true two-story buildings on Victory or the immediate vicinity.
There appears to be a structure with incomplete construction at 1646 Webb, a block over from Victory.

I keep looking at the parking lot adjacent to it. Might it have provided an inconspicuous spot to park close to the brush behind that structure and remove her body to? My thought is he didn’t plan how to dispose of a body. It’s dawn, daylight is breaking, people are starting to move about. Parking along a street and carrying her would be too risky at this time. Now he’s simply looking for a familiar and convenient spot to put her body. He still has to wash himself and the car before (presumably) returning it to GB.

Also, given the reported areas with heavy police presence since Friday morning (excluding the McDonalds and Lakes at Ridgeway apartments) it appears investigators were searching areas based on his cell phone and/or vehicle’s recorded locations. The AG seemed to allude to this during the press conference (but I’ll have to rewatch it to find the quote.)

Attachments

• 6C8EF126-F446-43C0-A1D4-62D9CBC9D76C.jpeg
    6C8EF126-F446-43C0-A1D4-62D9CBC9D76C.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 48
  • C13C09A4-3B40-45FB-81DB-B1BB99B49F67.jpeg
    C13C09A4-3B40-45FB-81DB-B1BB99B49F67.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 48
Telling people not to run alone is not a practical solution. Not all of us have people available at the same level of fitness to run with, and frankly, many more Americans die of lifestyle illnesses than of murder. She took all of the precautions that should have been necessary. Bad things happen even when you take all of the precautions you can.

She did take the necessary precautions but that is no longer a strong enough defense. As we continue to witness, it is no defense. Those precautions are a false sense of security now. When someone is bigger than you there is little chance of escape.

Last week the little girl who was almost kidnapped was just 10 ft from her front door putting something in the trash. She screamed, pulled away and lucky for her the perp was on the small side. He also looked like he was high which was a plus.

It’s an awful reality.

ADMIN NOTE:

This case is dedicated to discussion of Eliza Fletcher's case; it is not for generalized discussion of punishments or the death penalty.

Please stay on topic. Unless your post relates directly to this case, it is off topic and will be removed.

Ugh. Just hearing this awful news :(. So if she wasn’t SA (that we know of yet) what was the motive for her murder?

Some sources are stating she was found behind a vacant/unfinished duplex. I don’t see any true two-story buildings on Victory or the immediate vicinity.
There appears to be a structure with incomplete construction at 1646 Webb, a block over from Victory.

I keep looking at the parking lot adjacent to it. Might it have provided an inconspicuous spot to park close to the brush behind that structure and remove her body to? My thought is he didn’t plan how to dispose of a body. It’s dawn, daylight is breaking, people are starting to move about. Parking along a street and carrying her would be too risky at this time. Now he’s simply looking for a familiar and convenient spot to put her body. He still has to wash himself and the car before (presumably) returning it to GB.

Also, given the reported areas with heavy police presence since Friday morning (excluding the McDonalds and Lakes at Ridgeway apartments) it appears investigators were searching areas based on his cell phone and/or vehicle’s recorded locations. The AG seemed to allude to this during the press conference (but I’ll have to rewatch it to find the quote.)

I believe a duplex just means a 2 unit structure so could be a single story structure.

As a 5’1 female jogger, I’m at a disadvantage physically as soon as my feet hit the pavement. And also, there’s the element of being caught off guard. Carrying pepper spray and/or other weapons is great when you have time to react. It’s unfortunate women jogging alone have become prey to these sick predators. No one is safe anymore.
I admittedly used to roll my eyes at my husband when he voiced concerns about me jogging alone in the dark. I’d feistily respond with, “No one wants to kidnap a woman in her late 30s.” I see now, age means nothing. It’s all about opportunity for these sick predators.
Yes be very careful. I listen and read true crime daily and I’ve noticed that smaller women are often a target of predators. Im assuming they think they will be easier to control. I’m not small at 5’9 but my daughter is like you … so I worry about these things.

Watching this video of the court hearing this morning you could just feel the heavy sadness that pervaded the courtroom, in my opinion. I admire the judge's professionalism and how he held it together to do his job and ensure that justice is done in this case, like all others, in spite of the knowledge of the prominent family of Eliza in the community, including an uncle who is an attorney and likely known by this judge.

I think there was at least one family member or close friend in the courtroom this morning, at the beginning of the hearing you could see that two gentlemen were sitting beside each other with one of the gentlemen having his arm around the other, as the hearing began and for awhile thereafter.

Incredibly sad and hard to watch.

Last edited:
CA had two case numbers -- one as CA and another (misdemeanors) as CAH. The Court stated he would address the defendant as CA.
^^rsbbm

We know he worked for a cleaning service. In fact, it was his boss who described to police the vehicle Abston had been driving. The one that matched what police saw on the video of the abduction.

Cleotha Abston is also facing additional charges of identity theft, theft of property $1000 or less, and fraudulent use of a debit card $1000 or less in relation to an incident that happened the day before Fletcher’s abduction.

According to the affidavit, a woman reported her debit cards were stolen to make several purchases after she left her wallet at work.

Investigators said surveillance video showed Abston, who was later identified by his manager, taking her wallet while he was working for the cleaning service. He spent a total of $901.80.

Abston’s brother, Mario, remains in jail on drug charges. Back at his apartment, neighbors said they didn’t know much about Mario and never met Cleotha.

Cleotha Abston is set to go before a judge Tuesday morning.

The judge seems rigid with counsel. I understand the validity of the murder case not in his hands yet but he appears a bit overboard to me.

I think he is seriously shaken up by this case, which is understandable, as he probably knows the family that are prominent in this community. I think having everything in writing is important as well to ensure that they do everything by the book, they don't want to risk any chance of losing on an appeal down the road. I, too, noticed the judge was curt, to say the least, but I think it is due to the nature of the case and the family of the victim being so well known in the community. At the end of the hearing when the Judge thanked the prosecution for understanding, he softened up quite a bit, I think he was relieved the hearing was over. It had to take a lot out of him to remain professional and in control as he carried out the laws of the state and country.

I watched his hand when he raised it. Steady as a rock. I’ve seen others shake, but not CA. I suspected he had his face mask much higher to cover the wound I believe Eliza inflicted under his eye. I was surprised by the “premeditation” charge though I’ve thought it wasn’t random. Anyone know if he was informed of murder charges before he entered courtroom?

He's spent much of his time in courtrooms, so it is a familiar setting for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emmab