Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher Abducted While Jogging - Memphis #4 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think legally you can change the name of an adult family member that way. I wonder if he wanted to start using the name Henderson instead of Abston after he was released from prison, as his prison records appear to be under Abston, to further separate himself from that past. I guess it comes down to whatever Tennessee law says counts as a legal last name.
Brings to mind what name was he using with his employer and how was he being paid? I'm assuming he has a drivers license, since he wasn't charged with driving without a license. JMO

I trust LE is looking at their unsolveds over the past two years. If not for the slides and cctv, this would've been a hard case to solve. He may be brazen because he's done exactly this, apart from his original charges at 16.

Particularly anyone who went missing in the early morning. Predators prey.

JMO

There’s several missing young women that were last seen in the same area of Memphis within the last two years:

Based on height and weight listed, they all probably have a similar petit / athletic build as EF; especially the first two. Could be just a coincidence, but worth LEOs checking into.

9/4/22 -- UPDATED 9/5/22

Here's what we know about Fletcher's disappearance, Abston's arrest and the search for her:

• Fletcher was last seen at around 4:20 a.m., Friday, Sept. 2, jogging near the intersection of Central Avenue and Zach H. Curlin Street.
  • A GMC Terrain was seen 24 minutes before the abduction surveillance footage.
  • A surveillance camera captured a man violently and quickly approach Fletcher before forcing her into the passenger side of a GMC Terrain with passenger-side tail light damage.
  • "A male exited the black GMC Terrain, ran aggressively toward the victim, and then forced the victim Eliza Fletcher into the passenger's side of the vehicle," the affidavit read. "During this abduction, there appeared to be a struggle."
  • Investigators found a pair of slides at the scene. Police said DNA from the footwear matched Abston based on a sample taken after he was previously convicted of a crime. Other surveillance video showed Abston wearing similar slides days earlier.
  • Abston's cellphone placed him near the intersection around the time Fletcher disappeared.
  • U.S. Marshals found the GMC Terrain on Saturday at an apartment complex in southeast Memphis.
  • Police ended an interview with Abston still not knowing where Fletcher is.
  • Fletcher is believed to have been seriously injured during her abduction.
  • Abston spent just more than 22 years in state prison after being convicted of kidnapping an attorney. He was released from prison in November 2020.

Abston has prior abduction conviction​

In 2000, when Abston was 16 years old, he was charged, tried and convicted of abduction.

In June 2000, Abston kidnapped Memphis-based lawyer Kemper Durand at gunpoint. Court records say Durand was forced into the trunk of his car before being forced to drive a Mapco gas station to withdraw money from an ATM for Abston.

At the station, an armed Memphis Housing Authority guard walked in and, when Kemper yelled for help, Abston and Marquette Cobbins ran away.

[..]

"Kemper then further described how during those hours he spent in the trunk of his car, he heard the two men talking," the obituary read. "The man who was now about to be sentenced had pleaded with his friend to 'stop the car, let this man out, give him his keys and go!'"

[..]

"My feelings about being the victim of this crime, and the feelings of those around me, are that I was extremely lucky that I was able to escape from the custody of Cleotha Abston. I had been taken from the trunk of my car, where he and his co-defendant had placed me for a number of hours, and made to drive to the Mapco station," Durand wrote. "The purpose was that I was to use my ATM card to get cash for Cleotha Abston. It was very fortunate that an armed, uniformed Memphis Housing Authority guard happened to come into the Mapco station while Cleotha Abston, Marquette Cobbins (the second defendant), and I were using the ATM machine. It is quite likely that I would have been killed had I not escaped."

Also in his impact statement, Durand wrote that it took over a year for Abston to sign the guilty plea, citing the refusal as "jailhouse braggadocio."

Durand also detailed Abston's lengthy history in the juvenile court system prior to his conviction for the kidnapping, the earliest of which, Durand said, dated back to 1995 when he was no older than 12 years old. Abston also appeared in juvenile court records in 1996, 1997, 1998, and 1999 for charges including theft, aggravated assault, aggravated assault with a weapon, and rape, according to Durand's statement.

Durand died in early February 2013, seven years before Abston would be released in November 2020 at age 36. In the two years since his release, there are no further documented charges against Abston in Shelby County.
Good grief. CA/CAH had sociopath written all over him at a very early age. I wish they'd never let him out. All he did was ripen in jail.
I can't stop thinking and praying for E's children. To lose a loving mom is earth shattering.

Thanks so much to the moderators for all of your work on the threads about this case!
There were a lot of inferences/opinions posted that you patiently removed.

This sad case is a reminder that random crimes DO occur and that it’s not always someone close to the victim that’s responsible.

The judge seems rigid with counsel. I understand the validity of the murder case not in his hands yet but he appears a bit overboard to me.
This is going to be a death penalty case and will be reviewed ad nauseum all the way to the US Supreme Court. He is doing what is necessary to ensure the record is complete and solid with no errors that could get a conviction overturned.

That seems to say that she was left at the rear of the abandoned home at 1666 Victor Street at around 6:00 AM. That's fairly consistent with stats suggesting that most stranger abduction victims are deceased within the hour.

View attachment 364637
Thank you for this!

Can someone remind me how LE knew to go the brothers home and question them? CA's residence and his brothers is quite a distance from each other.

He may have also been counting on police to not be willing to take a missing persons report until it had been 24 or 48 hours. He probably assumed he had plenty of time to clean up before anyone would even be looking for her.
It's possible, but IMO he's not a planner who thinks things through.
His record and his continued crimes after prison suggest that he cannot control his impulses.

He could've been sitting in his car first for any number of reasons, and she tragically literally ran into his path.

Then he practically tossed her over his shoulder when disposing of her body. Outside, in the grass, right next to where he was just seen at his brother's place.

Even stealing a wallet at work when there are cameras and he can be identified easily.

Not one to plot out the logistics of his actions.

IMO

“Records indicate officers also smelled the odor of decay. They found the body of a woman, later identified as Fletcher, next to a set of steps near the driveway behind the home.”

“Law enforcement also found her purple Lululemon running shorts in a discarded trash bag about 100 feet north of the scene.”

Ugh… sickening. Sorry if this is a duplicate. I’ve been away all day and just skipped to the new posts.

Really saddened to see the change in thread title, always hope for a better outcome when reading these threads but it rarely happens :(
Thinking of all those who knew and loved Liza

@BradBrodersTV

New details in affidavit in #ElizaFletcher case: Person/Victor searched Monday after data from FBI, Fletcher found at 1666 Victor Street after investigators noticed vehicle tracks in high grass at vacant property. Fletcher's running clothes found at 1591 S. Orleans, in trash bag.

11:47 AM · Sep 6, 2022

A map showing where her clothing was found to where her body was found. It's all around the same apt complex where his brother lives. He really didn't take any care as to hiding either. Just seemed to dumped where convenient. moo

It's astounding to me they even found her running clothes. The most current images of that address on Orleans show trash bags, and random trash, literally strewn everywhere.

It was very hard to hear. Can I ask for some clarification from someone with better phone or comp audio.

CA was charged with felonies in abduction and tampering with evidence for a $500,000 bond

CA was also charged with a misdemeanor for identity theft and credit card fraud (did I hear that right identity theft and CCF are misdemeanors?) for a $10,000 bond.

The prosecutor then told the judge they HAVE filed aggravated murder charges, 3 separate ones to encompass Eliza's murder but judge doesn't have that paperwork yet?

And the woman lawyer that approached the bench then later went and talked to the accused, was she representing CA? I thought the judge was just asking CA if he needed a lawyer and then that one WOULD be appointed? So was that woman not a lawyer, just an advocate?

TIA for any help
I heard the same. Re BBM, it was an attorney from the public defenders office. The attorney signed the forms to take on the case.

Screenshots from Google Maps of 1666 Victor (From Person Ave):
Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 12.28.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 12.31.36 PM.png

According to the description, it seems she was found behind/next to the house's back steps. on google maps it's barely even 30-40 feet from the intersection. so brazen. RIP Eliza

If you look back on Google Maps, the house at 1666 Victor gets boarded up sometime between August 2013 and July 2014. Meaning, if the perp was familiar with the neighborhood, it's likely he knew it had been occupied for quite some time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awwadelmahadi