Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher Abducted While Jogging - Memphis #4 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously it's all dependant on the person/people in the situation as well as other factors, but how I'd imagine it to go down is that the attacker becomes more angry and violent the more you resist. It may also scare them thinking they're going to be caught after if they let them get away. Perhaps with a calmer and non-resistant approach, you'd be more likely to come out alive? Or maybe it makes no difference. Like I said, I think circumstance and people involved are everything.
I've been thinking a lot about this and how I, or anyone, could possibly increase chances of survival in the situation EF was in. EF had run this path many times without this happening- it probably felt safe to her. Unfortunately we get this horrific reminder that there are people like CA on the streets who were released from their prior abductions, and they are ticking time bombs, and then the rest of us maybe can't afford to have our radar go down, even when we're doing something that feels safe to us--but how is that a way to live?

On that note- I'll maybe look into some krav maga and I think you gotta do what you can to not get in the car. Which I'm sure is what EF did.

A friend of mine was childhood friends with Liza and she has just started posting all sorts of photos of Liza as a kid and a teenager. Most of the pictures are of Liza playing sports, just the image of health and youth and vitality. It is just so devastating to see someone who was living life so vibrantly meet such a brutal end.
I was about to post something similar. My friend teaches at the same school and goes to church with her. Many posts about her light. They are all just so broken. Sad beyond words.

I've been thinking a lot about this and how I, or anyone, could possibly increase chances of survival in the situation EF was in. EF had run this path many times without this happening- it probably felt safe to her. Unfortunately we get this horrific reminder that there are people like CA on the streets who were released from their prior abductions, and they are ticking time bombs, and then the rest of us maybe can't afford to have our radar go down, even when we're doing something that feels safe to us--but how is that a way to live?

On that note- I'll maybe look into some krav maga and I think you gotta do what you can to not get in the car. Which I'm sure is what EF did.

A product called TigerLady is modeled after a cat's claws and sits in your hand to attack an assailant. Another product called Go Guarded is worn on your finger and features a serrated blade that can be exposed if needed. Some runners carry a stun gun or pepper spray.

As a 5’1 female jogger, I’m at a disadvantage physically as soon as my feet hit the pavement. And also, there’s the element of being caught off guard. Carrying pepper spray and/or other weapons is great when you have time to react. It’s unfortunate women jogging alone have become prey to these sick predators. No one is safe anymore.
I admittedly used to roll my eyes at my husband when he voiced concerns about me jogging alone in the dark. I’d feistily respond with, “No one wants to kidnap a woman in her late 30s.” I see now, age means nothing. It’s all about opportunity for these sick predators.
The only advice that I would ever give is that IF you are attacked by a male subject like in this case ( sorry guys, I don’t mean to be sexist here), and IF you get the opportunity to do so, IF your hands or hand is free then grab him between his legs and grab his Crown Jewels and squeeze HARD and it will give you sufficient time to get the chance to get away. I don’t advocate this ordinarily however it has worked for me when single handedly fighting a 6ft inebriated squaddie, built like a brick house, when alone and on night duty in uniform LE ( I was regularly single crewed) and in a ‘black spot’ (pls don’t chastise me for the terminology as it’s what we called it back in the late 80’s/early 90’s when we had analogue and not digital radios . They frequently lost signal and when I called for back up I found out that I really was alone !!!!)

So I did the only thing that I could and it worked. Not only did he stop fighting all 5ft 5inches tall and 124lbs of me but he became compliant to the point of me being able to put the cuffs on him and secure him to the police car. Suffice to say that a couple of miles along the road, I was able to get through on my radio and was shortly joined by over a dozen burly male officers wanting blood ( in the days when we regularly paraded 18-20 officers per shift , now you are lucky if it’s 6!)

So, bare it in mind is all that I’m saying.

Plus if you are in the U.K., CS spray /pepper spray is classed as a Section 1 Firearm and illegal to carry so get yourself a travel sized , fit in the small of your hand, hairspray and use it in the same way. It may not be as effective but it will affect him .

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WREG)– WREG Investigators have learned that Cleotha Abston, the suspect in Eliza Fletcher’s kidnapping and murder, has been in trouble with the law since he was 11 years old.

Court documents state he had “a good relationship with his family” but his “childhood was rough.” The documents go on to state Abston’s lengthy record that shows his first arrest was in 1995 for theft.

He was just 11 years old.

He was arrested again and again, every few months from there for burglary, theft, aggravated assault, violation of curfew, truancy, rape, evading arrest, and more.

The violent crimes including rape and aggravated assault resulted in time in the detention center but it’s unclear how much time he spent there.

His file also states at the time, he had no suicidal gestures, medical problems, or mental illness. He was listed, though, as 100% violent.

There are several ways to look at it.
That CA's case might be that of mental illness, is very probable.
That some conditions were probably undiagnosed in 2000, much more so in 1995, and even much more so, in poor neighborhoods, is possible.

I would like to see the results of CA's IQ tests and neuropsychological evaluation, to make any whatsoever judgment about it. I don't think we have any information to discuss it as of today.

Because if he had any inborn communication disorder that so many might have, prison only worsened it.

What he did is horrible. OMG, abduct, probably use brutal force and leave without any himan dignity. What is wrong with him that he did it is an unanswered question as of today.

They dug down quite a ways. Perhaps to rule out he didn't bury a body there already? Or perhaps Eliza's body was partially buried? There's a video here.

Oh @CharlestonGal, that video was devastating.

I have to applaud all of the law enforcement personnel involved in this case.
For swiftly catching the culprit, for finding Eliza relatively quickly, and for doing this job after discovering her remains.

I could never do this job.

How can they not be so SAD all the time? Coming home from a workday that involves sifting the bloody ground for infinitesimal pieces of someone who was a vibrant woman just days ago. Or for evidence from the demon who did this to her.

I truly appreciate what they did here, and of course still praying for her family. Eventually her parents, husband, brother and uncle will be confronted with this if they choose to attend the trial.

I hope in some fantasy way that by the time her sons are old enough to understand, some technology will exist that blinds them to ever seeing this, accidentally or even intentionally.

Moo

A product called TigerLady is modeled after a cat's claws and sits in your hand to attack an assailant. Another product called Go Guarded is worn on your finger and features a serrated blade that can be exposed if needed. Some runners carry a stun gun or pepper spray.
I do carry pepper spray even when I'm just out walking with my pup. I also recommend the RoadId app.

RoadID

It allows you to add up to 5 people to be notified if something does not go according to what you've entered as your route. I used it in 2012 training just as EF was, and it worked like a breadcrumb trail. The technology has come so far. Now it really could and does save lives.

Please be safe and alert. It's terrifying humans like CA exist amongst us. I believe we will learn more about this as the investigation evolves. I am still looking for the right words to describe this terrible tragedy.

Perhaps, but women are taught to fight back against an attack.

This is from an Indiana government site Through a Rapist's Eyes

8) If you put up any kind of a fight at all, they get discouraged because it only takes a minute or two for them to realize that going after you isn't worth it because it will be time-consuming.

Gavin De Becker's book, "The Gift of Fear" is a must read. We've discussed it many times over the years I've been here, but not so much anymore. It's still relevant, now more than ever.

The only advice that I would ever give is that IF you are attacked by a male subject like in this case ( sorry guys, I don’t mean to be sexist here), and IF you get the opportunity to do so, IF your hands or hand is free then grab him between his legs and grab his Crown Jewels and squeeze HARD and it will give you sufficient time to get the chance to get away. I don’t advocate this ordinarily however it has worked for me when single handedly fighting a 6ft inebriated squaddie, built like a brick house, when alone and on night duty in uniform LE ( I was regularly single crewed) and in a ‘black spot’ (pls don’t chastise me for the terminology as it’s what we called it back in the late 80’s/early 90’s when we had analogue and not digital radios . They frequently lost signal and when I called for back up I found out that I really was alone !!!!)

So I did the only thing that I could and it worked. Not only did he stop fighting all 5ft 5inches tall and 124lbs of me but he became compliant to the point of me being able to put the cuffs on him and secure him to the police car. Suffice to say that a couple of miles along the road, I was able to get through on my radio and was shortly joined by over a dozen burly male officers wanting blood ( in the days when we regularly paraded 18-20 officers per shift , now you are lucky if it’s 6!)

So, bare it in mind is all that I’m saying.

Plus if you are in the U.K., CS spray /pepper spray is classed as a Section 1 Firearm and illegal to carry so get yourself a travel sized , fit in the small of your hand, hairspray and use it in the same way. It may not be as effective but it will affect him .
I carry one of these. Hooked on my keychain or belt or tucked in my cleavage. It is exquisitely sharp and will do serious damage. Not only against a human attacker but also the aggressive dogs in the neighborhood.

ETA: You wrap your fingers around it and make a fist. The blade part projects out from there.

1662527449809.png

Perhaps, but women are taught to fight back against an attack.

This is from an Indiana government site Through a Rapist's Eyes

8) If you put up any kind of a fight at all, they get discouraged because it only takes a minute or two for them to realize that going after you isn't worth it because it will be time-consuming.

The man was NOT a rapist, From what we know about the initial violent attack/kidnapping, he is a sexually motivated killer.

I don't believe his intent was ever to kidnap, sexually assault, and allow her to survive.
He had a rape case as a juvenile, indicating a sex-violence link at an early age. He was in prison for a crime, where most likely he intended to murder the victim.
The most important safety rule for anyone is never to let them move you, the relocating is what indicates they intend to kill you.

Oh @CharlestonGal, that video was devastating.

I have to applaud all of the law enforcement personnel involved in this case.
For swiftly catching the culprit, for finding Eliza relatively quickly, and for doing this job after discovering her remains.

I could never do this job.

How can they not be so SAD all the time? Coming home from a workday that involves sifting the bloody ground for infinitesimal pieces of someone who was a vibrant woman just days ago. Or for evidence from the demon who did this to her.

I truly appreciate what they did here, and of course still praying for her family. Eventually her parents, husband, brother and uncle will be confronted with this if they choose to attend the trial.

I hope in some fantasy way that by the time her sons are old enough to understand, some technology will exist that blinds them to ever seeing this, accidentally or even intentionally.

Moo

The sifting and digging was horrible to see.

No matter what, a blitz attack by someone who is taller, heavier, stronger, who literally cold clocks you, tackles you to the ground when you pass a bush, so you had no idea a perpetrator was even in the area...a woman would be down. Before you could catch your breath, boom, a solid punch to your face, he can drag you to his car.

It can happen that fast. I have no illusions on how fast that could happen, especially if the perpetrator has a stun gun, or other weapon.

The man was NOT a rapist, From what we know about the initial violent attack/kidnapping, he is a sexually motivated killer.

I don't believe his intent was ever to kidnap, sexually assault, and allow her to survive.
He had a rape case as a juvenile, indicating a sex-violence link at an early age. He was in prison for a crime, where most likely he intended to murder the victim.
The most important safety rule for anyone is never to let them move you, the relocating is what indicates they intend to kill you.
I think Eliza knew that and fought so hard to not be moved to another location. :(

No matter what, a blitz attack by someone who is taller, heavier, stronger, who literally cold clocks you, tackles you to the ground when you pass a bush, so you had no idea a perpetrator was even in the area...a woman would be down. Before you could catch your breath, boom, a solid punch to your face, he can drag you to his car.

It can happen that fast. I have no illusions on how fast that could happen, especially if the perpetrator has a stun gun, or other weapon.
Agreed. We can have weapons but we can be overpowered easily and never be able to use them.

I don’t think most people can identify the smell of actual human remains. Once you smell it and it’s identified for you- it’s a smell you don’t forget IMO. Most people would smell a super foul odor and think a decaying animal/road kill, as an example.

The brain, imo, doesn’t automatically think the odor is human.
Agree. It’s a sweet sickly smell that you never forget. If you are with a decaying body in an interior space, the smell also gets in your clothes and stays there for hours.
I wish I didn’t know this from personal experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova