Found Deceased TN - Evelyn Boswell, 15 months, Sullivan County, 26 DEC 2019 *MOM ARRESTED* #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had assumed the "person of interest" was Megan Boswell. But the way this article reads one local pettifogger seems to believe it is someone else.

Experts: Officials Need More Evidence In Connection To Evelyn Boswell's Death

"Experts also said with the case going to a grand jury and Boswell's $150,000 bond this is an odd case. We're told it's possible more charges could come down.

"Every case is different, but this really is an odd situation with the multiple statements that were given from the mother, and the other individuals in the family being arrested on unrelated charges in a different state. It really is different," John Bares said.

Still, many are waiting to learn what happened to Evelyn.

While Boswell sits in jail, officers said they have a person of interest, but they won't release that person's identity.

"A lot of times we'll hear that statement made where we see, 'we're speaking of persons of interests', because folks watch the news [and] they hear the news, and if they have some type of involvement, they become nervous," Jones said."

I can't help but doubt the Megan is the POI. She's already been arrested and has been in jail for over a month now.

It was mentioned a bit earlier that a blood toxicology test was performed on Evelyn and sealed. If I had to guess what most likely happened, I'd say that Evelyn died after accidentally taking narcotics that were left lying around the house and Megan tried to cover it up. The person of interest is likely either an associate of MB who brought drugs into the house or sold MB the drugs in the first place.

I've read a few articles that have the plural - persons of interest....
Yes, there are several in this case but possibly only one suspect. Anyone who has information about the case is a person of interest. Her family members have knowledge about Evelyn and the stories MB told them about where she was. Her boyfriend would be a POI.

There is a difference between a POI and a suspect. A POI is anyone who may know something about the case that police are interested in talking to. They may or may not be involved. I'm sure investigators interviewed many people.

It may be the persons of interest (besides MB) in this case that help put the pieces together for LE. I believe AB knows more than she has let on. Do we know if she is still in jail? I wonder if LE have been talking to her. Her most current charges may have given them some leverage to get her to tell them what she knows.

I'm sure the one person who knows the most about what happened is Megan. I'm not sure how investigators can believe a thing she says, however. Even if she tells the truth they still have to back it up with evidence.

They also need those autopsy results.

Imo

Ah - thanks for that explanation @MsBetsy ! :)

and I wanted to

welcome-board.gif

@Bradley Q. !

Thank you all for keeping the light on here at websleuths! I had to step away. Now I am confused. We are still waiting for full tox reports from autopsy and review of MB's interviews and the grand jury has not met yet pending these things? TIA

I had assumed the "person of interest" was Megan Boswell. But the way this article reads one local pettifogger seems to believe it is someone else.

Experts: Officials Need More Evidence In Connection To Evelyn Boswell's Death

"Experts also said with the case going to a grand jury and Boswell's $150,000 bond this is an odd case. We're told it's possible more charges could come down.

"Every case is different, but this really is an odd situation with the multiple statements that were given from the mother, and the other individuals in the family being arrested on unrelated charges in a different state. It really is different," John Bares said.

Still, many are waiting to learn what happened to Evelyn.

While Boswell sits in jail, officers said they have a person of interest, but they won't release that person's identity.

"A lot of times we'll hear that statement made where we see, 'we're speaking of persons of interests', because folks watch the news [and] they hear the news, and if they have some type of involvement, they become nervous," Jones said."

Happy Mother's Day to all of our amazing moms here on WS!

I havent had time to read the kink, but why do they say this case is odd?

Imo, it's so common when a parent murders their child or children to make up several lies when talking to LE while being interviewed, even more so when they pretend the victim is missing before found.

It's not that odd either for the killer to even say someone else had the 'missing' child in order to place blame anywhere else or against anyone else.

As far as my own personal opinion I find what this horrid mom did is pretty much inline with other cases involving vile parents who killed their own, and then made up every lie they could think of in order to cover it up.

Jmho

Happy Mother's Day to all of our amazing moms here on WS!

I havent had time to read the kink, but why do they say this case is odd?

Imo, it's so common when a parent murders their child or children to make up several lies when talking to LE while being interviewed, even more so when they pretend the victim is missing before found.

It's not that odd either for the killer to even say someone else had the 'missing' child in order to place blame anywhere else or against anyone else.

As far as my own personal opinion I find what this horrid mom did is pretty much inline with other cases involving vile parents who killed their own, and then made up every lie they could think of in order to cover it up.

Jmho
I believe the references to the case being "odd" are directed at the judicial procedures thus far for MB's arrest and detention. I agree that there's nothing odd about a killer inventing stories or blaming others.

“Normally the investigation is done, they bring the case to the District Attorney’s, and then we end up in court,” Sproles said. “But to have this much court involvement, and coverage, while an investigation is pending? It’s pretty unusual.”
^^sbm

I am on the fence about the case. I do believe that MB lied about what she knows. I also look at the relatives and people in her life at the time. Many have lied . I think poi maybe someone she fears or the person she fears is the one who helped in the murder or maybe it was the person who had the drugs that EB might have gotten a hold of. There's to many people lying so theories are all I got. I still learn towards the boyfriend

RSBBM<don't know if this was posted>

JUSTICE FOR EVELYN

Strickler said the investigation into Evelyn’s death is still ongoing. He said the COVID-19 pandemic has not slowed the process.

“I can say this. We will never, ever, forget Evelyn Boswell. Ever,” Strickler said.

But investigators are waiting on the autopsy results, plus forensic evidence and lab results. Strickler says this could still take over a month. He said lots of work needs to be done before they’ll be ready to make any type of indictment in the case, and it’s impossible to say right now when that could happen.

While her body was found on March 6th, Strickler does not know when exactly Evelyn Boswell died.

“We’ll know more when the autopsy results come back,” he said.

Strickler also isn’t able to give any more specific details on the body found inside a shed on property of the Boswell family.

“That will all be a part of the findings, as far as our presentation to potential criminal prosecution,” he said.

He says investigators haven’t spoken with Megan since Evelyn’s body was located. He said Megan now has an attorney.

Brad Sproles was appointed as Megan’s attorney in March.

Strickler said investigators have also not interviewed any members of Megan’s family since Evelyn’s body was found. But the Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office is still following up on any leads they receive.

“Any type of lead that may still continue to come in, we send investigators out on it,” he said.

Strickler said investigators have weekly meetings with the District Attorney’s Office, which will carry out the legal end of the case. He calls their investigative process ‘slow’ and ‘methodical,’ because they can’t afford to make mistakes.

“What we have seen, and what we’ve been through, and the fight that we’ve had, which has been overwhelming, frustrating,” Strickler said. “There’s so many things that’s went on in this case that the general public doesn’t see. We all want justice for Evelyn. We all want that.”

SCSO: Investigators say they are looking into ‘a person of interest’ in death of Evelyn Boswell

I don't know why, but I keep thinking that this was more of a neglect situation, than a physical abuse leads to child's death case. And if it really was a death caused by her being neglected, I think it's very much possible that Evelyn wasn't even with her mother when whatever happened, happened. I just have this feeling that this case isn't as "simple" was some might think. The whole family dynamic is odd. Tensions between family members, accusing family members, crimes constantly being commited, accusations thrown around, violence, neglect, and God knows what else.

RSBBM<don't know if this was posted>

JUSTICE FOR EVELYN

Strickler said the investigation into Evelyn’s death is still ongoing. He said the COVID-19 pandemic has not slowed the process.

“I can say this. We will never, ever, forget Evelyn Boswell. Ever,” Strickler said.

But investigators are waiting on the autopsy results, plus forensic evidence and lab results. Strickler says this could still take over a month. He said lots of work needs to be done before they’ll be ready to make any type of indictment in the case, and it’s impossible to say right now when that could happen.

While her body was found on March 6th, Strickler does not know when exactly Evelyn Boswell died.

“We’ll know more when the autopsy results come back,” he said.

Strickler also isn’t able to give any more specific details on the body found inside a shed on property of the Boswell family.

“That will all be a part of the findings, as far as our presentation to potential criminal prosecution,” he said.

He says investigators haven’t spoken with Megan since Evelyn’s body was located. He said Megan now has an attorney.

Brad Sproles was appointed as Megan’s attorney in March.

Strickler said investigators have also not interviewed any members of Megan’s family since Evelyn’s body was found. But the Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office is still following up on any leads they receive.

“Any type of lead that may still continue to come in, we send investigators out on it,” he said.

Strickler said investigators have weekly meetings with the District Attorney’s Office, which will carry out the legal end of the case. He calls their investigative process ‘slow’ and ‘methodical,’ because they can’t afford to make mistakes.

“What we have seen, and what we’ve been through, and the fight that we’ve had, which has been overwhelming, frustrating,” Strickler said. “There’s so many things that’s went on in this case that the general public doesn’t see. We all want justice for Evelyn. We all want that.”

SCSO: Investigators say they are looking into ‘a person of interest’ in death of Evelyn Boswell

Thanks -- I think I missed this May 6, 2020 report also.

It's not surprising that investigators haven't talked to MB or her relatives as I'm sure they've been advised by her lawyer not to comment.

I'm also anxious to know what has been going on behind the scenes (per news article) and where there's been no bail reduction hearing after more than a month (i.e., for lying to investigators charge). The lesser offense certainly doesn't need a grand jury so these are the kind of details we've not heard about. I believe the DA is confident MB will be indicted for additional charges.

Such a shame this adorable child was what I believe a victim of several irresponsible adults. MOO

I don't know why, but I keep thinking that this was more of a neglect situation, than a physical abuse leads to child's death case. And if it really was a death caused by her being neglected, I think it's very much possible that Evelyn wasn't even with her mother when whatever happened, happened. I just have this feeling that this case isn't as "simple" was some might think. The whole family dynamic is odd. Tensions between family members, accusing family members, crimes constantly being commited, accusations thrown around, violence, neglect, and God knows what else.

I tend to agree. Yet I go back and forth here on whether or not Evelyn was not being watched as closely as she should have been by MB, AB, or whomever. Maybe she ingested something, drowned in the tub, choked when feeding herself, etc., -- all preventable if watchful eyes were on such a child. At that age, it only takes a minute for danger to turn fatal. If Evelyn was with AB and true that MB was threatened not to contact authorities about her missing child then she's responsible for delay in finding Evelyn -- dead or alive.

My last fear that I try to avoid thinking about is that Evelyn was harmed by MB's love interest. Let me be clear that I have no basis for stating this other than the statistics for how many girls and women have put their child aside under these circumstances -- especially when the defendant is a minor herself and probably overwhelmed with school, job, and motherhood.

If this was an accidental death, I don't think MB would have called 911 out of fear but also don't know who she would turn to. If she called her dad TB, he'd probably call the police. Would she call AB? Possibly -- and maybe she'd help hide the toddler for a price such as getting AB a car. I always thought there was something off about MB buying her mother a car. And there's still the possibility that AB alone was responsible for Evelyn's death and disappearance and MB was afraid to cross her.

MOO

Last edited:
Evelyn Mae Boswell's mother caused 'fatal delay' by giving false tips to cops searching for missing toddler

May 12, 2020

SULLIVAN COUNTY, TENNESSEE: More than two months after authorities found the dead body of toddler Evelyn Mae Boswell, some progress has been made in the case and a "person of interest" has been identified.

[..]

MEA WorldWide (MEAWW) previously reported that an AMBER Alert had been issued after the 15-month-old girl had been reported missing on February 18 by her maternal grandfather Tommy Sr. and that from the very beginning, there were several irregularities in her disappearance.

For one, she had not been seen since December 26. When questioned, her 18-year-old mother, Megan Boswell, reportedly gave many conflicting statements, including falsely claiming that her mother Angela had taken the toddler and that she was pregnant with her second child.

She first told police that her daughter was with her father, Ethan Perry, and even detailed a plan to pick her up from him at the parking lot of a grocery store. When asked about the same, Ethan, who was on active duty and stationed in Louisana at the time, said he did not have the young girl.

Meghan then pointed the finger at her mother and urged the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation to search a campground in Mendota, Virginia where she alleged Angela was keeping the 15-month-old tot in a silver camper.

However, an extensive search of the property turned up nothing.

Authorities still issued a BOLO regarding a gray 2007 BMW, which was found to be driven by Angela and her boyfriend, William McLoud. She was subsequently charged with possession of stolen property and probation violation charges.

"Every time we talk to her, her story changes," Sullivan County Sheriff Jeff Cassidy said of Megan. "I'm serious when I say that. Every single time."

Megan was arrested on February 25 and charged with providing false reports, with the Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office claiming that her false tips cost them thousands of dollars and made them lose valuable time in their search for Evelyn.

'Person Of Interest' Identified In Case Of Dead Toddler Evelyn Mae Boswell, Authorities Say

May 12, 2020

Tennessee authorities have now identified a “person of interest” in the case — although they are not ready to release that person's identity, Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office Capt. Joey Strickler told local outlet WJHL on Wednesday.

This announcement came just days before the scheduled arraignment of the toddler’s mother and legal guardian, 18-year-old Megan "Maggie" Boswell.

Boswell is being held on a $150,000 bond for allegedly giving investigators false information related to this case, the Bristol Herald Courier, a local newspaper, reports.

Her Friday hearing was held over video conference and live-streamed on Facebook. However, Prosecutor Teresa Nelson asked for the arraignment to be pushed back to a later date, since her team is still reviewing more than 25 hours of interviews authorities conducted with Boswell.

Mother of Evelyn Mae Boswell may walk free after judge agrees to bail reduction hearing as baby's death remains unsolved

May 12, 2020

THE mother of Evelyn Mae Boswell may be released from jail by the end of the month after the judge in her case agreed to a bail reduction hearing.

Megan "Maggie" Boswell could now be free to return home as early as May 28, just as police announce that they have identified a person of interest in her daughter's death.

[..]

Evelyn's remains were later found buried beneath a shed on Tommy Sr's property.

Her body had been dumped in the hole alongside a pile of clothing and toys.

Maggie had been living with her father and his new wife up until November of last year.

It is still unclear where she and Evelyn were staying after they moved out of his house.

Police have been investigating the case for over six weeks, noting that their probe has been hindered by the current coronavirus outbreak.

It has also not yet been determined how Evelyn died, though autopsy results are expected soon.

The judge has already agreed to seal those results, which should reveal when and how Evelyn died.

[..]

She will now be back in court on May 28 for her bail reduction hearing and June 19 for her arraignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member