TN TN - Kathy Jones, 12, Nashville, 29 Nov 1969 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Did they find her street shoes??

IDK. They for sure did look for them. But, her clothes are separate from her file, I think. In another storage box, I guess? There are notes about the shoes being sought after at the time as they knew she was not wearing those skates out on those busy roads. Even in 1969, Nolensville Road and Thompson Lane were very busy.

December, I know nothing much about the fellow who does the blog linked below -- it appears he is some sort of crime writer...?

Anyhow, I ran across his blog and noticed that he has, from time to time, done posts about crimes from the Nashville area (I think he has some sort of link to the area), so I did a search, but found nothing on his blog about Kathy.

Just wondered if you might want to ask him if he would feature her case?

http://kidnappingmurderandmayhem.blogspot.com/

I went to that link. I may do that. Thank you.

Thank you, I think I understand now. So Thanksgiving week is the week on which Thanksgiving falls, or is it Thursday to Thursday? If this makes sense.

I still think that if someone was from out of town and just visiting, they'd have to be able to keep Kathy hidden for some time - between the time she went missing, until her body was found on December 2. This could be at home or somewhere else, but either way would indicate to me that this was someone who knew the area very well, well enough to be able to do so without raising the suspicions of an entire family! I also believe it's more likely that the perp was visiting his family and not in-laws, I can't imagine many in-laws making excuses or ignoring strange stuff like the perp possibly disappearing from time to time, whereas I believe that someone's parents would be more likely to. Not to mention, someone who grew up in the area would have an easier time seeming less suspicious, as he could pretend he was visiting a friend's house or going to places he liked growing up.

I'm sorry if it seems disrespectful to be trying to analyze the case on this date, to me at least, it seems like the best way to pay homage to Kathy is to try to bring some justice to her memory and her family by helping to solve this case in any way we can. (I just thought I'd explain in case it seemed disrespectful to anyone.)

I have never, ever seen any post from you that was disrespectful. I've read lots... you are very thoughtful. We have to analyze the case. The police want to solve this .... it is the worst child murder in Nashville's history. If we get a good idea, they do look at it. I appreciate you taking time to think of Kathy and how to help her.

I'm still reading. I've noticed that my questions about Thanksgiving and motels were brought up by other people as well, around page 10 or so, and were answered.

I believe some good points were brought up and I think that if it was someone travelling on the Thanksgiving weekend, it was someone who was en route to somewhere else and stopped in Nashville, probably someone who left earlier under the excuse of going back home for work and then decided to make a long stop in Nashville. I also find this plausible:

BBM.

Maybe someone who could plausibly lie or have a good reason not to go away with family and stay back in town. Or maybe someone who lived in town with friends or a live-in girlfriend or boyfriend, who then left for Thanksgiving and the perp didn't have anyone paying attention to where he was going and when.

---

People have also mentioned a few times that Kathy may have taken a shortcut through the yards of nearby houses as people would have known her. Were local houses searched? Could any of the people who lived near her house have done it?

It's been mentioned a few times that Kathy wouldn't have gotten into a car with someone she didn't know well and that she may have even turned out a ride from someone who saw her walking outside alone (do we know what time that happened, by the way?).

This means that I think it would be unlikely to go into the house of a random stranger. I guess it's possible he could have pretended to be angry that she was trespassing or something, and then used that to throw her off-guard, but that seems less likely so I won't get into that unless anyone thinks that's an important possibility.

So if it was someone in a nearby house, I think it's more likely that it was someone Kathy knew reasonably well. Maybe he greeted her and made small talk and abducted her when nobody was around, or lured her inside the house or somewhere on the property under an excuse. Remember that someone who would do such a thing would be someone good at keeping up a facade, so most likely, he was someone nobody had any reason to be wary of and probably someone Kathy trusted. :(

Just an idea.

---

Do we know for a fact that she had a dollar when she was found AND her mother also gave her a dollar when she left the house? Because to me that would indicate that she never made it to the KK and to the rink.

Unless someone at the KK had given her food or a beverage for free but that would have been suspicious (if it was the perp, he would avoid doing so, IMO) OR if it was an innocent person, the waiter would remember having given free food to the missing girl everyone was searching for.

So I think it's a pretty strong indicator she didn't make it to the KK or the RR.

As to the bus, I think it could have been free? I don't know, but it seems like a business running a service like a bus to pick up and drop off costumers would run it for free, to promote business. Kind of as saying, costumers don't even have to pay for their own transportation, it's free! And so on.

I think it wouldn't make sense for the bus to stop at the house of every kid like someone suggested. That would be more complicated and not very practical. I think it's more likely that the bus would have stopped at key locations in the area.

In the town where I grew up, there were a few private buses associated with businesses, like extracurricular activity clubs and day trips for old people. They usually stopped at key points like near schools or churches, even businesses they had an agreement with or which were very well-known locally, places which can be used as reference points to local residents. Could the KK be such a location?

---

Snipped respectfully.

Could it be that Kathy didn't know in advance which friends she was meeting exactly? Maybe it was well-known fact that local kids would be going to the rink at that hour since it wasn't a school day. So maybe both she and her mother figured she'd just run into kids she knew once she got to the rink.

Another thing I've thought is that since it was over a holiday, maybe they assumed some of Kathy's friends out be out of town, but she'd still run into at least a few or maybe even other children she knew from school but which weren't part of her main circle of friends.

---

As per usual, this is all my own opinion and not authoritative statements.

It is possible someone confronted Kathy in a yard rather than on the street. Honestly, they could have scooped her up and run inside with her before she had time to make a peep. That sounds crazy, but someone did that to a grown woman once in Nashville. That guy was crazy and I believe she was rescued, but only because he carried her some distance. So, I am seriously mulling over the idea she was taken from a yard along the way and secreted in whatever house. Now could anyone know?

KK does give out free samples and I'm pretty sure they always have. Given this was a holiday weekend maybe they were especially generous? IDK... But they usually do extra things for the holidays. Even today $1 buys a doughnut... in 1969, she could've gotten a few things.

It is the roller skating place that had the bus. There were a lot of kids on only a few streets very near the rink, so maybe they did go street by street? However, Kathy was walking. If the official bus had stopped and offered her a ride then I believe she would have seriously considered accepting. She did not know the criminal record of Adcox, the bus driver.

I know Mickey Miller told the scene Adcox was no longer a suspect, but that has changed. He is dead, but he IS a suspect. He is not the only one.. Miller was after a specific person at the time he did that interview. So, I think he said some things directly to that individual.

From what I have been told .... even if it turns out to be Adcox, they want to prove it even if there is nothing to do to him. But, there are others (Darrell) they are investigating. Those people are still living.

But, Pat Postligone said Kathy did not make it to skating.

I do think it is possible the "friends" were random kids that skated a lot, but IDK for sure. I know her best friend was in town, but IDK if she skated.

A lady said her grandfather drove her and her sister. He said he wished he knew about Kathy and he would've taken her, too. But, I don't they he saw her or offered her a ride. If Kathy was offered a ride by her two friends, I think she would've taken it. I suspect he had already taken the girls before Kathy even left... so, IDK... I don't think he ever saw her, but was wishing she'd gotten there and back safely. IDK if he knew her, but maybe.

Sorry for the double post - I didn't want to make one gigantic post.

---

I have a question, mainly for December, why are/were you looking at SS knives specifically? This isn't an attack, I'm just wondering.

Those usually fetch pretty high prices at auctions I believe, unless they're replicas.

If you're talking about the shape of the blade being consistent with the almond-shaped marks, there are also other knives that also have a similar blade shape. Just search for 'double blade knife' or something similar. Some of the images that will likely come up have fancier decorative blades that don't have an almond shape but look at the more practical designs that are intended for everyday use. IMO aside from the fact that the knives you're looking at have the SS logo, the blade marks they'd leave could be much the same as any other knife of this type.

---

(Snipped. My reply may also be graphic in nature.)

I don't think that's actually true... I've searched for it and all I could find were websites about aliens and then unrelated results about health problems.

I don't think that small, non-lethal cuts would have produced enough blood for that if that was the perp's intention IMO. The only non-lethal amount that I can see being feasible for that would probably be much higher like the kind you can recover from but it's very severe and even takes days or even a transfusion.

Not to mention, I don't think that adrenaline is in its 'original' state when it's in the blood so it would be more dilluted. Otherwise, everyone who went hunting or raised their own livestock for food would always seem like they were on drugs.

It seems more feasible to me that if those were indeed cuts made intentionally, that they were made by the perp trying to threaten her.

---

(This part may be graphic also.)

Something I've thought about the almond-shaped marks. Were they filled in or more of an outline? If it's the latter it makes me think of chains. Most of them are more oval however, I've seen a few smaller ones that are more almond-shaped than neatly oval. If they were solid shapes, then it could also be buttons used on a piece of clothing, or decorative studs from maybe a belt? I don't mean the studs you see on belts nowadays that are much higher but the ones that are only slightly more raised than the fabric itself.

This in addition to what people have said of collars which he could have improvised as a way of keeping her from running away. :(

I have a question, would knife-marks be considered almond-shaped as mentioned above? The first thing that came to mind when I read 'almond-shaped marks' was not the tip of a knife, but something that made that shape on both ends.

---

I also wonder if the reason why they dropped the charges against Adcox is that he was wrong about some detail they were keeping to themselves. I've heard, both on WS and from reading, that sometimes LE keeps details about the crime scenes to themselves, so they can check and see if sources and perps are for real because it's the sort of insider info that never make it to the media.

Maybe he confessed when talking to the 'known felon' and then to the little boy to try and sound intimidating but when he was questioned, or when what the known felon or the boy reported back he said, didn't match up to what they had on file.

Maybe they believed he was innocent or maybe they knew he wasn't innocent but that he wasn't the main perp they were also hoping to find. Like maybe he helped the main perp, or he knew the main perp and heard some details from him, but then he got some of the insider info wrong in majorly important points that the main perp would know.

I wonder if he could also be taking the fall for someone he knew and was friends with, maybe someone who owed him a favor. What if the main perp once caught could be easily linked to the crime scene or at least the perp and Adcox thought so? So then Adcox, knowing it'll take a while for LE to find something on which to presecute him, throws them off by pretending he was the main and only perp and then when they're getting closer to that he pretends to be entirely innocent.

Just a thought.

As usual everything is :twocents:, :moo:, etc.

Warning... gross stuff ahead...

Weirdos like SS knives. This is why those, but not only those are possible

During WWII, many things were confiscated per various terms of surrender. Many of these were destroyed (IDK for sure about German stuff, but I have seen photos of Japanese swords and knives being destroyed). However, some items found their way back to the U.S. even if they weren't supposed to. Such items could then be sold or even stolen (none of the suspects are old enough to have fought in WWII).

At the time I was looking at the SS stuff, I thought she'd been ritualistically tortured. After talking to the detective... I don't think it was to that degree. So, such a fancy knife is unlikely. All the SS knives I read about were very good to extremely high quality. But, taking away the SS PR and just looking at some elements of the design I thought was interesting. Maybe there is a more mundane knife that is a little bit the same.

No one from my family brought anything back from WWII other than a few items (not weapons) bought in a store. They did not steal stuff, but a lot of people saw things differently. So, at one time some people had "war souvenirs". I was given a leaflet the Japanese dropped on our people inviting them to surrender, but they gave that to us so that's different. Anyway, I have seen SS stuff that looked pretty old. IDK how it was obtained, but this was about 15 years ago. I don't recall if there were knives, I kind of scampered along.

If you see something you think fits I will try to find examples. Belt buckle is a good idea.

December hasn't been active since November. I'm getting worried! Update us sweetheart!!

Thank you for thinking of me.... I have been dealing with some things. I feel bad that I stayed away so long.

Sorry for the double post - I didn't want to make one gigantic post.

---

I have a question, mainly for December, why are/were you looking at SS knives specifically? This isn't an attack, I'm just wondering.

Those usually fetch pretty high prices at auctions I believe, unless they're replicas.

If you're talking about the shape of the blade being consistent with the almond-shaped marks, there are also other knives that also have a similar blade shape. Just search for 'double blade knife' or something similar. Some of the images that will likely come up have fancier decorative blades that don't have an almond shape but look at the more practical designs that are intended for everyday use. IMO aside from the fact that the knives you're looking at have the SS logo, the blade marks they'd leave could be much the same as any other knife of this type.

---

(Snipped. My reply may also be graphic in nature.)

I don't think that's actually true... I've searched for it and all I could find were websites about aliens and then unrelated results about health problems.

I don't think that small, non-lethal cuts would have produced enough blood for that if that was the perp's intention IMO. The only non-lethal amount that I can see being feasible for that would probably be much higher like the kind you can recover from but it's very severe and even takes days or even a transfusion.

Not to mention, I don't think that adrenaline is in its 'original' state when it's in the blood so it would be more dilluted. Otherwise, everyone who went hunting or raised their own livestock for food would always seem like they were on drugs.

It seems more feasible to me that if those were indeed cuts made intentionally, that they were made by the perp trying to threaten her.

---

(This part may be graphic also.)

Something I've thought about the almond-shaped marks. Were they filled in or more of an outline? If it's the latter it makes me think of chains. Most of them are more oval however, I've seen a few smaller ones that are more almond-shaped than neatly oval. If they were solid shapes, then it could also be buttons used on a piece of clothing, or decorative studs from maybe a belt? I don't mean the studs you see on belts nowadays that are much higher but the ones that are only slightly more raised than the fabric itself.

This in addition to what people have said of collars which he could have improvised as a way of keeping her from running away. :(

I have a question, would knife-marks be considered almond-shaped as mentioned above? The first thing that came to mind when I read 'almond-shaped marks' was not the tip of a knife, but something that made that shape on both ends.

---

I also wonder if the reason why they dropped the charges against Adcox is that he was wrong about some detail they were keeping to themselves. I've heard, both on WS and from reading, that sometimes LE keeps details about the crime scenes to themselves, so they can check and see if sources and perps are for real because it's the sort of insider info that never make it to the media.

Maybe he confessed when talking to the 'known felon' and then to the little boy to try and sound intimidating but when he was questioned, or when what the known felon or the boy reported back he said, didn't match up to what they had on file.

Maybe they believed he was innocent or maybe they knew he wasn't innocent but that he wasn't the main perp they were also hoping to find. Like maybe he helped the main perp, or he knew the main perp and heard some details from him, but then he got some of the insider info wrong in majorly important points that the main perp would know.

I wonder if he could also be taking the fall for someone he knew and was friends with, maybe someone who owed him a favor. What if the main perp once caught could be easily linked to the crime scene or at least the perp and Adcox thought so? So then Adcox, knowing it'll take a while for LE to find something on which to presecute him, throws them off by pretending he was the main and only perp and then when they're getting closer to that he pretends to be entirely innocent.

Just a thought.

As usual everything is :twocents:, :moo:, etc.

Adcox was known to the police even in 1969 as a child molester. How he got a pedophile's dream job of driving little kids on a bus, IDK.

Your idea that maybe there was another person with Adcox is a good one. That would explain a lot.

I don't know why the prosecution would procede with the case. The original detectives felt it was solid.

Adcox is a suspect. But, he's dead. However, they did many interviews with him. Also, people brought evidence against him.

Adcox is guilty of many things for certain, but there is still some doubt on Kathy's case. IDK why.

I can't say everything, but he was not cleared. IDK why Mickey Miller said that... maybe it looked that way when he said it or maybe he was trying to lure a suspect into making a mistake. He has personally worked on Kathy's case, so he knows a lot about it.

Sorry to be late to the discussion,

Just so I have the facts straight

Left home, Nov 19, found Dec 2 , coroner feels she was killed Dec 1

Arms, bound behind her back with a Plaid material, yet her own clothes, were used to gag her, and in the case of her sock suffocate the victim

She's found discarded in tall grass, behind a Krispy Kreme donuts.

Several stab sounds to neck one under her left breast, possibly post mortem?

Evidence of prolonged, abuse, (IE severe bruising on her buttocks) .. and I believe December said bruises elsewhere

The rape included vaginal and anal penetration.

As has been mentioned 11/29/69 was when she left to go skating. She was a well behaved girl, but despite that she was originally considered to be a runaway. Therefore, some sightings of her reported in the media are now considered false by police (and probably were shortly after she was found).

The lot she was found in is still vacant, but now it is fenced and kept mowed. She was found on the second search of the lot. Also, a woman burned trash not far from where Kathy was found earlier that day. That woman lived right behind the lot.

The police interviewed everyone who participated in the search. Those people thought they would find a living girl... maybe she would be injured or something... but no one expected what they saw.

One of her legs was drawn up against her chest in an unnatural position. Her head was back... she was in a very weird position which makes me wonder if she had been held by something now gone.

Material from the lining of her coat was used also. Her stuff was all wadded up and strewn around. She had a purse, BTW. Its contents were strewn around.

Kathy went missing on the evening of November 29, 1969, the same day as Glenda Sirmans.

The plaid cloth was torn from the lining of her jacket.

I'm quoting my own post with a list of the facts taken primarily from media reports.

ETA: Adding links

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/a-killing-a-search-a-suspect/Content?oid=1182733

http://www.wsmv.com/story/19024068/cold-case-detectives-seek-publics-help-in-grisly-killings

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=10774294

One thing I would add is this case immediately was given to two senior detectives. They initially had several officers/detectives assisting them. They worked the case every spare moment until retirement. Since then, several other detectives have worked it. This includes Mickey Miller and Pat Postligone (he is now retired).

December - I have been reading the older posts on this case and wanted to ask you about the suspect that Captain Miller mentions in the 1998 interview. Do you know who he is referring to and why this person is a suspect? With all of the earlier suspicion directed towards Adcox, I was curious if Adcox is still the main suspect or does Miller think the guy now living in Nashville is the perp?

December - I have been reading the older posts on this case and wanted to ask you about the suspect that Captain Miller mentions in the 1998 interview. Do you know who he is referring to and why this person is a suspect? With all of the earlier suspicion directed towards Adcox, I was curious if Adcox is still the main suspect or does Miller think the guy now living in Nashville is the perp?

I don't know. I think it might be Darrell referred to in that article, but that is only a guess. I don't know if Adcox is the main suspect or not. I think there might be a third suspect, but I don't know who he is. I've never spoken to Capt. Miller.

In the article, he mentions someone who he feels is afraid to come forward. It is possible that person died. Quite a few people have died and some of them quite young (these would not be suspects, but someone with information the police needed). This is just a guess, but it would explain why he hasn't been able to move forward despite thinking it would happen soon in 1998.

The police have conducted a lot of interviews over the years. Many people (suspects and otherwise) have been interviewed a number of times. This, plus some people's criminal records, then where they were and what they were doing at the time had a lot to do with bringing them to the attention of police.

Kathy's case is pretty well investigated which is unusual for a cold case. But, some things have happened through the years that have set the investigation back such as witnesses dying.

Growing up, I always heard that Kathy had been held captive for a few days and was simply dumped at the lot. The case is unsolved, so IDK what happened for certain. It is possible it happened that way. Some people here think it is possible it all happened where she was discovered. I did ask the detective if that would be possible and he said it could have happened that way. I do not know for sure which way the police are leaning at this point.

The main reason I still wonder if it could have all happened there is it is very close to Kripsy Kreme. I know the lot was weeded and it was dark, but still.... However, weird and unimaginable things can and do happen.

It also could be that she was held, but only for some hours and that nothing much happened during her captivity. She had some kind of particles on her coat and maybe they could be somewhere she had been stashed.

So, there are at least three scenarios that might have taken place as far as we know. I wish I knew more about what kind of foot traffic there would have been at the time... this lot was VERY close to the Krispy Kreme. Kathy wasn't very easy to see lying down among the weeds after she died, but while the crime was taking place I would think the killer might be standing up at least part of the time. Also, due to the damage, I think it would have taken a little while.

And then there is the fact that we do not know where the killer encountered Kathy. AFAIK, there would be no reason for her to be BEHIND the Krispy Kreme. There wasn't an entrance back there or anything of that nature. (EDITED to add: What I mean by this, is I can't figure out any way she would have been in that lot, therefore it seems to me she would have encountered him elsewhere.. maybe fairly near, but still.. and been lured or transported or forced to this location and that might have taken a little bit of time.)

I went to that exact location several times before they widened the road and changed the building, but I did not realize it was the same one that Kathy had been murdered going to/trying to go to. If I had, maybe I would have tried looking around the back or whatever, but I thought she was at a different one where her mother lived (during the time I knew her mother.. who is now deceased... years after Kathy died).

That one is in an entirely different part of town and the area behind it is actually more sheltered than this one. There is even a skating rink (or what used to be one) across the street. So, I always fit things people told me into that area until I started looking at the actual addresses and realizing where they really were.

Included edited to add sentence.

Kathy and Glenda are always close to my heart. Rest in peace, precious girls.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissa D.
Back