Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing from a bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know why men gravitate to water while drunk but Im Dutch and lived most of my life in Amsterdam. We had / have so many drownings every year mostly tourists and expats. All men. Whenever a man was missing I knew hes in water and I see this phenomenon in other countries as well.

Once I was in a bar by the water and young expat gone missing while going to the bathroom and never came back. He was found almost 2 weeks later in water. Probably gone to the bathroom by the water because the bar I was at was notorious for busy bathrooms.

I guess one reason is as some of you mentioned going to pee in the water.
Im adding some article about that issue as to why so many young men die in water.
I hope that Riley will be found safe but I do believe he is in the water.

My mom is from Holland. Amsterdammer! But she left at age 14 after WWII. She’s going next month to visit her cousins who live in Amsterdam and a couple others near Naarden.

I was there last May. The only people I ever saw really drunk were not Dutch. And it’s easy to access the canals so I can see that there would be a lot of accidents.

Looking at a map of the park where this young man’s phone last pinged and the River, I’m fearing this is the most likely possibility. I wonder how and where they would search the water.

My problem is how are they serving someone that drunk? I mean I guess it’s hard to be able to see how inebriated a person is in a crowded, loud bar. Such a shame.
It’s possible he was given drinks by his friends. I worked an event once where we cut someone off for being aggressively drunk but his family and friends continued supplying him with drinks.

It’s possible he was given drinks by his friends. I worked an event once where we cut someone off for being aggressively drunk but his family and friends continued supplying him with drinks.
I agree, I did a bartender job in my early 20s over the summer. Usually one friend from few who was at the table was ordering drinks . While people say at the tables without being aggressive or slouching over table it was really impossible for bartender to notice who is drunk on a busy night. People often go to few bars and already come in tipsy while their friends order the drinks.

Also about stopping someone from leaving it has happened few times while I was working where bouncer stopped someone from leaving because they didn’t pay. Its more of a did you pay your tap? And someone is like “No” then bouncer said “ you gotta pay before leaving”. But not actually stopping forcefully someone from leaving the bar.
Friend might have meant that by saying they didn’t let him leave.

Is there sufficient guardrails to protect against people accidentally falling in the river at the point that he was last seen? If so, I can’t imagine someone as drunk as he was actually putting in so much effort to jump them. What is the upside of that? I have been pretty sh*#tfaced before, especially when I was his age. My inclination was to always lie down to sleep it off. I even woke up one morning by myself laying in bark chips underneath a swing set and far from home after a night of partying with friends. And another time I walked home 10 miles or so, only to sleep on the porch as I could go no further. You would think, or hope, that despite being bombed that sheer instinct would prevent Riley from jumping a fence and into potential danger. For what?

I hope that I am wrong.

He could have consumed many many drinks, and honestly he could have only had 2 or 3, we don't know. Alcohol affects everyone differently. When I was much younger, I could have had 10 shots before I felt or appeared drunk. These days I rarely consume anything containing alcohol, so if I have even 1 drink in a social setting, I can feel the effects, almost immediately. If, when and what he ate that day could also make a difference in how fast his body absorbed the alcohol as well.

He could have consumed many many drinks, and honestly he could have only had 2 or 3, we don't know. Alcohol affects everyone differently. When I was much younger, I could have had 10 shots before I felt or appeared drunk. These days I rarely consume anything containing alcohol, so if I have even 1 drink in a social setting, I can feel the effects, almost immediately. If, when and what he ate that day could also make a difference in how fast his body absorbed the alcohol as well.
This!

Intoxication depends on many factors not only about how many drinks one had but how much they ate, how tired they are and how fast they drink.

One can have same amount as usually but if on empty stomach or drinking real fast the effects are way different. I once got really really drunk without drinking a lot actually but because i didn’t eat well while doing so and decided to play drinking game. Seeing me one would think god knows how much i drank but i didn’t it was the other factors at play at that time. Luckily for my friends who dragged me out of the bar and brought me home.

Is there sufficient guardrails to protect against people accidentally falling in the river at the point that he was last seen? If so, I can’t imagine someone as drunk as he was actually putting in so much effort to jump them. What is the upside of that? I have been pretty sh*#tfaced before, especially when I was his age. My inclination was to always lie down to sleep it off. I even woke up one morning by myself laying in bark chips underneath a swing set and far from home after a night of partying with friends. And another time I walked home 10 miles or so, only to sleep on the porch as I could go no further. You would think, or hope, that despite being bombed that sheer instinct would prevent Riley from jumping a fence and into potential danger. For what?

I hope that I am wrong.
I don’t know why but I just keep thinking of him possibly leaning over to puke and going over…or dropping his phone and going over. I hope not but in the condition that he was in, so many things could have occurred.

Updated Thu, March 14th 2024 at 6:14 AM
Riley’s family said the volunteer search and rescue group, the United Cajun Navy, is on standby, ready again to help search the nearby Cumberland River as soon as investigators give them a better idea of where exactly to search, at this point. Previous water searches over the last two days have not yielded any clues.

'Mar 14, 2024 #Missing #RileyStrain #nashville
Riley Strain, a 22-year-old student at the University of Missouri, was last seen Friday night in Nashville, where he was attending a fraternity conference. His cousin Chelsea Strain and family friend Chris Dingman join "Banfield" to discuss.'
'Mar 13, 2024
Luke Bryan is speaking out after 22-year-old University of Missouri student Riley Strain mysteriously went missing on Friday March 8th after being kicked out of Luke Bryan's bar "32 Bridge" located in downtown Nashville, Tennessee. Riley Strain left Luke Bryan's bar alone on that night and family claim bar staff did not allow his friends to accompany him. Praying Riley Strain found safe. '

It appears this bar is huge, looks like 3 stories/balcany kind of thing. Since we don't know the time that he got to that bar he could have been on the sober side when he got there or at least not visably intoxicated however a shot or 2 could have put him over the line and then he stood out to the bouncers/bartenders. IMO

I hope that I am wrong.

The Riverwalk has plazas with direct access to the river, segments with low railing and chain link fencing near the river based industries.

Pictures:
Riverfront Park - All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (with Photos)

[...]
His cell phone last pinged around 10 to 10:30 p.m. near Public Square Park, close to Gay Street and the river.
[…]

Strain’s phone pinged on the Life360 and Snapchat apps, and from Verizon’s tower about 30 to 45 minutes after he left the bar. However, Strain’s phone has not been active since.

"Verizon provided police with the last known location of Riley's phone. [It] last pinged 0.64 miles southwest of the cell tower located at 19 Oldham Street."

Man, 22, reported missing after being kicked out of Luke Bryan's Nashville bar

At the Woodland St Bridge which is close to JR Pkwy bridge?

Here are pictures of Gay St under Woodland St Bridge:
City-Data Forum - View Single Post - Nashville Pictures

[...]
A third angle from a Metro Police camera shows Riley crossing First Avenue where Church Street turns into Gay Street near the river. Riley can be seen looking around for a moment, before continuing towards the river.

That was the last time Riley was shown on camera, but according to his family, his phone showed his location moving up Gay Street towards the James Robertson Parkway Bridge before the signal stopped.
[...]
New video, 911 call give more details into the night Riley Strain disappeared in Nashville

There are guardrails on JR Pkwy Bridge but they are low considering RS’s height and unsteadiness on his feet.
Here are some pictures:

James Robertson Parkway Bridge

all imo

MAR 14, 2024
Dingman, who WSMV4 also interviewed on Wednesday, said family members in Nashville told him a homeless person acknowledged seeing Strain in the area.

“I was talking to family members currently in downtown Nashville searching, and we have found another homeless person that had acknowledged that Riley had been in that area,” Dingman said. “This now makes two people that has done confirmation. These are areas that the camera had stops. We don’t have any footage. Basically, the areas where his phone quit pinging. We now do have visual confirmation from two homeless camps that Riley was in that area.”

This!

Intoxication depends on many factors not only about how many drinks one had but how much they ate, how tired they are and how fast they drink.

One can have same amount as usually but if on empty stomach or drinking real fast the effects are way different. I once got really really drunk without drinking a lot actually but because i didn’t eat well while doing so and decided to play drinking game. Seeing me one would think god knows how much i drank but i didn’t it was the other factors at play at that time. Luckily for my friends who dragged me out of the bar and brought me home.
The group could have pregamed at the hotel or somewhere else before heading to this particular bar. If he was drinking on an empty stomach or drank a lot in a short period of time it could have hit him hard at this bar.
It's very sad because it could be any of our kids. It could have been me when I was his age. Unfortunately it happens too often where people over consume and then wind up in trouble. If he was the victim of a crime such as a robbery then he would just be a drunk guy without a phone or wallet and would have been found. I'm worried he wound up in the water and I have no idea why or how.

Also, consider the ages of Stain and his friends. 21 is legal, they're just beyond that. In the early days of learning how much and how things work.
I’m almost 50 and was out last weekend. My dinner wasn’t good, so I didn’t eat much of it. Had a few drinks and went from fine to not fine very quickly. So he could have become drunk very quickly, especially if they did shots- as many young people do- or if they weren’t really eating as they bar hopped.

Remembering when Morgan Harrington wasn't allowed to reenter arena.

It's easy to get lost in a big city you're not familiar with and if you're intoxicated even worse. Curious if a drug was put in his drink while he wasn't aware of it? There are a few videos out there that show RS in distress and sad no one (it appears that way, * not confirmed) attempts to help him.

Certainly understand people not wanting to deal with someone in a mental health (call 911) crisis but that is not the case with RS. He was in trouble and needed to be saved. So sad.

Edited * from no to not

Last edited:
This makes me think of Brendan Santos and a few others. Alcohol and large bodies of water do not go together. Probably stopped to use the restroom and fell in. How cold is the water in that area this time of year?

Remembering when Morgan Harrington wasn't allowed to reenter arena.

It's easy to get lost in a big city you're not familiar with and if you're intoxicated even worse. Curious if a drug was put in his drink while he wasn't aware of it? There are a few videos out there that show RS in distress and sad no one (it appears that way, no confirmed) attempts to help him.

Certainly understand people not wanting to deal with someone in a mental health crisis but that is not the case with RS. He was in trouble and needed to be saved. So sad.
It's so hard sometimes when we know that the monsters live between us.

I think one reason is that they're being accused of over serving, not allowing him to leave with his friends, and there have been claims that he may have been roofied there (I find this to be the most dubious). There's some very vocal people on social media, and I think this is a way to mitigate some of the criticism.

This particular place is a major part of the sequence of events here, and with the name recognition, people just expect them to say and do something.
I don't see him being roofied either. He wouldn't be wandering around at a fast clip if he was. Being in a group of 200 people basically anonymizes you, you get lost in the swell. No one is really looking out for one another. It happens time and time again. "oh, I thought she went home early".

And about the criticism on social media. For some, there always has to be someone to blame. Personal responsibility is never part of the equation. There used to be this public service announcement in Ontario about drinking and driving. The tag line was "You are your own Liquor Control Board". The reference was that alcohol sales in Ontario were controlled by a government entity. That responsibility was handed down to you.

I feel for his parents and the unknowing; he looks so lost and vulnerable in those video clips. And they know where all this is going to lead. It is heartbreaking.

because the person is still missing. If in an automobile crash, the people are recovered, there is just accident reconstruction. If the person drives away and is missing, the police will work with the car company for any satellite tracking or other location information. These car companies will always put out that they are cooperating with authorities on providing them information. The bar will say they are cooperating with the police and providing them withe video or interviews etc
True but the inference here is that the bar is responding to the suggestion they are somehow responsible for Riley's disappearance whereas the car manufacturers are allowing LE to access the vehicle information without any whiff of responsibility. I make that claim because many comments made by the public suggest the onus falls on the bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mary0309