Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnipped discusses removed posts>

There is so much info ( I'm actually shocked as to what I'm reading and what has been shared), I have not been able to catch completely up yet so I'm doing my best to zip it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't understand how he could adopt (as someone above mentioned).
Did the news get the CORRECT RP's priors?! One more bizarre thing.
What year did he adopt SP? What were the years for the rape and the domestic assault charges? I can't imagine a judge would allow him to adopt with these things on his record.

What year did he adopt SP? What were the years for the rape and the domestic assault charges? I can't imagine a judge would allow him to adopt with these things onhis record.

Well with a record going back to 2001, it seems he was able to adopt her anyway. I agree..why would he be able to do so?

He married her mom in 2007 and with SP being only 14 now, she would have been around 2 at that time. I don't recall the actual year he did adopt her, or even why. Or, for that matter, anything about biological father. He would have had to agree to adoption, I believe. Did he pass away? JMO

Felon in possession of a handgun, though that charge was dismissed. So he was a convicted felon. Is domestic assault a felony there? The only other charge on the list that could be is rape. If he pled to a sex felony how is he not registered? Unless maybe he was for ten years and isn't now?

Definitely. I'm sure that's exactly what she was told constantly.

There is no way he should have been allowed to adopt. Maybe he slipped through the cracks if they were married at the time? He also appears to be very convincing. Maybe background checks only go back 10 years and they were earlier?

He would not have to agree to the adoption in every state. In many states you just need to show the court's three things:

1. You're remarried.
2. The new spouse has agreed to become your child's parent.
3. The actual parent has abandoned the child by refusing to support or contact.

A couple other things RE: adoption. (Both our kids are adopted, have been through the process in 2 states & internationally). Gitana is correct in it varies state to state. Another thing, when the social worker does their homestudy (investigation) there are forms for the adoptive parent candidate to complete. Questions include previous felonies and previous addresses. RP could have easily lied on his paperwork and not included addresses in a county where he had a record. Then, with it being a step-parent adoption, the social worker may have just looked at it as a technicality. MOO

They moved from Georgia to NC correct? It appears that RP lived there at sometime before. Not much info but this looks like his felony record Search Results - Tennessee Felony Offender Information

You need to search for him yourself. Yes a felony which his sentence ended on in 2006.

Interesting. No real info, but “supervision status” is “Inactive - No longer under state supervision”.

for some reason that link is no longer available. HMMM

You just have to search for him. It's still there.

“Felony Offender Information

Search Results

You searched for: Randall Pruitt
Race WHITE
Showing results: 1 - 1 of 1 results found

PRUITT, RANDALL LEE II
TOMIS ID: 00362435
Birth Date: 02/25/1977
Race: W
Sex: M

Supervision Status: INACTIVE
Sentence End: 09/05/2006”

A couple other things RE: adoption. (Both our kids are adopted, have been through the process in 2 states & internationally). Gitana is correct in it varies state to state. Another thing, when the social worker does their homestudy (investigation) there are forms for the adoptive parent candidate to complete. Questions include previous felonies and previous addresses. RP could have easily lied on his paperwork and not included addresses in a county where he had a record. Then, with it being a step-parent adoption, the social worker may have just looked at it as a technicality. MOO

This might be an understatement, but IMO someone dropped the ball bigly on this! Unless being a convicted FELON is not thoroughly vetted when they are looking at the answers (lies?) on those forms? Sounds like an investigation will be needed on that also! imo jmo mho as always :)

What year did he adopt SP? What were the years for the rape and the domestic assault charges? I can't imagine a judge would allow him to adopt with these things on his record.
Hmmm, someone above listed the charges. All I can remember is his first offense was in 2001. He was done with his sentence in 2006. And married in 2007. Not sure if there were charges after the marriage in 2007. If not, I suppose it's possible she wasn't aware of them.
I tried the site that someone posted above to get his record, but couldn't load it. I need to try it again by googling.

This might be an understatement, but IMO someone dropped the ball bigly on this! Unless being a convicted FELON is not thoroughly vetted when they are looking at the answers (lies?) on those forms? Sounds like an investigation will be needed on that also! imo jmo mho as always :)

It would just depend on state law of where the adoption occurred. Does the state require fingerprint checks? How far back, how many previous address is the social worker required to check? Does the state even require a homestudy for step-parent adoption? Just a lot of questions we don’t have the answer...

“The search warrant indicates they found explicit video and photos of Randall Pruitt having sexual intercourse with his adoptive daughter in her bedroom.”
Has anyone seen the search warrant? Please tell me this lingo is not in there... Stomach churning.
According to WBIR, they were "very careful to use the wording EXACTLY as it appears in the arrest affidavit" (their caps). And that wording sounds even more appalling, in this video:

Investigators found photos and video of alleged rape taken on missing teen's phone

From the last thread, I wanted to note that this observation from @PommyMommy was quite brilliant:

Quote by pommymommy:

“To be fair, when I looked at how some of the questions were phrased by reporters, some of the past-tense usage is understandable. Here's an example.

"was" instead of "is"

REPORTER: Was she in an equestrian group or a riding group?
MOTHER: No, she was just learning how to tack.

They even had the detective using past tense, but nobody paid attention to that, lol! :p

"had" instead of "has" and "was" instead of "is"

REPORTER: She had two phones?
FILLYAW: Yes. One was a phone from where she, from where they moved from and the other phone was a new phone that they had got when they got here.”

Last edited:
The link below is the first law firm that showed up on my Google search for step parent adoption laws in Tennessee, (assuming this is where the adoption occurred.) Looks like TN would have waived the homestudy (investigation).

“Two major differences between a step parent adoption and other forms of adoption are the waiver of the statutory waiting period and home study. By law, all adoptions are subject to a 6 month waiting period from the time they are filed until they can be made final by the judge. A home study is also required of the party wishing to adopt. Since a step parent adoption is considered a relative adoption, judges can, and generally do, waive the waiting period and home study upon request of the party wishing to adopt. The reason for this waiver is because the child is assumed to have spent considerable time in the home of the step parent and to have developed a parent-child relationship with the step parent during that time.”

Step Parent Adoption in Tennessee | Fidelis Law, PLLC | Brentwood, Tennessee

Seeing the list of chores written in SP’s own writing was such a reminder of her youth and innocence, her childlike writing, with the hearts..I agree and hope her time with the horses and other animals provided her some comfort during the awful times.

Wishing her all the healing and happiness in the world.

Thanks everyone for all the great posts.

Last edited:
I am not sure if this has already come up as the thread is moving fast and i am having trouble keeping up..... but do we know if he adopted all the kids or just SP? Are the other kids his or step kids? The fact that SP was being homeschooled and the others weren't indicates that it may have been just SP that was targeted and designed to have her away from others and friends.

SP only stayed in the home 17 days, before she left!
"According to her adoptive father, the family had just moved back to the area on Dec. 27."
Sheriff: Missing teen found safe in Wisconsin, adoptive father arrested
It does not sound like she will be returning home to mom just yet.
"The Monroe County Sheriff's Office says the next step is figuring out how they will bring SP back to Madisonville, and who she'll stay with once she returns.
Affidavit: Tennessee teen recorded adoptive father's sexual assault
ETA: When did her district go back to school?
Jan 7th?
So she stayed home 1 WEEK (homeschooled) without her siblings in the house with her?
Moo

In hindsight it seems mention of Diana Alvarez was not dissimilar as far as sexual abuse occurring in the home.

How far might he have gone to protect his secret?

What if he would have discovered her recording?

Last edited:
I am not sure if this has already come up as the thread is moving fast and i am having trouble keeping up..... but do we know if he adopted all the kids or just SP? Are the other kids his or step kids? The fact that SP was being homeschooled and the others weren't indicates that it may have been just SP that was targeted and designed to have her away from others and friends.

The two oldest were adopted by him and the two youngest were biologically his.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serge