Found Safe TN - SLP, 14, Madisonville, Monroe County, 13 Jan 2019 #4 *ARRESTS*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a self-imposed time out. It's tough in here when one doesn't hold the popular opinion.

I'm wondering what others would think if BDR was female (or gay). Would "she" be condemned with no evidence of a SA the same way BDR is?
<edit - spelling>

If he hadn't convinced her to get the video, she'd still be in that house. Even if she got out, she'd have likely been returned.

Like it or not without his involvement she'd still be getting raped. It would have been her fathers word against hers.

I will wait to see what S says about the guy. I can see all of the things people say make him a predator, as just meaning they were terrified and a little stupid. I can also see them being convinced that this was the only safe choice.

If the dude raped her I will condemn him too. I'm just only seeing the charge for the video, which occurred before S was even interviewed. Things can and do change after the victim tells her story.

So I'm waiting for S to have her voice. It's about time she got one.
BBM
That is your opinion as you're entitled to, but that does not make it fact. How do you know if she'd gone to LE directly, a local hospital or nurse, a teacher, or another adult family member or friend and told on her 'father' that nothing would have happened and she'd still be getting raped???

BR could have suggested she go immediately to one of those people and then followed up by calling LE and CPS himself. He never needed 'proof' of a rape in order to help her. He would have never had to leave his mother's home in order to truly help her. He exploited and coerced her for his own sick and twisted pleasure IMO and now he's behind bars where I hope he stays for a long while.

I took a self-imposed time out. It's tough in here when one doesn't hold the popular opinion.

I'm wondering what others would think if BDR was female (or gay). Would "she" be condemned with no evidence of a SA the same way BDR is?
<edit - spelling>
Yes, absolutely if she coerced SP to video a rape, and took the same actions as BR, yes.

I’m one of those intelligent people who sometimes doesn’t have a lot of common sense. I can see the video as proof positive for him to risk his neck coming to get her. And the video helped get RP away from her, the family and the public. I would’ve asked her to send it to the police, but.... The place I get hung up on is that he kept her there day after day after day, having the video. I can’t fathom why he didn’t contact LE...although, he knew he’d be busted for taking her to start with. I don’t know. I keep throwing ideas out there. It’s just my personal opinion only. I think there’s not going to be any resolution until we hear the facts from LE since they have SP’s statements. Again, this is all JMO only. I know others will think differently, and that’s fine.
There is also taking SP across state lines. I'm surprised he wasn't charged with telling the FBI she wasn't with him and didn't meet her. How could BR not understand that the authorities would gain access to her digital accounts?

If he hadn't convinced her to get the video, she'd still be in that house. Even if she got out, she'd have likely been returned.

Like it or not without his involvement she'd still be getting raped. It would have been her fathers word against hers.

I will wait to see what S says about the guy. I can see all of the things people say make him a predator, as just meaning they were terrified and a little stupid. I can also see them being convinced that this was the only safe choice.

If the dude raped her I will condemn him too. I'm just only seeing the charge for the video, which occurred before S was even interviewed. Things can and do change after the victim tells her story.

So I'm waiting for S to have her voice. It's about time she got one.
I agree with you. It's the pink elephant in the room: Rape and sexual assault victims are never believed. "Where is your proof"? "Its her word against his". "Maybe you gave the wrong signals". "Were there any witnesses"? EVERY SINGLE DAY. Well, like it or not, this girl has proof. Her rapist is in jail, and will be convicted. BR was an idiot who had no clue what he was getting into, had no idea how to help her, and once she sent that video, he had to have known he was in deep s**t. Like you, and a few others here in the minority, I will wait to condemn him based on what SP herself has to say. MOO.

But, would people be accusing "her" of SA? Or being a pervert?

Requesting a video of rape as a condition of illegally transporting a minor across state lines is predatory and morally reprehensible regardless of gender.

Calling the police or CPS to try to prevent further abuse was the right thing to do. It’s not complicated. BDR is not a victim.

BBM
That is your opinion as you're entitled to, but that does not make it fact. How do you know if she'd gone to LE directly, a local hospital or nurse, a teacher, or another adult family member or friend and told on her 'father' that nothing would have happened and she'd still be getting raped???

BR could have suggested she go immediately to one of those people and then followed up by calling LE and CPS himself. He never needed 'proof' of a rape in order to help her. He would have never had to leave his mother's home in order to truly help her. He exploited and coerced her for his own sick and twisted pleasure IMO and now he's behind bars where I hope he stays for a long while.
I sure wish it were that easy. A million women would tell you it doesnt quite work that way. MOO.

There is also taking SP across state lines. I'm surprised he wasn't charged with telling the FBI she wasn't with him and didn't meet her. How could BR not understand that the authorities would gain access to her digital accounts?
Federal charges are pending against BR.

ETA: Direct quote from linked article

If convicted, Rogers faces a mandatory minimum penalty of 15 years and a maximum of 30 years in federal prison, according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney’s office.

During his initial appearance, Assistant U.S. Attorney Julie Pflugen said she’s considering adding an additional charge to Rogers’ case related to illegally taking the child across state lines.

Last edited:
Requesting a video of rape as a condition of illegally transporting a minor across state lines is predatory and morally reprehensible regardless of gender.

Calling the police or CPS to try to prevent further abuse was the right thing to do. It’s not complicated. BDR is not a victim.
Whoa! I haven't seen anyone state that BDR is a victim. He screwed up BIG time. So far (with what we know as FACT), he is charged correctly (a federal charge) and he will be punished accordingly. It remains to be seen if there will be other charges. If he raped her, that would be a state charge. No state charges.....yet.

And, it is complicated.....VERY complicated.

I would agree somewhat with that, but you're talking about a minor child not a consenting age adult here. JMO
Then i will amend my statement. Millions of children who are victims of sexual assault would tell you it doesn't quite work that way.
Hopefully we are getting better at believing victims. Maybe one day it will be a priority to process rape kits. But I just don't think SP was willing to take that chance. She was heartbreakingly desperate, enough that she put her trust in someone who actually told her to be raped again. For some horrific reason, she thought this was the only way, her only hope. We need to do a much better job advocating for and believing victims, especially children, so they don't have to reach out to complete strangers on the internet. MOO.

Then i will amend my statement. Millions of children who are victims of sexual assault would tell you it doesn't quite work that way.
Hopefully we are getting better at believing victims. Maybe one day it will be a priority to process rape kits. But I just don't think SP was willing to take that chance. She was heartbreakingly desperate, enough that she put her trust in someone who actually told her to be raped again. For some horrific reason, she thought this was the only way, her only hope. We need to do a much better job advocating for and believing victims, especially children, so they don't have to reach out to complete strangers on the internet. MOO.
BBM I couldn't agree more to all of your post GG, especially to the BBM part, look at the Hania Aguilar's case. Had her perps rape kit been processed she would very likely be alive today. We need to do better for all of the SA victims in this world.

<edit - spelling>

I ABSOLUTELY think s(he) is a pervert if s(he) had a teenager video herself being raped, and then did nothing to get LE involved. I don't care what their gender is. He had a chance to get this girl help and instead, he lied to LE and kept a copy of an underage girl being abused sexually.

From what I have read, no one is accusing him of sexual assault. We are saying what he did was not the actions of a good Samaritan. What he did was morally wrong and a crime (on many levels) and not the actions that a level headed, rational, normal adult would take.

Last edited:
Great information contained here. I didn't read every single word of every single link, but did skim them. I did read GA very carefully, though, and from what I read it is exactly how I remember the guidelines we went by in the state I taught in many years ago. The mandated reporter is required to make the report to the person in charge of the facility in which the child is being schooled or cared for. The person with whom that report is filed, however, MAY go on to pass that report or NOT. I only brought this up today so as to help clear up this fact. Just because authorities were not reported to, does not mean that a teacher did not report suspicions of abuse. A teacher may have but it may have stopped on someone else's desk.

The situation I found myself in would have ended on my superior's desk just like that. In fact, I was told that if I "wanted to make myself feel better" to go ahead and write the report. He told me point blank that he would file it in "the circular file". This situation was a family with a prior abuse citation on a different child and we are talking about visible physical abuse in both cases. So, I wrote that report (in the days where email did not exist yet) and put that report on his desk with a big yellow post it that said "The original copy of this report has been sent to your superior."

My purpose with posting this is to clarify that being a mandated reporter may not always be what most people perceive it to be.

RBBM

Wow, good job!

<edit - spelling>
But, would people be accusing "her" of SA? Or being a pervert?
What part of this is complicated?

Let's remove SA and pervert allegations until charged.

A 31 year old adult person abducted a sexually abused, suicidal, child, and drove her more than 700 miles before hiding her in the adult persons home-- for two weeks!

The adult person also hid this vulnerable child from persons mother, and also authorities.

Adult person never put the child's welfare and well being above their own.

And OP wants to make this about gender? I don't get it...

I ABSOLUTELY think s(he) is a pervert if s(he) had a teenager video herself being raped, and then did nothing to get LE involved. I don't care what their gender is. He had a chance to get this girl help and instead, he lied to LE and kept a copy of an underage girl being abused sexually.

From what I have read, no one is accusing him of sexual assault. We are saying what he did was not the actions of a good Samaritan. What he did was morally wrong and a crime (on many levels) and not the actions that a level headed, rational, normal adult would take.
And, therein lies the crux (the bolded). He is NOT, by any standards, a "level headed, rational, normal adult". But maybe, just maybe, that's all there is to it. I'm still holding out hope that SP was not abused by BDR once she escaped her "home".

I agree with you. It's the pink elephant in the room: Rape and sexual assault victims are never believed. "Where is your proof"? "Its her word against his". "Maybe you gave the wrong signals". "Were there any witnesses"? EVERY SINGLE DAY. Well, like it or not, this girl has proof. Her rapist is in jail, and will be convicted. BR was an idiot who had no clue what he was getting into, had no idea how to help her, and once she sent that video, he had to have known he was in deep s**t. Like you, and a few others here in the minority, I will wait to condemn him based on what SP herself has to say. MOO.

I hope he was just a lonely idiot. I just don't want to think she was further abused. I hope it was her wish, pleading with him not to call LE.

I could see a situation where she wanted to wait a few days to get her head right and then the news hit...and then they were both afraid to call LE. Her because she didn't want to be returned home and him because he realized his misguided decisions.

Maybe that's wishful thinking but the alternative is just horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow