TN TN - SLP, 14, Madisonville, Monroe County, 13 Jan 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's difficult to answer: Earlier today, Newsweek reported that Monroe County Sheriff's Detective Jason Fillyaw said that the sheriff's office, FBI, and the TBI combed through a report spanning more than 2,000 pages about Savannah’s cell phone and social media activity, and after reviewing the report, Fillyaw said there was nothing that indicated she ran away or was speaking with someone who would try to abduct her.

But here's the rub: Fillyaw also said in the same breath that the case is being investigated as a missing juvenile, BUT an abduction case or the 14 year old being a runaway haven't been ruled out.

Huh? So which is it -- did you really see nothing in 2,000 pages, or why are you reluctant to rule out runaway or abduction?

Fast forward to this afternoon, and ABC News reported that SP was last seen heading to bed between 11 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. by her mother, that there were no red flags, and that she was in good spirits-- but that her two cell phones pinged in Corbin, KY --almost 140 miles away --between 5:15 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. the next day, and/or about the same time her younger sister discovered that SP was missing!

Do authorities believe that SP was with her phones (that have reportedly been turned off since the ping) when they crossed to Kentucky? How did SP get to KY? Wouldn't she have had to leave home within an hour or two since last seen by her parents?

And we also learned for the first time that SP's window was found open, and some of her clothes and her bed sheets were missing, according to authorities.....

"Right now we're still treating this as a missing-persons investigation. All the leads that we've searched for at this point have kind of hit dead ends," Fillyaw said. "We’re seeking, you know, any tips or information from the public at this time."

I don't know, but I believe LE would best be served if they'd be more clear, and transparent with the public. The public will help, but one searches differently for a teen missing on their own versus one taken by force.

At this point, I'm really hoping that SP ran away, and that she's safe with somebody she knows. MOO

FBI searching for missing 14-year-old who was last seen by parents going to bed
Missing teen's cellphones pinged nearly 140 miles from Tennessee home: Police
Thanks for all that. This is very complicated. I think I need to give up for the night and start fresh tomorrow. It's very distressing.
I really hope she is found safe.

For me, the real weird part of all this is that the facts seem to indicate 2-3 different scenarios.

Just some thoughts about a few things.

The window: That reminds me a lot of the Elizabeth Smart case. Wasn't her screen slit? I have a hunch we're going to find out Savannah's was slit, too. That leans toward The cabduction. If you're on the inside, you just slide it up. But this house has wood floors. You'd think you might make a lot of racket coming into a window and walking on wood floors late at night. Elizabeth Smart lived in a giant house. But this is a relatively small home.

The clothing: No abductor is going to take the time to grab two cell phones and clothing. After all, an abductor inside of a house in the countryside has giant cajones. That's the kind of bold act that can end with shotgun lead in your chest. So the missing clothing causes me to lean toward runaway.

The sheets: This reminds me of the Celina Cass case. Her stepfather was arrested for murder. Prosecutors claimed that he had wrapped her in sheets or blankets and then wrapped her in a rug and dumped her body in a nearby river. Such a tragedy. He's now in a state prison psychiatric unit. I always assumed that Celina was killed by strangulation or asphyxia while she was sleeping. I am hopeful that Savannah's situation doesn't turn out like Celina's. But, if this were to be the outcome, the only reason to take her clothing would be to stage the scene to look like a runaway situation.

The phones: I've followed umpteen cases. Most times, phones are dumped right away. Someone hung onto these phones for more than an hour. Even stupid abductors would know better. It seems like someone left a trail on purpose. Why leave a trail like this?

I could see someone up in the mountains coming down on an ATV late at night to abduct a girl. But why bring phones?

I can see a girl getting upset with mom and dad. But going out the window when there are two different doors plus a garage door to use for an exit?

Just throwing some other possibilities out there.

<modsnipped information is from social media>

The clothing & sheets: I wonder if the missing clothing could be a red herring. Say something happened and Savannah died in her home. She is wrapped up in the sheets, and whoever grabs some of her clothing to make it look like she ran away. Which, if this is what 'they' did, then it's working because LE doesn't seem to know if she ran away.

The phones: I think someone wanted these phones - clues - found, while they are in a completely different direction. I *do* wonder why LE has not asked for the public to be on the lookout for the phones. No description of what they look like. SO - why isn't LE interested in finding those phones?

MOO - I do not think Savannah was abducted or ran away. I think 'something' happened in her home, and she was deceased when she left the home. I think its entirely possible the missing clothes was staged. I think Savannah's family will know the person who did this. This is someone they have dealt with in the past. I don't think this was random, at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at her FB accounts. Maybe she was just looking for a fresh start on FB? I went and compared her friends' lists on both accounts. Her new FB has 35 friends she did not carry over from the old FB and 6 friends that were not on her original account. Her new FB only has 28 friends.

Not sure what to make of the information; but found it interesting and maybe it will spur an idea with someone else.

Savannah Pruitt

Savannah Pruitt

Thank you, this was exactly one of the comparisons I was hoping for.

This is Savannah's house ... don't think she walked out of there
Google Maps

ETA: The sale of this house is recorded as 12/19/2018.

Press release details sinking in...

Last seen 11PM.

Noticed missing btwn 4-4:30AM the next morning, 5-5 &1/2 hrs later.

Last cell ping near Corbin, KY at 5:30AM.

Google maps distance & driving time between Madisonville, TN & Corbin is 138.8 miles or 2 hours & 15 minutes. Plus a few more miles/ minutes from her home SE of Madisonville.

So... Savannah sneaks out/ is taken (or phone relocated) no later than 3AM?

That's one brave girl if she walked out alone onto such a remote road in the middle of the night. Even the surrounding woods gives me the heebie jeebies!

I wonder if the family reported hearing a car? There's no other way she'd get so far in that time frame. Unless her phone went to Kentucky without her. I guess we won't know for a while since LE is being so tight-lipped.

If LE says they don't believe she ran away or was abducted by someone she was "speaking to" then IMO that leaves a stranger abduction - which would indeed put her in direct danger. So what's LE trying to say? <scratches head>
"There has been nothing in any of that reporting that led us to believe that she intended to run away or was speaking with anybody that would try to abduct her," Fillyaw said. Savannah's case has not been upgraded to an endangered child's case because they do not have any information "as far as her being in any direct danger."
Parents of missing teen: "Please help us find our baby"

Frustrating.

That's one brave girl if she walked out alone onto such a remote road in the middle of the night. Even the surrounding woods gives me the heebie jeebies!

I wonder if the family reported hearing a car? There's no other way she'd get so far in that time frame. Unless her phone went to Kentucky without her. I guess we won't know for a while since LE is being so tight-lipped.

If LE says they don't believe she ran away or was abducted by someone she was "speaking to" then IMO that leaves a stranger abduction - which would indeed put her in direct danger. So what's LE trying to say? <scratches head>

Parents of missing teen: "Please help us find our baby"

Frustrating.

Sounds like they don't think it's stranger abduction either. It's cryptic. Coupled with the missing sheets and past tense talk it sounds bad.

But they seem like a loving family and it could be a runaway. Do they have all her phone data?

Also, her Facebook accounts have disappeared.

For me, the real weird part of all this is that the facts seem to indicate 2-3 different scenarios.

Just some thoughts about a few things.

The window: That reminds me a lot of the Elizabeth Smart case. <modsnipped> That leans toward abduction. If you're on the inside, you just slide it up. But this house has wood floors. You'd think you might make a lot of racket coming into a window and walking on wood floors late at night. Elizabeth Smart lived in a giant house. But this is a relatively small home.

The clothing: No abductor is going to take the time to grab two cell phones and clothing. After all, an abductor inside of a house in the countryside has giant cajones. That's the kind of bold act that can end with shotgun lead in your chest. So the missing clothing causes me to lean toward runaway.

The sheets: This reminds me of the Celina Cass case. Her stepfather was arrested for murder. Prosecutors claimed that he had wrapped her in sheets or blankets and then wrapped her in a rug and dumped her body in a nearby river. Such a tragedy. He's now in a state prison psychiatric unit. I always assumed that Celina was killed by strangulation or asphyxia while she was sleeping. I am hopeful that Savannah's situation doesn't turn out like Celina's. But, if this were to be the outcome, the only reason to take her clothing would be to stage the scene to look like a runaway situation.

The phones: I've followed umpteen cases. Most times, phones are dumped right away. Someone hung onto these phones for more than an hour. Even stupid abductors would know better. It seems like someone left a trail on purpose. Why leave a trail like this?

I could see someone up in the mountains coming down on an ATV late at night to abduct a girl. But why bring phones?

I can see a girl getting upset with mom and dad. But going out the window when there are two different doors plus a garage door to use for an exit?

Very good analysis. This is confusing.

Last edited by a moderator:
From that article:

Her younger sister discovered Savannah, the oldest of four siblings, missing Jan. 14 around 5 a.m., Christina Pruitt said.

The teen's window was also found open and some of her clothes and her bed sheets were missing, according to authorities.

Missing Tennessee teen's cellphones pinged nearly 140 miles from home in another state: Police

The sheets missing is new information, at least for me.

For me, too. And I find it really strange. Who thinks to pack bed sheets?

I'm not sure which quote is being discussed but here's what Heavy says is on her fb:

"Savannah’s first Facebook page continues almost nothing publicly viewable, except two photos, including a profile picture with a heart around it. It says she lives in Madisonville, Tennessee.

A second page with the same profile picture and name contains this profile blurb: “I’m the daughter of two amazing and loving parents who teach me right from wrong daily luv u guys” The cover photo on one of the two pages is a cross.

Other photos on her page say things like “family is everything.” One graphic she shared discusses reading books. She also shared selfies. “You look like the sweet little girl you are. Pretty,” wrote one friend on one of them."

Savannah Pruitt: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

It doesn't sound like anything odd to me. Seems like a kid who is probably friends with her family on facebook. Also seems like a girl who is not a troubled teen and not into any kind of drama on her public social media accounts. MOO.

I'm struck by how different she can look in various photos. With makesup she's a different girl.

I could see someone using one sheet to quickly toss some clothes in and then boom -out the window, but it says "sheets" (plural). What the heck?
MOO

What a bizarre case. Possible scenarios: she packed the sheets with other items, she was physically moved by someone using the sheets, someone staged the scene, there really are no sheets missing at all?? All just random thoughts and MOO.

I know, PommyMommy... there has been something odd, as many have noted, since the start.

Little sister finds her missing, the sheets gone, and the window open. Then from the presser there is no evidence she ran away or was abducted. This is a mess!

Adding to the mystery, is that both cell phones are gone. I think that's an important detail. Someone had to know about both, unless she slept with them so close by and it was extremely obvious. The details are really bizarre.

If the FBI was called in earlier than they normally would come on a case they probably found something or know more than what’s disclosed to the public. Perhaps stating too many details may jeopardize the casee.

There’s a reason they’re leaving a lot of information out.

Last edited:
If she was abducted right out of her bedroom, how would the perp know which room was hers, when she went to bed or that she didn't share a room. Is he someone who has been in the house and knows the layout? Even if he was, how would he know which one was hers and then enter the correct one.

I'm not drawing any conclusions about how SP came to be missing. All that matters is that she is found. To me, the open window has the feel of being staged a bit. It's January, and in that part of TN, temps get cold at night. An open window could draw attention quickly. I'm not sure if an abductor would be that careless. But then again, anything is possible. I just hope she's found quickly and that she's safe.

Sounds like they don't think it's stranger abduction either. It's cryptic. Coupled with the missing sheets and past tense talk it sounds bad.

But they seem like a loving family and it could be a runaway. Do they have all her phone data?

Also, her Facebook accounts have disappeared.

Not sure if you experienced a 'glitch', as both SLP's FB accounts are still viewable from my vantage point. Just another strange oddity in this 'Missing" case.

I didn't hear anything about a cell phone just for Facebook. This is what I heard:

REPORTER: She had two phones?
FILLYAW: Yes. One was a phone from where she, from where they moved from and the other phone was a new phone that they had got when they got here.
Having two phones could be due to transferring of info. If she recently got a new phone, not all text messages transfer over. Or maybe she hadn't transferred photos and contacts over from old to new phone. That could be why they were both active at the time.

It would be helpful to know if there were two different phone numbers for the two phones. I have a small tablet that also has cellular service if I enable it and has a different number than my phone. One is Samsung and the other is Apple.

And her two Facebook accounts are similar...same profile photo but different cover photo. New one has limited number of photos though and yet is still mostly open for others to see. Not finding much other differences between them. Curious though...new home, new phone, new Facebook page. And she took both phones with her.

JMO

Last edited:
Adding to the mystery, is that both cell phones are gone. I think that's an important detail. Someone had to know about both, unless she slept with them so close by and it was extremely obvious. The details are really bizarre.

Excellent observation about the phones! I couldn’t agree more that they are a meaningful clue.

I assume that most of the evidence police have was taken from her bedroom/home or from her phone. It is likely some of that evidence which they are not disclosing. And the FBI might be testing some of that evidence. So that might explain why we are seeing this lull right now. We may be waiting a few weeks before anything happens in this case.

I'm not drawing any conclusions about how SP came to be missing. All that matters is that she is found. To me, the open window has the feel of being staged a bit. It's January, and in that part of TN, temps get cold at night. An open window could draw attention quickly. I'm not sure if an abductor would be that careless. But then again, anything is possible. I just hope she's found quickly and that she's safe.
Unless the window is too far off the ground for the person who went out to reach up and close it after going out. . That's all I can think of...otherwise I agree, sounds staged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anonymoose