AMBER ALERT TN - Summer Moon-Utah Wells, 5, Rogersville, 15 Jun 2021 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would never take one. Either way it’s not going to benefit me.

It could benefit your missing child, however.

Polygraphs are an interrogation tool. IMO, any loving parent would immediately take one upon request, if they had nothing to do with their child's disappearance. Parents who love their children and find their child goes missing are desperate to do absolutely anything to help find their baby.

I would walk through fire, give up a limb and even risk being charged for something I didn't do, if it meant the merest chance of finding my child.

(Note that guilty people often agree to take them as well because they believe they can fool the machine. So I don't consider taking one to be indicative of much, in these cases. I only consider not taking one, when your loved one is missing, to be a huge red flag).

Honestly, my gut says that LE may question whether or not the timeline of that night is close to being accurate. With the inconsistencies (if what we hear is accurate) they might have reason to suspect the events took place either differently or earlier. They are obviously suspicious.

my own opinion only

Yes but would they let her leave? They'd say, okay ma'am you passed with flying colors! And walk her out the door? If she was actually showing signs of deception?

They're not allowed to keep her against her will. (This isn't Russia). Just showing signs of deception in a polygraph is not evidence that could establish probable cause for an arrest. It's just an interrogation tool.

It could benefit your missing child, however.

Polygraphs are an interrogation tool. IMO, any loving parent would immediately take one upon request, if they had nothing to do with their child's disappearance. Parents who love their children and find their child goes missing are desperate to do absolutely anything to help find their baby.

I would walk through fire, give up a limb and even risk being charged for something I didn't do, if it meant the merest chance of finding my child.

(Note that guilty people often agree to take them as well because they believe they can fool the machine. So I don't consider taking one to be indicative of much, in these cases. I only consider not taking one, when your loved one is missing, to be a huge red flag).

What if you're innocent and you fail the polygraph? Then law enforcement is going to think that you're the one who caused The disappearance of the child and they would potentially stop exploring other avenues and laser focus on you.

Honestly, my gut says that LE may question whether or not the timeline of that night is close to being accurate. With the inconsistencies (if what we hear is accurate) they might have reason to suspect the events took place either differently or earlier. They are obviously suspicious.

my own opinion only
Yes, I wish we knew the timeline of that entire day, tbh.

jmo

If dad was at work and Mom and Grandma didn't see anything/anyone, how much help would they be in identifying who may have come onto their property that day?

I thought LE showing photos of possible suspects was only really useful if someone actually saw the person committing the crime and could identify them not by name but at least by a photo?
Read this and wondered too. There are several registered sex offenders living fairly close. I wonder if LE put together a photo lineup of them to see if the parents had seen one of them around in the days prior to Summer's disappearance.

They're not allowed to keep her against her will. (This isn't Russia). Just showing signs of deception in a polygraph is not evidence that could establish probable cause for an arrest. It's just an interrogation tool.

I shouldn't have used the word "let" and I am not talking about arresting her.

Again, IF she was given a polygraph test and IF she was deceptive in her answers, and IF what DW said was true, that she took the test and then left the DA's office to go to the command center because of a tip, THEN I was speculating (IMO!!!!) they might try to convince her to stay longer and answer questions because they would theoretically hypothetically believe she knew where Summer was. You know, IF.

Read this and wondered too. There are several registered sex offenders living fairly close. I wonder if LE put together a photo lineup of them to see if the parents had seen one of them around in the days prior to Summer's disappearance.

I wonder if they do this with all friends and acquaintances even if not within a certain radius. Do they look at social media friends?? I think I would want to figure out all RSOs that could be aware of Summer.

What if you're innocent and you fail the polygraph? Then law enforcement is going to think that you're the one who caused The disappearance of the child and they would potentially stop exploring other avenues and laser focus on you.

I have never heard of a case where that has happened.

Moreover, since these are interrogation tools, they don't use them really to detect through sensors whether you are involved or not, instead they use them to gauge your reaction to things and to make you stressed during an interrogation so you might slip up and reveal something. So without more, it is unlikely that a most LE agencies (especially not the TBI or FBI) would drop all other inquiries and focus on just you if you show deception in a LTD, without something much more substantial.

Finally, it wouldn't matter that I could risk the investigation turning toward me. We are talking about human behavior. How do desperate, innocent parents act? We are not talking about legal advice.

The reality is that a desperate parent would do anything and knowing they're innocent would not contemplate an investigation becoming derailed because of their participation in a LTD, because they would expect to "pass".

I would take a LTD just as I would talk to them as long as they want, about whatever they wanted. The only time I would stop, I believe, is if a ton of time passed, the initial few weeks of panic and horror subsided a bit and now it became clear that their only focus was wrongly on me. At that time, I would likely bring counsel with me to talk to them.

I don't know about that. When my brothers and I were kids we were outside all the time and barefoot. My brother once had thorns in his heels that he wasn't even aware of until my mom gave him a bath. We had thick, tough soles from being barefoot all the time.
If she was in the woods stepping on sticks and other debris her little feet could have been poked by a sharp stick and perhaps stung or bitten by insects. That combined with being scared could definitely cause her to cry. Tough soles don’t prevent pain from an injury.

Apologies in advance as I'm super tired. I may babble. :)

I was looking at an overhead of the property the other day. It looks like there might be a state highway (346?) not too far from their house, through the woods. Could Summer have gotten turned around and ended up there? Someone picked her up?

I shouldn't have used the word "let" and I am not talking about arresting her.

Again, IF she was given a polygraph test and IF she was deceptive in her answers, and IF what DW said was true, that she took the test and then left the DA's office to go to the command center because of a tip, THEN I was speculating (IMO!!!!) they might try to convince her to stay longer and answer questions because they would theoretically hypothetically believe she knew where Summer was. You know, IF.

I see. So you mean why wouldn't they have tried to question her more? Yeah, I agree with that.

If she showed signs of deception they would likely try to use that against her in further questioning. A great example of how LTD's are used as an interrogation tool would be the case of Chris Watts. It was so well done and formed such a basis for his later, partial confession.

Chris Watts Polygraph Lie Detector Test Part 1 - YouTube

If she was in the woods stepping on sticks and other debris her little feet could have been poked by a sharp stick and perhaps stung or bitten by insects. That combined with being scared could definitely cause her to cry. Tough soles don’t prevent pain from an injury.

They can prevent an injury, though. I know it's gross but my brother's soles were so hard he would not have felt a bee sting. Summer is a country kid. I'd bet her feet are pretty tough.

I see. So you mean why wouldn't they have tried to question her more? Yeah, I agree with that.

If she showed signs of deception they would likely try to use that against her in further questioning. A great example of how LTD's are used as an interrogation tool would be the case of Chris Watts. It was so well done and formed such a basis for his later, partial confession.

Chris Watts Polygraph Lie Detector Test Part 1 - YouTube

Yes exactly. Whew I was starting to think I was taking crazy pills.

I wonder if they do this with all friends and acquaintances even if not within a certain radius. Do they look at social media friends?? I think I would want to figure out all RSOs that could be aware of Summer.
I wonder if the CARD team might be going through home computers, phones, etc. to be sure people the family has been in contact is is who they say they are. Computers allow people to give wrong descriptions and put up handsome, sexy photos to entice.

I suspect part of the investigation is online and people they Wells family has communicated with.

I feel if I’m innocent and they think I’m guilty passing a polygraph isn’t going to change their mind and if I fail they will focus on me instead of looking at other leads.

Again, it's really just an interrogation tool. It's not used on its own to determine if someone is guilty or not. It just provides a basis for them to press certain things. To gauge reactions. To benefit from the public's belief that they work as "advertised".

I cannot recall a case where a parent who actually loved their child and was innocent, refused to take one. Desperation is high at a time like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member