AMBER ALERT TN - Summer Moon-Utah Wells, 5, Rogersville, 15 Jun 2021 #31

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought with all the cases I have been involved with in real life in LE, in SAR and online here at WS, I would be able to pick one scenario over the others, but I'm stumped. With the cold weather on the way, the green vegetation will die off and hunters (legal and illegal) will be out in the woods. If she did wander off, or was taken into the woods to be disposed of, the probability of her remains being located are much higher. I keep mulling over CW jumping in a vehicle to go look for SW in the hollow before LE arrived. My gut is nagging me about that and I can't put my finger on why.

Ditto, trackergd. The vegetation is definitely well on it's way, now of course there are leaves and a myriad of other plant decay piling up on the ground, but at least the density is lessened. I hate that Summer might have been barefoot and a K9 might have tracked her to the end of the driveway. If they had a decent scent article and the K9(s) and handlers were properly trained and she was alive and on foot...well, that concerns me as to her route of travel because that indicates to me a solid and direct trail. Depositing barefoot scent nonetheless. What happened at the end of the drive? I don't know that I trust the accuracy of that reporting, but if it IS accurate- very concerning that she was either picked up by vehicle there, or she traveled on foot quite a bit farther than thought and the scent was lost due to change in surface and working conditions. I don't know what to think at this point.
IMO - I feel TBI is getting frustrated with the “how” as it relates to social media. If you type #summerwells into the Twitter search bar, there is a significant observation that can be made. Many tweets with random speculation are tagging the official TBI twitter page. This is likely clogging up what TBI has to wade through not only for Summer’s case but other cases they are working. It takes manpower and can hinder efforts focused on other investigative needs. When you add that those tweets are then retweeted and retweeted tagging TBI I can see where this would become very frustrating, as protocol likely requires each one to be documented and looked into.

From a public perspective I believe this is being done to “put pressure” on LE and get a response such as it did yesterday. However IMO, pressuring and pushing for information is not going to make evidence magically appear if it isn’t there. If there is evidence in some way that points to an individual being involved, TBI may not feel it is solid enough at this time. Their goal is not only going to be an arrest, but a conviction by jury. IMO public wants answers and someone to finally be named to fill in the blank. LE wants that as well, but wants certainty it is enough to lead to a conviction.

Thank you, Tiff, for those very succinct thoughts. I didn't even think about the tagging to the TBI official site. I suppose many of those posters also may think they are helping Summer and her case by essentially linking to the TBI site (i.s.- 'THIS' is the official place to report tips, everyone!) and not realize they are simply taking up LE's valuable time.
I have been surprised by LE repeatedly revisiting the social media aspect of Summer's case- when it seems like often in past cases they just hit the 'ignore button' so to speak, themselves. It must have become extremely detrimental in Summer's case. :(

I guess what I find the most frustrating with these cases is that the evidence is right there on the ground for someone with the knowledge to read, however it is a skill set which most LE do not possess and in the initial rush to locate the missing individual, the evidence is stomped into oblivion. A missing person PLS should be treated in the same manner as a homicide scene. Sadly they are not.

Ditto, trackergd. The vegetation is definitely well on it's way, now of course there are leaves and a myriad of other plant decay piling up on the ground, but at least the density is lessened. I hate that Summer might have been barefoot and a K9 might have tracked her to the end of the driveway. If they had a decent scent article and the K9(s) and handlers were properly trained and she was alive and on foot...well, that concerns me as to her route of travel because that indicates to me a solid and direct trail. Depositing barefoot scent nonetheless. What happened at the end of the drive? I don't know that I trust the accuracy of that reporting, but if it IS accurate- very concerning that she was either picked up by vehicle there, or she traveled on foot quite a bit farther than thought and the scent was lost due to change in surface and working conditions. I don't know what to think at this point.

I have been on two cases where I was able to find prints, but the dogs did not pick up a scent. In another case, the dog and I leapfrogged, the dog followed the scent trail until she lost it, then I located tracks and the handler put the dog back on scent. In the Lauren Jackson case, I followed the track trail the night before Hosgood's bloodhound could get there, the bloodhound (imprinted with Laurens scent) followed the same track trail and extended (where I was unable to locate prints) it to the Vincent Motel.

https://www.findsummerwells.com/post/the-abduction-question

We are being told all the time from people and news media that Sheriff Lawson doesn't think it is an abduction. Then they try to watch us for a response. We fully support Sheriff Lawson and the TBI and everyone that is trying to find our Daughter Summer. We would like to post this quote from today from Sheriff Lawson about an abduction.

"Lawson said. “As much media attention, social media attention across America, one person would have seen that and made a call. But, we’re not ruling it out.”"

That is exactly our thought, we're not ruling it out.

Was it a planned abduction? We don't know and can't figure that out. Was it an accidental abduction? Very possible too.

5 months later: Hawkins Co. Sheriff says search for Summer Wells continues, but no signs point to abduction | WJHL | Tri-Cities News & Weather

The couple stands together in what they think happened to their only daughter.

“Me and Candus know for a fact that Summer was abducted. We know that.”

News Channel 11 asked Wells how he was certain Summer had been abducted.

“Well, the reason that I know is because I know my wife, and I know what kind of emotions and the heartbreak that she’s been going through and the way everything happened when she called me,” he said.

Hawkins County Sheriff Ronnie Lawson and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation say they have found no evidence Summer was abducted.

“Why is it our property is any different than any other property where kids are abducted? What makes them think that our property is ‘Oh, there’s no way an abduction can happen here,’ but everybody else is probable but not this property?” shared Don.

Don Wells addresses recent arrests in interview, maintains Summer was abducted | WJHL | Tri-Cities News & Weather

I thought with all the cases I have been involved with in real life in LE, in SAR and online here at WS, I would be able to pick one scenario over the others, but I'm stumped. With the cold weather on the way, the green vegetation will die off and hunters (legal and illegal) will be out in the woods. If she did wander off, or was taken into the woods to be disposed of, the probability of her remains being located are much higher. I keep mulling over CW jumping in a vehicle to go look for SW in the hollow before LE arrived. My gut is nagging me about that and I can't put my finger on why.

That hollow is filled with random stuff isn't it? Looks like a rattlesnake paradise. As a parent, my first thought in that terrain would be snake bite and I'd probably jump in the car and rush down there, too.

The couple stands together in what they think happened to their only daughter.

“Me and Candus know for a fact that Summer was abducted. We know that.”

News Channel 11 asked Wells how he was certain Summer had been abducted.

“Well, the reason that I know is because I know my wife, and I know what kind of emotions and the heartbreak that she’s been going through and the way everything happened when she called me,” he said.

Hawkins County Sheriff Ronnie Lawson and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation say they have found no evidence Summer was abducted.

“Why is it our property is any different than any other property where kids are abducted? What makes them think that our property is ‘Oh, there’s no way an abduction can happen here,’ but everybody else is probable but not this property?” shared Don.

Don Wells addresses recent arrests in interview, maintains Summer was abducted | WJHL | Tri-Cities News & Weather
I support Sheriff Ronnie Lawson when he says they have found no evidence Summer was abducted.

I disagree with the credibility of above Wells' statement: “Me and Candus know for a fact that Summer was abducted. We know that.”

The Tennesee Bureau of Investigation and Hawkins County Sheriff's Dept are more believable than The W's. in my opinion, of course.

I don't know what "evidence of an abduction" there is a lack of... I believe they did look into the abduction possibility, but i am not sure what evidence it would specifically leave behind.

Signs of a struggle? She's five. How much struggling could there be?

Dropped items? As far as we know, all she had was the clothes she was wearing (pink top, gray shorts). She didn't have shoes, we're told. If any toy is missing with her, we have not been told.

Footprints? These are easily lost or obscured. Or misattributed.

Witnesses? This is what I think they don't have. Any witnesses (this would include her brothers) that saw or heard anything at all.

Dog behavior? This includes the family's dogs as well as various dogs brought in as part of the search. This is what we mostly don't know about. We've heard about the one dog tracking down to the road, but that's all. This doesn't mean that is all that happened. Obviously, the dogs didn't find SW, but maybe there is something about the way they acted that is a clue to LE. As for the dogs they own, idk if any clues can be gleaned from them, but I am not a dog expert.

Signs of a break-in? Problem is, it sounds like it is unconfirmed whether the basement door was locked or unlocked. It was supposed to be locked, but was it? Even if it was, it would have been unlocked during the search by the family.

Someone asking for ransom? I really cannot imagine anyone thinking SW's family were millionaires. But, even if they did, since all the cops you can imagine were crawling all over the place by that night (eta, the person might not call, but i don't think she was taken for ransom).

So, i am kind of thinking one big lack of evidence of abduction puzzle piece would be clear evidence of Something Else. It wouldn't be "lost in woods" because i don't know what kind of evidence that would leave (especially since they have not found her).

I don't completely understand the geography of that place, but the frantic trip to the holler in CH's truck while CB was on the phone with DW doesn't sound like an efficient way to find a child that maybe wandered off.

She probably wouldn't have wandered to a place you could drive to and, if she did, you would have to be calm and quiet and go slowly (easier said than done, i realize!). That seems more like if you were looking for something as large and noisy as the truck you're in that you think maybe she's in... Another truck.

But, it could just be CB panicking. And, since I don't understand the geography of the place and she lives there, it might be perfectly logical to look there.

ETA i am not watching Dr. phil, what is the "cornbread mafia"? I have never heard this. I am from Tennessee.

Watching Dr Phil and the mom is in so much pain after ‘cornbread mafia’ is mentioned. Never heard of that term before.

I think it is very possible at this point she is checked out from what they are asking about. Her mind may still be hung in the previous question and that is where the emotion is coming from.

I wish we knew exactly which question was asked before the cornbread mafia one. Was it the question on what should happen to the guilty party as shown on the episode, or was there something in between those clips we didn’t see.

Of note this strong emotional reaction was followed with “they’re not helping me”.

Watching Dr Phil and the mom is in so much pain after ‘cornbread mafia’ is mentioned. Never heard of that term before.
Don restated the term as "hill*****" mafia (I truncated the word as I think it's considered derogatory) so apparently it refers to some sort of crime organization in the South.

BTW, even though it goes against what the purported experts said, IMO Candus' breakdown may not have resulted directly from the talk about the cornbread mafia. IMO she wasn't paying a lot of attention to that discussion but rather she looked like she was already "checking out," meaning the prior discussion was catching up to her and she broke down. MOO of course.

As opposed to Don who seems to enjoy interviews, Candus dreads them IMO so it wouldn't surprise me if she'd been wound tightly throughout the Dr. Phil/Behavior Panel process and frankly I don't blame her.

I think it is very possible at this point she is checked out from what they are asking about. Her mind may still be hung in the previous question and that is where the emotion is coming from.

I wish we knew exactly which question was asked before the cornbread mafia one. Was it the question on what should happen to the guilty party as shown on the episode, or was there something in between those clips we didn’t see.

Of note this strong emotional reaction was followed with “they’re not helping me”.
I feel better that you see the same thing as me. I'm slower on the keyboard though and was still typing my comment, lol.

https://www.findsummerwells.com/post/the-abduction-question

We are being told all the time from people and news media that Sheriff Lawson doesn't think it is an abduction. Then they try to watch us for a response. We fully support Sheriff Lawson and the TBI and everyone that is trying to find our Daughter Summer. We would like to post this quote from today from Sheriff Lawson about an abduction.

"Lawson said. “As much media attention, social media attention across America, one person would have seen that and made a call. But, we’re not ruling it out.”"

That is exactly our thought, we're not ruling it out.

Was it a planned abduction? We don't know and can't figure that out. Was it an accidental abduction? Very possible too.

5 months later: Hawkins Co. Sheriff says search for Summer Wells continues, but no signs point to abduction | WJHL | Tri-Cities News & Weather
What exactly is an "ACCIDENTAL Abduction "" ???

I mean, how does one abduct someone "accidentally" ??

I honestly have never heard that before and just wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rah1991