GUILTY TN - Yair Carillo, 4 days old, abducted, mom stabbed, Antioch, 29 Sept 2009

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The below linked article has some good information. Evidently she rented a car from the Nashville airport then returned it to the Huntsville airport where her BF picked her up. Also an FBI agent said there was no ongoing threat to the family and could not say why the kids were taken by the state. In another article yesterday the same agent went so far as to state the baby has been gone from his mother half his life and needs to be returned to her now.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=157&sid=8117278

I was looking for the article where he said the baby should be returned. I'm sure they investigated the mother pretty thoroughly.
I think it's time the FBI investigated child protective services for their civil right's violations.
I hope the kids are ok in foster care.
Can you imagine having your child stolen, being stabbed and instead of being reunited with your baby, the state take all your kids ?

"Gurrolla told investigators that during the abduction, she heard the woman make a phone call and tell someone in Spanish words to the effect of "the job is done" and that the mother "was dying," said Siskovic, the FBI agent.

Siskovic said Silas took the victim's cell phone, which helped investigators locate Silas.

He would not comment further on the possibility that Silas was not working alone."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091004/ap_on_re_us/us_tenn_newborn_snatched

How Dumb do you gotta be? She took her phone, realy? the phone? What a stupid stipid thing to do when your commiting a felony kipnapping while attempting murder. and trying not to get caught. But I am glad she did that.
Oddly I feel bad for her boyfriend Martin, and I am not comfortable with it.

I was looking for the article where he said the baby should be returned. I'm sure they investigated the mother pretty thoroughly.
I think it's time the FBI investigated child protective services for their civil right's violations.
I hope the kids are ok in foster care.
Can you imagine having your child stolen, being stabbed and instead of being reunited with your baby, the state take all your kids ?

I'm still trying to hunt down that article. I think it was by AP but I can't recall what state outlet I read it in. I'll keep looking though. I remembering thinking wow, that doesn't sound like there's much of a reason to take the kids away.

Here is the original AP article I read the quote in. Can you imagine thinking you are going to be reunited with your baby then have all your kids taken away?

http://www2.wsav.com/sav/ap_exchang...abySnatchVictimLosesKidsToStateCustody/54068/

(snip)
"This baby is a week old, and this child has spent half his life away from his family. I think it's time we reunite them," said My Harrison, a special agent with the FBI in Tennessee.
Johnson said officials made arrangements for Gurrolla to see her baby Saturday afternoon and hold him, and she brought her three other children ages 3, 9 and 11 with her. All four children were then taken into custody. Johnson, who said he could not discuss details of the situation for privacy reasons, said a judge would review the case next week to determine when the children can go home.

The impression I've gotten from most of the recent articles is that LE knows why the children are in custody, but they're not stating publically. Because, really. Can we honestly believe the FBI or local LE has no clue why these kids aren't at home? And the FBI agent's comments came before the children were ordered removed.

The impression I've gotten from most of the recent articles is that LE knows why the children are in custody, but they're not stating publically. Because, really. Can we honestly believe the FBI or local LE has no clue why these kids aren't at home? And the FBI agent's comments came before the children were ordered removed.

Why do you think they took the kids ?

How would I know? It doesn't help matters to speculate. In general, kids are generally removed because of signs of abuse, neglect, criminal charges, etc. I don't believe they arranged this reunion only to say "Y'know, it'd sure be fun to break up this family today. Why don't we do that? I love to see tears and trauma."

I still don't believe we've heard the extent of what happened before and during this abduction. It doesn't seem to be a popular view in here, but I'm not convinced this wasn't planned to some extent by someone other than the suspect.

I was so happy Saturday when the news said the baby was found and then Sunday, I got upset when I learned that all the children were removed from the mother's care. I am left praying that whatever reason the children were taken from the mother was for a simple safety reason and not something horrible.

Reading the thread backwards here, but

You need to go through security after you pick up your baggage. The only people allowed in the baggage area are passengers getting off the plane and employees.

Not in the Huntsville, AL airport my dear. You can walk right in off the street and stand at the carousels.

Mother Accused of Trying to Sell Infant

A "dependent neglect" hearing is scheduled for Maria Gurrolla Tuesday afternoon in Juvenile Court. The source, who had direct knowledge of the hearing, said documents accuse Gurrolla of arranging to sell the infant.

The new accusations appear to explain why the Department of Children's Services removed all children from Gurrolla's home over the weekend.

A statement released Monday by DCS said, in part, that "the Department of Children's Services still has concerns about the well-being and safety of these children, based on credible and serious information that we are currently receiving."

Meanwhile, Tammy Renee Silas, the woman who authorities said kidnapped the child Sept. 29, will not fight being moved to Nashville to face charges.

The court clerk's office in Huntsville, Ala., said a magistrate is expected to sign papers authorizing Silas to be moved to Tennessee by federal marshals.

Law enforcement officials said the case is still under active investigation. Federal documents indicated a second person could be involved. According to Silas' arrest warrant, Maria Gurrolla, the mother who was stabbed, heard Silas make a phone call in Spanish after the stabbing. Gurrolla said Silas told someone "the job is done" and that Gurrolla "was dying."

The baby was briefly reunited with his mother Saturday, when she got a chance to hold him for the first time in three days. But state child welfare officials then took custody of the infant and his siblings -- ages 3, 9 and 11 -- for "safety" reasons.

DCS spokesman Rob Johnson declined to talk specifically about the Gurrolla case but said taking children into custody after a kidnapping is not necessarily standard procedure.

He said the caseworkers saw something in this situation that made them concerned enough that they felt the safest thing to do was find a foster home for the children. He declined to say what caseworkers were concerned about or whether complaints had been filed against the family.

Johnson said children are often placed with family members but not until a background check and home study are done.

"DCS is acting with an abundance of caution," said Johnson.

Officials told the family that they are holding the children until they can be sure that the suspect acted alone.

Snipped from: http://www.wsmv.com/news/21204908/detail.html

So there we go. That's why the mother got the children taken away.

I was afraid of that. Too sad. I think it's beyond valid reasoning to remove the children and doesn't constitute wrongdoing on the part of CPS at all, as long as the evidence is credible.

Mother Accused of Trying to Sell Infant

Snipped from: http://www.wsmv.com/news/21204908/detail.html

So there we go. That's why the mother got the children taken away.

Thanks. This is exactly the sort of thing I suspected. A sale, adoption scam, or a decision not to adopt-out the baby that ended in violence. I didn't see how this could be random given the distance involved and the fact that the woman seemed to have reason to target a Latino baby that would look like it belonged to her and her SO.

This is nothing new. The kidnappers BF has been saying this all along. IMO, this is the perps claim to try to negate the kidnapping charge. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

There must be some evidence. Phone records, Craigslist listing, another form of correspondence, etc. I doubt they'd remove kids based on the claims of someone close to the defendant. Particularly since the BF hasn't always claimed this was a sale--he said she was adopting a family member's infant from Texas. When did the sale allegations come in?

If he's claiming it was a sale now, then he lied earlier. I'm assuming LE must have something else. Otherwise they'd be seen as targeting a victimized minority mother of young children. Not really good PR.

I'm confused. If the Mom was supposedly gonna sell her baby, why was she stabbed during his abduction?

How Dumb do you gotta be? She took her phone, realy? the phone? What a stupid stipid thing to do when your commiting a felony kipnapping while attempting murder. and trying not to get caught. But I am glad she did that.
Oddly I feel bad for her boyfriend Martin, and I am not comfortable with it.

I've seen speculation that she took the phone because it had the picture of the baby that the father had taken on it. It's been reported that the family was lucky that he had taken a snapshot with his phone since they had yet to take other photos of the newborn yet.

Could have been staged, or could have been a deal gone bad. Maybe at the last moment she decided not to sell. The thing that throws me off is the stork in the front yard. Who advertises the birth of a baby they plan on selling? Unless it was another well-meaning family member who wasn't wise to the plan.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steviecarter
Back