Trial date set for Sidney and Tammy Moorer #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be honest and say, yes, I have followed this case and from the information already presented think TM and SM are involved in the HE's disappearance. If I were from that county and were called for that trial, this is what I would say. I believe our justice system is one of the best in the world although certainly a long way from perfect. I believe both TM and SM have some deep rooted issues that guide their choices that would be very hard to change. Also, if they are not convicted, I think it is possible one or the other will continue deviant behavior and, I do believe that once someone has killed, it is more likely they may do it again. I think even if convicted, and they serve time, they will continue the deviant behavior behind bars, but they will have similar company there.

Not really, I can see where there is lots of circumstantial evidence that leads to they probably did it BUT I can also see gaps in the theories where it's clear they didn't do it.

So "beyond a reasonable doubt" is not proven yet to me..... maybe once hearing the evidence that the general public is not aware of I would change my mind, but right now, I sit on the fence

For the reasons you gave, I would answer with a simple no. I have not formed an opinion about this case.

As with most cases, I tend to keep an open mind. I will remain on the fence until all the evidence is presented.

I posted the question after following the comments regarding being a member of WS and jury selection. I don't believe anyone would be disqualified for being a member of a crime forum. However, in criminal cases, jurors are usually excused for having formed an opinion concerning the defendant’s guilt or innocence before the trial begins. Especially people that have formed and publicly expressed strong opinions. IMO

In reading some responses I have seen TM's father mentioned a few times. I must have missed whatever evidence or statements that were made that involved her dad. Could someone enlighten me on why some think he was involved ? I have never known that, only known that he passed while she was incarcerated.

I don't believe there's any evidence that specifically alludes to his involvement... but I personally believe that if anyone helped them cover it up, he's the most likely person to have done so. He just appeared to be the type of father who would do anything his daughter asked of him (the house the Ms live in is/was his---a much larger property than even his own). He also seemed to be a very ornery man in general, had been to jail for assault in the past, and he threatened a woman who was assisting in a search for HE on the land next to his house with a tree branch. Those are a few of the reasons I personally believe he may have been involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one should be able to state they are absolutely 100% certain of the M's guilt B.A.R.D. since the evidence hasn't even been released in court yet. We don't even know what the evidence is, beyond what the state disclosed during 1 hearing. I would hope people could at least wait to see all the evidence, whatever it is or isn't.

If summoned for jury duty,I'm curious how many here would answer the following question.

Have you formed an opinion about the defendants guilt?

I'd be honest and say yes, my opinion is that the M's appear to be complicit and that opinion is based on similar crimes unrelated to the M's. I'm only basing this opinion off of info gleaned from the internet and news. I'd also be honest in saying that I'd feel uncomfortable sentencing someone to life in prison, or most especially to death, unless the prosecution has much more concrete info tying the M's to Heather's disappearance/death...as opposed to what's been released thus far.

Gut says guilty but another person assisted. Gut is not evidence and a juror can only vote based on evidence.

I would NOT want to sit on this jury bc I may be able to relate to how TM felt towards Heather and I would end up feeling sorry for her I think. It's a lot different looking at it from the outside where one can be nonjudgmental. However, once sitting through the trial and hearing all testimony, especially phone texts and social media between Heather and Sidney, those opinions could change. Even if TCM was the one that did the dastardly deed, I'd personally blame SSM more for carrying on with Heather.

Bumper stickers? Ha! We had to answer the same questions, minus the bumper stickers. :)

Yeah bumper stickers - I kid you not. It was asked bc of political affiliations and various support groups. I had one that said Save the Tatas. :D We also had to be specific about where we get our news, including internet sites, TV news channels - whether public TV or cable - etc. Then once we were picked for the jury, we had to give up our user names for the net forums we belong to - heck some people even had to give up their topix and eBay monickers! We had to say where we work, where our spouses work, where we went to college, how we feel about the service if not have ever served, if we're involved in extracurricular activities for leisure or for coaching, where we vacation, etc. It was a murder trial and several witnesses were called for the prosecution that were actually incarcerated for rape crimes, theft, drug distribution, gang affiliations, etc. I think both sides were leaving no stone unturned when it came to selecting jurors.

Wow, Jersey*Girl, I was on a trial about two years ago, also murder, but we didn't go through all of that! Yes, they did ask about the bumper stickers, and, of course, the usual do you know the suspects, the place where the murder happened, etc??, and all the other stuff about where we work, where our spouses work, what are kids are up to, but nothing about social media or giving up our information. That must have been some case! I was surprised to be picked since I'm a social worker who works with youth, some close in age to the victim and suspect(s), in the same city, blocks away, from where the murder was committed. It was a much heavier and stressful duty than I would have expected being on that jury. Mentally exhausting :(.

Yeah bumper stickers - I kid you not. It was asked bc of political affiliations and various support groups. I had one that said Save the Tatas. :D We also had to be specific about where we get our news, including internet sites, TV news channels - whether public TV or cable - etc. Then once we were picked for the jury, we had to give up our user names for the net forums we belong to - heck some people even had to give up their topix and eBay monickers! We had to say where we work, where our spouses work, where we went to college, how we feel about the service if not have ever served, if we're involved in extracurricular activities for leisure or for coaching, where we vacation, etc. It was a murder trial and several witnesses were called for the prosecution that were actually incarcerated for rape crimes, theft, drug distribution, gang affiliations, etc. I think both sides were leaving no stone unturned when it came to selecting jurors.

My Lord! That's a lot of personal info...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am really wanting to read the threads on evidence 1 and 2. I am also very reluctant because if I do get summoned I would honestly be able to say that I am not familiar with all the evidence. I know what is going on currently but I am no way familiar with everything that went on before the gag order. I see information on WS and that is really all I have to go on.

IMO, if you've posted on this forum, you would need to disclose it and you'd probably wouldn't be selected for jury duty on this case. And I say that because if you're interested enough in the case that you've participated in forum discussions about it and you didn't disclose it up front...that could be a basis for a mistrial if it were discovered down the road. Every single post would be scrutinized.
As for me, I don't live in SC so no chance of being on the jury lol - but I can say, though my mind can be changed once the evidence is presented...it would take quite a bit for me to be convinced that these 2 are not guilty.

Oh i wasn't saying that I would keep it from them. What i was saying is that if they asked what i knew about the case honestly its a few puzzle pieces out of the whole thing. I know what I have heard and i have seen the warrants that is about all... I would in no way ever ever try to cause any problems for this case.

BBM...

12/31/14
- Trial date set for Heather Elvis murder case

A trial date has been set for the week of May 11 for Tammy and Sidney Moorer, who are charged in the death of Heather Elvis, according to court documents filed Dec. 31.

3/25/15 - Trial for Heather Elvis murder postponed

The trial of Tammy and Sidney Moorer in connection with Heather Elvis' disappearance has been continued.

An order filed yesterday in Horry County Court says the case will not be heard in May, but other pretrial motions will still be held.

The continuance was agreed to by all parties, the order says.

A new date for the trial has not yet been set.

"The time in May won't go to waste," said 15th Circuit Solicitor Jimmy Richardson. "We will be meeting with the judge and the attorneys to handle motions. We hope to have a trial date after those hearings."

5/8/15 - Hearings for Heather Elvis murder trial delayed

The hearing scheduled to start Monday, May 11 for the case against Tammy and Sidney Moorer in connection with Heather Elvis' disappearance has been delayed.

Horry County Solicitor Jimmy Richardson said there is no need to have hearings and motions in relation to the case at this time.

"Everyone agreed with that decision during the telephone conference," he said.

The trial for the couple was set to take place the week of May 11, but was delayed in March.

New dates for the trial and the hearings have not yet been set.

What could the reason possibly be for this? No motions on either side? no other dates set? I'm so confused..
I thought if the defense wanted to get charges dropped or something, they wouldn't want a delay. I don't know anything about court hearings and whatnot though..

I'm all for the prosecution on getting things "right" and in line for the trial, but it'd be so much easier to swallow if the M's were still in jail during the delay!
Also some explanation would be nice :gaah:

One can only hope..... but I would think the only reason neither side would need any hearings is because some sort of deal is being hashed out?

I find that hard to believe - but gonna ask those of you smarter than I........Would that make this make sense??

I've never seen a high profile trial start on the date they said it would.

I think they have to wait for BW to give birth. Her testimony is important and if she having a high risk pregnancy, they couldn`t put her in jeopardy. Once she has the baby and everything is okay, that is when I believe everything will start falling into place. Does anyone here know the due date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth