Trial date set for Sidney and Tammy Moorer #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Background checks are not free, they cost the employer money. With the size of Disney's staff in Epcot alone, it is believable one was never run. Also, even if they did, there are many different levels of a background check, some do not go out of state, and if SM has no prior criminal history, pending charges from a different state may not come up. They know how to work the system, and they did.

The question now is if Disney already hired him, can they legally let him go because of these charges?

Background checks are not free, they cost the employer money. With the size of Disney's staff in Epcot alone, it is believable one was never run. Also, even if they did, there are many different levels of a background check, some do not go out of state, and if SM has no prior criminal history, pending charges from a different state may not come up. They know how to work the system, and they did.

The question now is if Disney already hired him, can they legally let him go because of these charges?

Exactly. Most employers do not conduct criminal background checks on people who have no direct contact with children. References checks are not the same as background checks.

The cost of running the checks was not disclosed, but Warren said it is ``significant.'' The Florida Department of Law Enforcement charges $15 for a statewide criminal check, which covers city, county and state arrests. However, Disney plans to check employees going back seven years, which means some out-of-state research would be required. Disney has contracted with a company to do the work.

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/oct/18/news/mn-33641

The cost of running the checks was not disclosed, but Warren said it is ``significant.'' The Florida Department of Law Enforcement charges $15 for a statewide criminal check, which covers city, county and state arrests. However, Disney plans to check employees going back seven years, which means some out-of-state research would be required. Disney has contracted with a company to do the work.

Thanks for that link @Magnolia!

BBM

Disney has no written guidelines about what crimes would prevent someone from being hired, Warren said. Those decisions would be made on an individual basis, considering the type of crime and how long ago it was committed. Warren said an employee who had a criminal background and did not disclose it on the application could face disciplinary action for lying.

Since SM has not been convicted of a crime, he can easily circumvent this clause on a Disney application. I seriously doubt that Disney HR would search the Horry County public index for any pending court cases. However, wouldn't you think that there would be something that asks if you wear an anklet?

My thought is that Disney wouldn't want their reputation tarnished by hiring someone with a pending murder trial in the midst. There are PLENTY of other qualified individuals that they could hire before him IMO.

Here in MB, one of the local car washes won't even hire someone with visible tattoos! Go figure.

http://disneycareers.com/en/faq/application-process > https://sjobs.brassring.com/tgwebhost/jobdetails.aspx?partnerid=25348&siteid=5046&jobid=256846

I filled out an app so I could get to their policies. I quit before submitting a digital signature (because that would be a no-no) so, I didn't get to any background questions. Here is what it said...

BBM

Food and Beverage Food Handler- Part-Time, Walt Disney World

To ensure a safe and healthy environment for our Guests and Cast, we are committed to maintaining a workplace that is free of the influences of drugs. For specific roles, an offer of employment is conditional based on a satisfactory result of a drug test result for illegal substances. The company also has a policy of drug and alcohol testing on a random basis or under other circumstances during the course of employment.

If an offer of employment is made, I understand that prior to, and during my employment, I may be required by the Company to take and pass a medical examination, and I hereby voluntarily consent to any such examination when requested by the Company.

I authorize and request all of my present and former employers, school authorities, references, and other individuals and entities, to give information concerning me, whether or not it is on its records, and I release them and their companies, and the Company, from any liability whatsoever arising from furnishing the requested information. I also authorize the Company to give information concerning me, whether or not it is on their records, to prospective employers in the future, and release the Company and its employees from any liability whatsoever in this regard.

I certify that all statements given on this application are correct and complete and realize that falsification or misrepresentation, including omission, on this or any other personnel record, or in the hiring process, may be grounds for refusal of employment, or if hired, may lead to disciplinary action, up to and including termination.

If hired, I agree to conform to all present or subsequently issued policies, rules, procedures, and regulations of the Company. I recognize that my employment is at will and I can be transferred, reassigned, or demoted, or my employment can be terminated at any time with or without cause, and with or without notice. Either the Company or I may terminate the employment relationship at will for any reason not prohibited by law or by a written Company policy in effect at the time of termination. I understand that (except for a written employment agreement for a fixed term) no representative of the Company has authority to enter into any agreement with me for employment for any specified period of time, or that is not terminable at will by myself or the Company, or to make any representations contrary to the foregoing. Any practices that are or may appear to be at variance with this do not effect a waiver by the Company of the at-will status in any way except the senior officer in charge of the corporate operations of The Walt Disney Company who may do so only in writing. <,/p>

In the event of employment, and in consideration thereof, the Company and any person or concern it may authorize will be entitled, without further consent, to copyright, sell, or use in any manner, any picture or photograph or other likeness of me (including still, video, or motion picture), or recording of my voice.

Employment is subject to the satisfactory completion of a background check and, as applicable, a reference check.

AGREEMENT: By signing this Electronic Signature Acknowledgment Online Form, I agree that my electronic signature is the legally binding equivalent to my handwritten signature, with the validity and meaning as my handwritten signature. I will not, at any time in the future, repudiate the meaning of my electronic signature or claim that my electronic signature is not legally binding.

This is crazy. I don't believe for one second this case will go quiet. I am going to review the timeline, but I believe once they search the property that is when the couple got charged?? I will have to review it all, it's been so long. To long for Heather to not have justice.

I would hope these background checks also include good old Google.

Madeleine 74 said: 'If you believe in a higher power of some kind or Karma, then you might also believe each human is accountable for their actions in this life and harm done to others creates a Karmic debt that can't be escaped. Sometimes that is the only justice that will be found. Either way, the victim never comes back alive and that's really what all their loved ones want more than anything else.'

Agreed, I will always believe that it was Gods will that the bodies of Lacey Peterson and her baby washed up just where Scott had been fishing.
SC people are the hard core type, conservative, eye for an eye, old school. I believe a jury, any where in the state, except Charleston, would convict the M's, based on the circumstantial evidence. Charleston has more people from everywhere, more liberal, more likely to give them the benefit of a doubt. Not that you still couldn't convict them in Chas, but I'd feel better if they brought the trial anywhere else.
All MOO only

I have a friend who is a higher up at Disney World. Today I briefed her on the case, ending that SM (out on bond) possibly went to Disney to seek employment. Literally within seconds she told me via the database that Sidney S. Moorer was recently hired at Epcot as a Cook. Obviously I can't link this so take it for what its worth.

It gripes my a$$ that in spite of everything, the M's are still living the Disney dream. Maybe we need to go on the Disney sites with the 'Disney hired a suspected killer to cook your food' info.
IMO, they seem like the types to jump on a boat in Key West and head to Cuba. Maybe the Castro brothers would let them stay as refugees.
Sorry, my imagine is acting up today.

How about indecent exposure - as if murder/kidnapping weren't enough!? Those charges appear to be 'pending' as well.

I don't believe the BBM. No way Disney hired Sidney Moorer without doing a background check. This is how wild rumors get started. :rolleyes: Most likely, he got a construction job. IMO

No, rumors get started when someone doesn't qualify their posts with *IF TRUE,* and doesn't add qualifying/limiting verbiage, which is exactly how I started my post. In other words, I don't necessarily believe this is true and I made that plainly obvious.

Exactly. Most employers do not conduct criminal background checks on people who have no direct contact with children. References checks are not the same as background checks.

This is false. I've had background criminal checks done as part of the standard hiring process at every corporate job I've had in the last 15+ years, and I don't work with children or the general public. Companies (especially large companies) often do credit checks, background criminal checks, some do drug testing (depending on the employer). This is standard and is accomplished by third-party companies utilized by corporations.

How about indecent exposure - as if murder/kidnapping weren't enough!? Those charges appear to be 'pending' as well.

I did not read about this before although had a vague recollection of someone mentioning this.

Who was supposedly involved in the indecent exposure? How many people actually saw this occur? I'm guessing it was S and not T? Probably an incorrect guess too, if its true . IF they don't pursue what is true and provable, it must be lack of an evidential witness.

Whether Disney hired him or not, SOMEBODY hired him in Orlando, Florida - of all places!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is false. I've had background criminal checks done as part of the standard hiring process at every corporate job I've had in the last 15+ years, and I don't work with children or the general public. Companies (especially large companies) often do credit checks, background criminal checks, some do drug testing (depending on the employer). This is standard and is accomplished by third-party companies utilized by corporations.

I stand corrected.

No, rumors get started when someone doesn't qualify their posts with *IF TRUE,* and doesn't add qualifying/limiting verbiage, which is exactly how I started my post. In other words, I don't necessarily believe this is true and I made that plainly obvious.

BBM- I know you did. I didn't mean that you started the rumor.

Background checks only provide information on a case where a person has been found guilty of a charge. Any pending charges related to the HE case would not appear on a current background check for SM. JMO...

Background checks only provide information on a case where a person has been found guilty of a charge. Any pending charges related to the HE case would not appear on a current background check for SM. JMO...

Bouncing off your "JMO comment" @scaredtopost...

Depending on the employer and who performs a background check (in-house vs. consumer reporting agency), pending charges and other info related to the hiree will be checked (see below).

BBM

From Privacy Rights Clearinghouse &#8211; Fact Sheet 16: Employment Background Checks: A Jobseeker's Guide

According to a study conducted by the Society for Human Resource Management, approximately two-thirds of organizations conduct criminal background checks on all of their job candidates. Whether you are hired or promoted may depend on the information revealed in a background check. Job applicants and existing employees as well as volunteers may be asked to submit to background checks. For some jobs, screening is required by federal or state law.

[...]

Does a criminal record mean I can never get a job?

Not necessarily. The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) has said that use of criminal history may sometimes violate Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. This can happen, the EEOC says, when employers treat criminal history differently for different applicants or employees.

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) says that a person cannot be denied employment based on a criminal record alone. Instead, the decision to hire or not must be based on a &#8220;business necessity,&#8221; which requires the employer to consider:

• The nature and gravity of the offense or offenses.
  • The time that has passed since the conviction and or completion of the sentence.
  • The nature of the job held or sought.
EEO laws apply in employment situations whether the employer hires a third-party screening company or not. The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires compliance with EEO laws.

The EEOC has issued extensive guidelines for employers in considering the criminal history of a job applicant or employee. To aid in compliance with Title VII, the EEOC guidelines provide employers with examples of best business practices.

From EEOC Guidelines &#8211; Consideration of Arrest and Conviction Records in Employment Decisions Under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964

2. Arrests

The fact of an arrest does not establish that criminal conduct has occurred.101 Arrests are not proof of criminal conduct. Many arrests do not result in criminal charges, or the charges are dismissed. Even if an individual is charged and subsequently prosecuted, he is presumed innocent unless proven guilty.​

[...]

2. What Is Included in a Background Check?

Background reports can range from a verification of an applicant's Social Security number to a detailed account of the potential employee's history and acquaintances. Information included in a background check will depend to some extent on the employer and the job involved. For many jobs, a state or federal law requires the employer to conduct a background check. Jobs that involve work with children, the elderly or people with disabilities are examples of jobs that will almost certainly require a criminal background check. Some employers search social networking sites such as Facebook for the profiles of applicants.

Here are some of the pieces of information that might be included in a background check. Note that many of these sources are public records created by government agencies.

• Driving records
  • Vehicle registration
  • Credit records
  • Criminal records
  • Social Security no.
  • Education records
  • Court records
  • Workers' compensation
  • Bankruptcy
  • Character references
  • Medical records
  • Property ownership
  • Military records
  • State licensing records
  • Drug test records
  • Past employers
  • Personal references
  • Incarceration records
  • Sex offender lists
IMO, there is certainly the possibility that any employer could perform a background check and find out info that Sidney St Clair Moorer was charged with murder, kidnapping, obstruction of justice, and indecent exposure. A simple Google search will tell you that.

Whether or not they hold any of the charges against him is really up to hiring company. They definitely cannot discriminate against him for any pending charges (or even a conviction under certain circumstances).

My thing is, how many employers actually tell you why they didn't hire you? Slim to none in my experience. They just don't call you back, or give you some generic answer.

I cannot see how Disney (of all places) would overlook any type of murder-related charge (conviction or not). It's not like they couldn't give some other excuse for not hiring him. :moo:

Does SM have to prove gainful (continued) employment in order to be allowed to STAY in Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karmalicious478