Trial date set for Sidney and Tammy Moorer? #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the prosecution, at this time, is doing the right thing. They need to be confident that they have the last nail for this coffin, otherwise, if they M's go to court on murder charges and they are not convicted, then the courts are done with it. The court would never be able to bring murder charges against them. At least this way, they can always come back and file charges again.

Hopefully, someone will crack under pressure... maybe if they take the stand during the trial for the kidnapping charges. Maybe have a slip of the tongue under oath.

My concerns/questions involve the kidnapping charges. I wonder what could they possibly have to prove that HE had been kidnapped... taken and held against her will?

I think the prosecution, at this time, is doing the right thing. They need to be confident that they have the last nail for this coffin, otherwise, if they M's go to court on murder charges and they are not convicted, then the courts are done with it. The court would never be able to bring murder charges against them. At least this way, they can always come back and file charges again.

Hopefully, someone will crack under pressure... maybe if they take the stand during the trial for the kidnapping charges. Maybe have a slip of the tongue under oath.

My concerns/questions involve the kidnapping charges. I wonder what could they possibly have to prove that HE had been kidnapped... taken and held against her will?

Maybe it's just easier to convict with circumstantial evidence beyond a reasonable doubt with kidnapping as opposed to murder. There's plenty of circumstantial, and even direct, evidence.

Can the Elvis family file a wrongful death suit against them? I don't know what the rules are for that.

Maybe it's just easier to convict with circumstantial evidence beyond a reasonable doubt with kidnapping as opposed to murder. There's plenty of circumstantial, and even direct, evidence.

Can the Elvis family file a wrongful death suit against them? I don't know what the rules are for that.

They certainly can *if* the statute of limitations has not run out. I don't know what it is in SC. In my state (NC) it has to be filed within 2 years of the crime.

As for proving the kidnapping charge that might be easier in the end. They can prove Heather was intending to go meet SM. They can prove she was lured out that night. They can prove through her phone pings that she left her apartment and went to PTL. Her car was left at PTL. There was a black truck matching the M's driving to PTL at the same time (seen on 2 videos I think). So they can easily infer they met up at PTL and Heather has never been seen again. That might net a conviction.

They certainly can *if* the statute of limitations has not run out. I don't know what it is in SC. In my state (NC) it has to be filed within 2 years of the crime.

As for proving the kidnapping charge that might be easier in the end. They can prove Heather was intending to go meet SM. They can prove she was lured out that night. They can prove through her phone pings that she left her apartment and went to PTL. Her car was left at PTL. There was a black truck matching the M's driving to PTL at the same time (seen on 2 videos I think). So they can easily infer they met up at PTL and Heather has never been seen again. That might net a conviction.

I hope so. I have yet to see any kind of reasonable explanation of why SM called her from the payphone, other than that the roommate lied about it (what was said in the convo). (I do NOT believe she lied)

Yeah, SM calls Heather first after she had not talked to him for several weeks. She calls him back and eventually they talk upwards of 4 min. She leaves her apartment in the early morning hours (proved by her cell phone pings) and drives to PTL. SM/TM or someone driving their truck, drives at the same time to PTL. One can state that the roommate is lying (though I doubt anyone would think she would be lying) but even if you dismiss the roommate, you still have the activity of both parties driving and heading to the same place at the same time.

I really thought I posted yesterday. Since I don't see it, I'll post again. I'm hoping this is just a "delay" in the process until there is enough to go forward with a strong case to put the Ms away forever. Until then, we sit back and watch TM continue to post as herself and SM all over FB and violate that gag order (which obviously nobody of authority cares to address) and hope she slips up. I have faith this case will be solved eventually and Heather will get the justice SHE deserves!!! I'm not certain of what all the answers are obviously I wasn't there that night but most of us agree that at the very least SM was in her disappearance and for that, he deserves to see the inside of a court room. JMO.

Yeah, SM calls Heather first after she had not talked to him for several weeks. She calls him back and eventually they talk upwards of 4 min. She leaves her apartment in the early morning hours (proved by her cell phone pings) and drives to PTL. SM/TM or someone driving their truck, drives at the same time to PTL. One can state that the roommate is lying (though I doubt anyone would think she would be lying) but even if you dismiss the roommate, you still have the activity of both parties driving and heading to the same place at the same time.

The roommate's story would have been verified by phone records, at least the part that Sidney called. Also they had video of Sidney at the pay phone that night.

But the state is working backwards. Given the NP, they clearly did not have anything that would yield a murder conviction in the first place. For the state to now decide to get them on the kidnapping charge and hope it leads to more is an example of the state simply not knowing what happened to Heather, how it happened, and awaiting another charge to build a bridge back to a murder charge.

LE and the state have always said that their case is strictly circumstantial. So what they have is what they've always had - phones talking to one another and vehicles traveling toward the same place at the same time, with Heather's car being the only one that was there for certain. How are they going to prove that any contact between Heather and the M's was against Heather's will, if she drove there?

We have to remember that the defense is not going to give up its clients to the state. Something we can't see keeps the NP from happening with the kidnapping charges, but it could just as well be that the state and the defense can't agree just yet on what's happening with the remainder of the charges.

What bothers me so much is that whether these two criminals pay for this or not (through conviction), Heather is likely to never receive her dignified and deserved laying to rest, nor will her family have the peace of seeing her recovered.

At least it seems highly unlikely, and not because of the passage of time. I think these two had help and I think this crime was well hidden.

The state was wise to finally NP the murder charges that were going nowhere and benefit from a without prejudice status, but the two sides have been going back and forth for a long while and the deals and negotiations are not over. The NP is a card that was played for the benefit of both sides. I highly doubt that the defense was sitting this one out while the state came to its senses on its own. The parties probably had quite a time at the roundtable over what led to the NP on the murder charges. JMO

I have the same question.

Based on what we know, how is the state going to prove the M's held Heather against her will??

I have the same question.

Based on what we know, how is the state going to prove the M's held Heather against her will??

I was wondering the same thing. I have a bad feeling about all of this. I just hope that they don`t walk.

I appreciate any and all help with this. The M's are allowed to address BW, a witness, directly via social media as well as harass TE? The gag order applies to their lawyers but not the M's? Calling out Sandra Rhodes, Jimmy Richardson and Judge John is also fine? I expect gutter trash to act like this but my question is more from a legal standpoint...this is all allowed? TIA

I appreciate any and all help with this. The M's are allowed to address BW, a witness, directly via social media as well as harass TE? The gag order applies to their lawyers but not the M's? Calling out Sandra Rhodes, Jimmy Richardson and Judge John is also fine? I expect gutter trash to act like this but my question is more from a legal standpoint...this is all allowed? TIA

Depends on the exact wording of the gag order and what it includes and who it includes and if it even makes mention of social media.

If you read the order, it pertains to the "defendants" as well as counsel, LE/state, and other relevant parties. Here is a link to the order. There's a separate document for both M's:
http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/25041061/gag-order

I'm not a lawyer, but honestly I don't see how such painfully simple language in the order allows any room for them to get away with all this, or, how some of the content on their pages isn't defamation/libel.

If you read the order, it pertains to the "defendants" as well as counsel, LE/state, and other relevant parties. Here is a link to the order. There's a separate document for both M's:
http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/25041061/gag-order

I'm not a lawyer, but honestly I don't see how such painfully simple language in the order allows any room for them to get away with all this, or, how some of the content on their pages isn't defamation/libel.

Thank you for posting. Agreed!! I'm just really frustrated. I'm wondering if there is anything they can't get away with...

Thank you for posting. Agreed!! I'm just really frustrated. I'm wondering if there is anything they can't get away with...

It does indeed appear that they're getting away with this one altogether. I do not see the kidnapping charge sticking. If that goes away, I think we can expect to see a lawsuit against the police and the Solicitor's office, and God knows who else, and lotsa more drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member