trial day 33: the defense continues its case in chief #94

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one on that side, except for Wilmott, seems to know what professional court attire is. It draws attention to HIM, instead of his client being the focus.

This is in no way intended to be derogatory to the DT, because I know that isn't allowed here. But, I promise, when I pulled the feed up on my laptop I did a double take.

I thought Nurmi was wearing a light blue ruffled tuxedo shirt, like Willard from the original Footloose. Only when the camera panned back did I realize he was indeed wearing a tie. It was my mistake, but I did laugh at myself. :blushing:

I just had a funny thought regarding JA's apparent confidence and upbeat attitude today - apart from the fact that she has obvious"issues"

Do you think she heard about the not guilty vote on HLN's Baez farce and thinks it actually means something ? :giggle:

Not guilty vote?

It was a not guilty vote to Travis attacking her, not she is not guilty of murder. I took it as they don't think travis attacked her

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Bearing in mind that I confess to be totally ignorant of this subject, can one of you, who does understand, explain to me why one would give a test based on persons already in therapy to a person who is undiagnosed and untreated. I suppose there is an answer but in my confusion it appears to be apples and oranges at this time. In other words why assume she fits into the test structure for patients versus the normal population? Call me utterly confused.

That's a complex question. There are many different psych tests, all of which have slightly different purposes and test slightly different characteristics. Some practitioners only use what they are trained on and most familiar with, even if there are "better" other tests. (And some may "cherry pick" the use of certain tests with the hope that they might show something specific that could be highlighted in a court case, lol!)

Let me give an example of IQ testing in children. To give a broad example, there are numerous "IQ" tests, some for children, some for adults. Some are designed to be broad screening tests, and administered in group settings, such as public schools. Some public schools don't have a lot of time or money to individually test every kid, so they initially may choose to purchase and use a screening exam that can be administered by a teacher to a group. These might be used to identify broadly who should be given an individual IQ test, which is more expensive to administer, and requires a differently trained practitioner.

Some practitioners are more familar with certain tests and are trained to administer and score them, such as the Wechsler Intelliegence Scale for Children. They will probably typically default to whatever their "favorite" test is for an initial evaluation (or what the policies state will be used). However, another test, such as the Stanford Binet, may be more appropriate for testing certain children whose scores on the more common Wechsler are considered not valid or interpretable due to something like a learning disability. The practitioner should refer the person for additional, more specific testing, if the results on the first test fall into certain patterns (according to the scoring and interpretation instructions for the test.)

This is a greatly oversimplified explanation above, but basically, there is more reliability in a diagnosis of "something" when there is agreement between instruments (similar scores on different tests). Reproducible results across differently validated instruments (tests). And some instruments are better for certain people or certain conditions than others.

Personally, I can't believe Samuels DIDN'T give Jodi an MMPI. Good grief-- nearly everyone evaluated by someone in the mental health system is given an MMPI. It is a basic and widely administered test-- and is given to prisoners during their first week or 2 in prison during the evaluation period to determine their level of custody, etc. He probably should have given her an IQ test as well, along with several other instruments. I'm not a psych mental health person, but it sure seems to me that Samuels was very minimalist in what he (cherry picked) to give her for testing. It was certainly not a comprehensive evaluation-- not like what she would have received if the defense was claiming insanity and Jodi was put thru the battery of testing for that.

And it DOES seem he cheaped out and re-used a test set, instead of ponying up the small amount of $$ to buy new copies of the test. That alone is an ethical violation, imo. Unbelievable that he would try that in a case of this high profile. His credibility is about zero on the stand today, imo.

Added: He also said he only administered the PTSD instrument 15 times in his career! That is not very many times, for someone who claims to be focused on treating a population with PTSD. But I have to keep reminding myself that he was probably the BEST (only) psychologist they could find to support their defense theory. And they may have also been limited in the budget they could pay a psychologist/ mental health experty, and limited to the state of AZ, if she is indigent. AZLawyer or another AZ atty could address those limitations better.

Assuming the verdict is guilty 1st and dp is comfirmed,
I do not think JM will be gloating as did CA's attorney..
Remember he gave the finger to the press from inside a bar?

Juan is a gentleman. He is a humble man.
For Juan, it will be..
the opening of a new file containing the name of another smart ars wacco who thinks they can get away with murder.

I think it takes a certain personality to be a defense attorney. A lot of them seem sneaky, deceptive, and a mite sociopathic themselves. I don't want to paint them with a broad brush. That is just my view.

LMAO - and people don't think WS is widely read! HAHA I posted this observation earlier today!

:seeya: to dieter nvt and thanks for grabbing just that part to use! However, there is more before that and even activity with the orange folder after that. See my posts for more if interested.

BTW - Katiecoolady sent this to Beth and someone who is going to be there today is gonna try to tell a guard too!
:wave:
In your clip from earlier it looked like she also swiped a pencil. Maybe she's running low from all the fabulously popular drawings she's churning out :rolleyes:
bbm

ETA: I think the cameraman had her number and knew what she was doing! :giggle:

OT: OMG Chardon High School killer (a kid) wearing a white T shirt with "Killer" across the front while in court. Gave the middle finger to the families who lost loved ones while in court. Sentenced to life w/o parole!

I heard this on the radio a couple of hours ago - 3 consecutive life sentences!

If the judge gets wind of this, Jodi might find herself in handcuffs during trial! That would be so sweet!

Someone needs to get this to the courthouse. This is ridiculous and it is NOT the first time I have seen her do something like this! on the you tube video when she was leaving court all giggly and waving with Wimott, it seemed like the male guard was jesting with her too. His back was turned to the camera but he kind of had his head down between his shoulders and it was moving back and forth a little like he was talking to her ("How YOU doin???"). The female guard who is there sometimes seems much less sympathetic toward her.

If nothing else, I am pretty sure Sherrif Joe would be interested, since she's HIS inmate.

What was the reason for the duct tape?
In the crime scene photos ?
Her fingerprints had to be on it.
But again, what did she use it for? and her clean up was pretty sloppy.
She threw the camera in the washer to get rid of pics and also to get rid of her bloody prints and she ain't such a good crime coverupper is she?
glad about it though...or where would she be today out killing another man in a shower?

I agree...I have played it about 10 times and still don't see anything that makes me think it is anyplace other than under her......ANYONE have any idea how to get this to Det. Flores????

Look just above the white paper cups, you will see something slide in there. I still think she took something just not all of it.

I have admittedly had it up to my back teeth with Jodi's antics during the trial, but I do not see the yellow notebook disappear as others do.

Unless my eyes deceive me, I can still see a small portion of the notebook's spine to the lower right of the computer screen.

LMAO - and people don't think WS is widely read! HAHA I posted this observation earlier today!

:seeya: to dieter nvt and thanks for grabbing just that part to use! However, there is more before that and even activity with the orange folder after that. See my posts for more if interested.

BTW - Katiecoolady sent this to Beth and someone who is going to be there today is gonna try to tell a guard too!

I saw that and thought they should at least give you credit!! :cheers: Thanks for letting us know that Beth has it.....I think she is up to something that has to do with her tests, or something she said to RS...they would do anything to try to make him look at least a tiny bit credible!!

If you watch closely, she slides the notebook in front of her, but then moves her hand down to her side. The notebook remains in front of her as you can see the its black edge. I don't know what she was up to, but IMO she does not sit on it. It looks like maybe she was trying to steal a pencil?

I could not still see the notebook. jmo

I am still shaking my head at the defense team over this witness and their lack of preparation. Did they not discuss his testimony prior to court?

I mean, they had to be aware that JM has this guy's notes and JA test results. Did they really think JM would just take what he said at face value and not question his dates in contrast to all her stories?

Seems to me they'd know by now that Martinez is relentless...like a dog with a bone clenched between his teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState