Trial Discussion Thread #44 - 14.07.1-2, Day 34-35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Barry Bateman @barrybateman · 15s
#OscarTrial quite an intense meeting underway between Webber, Roux, Arnold, Oscar and Adams. BB

I wonder why Nel hasn't asked if a recording was made of OP screaming?

Nel is back on form today. It was quite a friendly cross examination IMO.

Things almost got heated when Roux objected. A brief glimpse of what's to come during closing arguments. [emoji4]

There may be many reasons why those people did not come forward .. some may have had all their doors/windows shut (if you're house is double glazed then it pretty much blocks out all noise), some neighbours might not have even been there (away on business or holiday), some may just not have even wanted to come forward .. even Frank, who was the closest of all the neighbours does not appear to want to testify .. and he surely must've heard the shots? People can dispute screams, etc, etc, but it cannot be disputed that a gun was fired, and if neigbours did not come forward because they didn't hear anything then it wasn't because nothing happened and there were no sounds, because quite clearly there were sounds .. four loud bangs, for definite!

If they heard the really tough time Michelle Burger was given by Roux, that'd put anyone off IMO.

I live in a townhouse with attached units on either side of me. The buildings are fairly well insulated. My bedroom is on the top level front, 3 stories up from the street.

Several weeks ago I was talking with a neighbor who told me there were two police cars and an ambulance outside the unit next to mine in the middle of the prior night. I was here. I was asleep and had fallen to sleep with the TV on, as I often do.

I heard nothing. Now, I know that is not gunshots. But still.

I just noticed lastminute . com has a new section for expert witnesses in South Africa.

Barry Bateman @barrybateman · 29s
#OscarTrial Lin agrees that he has not excluded the possibility that the listener could differentiate between male/female voice. BB

N: Let us deal with 80m away, if source was in bathroom and listener on balcony, sound was audible?

Nel tries to lead Lin into saying listener would be able to differentiate between male/female scream if sound was intelligible but Lin does not agree.

There may be many reasons why those people did not come forward .. some may have had all their doors/windows shut (if you're house is double glazed then it pretty much blocks out all noise), some neighbours might not have even been there (away on business or holiday), some may just not have even wanted to come forward .. even Frank, who was the closest of all the neighbours does not appear to want to testify .. and he surely must've heard the shots? People can dispute screams, etc, etc, but it cannot be disputed that a gun was fired, and if neigbours did not come forward because they didn't hear anything then it wasn't because nothing happened and there were no sounds, because quite clearly there were sounds .. four loud bangs, for definite!

Where in what I said did I dispute four bangs... or am I misunderstanding you? Because mine was a simple comment as a bit of a joke, i.e. with all that about seals since we don't know how good the seals were, anyone's guess. I wasn't denying or debating anything.

Lin 'needs to point out to court' ambient noise levels at the time are another uncertainty.

L: I need to point out a range of scenarios are possible

Nel just asked Lin: 'You're not saying witnesses are lying?'

Lin says not at all. He just doesn't know if they are correct or not.

Barry Bateman @barrybateman · 15s
#OscarTrial quite an intense meeting underway between Webber, Roux, Arnold, Oscar and Adams. BB

Hahaha. Maybe they all realise they're not getting the message they wanted the court to hear across too well because it's so scientific. Maybe they're all trying to coerce OP into giving a demo in court. That'd satisfy everyone would it not?

Nel: (to himself I think) One should never ask too many questions.

And a min later, he finishes with the witness.

Now Roux is up, asking Lin to measure ambient noise in courtroom with his machine.

Between 4--41.

R: Did the new houses (in estate) play a role in your model.

Lin says they did not.

No further questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members