Trial Discussion Thread #54 - 14.13.10, Day 43 ~ sentencing~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Catching up here...

In my view, Masipa had a legal duty to correct social worker Maringa, put the true finding of the court to Maringa (that OP intentionally fired the shots) and ask if he withdraws his recommendation.

Nel teaches children, between 3 and 6 years, wrestling in the evenings and is likely to have strong feelings about this witness' evidence.

It doesn't get more insulting does it? Unless Masipa thinks it's too harsh and reduces it to one day a month.

Yep, that's the upshot of this whole farce, and I bet you my last dollar, he still wouldn't get to clean, polish or sweep a damn thing. But he will continue chucking the tantrums like a boss. :mad:

Did I hear correctly: Maringa suggested 2 days a month cleaning a museum for 3 years? Really? I mean REALLY?

I think Nel will get his testimony thrown out as he clearly had no idea what the case was about.

In any other trial, probably, but not this one.

I've been reading all the comments recently about all the factors and evidence that would have helped the PT's case but, really, it's all been redundant. For example, given the judge decided to believe that OP fired in "quick succession" in spite of the ballistic evidence showing he aimed just because he said so , really interesting, worthwhile evidence such as the phone data would have gone straight over her head, IMO. However, it's fascinating information, Mr Fossil.

It's like judge Greenland said - she could have been shown a video of him firing shots through that door and still not convicted him of murder. This is now a farce but at least Nel is collecting good evidence of bias and general sloppiness for appeal.

I need to stop following it - can't bring myself to watch it - but for some reason I need to see this reach its inevitable conclusion. Nel knows corruption when he sees it, good on him for still fighting.

Did I hear correctly: Maringa suggested 2 days a month cleaning a museum for 3 years? Really? I mean REALLY?

I think Nel will get his testimony thrown out as he clearly had no idea what the case was about.

i don't think so. this is the case where credible witness testimony gets thrown out.

it is a courtroom, but still can't work out whether i am seeing live gross incompetence, or live unconcealed corruption.

She added: "The accused had reasonable time to think, reflect and conduct himself.

"I'm not persuaded that a reasonable person with the same disability would have fired the four shots.

"The accused knew there was a person behind the toilet door, he chose to use a firearm.
--------------------------------
And yet she still decided he didn't have intent to kill whoever was behind the door? And why didn't she include "and an experienced firearm user" in her 'reasonable person' statement?

Catching up here...

In my view, Masipa had a legal duty to correct social worker Maringa, put the true finding of the court to Maringa (that OP intentionally fired the shots) and ask if he withdraws his recommendation.

She totally ignored it, she was only interested in what chores he would do.

The bits Maringa failed to read in the judgement:

It would be absurd, for instance, to infer from the accused conduct, that he was going to hit the intruder over the head with it, as he could have easily used a cricket bat for that purpose.

The accused clearly wanted to use the firearm and the only way he could have used it was to shoot at the perceived danger. The intention to shoot however does not necessarily include the intention to kill.

Those JM words? haha, yep, I see what you did there. :D

i don't think so. this is the case where credible witness testimony gets thrown out.

it is a courtroom, but still can't work out whether i am seeing live gross incompetence, or live unconcealed corruption.

BIB : Or the latter buying the former

From the Guardian blog:

From South Africa, AFP is reporting that if Oscar Pistorius is given a sentence of house arrest, it may cause resentment:

A non-custodial sentence would be likely to spark public anger, fuelling a perception among black South Africans that, 20 years after the end of apartheid, wealthy whites can still secure preferential justice.

“At the end of the day a young lady was killed and someone should pay for it,” said 57-year-old Mildred Lekalakala, a member of the Women’s League of the ruling African National Congress.

http://www.newsweek.com/social-worker-says-pistorius-should-get-house-arrest-277014

Back onto OP's list of charity work. Page 94 now....

From the Guardian blog:

From South Africa, AFP is reporting that if Oscar Pistorius is given a sentence of house arrest, it may cause resentment:

A non-custodial sentence would be likely to spark public anger, fuelling a perception among black South Africans that, 20 years after the end of apartheid, wealthy whites can still secure preferential justice.

“At the end of the day a young lady was killed and someone should pay for it,” said 57-year-old Mildred Lekalakala, a member of the Women’s League of the ruling African National Congress.

yes and the whole world is watching!

Alex Crawford@AlexCrawfordSky#OscarTrial

Steenkamp (civil) lawyer was spotted during break having long chat with Barry Roux, the athlete's lawyer

VZ: A photographer wanted to use Mr P for orphaned boys.....a young girl received all this product from Nike on behalf of Mr Pistorius.....Tanzania he was working with kids on HIV awareness....

Witness laughing at his own mistake then

Oh, and the importance of getting your eyes tested charity work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members