Trial Discussion Thread #59 - 14.21.10, Day 48 ~ sentencing~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Websleuthers,

first post from a long time lurker from germany . . . following up the trial from almost the beginning

WHAT a suspense in court today !!!

I don't consider this sentence appropriate in any sense and really hope the state will appeal. Also doubt it will bring much closure to the Steenkamps - they will never get the truth, let alone see Reeva go on with her life, hold her in their arms again.

Whatever, the crux of the case is that Masipa believed this liar and disgrace of a man in the first place. IMO it's unbearable if this verdict would stand, unbearable for every women in SA who is murdered by her partner, which is one woman every 8 hours. State MUST appeal !:maddening:

PS. ... pls forgive any poor english wording as it is not my native language . . .
PP.S. Great community with great minds and hearts, and amazing work done by all posters here. Don't know why I waited so long . . . :seeya:

fom Guardian:
My colleague Owen Gibson, the Guardian’s chief sports correspondent, confirms that Pistorius will be banned from athletics competitions until 2019:

An International Paralympic Committee spokesman confirmed that Pistorius, the first athlete to compete in both the Olympics and Paralympics in London in 2012, would be banned from the Rio Games even if he had been released on licence by that point.

The IPC said that under its rules he would be banned from competition for the full five years unless he appealed and his sentence was formally reduced. His family have said there will not be any appeal.

‘The rules state that if someone is given a five-year sentence by a court, they must serve that sentence before returning to competition,’ an IPC spokesman told the Guardian.

The 27-year-old South African will be 33 by the time of the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics in 2020 but it is debatable whether he will be in any shape to compete by then. There will also be a question mark over whether he will be able to travel freely to some countries having been convicted of culpable homicide.

Question? Will he be allowed to have his blades while in jail?

He will be allowed his legs. No mention of blades. Defense made a plea that he should not go to prison at all, in case someone stole them.

Good Night all, its almost 7AM here & I have not been to bed yet. Thought Reeva's parents were going to give a interview, nothing so far, and just read the last post here. Happy Oscar was given prison time, not enough, BUT murder by the hot-head was ruled out. Today I will be making myself a delicious dinner of CROW, soooooooo sure he'd walk. I will enjoy my crow dinner knowing Oscar is in prison. Nice to get to know all of you and learned and/or enjoyed your comments. Bless (hope ok) you and take care...later.

Hi Websleuthers,

first post from a long time lurker from germany . . . following up the trial from almost the beginning

WHAT a suspense in court today !!!

I don't consider this sentence appropriate in any sense and really hope the state will appeal. Also doubt it will bring much closure to the Steenkamps - they will never get the truth, let alone see Reeva go on with her life, hold her in their arms again.

Whatever, the crux of the case is that Masipa believed this liar and disgrace of a man in the first place. IMO it's unbearable if this verdict would stand, unbearable for every women in SA who is murdered by her partner, which is one woman every 8 hours. State MUST appeal !:maddening:

PS. ... pls forgive any poor english wording as it is not my native language . . .
PP.S. Great community with great minds and hearts, and amazing work done by all posters here. Don't know why I waited so long . . . :seeya:

Welcome neighbour!

I'd imagine he'd get whatever prosthetic attachments he needed for the duration and if he's doing exercise or training, he'd probably get the blades to assist him.

I was just wondering. He's already proved that he cannot control his temper. Wouldn't those be considered weapons?

Question? Will he be allowed to have his blades while in jail?

Thats a good question.

Putting on my prosecuting hat for a minute (and to try to give him a form of punishment for his crime), I think they could make the argument that they should be withheld because:

-OP could use them as a weapon on another inmate
-OP could use them to commit suicide by sharpening them and slicing his own throat
-OP could use them to try to escape by jumping up to a window

I really do wonder whether he will be allowed to have them. Maybe just a wheelchair is appropriate.

I am listening to a rebroadcast of the verdict and the discussion with Nel after, regarding Oscar not being allowed to own weapons. Judge Masipa seemed to me to:

1: Forget all about that

2: Be totally confused, thinking that would just happen 'automatically' without any action by her?

http://ewn.co.za/Features/oscarpistorius/live-audio

fom Guardian:
My colleague Owen Gibson, the Guardian’s chief sports correspondent, confirms that Pistorius will be banned from athletics competitions until 2019:

An International Paralympic Committee spokesman confirmed that Pistorius, the first athlete to compete in both the Olympics and Paralympics in London in 2012, would be banned from the Rio Games even if he had been released on licence by that point.

The IPC said that under its rules he would be banned from competition for the full five years unless he appealed and his sentence was formally reduced. His family have said there will not be any appeal.

‘The rules state that if someone is given a five-year sentence by a court, they must serve that sentence before returning to competition,’ an IPC spokesman told the Guardian.

The 27-year-old South African will be 33 by the time of the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics in 2020 but it is debatable whether he will be in any shape to compete by then. There will also be a question mark over whether he will be able to travel freely to some countries having been convicted of culpable homicide.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out he's taken up archery for his career choice when he comes out. He won't be getting all those motivation speaker jobs Van Zyl kept harping on about. An offender whose served time and doesn't show remorse is quite different from one whose accepted their fate and only done community service.

Thats a good question.

Putting on my prosecuting hat for a minute (and to try to give him a form of punishment for his crime), I think they could make the argument that they should be withheld because:

-OP could use them as a weapon on another inmate
-OP could use them to commit suicide by sharpening them and slicing his own throat
-OP could use them to try to escape by jumping up to a window

I really do wonder whether he will be allowed to have them. Maybe just a wheelchair is appropriate.

I think they'd be stolen almost immediately by another inmate, and made into an extremely dangerous scythe-type weapon.

What hopes of OP getting a visa to visit the US or UK or Australia/NZ, with his conviction?

I was just wondering. He's already proved that he cannot control his temper. Wouldn't those be considered weapons?

I know from personally dating a guy who had a hook attachment that it could only be taken off him if it was used as a weapon if he went to prison but until that would happen, he was entitled to use whatever attachment he needed so even though this was in the UK, the prison official from SA stated OP would be catered for. His blades are what he requires for training so I'd fully expect him to be given them for that purpose.

An appeal by the state would make Oscar's time in jail even more uncomfortable, wouldn't it?

He'd have a nagging thought in the back of his mind the whole time that he could be there for 15 years.

I'd imagine he'd get whatever prosthetic attachments he needed for the duration and if he's doing exercise or training, he'd probably get the blades to assist him.

I believe Modisa, National Correctional Services who gave evidence about the prison system will make it his business to see that OP is well looked after in all respects. At the very least he will want the public to see that the system is humane, and that he is doing his job. I wonder if he will also have any say about when OP is released, as with all the publicity and public interest, I would guess he'll be very happy to see OP out of there asap.

Uncle Arnold is a truly disgraceful man.

Firstly, his little speech only made a passing reference to the Steenkamps (who he has no business speaking on behalf of anyway) - the rest of it was one long complaint about the way Pistorius was prosecuted.

Reeva is dead, through no fault of her own. Do this family not even consider her worthy enough of a court case? Isn't the very least her killer ought to be willing to do is stand up in front of South Africa and explain his despicable actions?

Every time any member of this sinister bunch open their mouths they make me hate them more.

An appeal by the state would make Oscar's time in jail even more uncomfortable, wouldn't it?

He'd have a nagging thought in the back of his mind the whole time that he could be there for 15 years.

Like the thought of it :crazy:
I'm not into vengeance, but the picture of him walking free in 10 month is SO sickening and SO saddening for her family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsHansford24