GUILTY TRIAL OF CHAD DAYBELL CHARGED WITH MURDER OF JJ VALLOW, TYLEE RYAN AND TAMMY DAYBELL #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No polling of individual jurors for the findings of guilty.
No presentation of mitigating factors before the deliberations relevant to the DP.
No allocution before the deliberations relevant to the DP.
No polling of individual jurors for the findings relevant to the DP.

JP seemed to have surrendered after giving it his all through the point of ending his closing statement. Why?
Here’s my post from earlier this morning that gives my thoughts on why…but please note someone thought I was comparing CD to Jesus…my intent was to suggest he was comparing himself to Jesus - just wanted to clear that up…

Good Morning Fellow WSers,

I am hoping that the jury reaches a decision early in the day and can go home to their families and friends and finally talk with people they love about what they have seen and heard and all the feelings & emotions they have had throughout this trial. And those alternates…gosh to still not be able to talk even with each other! I hope they all have good support systems at home and are allowed to decompress at their own paces.

I also hope that whatever they decide the jury is able to come to an agreement rather than return with one or two or a few hold outs. I know that the Judge can and will sentence CD to multiple LWOP sentences if the jury is unable to come to a unanimous decision but for the jury’s sake, I hope they are able to reach a unanimous decision whatever that decision is. I think it will benefit them if they can come away from this knowing that every juror felt the same way. But if they don’t then I hope that they will all support one another’s views and hold on to the bond they have of this shared experience and not let differing views cause ill feelings amongst them.

Hoping for a decision soon but patient enough to want them to have all the time they need.

Thought I would feel glad but strangely I am just feeling sad and empty inside.
Same. But if he got LWOP with all the aggravating factors present, I would probably be somewhat upset. If murdering children doesn't get you death, I don't know what does. Lori had a lucky escape, because Idaho doesn't play.

Here’s my post from earlier this morning that gives my thoughts on why…but please note someone thought I was comparing CD to Jesus…my intent was to suggest he was comparing himself to Jesus - just wanted to clear that up…

Yep, Jesus didn't defend himself from execution, so neither will he. He thinks he's a martyr, he's above it all.

I feel stunned.

I'm not in support of the death penalty, but it is the Idaho law. If I were on the jury, I'd fill out every answer as they did on that form. I'd have to impose death.

Even though I'm against execution, part of me wishes it could be soon. I feel like two lives he has completely destroyed without committing murder are the lives of his oldest children. Letting them lie like that on the stand for him- grrrr. I feel like they could regain their identities sooner if Chad were just extinguished.

MOO
It's up to his children to get on the road to the truth and start healing as opposed to continuing to blindly defend their father. They did not commit murder. They have options. I hope they come around.

<modsnip>
He didn’t even bother with sheepskin, he decided who was dark, gone, irredeemable, doomed. I wonder, deep inside, does he really and truly believe it, or does he know his wife is (thus far) the one who played it better?
IMO etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll say it. Why? At this point, is Chad's life one way or the other worth wasting a weekend over? Just draw lots or have a secret ballot vote and be done with it.
This is unfair to the jurors.
Here in Canada, a case I jurored on also involving a child and a triple murder, each individual juror made their own private sentence reccomendation. Asking jurors to make this decision is too much, IMO. They've done more than enough and the visuals alone will be with them for the rest of their lives. Let judge Boyce make the ultimate choice on this.
From what I gathered from watching the sentencing this morning the judge made the ultimate choice. The jury answered 2 questions for each murder count. First, were any statutory aggravating factors present. Second, did any mitigating factors make imposition of the death penalty unjust. Judge Boyce then imposed the death penalty based on those jury conclusions.

I am not a lawyer or an expert on court proceedings but I think there is a lot of variation in details among US states and the way things work in Canada has a great deal of overlap.

Unfortunately this may not end up being the case, as death penalty cases generally drag on for years or decades.

From an article by NPR about the death penalty in Idaho,

"The Idaho Supreme Court automatically reviews each death penalty sentence imposed by trial courts. This is separate from any appeal that may be filed by the defendant.

During both the Idaho Supreme Court review and any pending appeal, the death sentence is temporarily suspended.

The lengthy appeals process has contributed to the steady increase in the time it takes for a state to carry out an execution after the initial sentence.

The Death Penalty Information Center found death row inmates typically spend more than 10 years waiting for their execution or for a court to overturn their death sentence. It also reports more than half of death row inmates in America have been there for more than 18 years."

source: How the death penalty works in Idaho
I hope I live to hear the news of Chad's execution. I'm not THAT old but the last time I followed a death penalty case was in the early 80s. It took Arizona about 35 years to execute Frank Jarvis Atwood for the rape and murder of 8 year old Vicki Lynne Hoskinson. I hope it doesn't take that long with Chad.

Unfortunately this may not end up being the case, as death penalty cases generally drag on for years or decades.

From an article by NPR about the death penalty in Idaho,

"The Idaho Supreme Court automatically reviews each death penalty sentence imposed by trial courts. This is separate from any appeal that may be filed by the defendant.

During both the Idaho Supreme Court review and any pending appeal, the death sentence is temporarily suspended.

The lengthy appeals process has contributed to the steady increase in the time it takes for a state to carry out an execution after the initial sentence.

The Death Penalty Information Center found death row inmates typically spend more than 10 years waiting for their execution or for a court to overturn their death sentence. It also reports more than half of death row inmates in America have been there for more than 18 years."

source: How the death penalty works in Idaho
Not making any reference to Idaho or state or other law there, but in some death penalty cases there are exceptions on how long the final judgment might take.

See for example, the Delaware case of Steven Pennell. A few details in this October 28, 2020 Delaware Today article by Jeff Mordock entitled “Route 40 Serial Killer Remains an Enigma After Convicted 30 Years Ago”:

Route 40 Serial Killer Remains an Enigma After Convicted 30 Years Ago

It seems the Idaho process is designed to help the jury understand it is the murderer who sent himself to death row not the jury who simply could not find any reason to intervene and spare his life.

Well, the statutes also sent the person to death.

The State decided what certain crimes and aggravating factors, balanced with mitigations, bring on the death penalty.

The same crimes, convictions and determinations about aggravations and mitigations would not lead to death in every US state, nor in every nation.

MOO

It's up to his children to get on the road to the truth and start healing as opposed to continuing to blindly defend their father. They did not commit murder. They have options. I hope they come around.
You're right.

They are autonomous humans.

Chads fate can't force them in any particular direction.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member