trial recipe thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bette's Best Baked Beans

4 15oz. cans assorted beans, rinsed and drained (I use a combination of two or more of the following: dark/light red kidney beans, cannellini beans, black beans, butter beans, garbanzos)
1/2 pound bacon (about 8 slices)
1 large sweet onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup prepared mustard
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup

In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Drain well; reserve drippings. Lightly crumble bacon. Saute onion in bacon drippings until translucent. Add garlic and cook for about a minute. Stir in brown sugar, ketchup, mustard, vinegar, and maple syrup and cook over medium heat until bubbly and thick. Gently stir in the beans until they are well-coated. Add bacon. Transfer to bean pot or casserole dish and bake at 350* for about an hour until beans are tender. Stir occasionally to make sure that beans are well-coated; add more ketchup or maple syrup if beans seem dry. Serves 8-10.

Anyone have an easy homemade fried chicken recipe?

Heaven in a Crockpot

1 box Betty Crocker fudge brownie mix
1/2 cup butter, melted.
4 eggs
1 pouch Betty Crocker chocolate chip cookie mix

Mix it all together.
Cook about 3 hours on low.
Top with vanilla ice cream.

I try to eat healthy, but this just looked too easy and good for the days when we need comfort food that's easy!! Found on FB at centsablecouponlady - haven't tried it but looks really yummy..

etsI just love this thread! And I am learning from it. I had never heard of Panko, had to look it up. I see that Progresso makes it, so I will look for it.

My cooking background tends to be German/Scandinavian influenced rather than Asian or Tex/Mex. But I do like to try new things.

Questions: KZ, I like the sound of your crockpot meatballs. I have never purchased packaged frozen meatballs, so don't know what to look for. Any specific brand names that are good? What should I be looking for? 100% beef or a combination of beef and another meat?

In general: While I use my crockpot for meats, stews, etc. I have never used it for anything that would fall into the category of baking. The recipe with the brownie mix and the cookie dough mix, does that end up as a cake or what? (Don't have any idea what the "what" would be!) In any case, if a cake, how does it come out of the crockpot?

Thanks so much. Here is a thick, rich Broccoli-Cheese soup I made for dinner tonight. Delicious!

CAN’T MESS IT UP BROCCOLI-CHEESE SOUP
This hearty soup is delicious and fairly quick and easy to make. It is a thick soup, suitable for use inside a “bread bowl” if desired.
1 32 oz. container Chicken broth
2 cans Cream of Celery soup
1 soup can whole milk
2 tablespoons butter
1 large package frozen broccoli
1 8 oz. package shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
2 carrots, sliced very, very thin (or equivalent but I like to use fresh)
2 medium onions, sliced longways
1 rounded teaspoon minced garlic (I used jarred type)
Ground black pepper (Heavy on the pepper unless you just hate it.)
Salt to taste - Due to salt already in the canned soups, I don't add salt during cooking. Best to taste soup after it has cooled down some and see what you think.

1.) Melt butter in soup pot on medium/low heat.
2.) Add onions, carrots, and garlic. Increase heat to medium. Cook 5-7 minutes, stirring about every one minute. ( Can add another lump of butter if needed.)
3.) Reduce heat to low. Dump half of chicken broth over vegetables in pot. Use wooden spoon to stir, scraping up any bits stuck to bottom of pot.
4.) Add frozen broccoli, cover and cook 5 minutes on low heat. After 5min. if you have used whole florets, use kitchen shears to reach in and cut florets into bite sized pieces. Then add remainder of chicken broth, over and cook another 10 minutes.
5.) Keeping heat on low, stir in two jars cream of celery soup. (No substitutes on this or you won’t get the best taste. Wonder how I know that!)
6.) Dump shredded cheddar cheese in, stirring it in.
7.) Add pepper and one soup can of milk.
8.) Cook on very low heat for 15 minutes. DO NOT ALLOW THIS TO BOIL!
9.) Remove pot from heat source and allow to cool down for flavors to develop.

Can serve with favorite flavored croutons or with hot, crunchy bread.

etsI just love this thread! And I am learning from it. I had never heard of Panko, had to look it up. I see that Progresso makes it, so I will look for it.

My cooking background tends to be German/Scandinavian influenced rather than Asian or Tex/Mex. But I do like to try new things.

Questions: KZ, I like the sound of your crockpot meatballs. I have never purchased packaged frozen meatballs, so don't know what to look for. Any specific brand names that are good? What should I be looking for? 100% beef or a combination of beef and another meat?

In general: While I use my crockpot for meats, stews, etc. I have never used it for anything that would fall into the category of baking. The recipe with the brownie mix and the cookie dough mix, does that end up as a cake or what? (Don't have any idea what the "what" would be!) In any case, if a cake, how does it come out of the crockpot?

Thanks so much. Here is a thick, rich Broccoli-Cheese soup I made for dinner tonight. Delicious!

This hearty soup is delicious and fairly quick and easy to make. It is a thick soup, suitable for use inside a “bread bowl” if desired.
1 soup can whole milk
2 tablespoons butter
Salt to taste - Due to salt already in the canned soups, I don't add salt during cooking. Best to taste soup after it has cooled down some and see what you think.

2.) Add onions, carrots, and garlic. Increase heat to medium. Cook 5-7 minutes, stirring about every one minute. ( Can add another lump of butter if needed.)
3.) Reduce heat to low. Dump half of chicken broth over vegetables in pot. Use wooden spoon to stir, scraping up any bits stuck to bottom of pot.
4.) Add frozen broccoli, cover and cook 5 minutes on low heat. After 5min. if you have used whole florets, use kitchen shears to reach in and cut florets into bite sized pieces. Then add remainder of chicken broth, over and cook another 10 minutes.
5.) Keeping heat on low, stir in two jars cream of celery soup. (No substitutes on this or you won’t get the best taste. Wonder how I know that!)

Yum! Thanks for sharing! Cooking is one of my weaknesses!

Easiest Recipe ever.... Nope, don't have a name for it, but it is delicious!

2 Chicken Breasts in the crock pot

1 jar of your favorite salsa

1 Can of black beans.

Put the chicken and salsa in the crock pot. Cook the crap out of it, until you can shred the chicken. Add the black beans.

You can serve over rice. Delish! OR you can be really energetic, and wrap it in tortillas, cover with some enchilada sauce and cheese and bake until the cheese is melted!

:)

I've made your recipe twice now. The first time my salsa was too mild, but boy was it good! The next time I used some leftover grilled chicken that I sliced and threw in the pot and I used kidney beans. We wrapped them up like burritos with rice, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and sour cream. Yum.
This is a really easy and great recipe! Thanks!

Here's a tip for you that my Mexican buddies use:
When making Mexican rice, add a pack of Sazon Goya con culantro y achiote (Walmart has it) and some chopped onions that you've sauteed in butter. It turns the rice orange and makes it really pretty.
If you have a gas cooktop, heat your flour tortillas right on the grate over the open flame. Watch them close so the don't burn.

1 soup can whole milk
2 tablespoons butter

Hi Always Shocked, I haven't made the brownie/cookie concoction yet but I imagine it would come out like a cobbler in a way - the picture (which I do not know how to upload) looked like one, and that's why you top it with vanilla ice cream. If you go to the page on Facebook I mentioned, you can see it there. Wish I had found it during the trial, it would have cooked in my smaller crockpot while I was using the other one!

Your soup looks good!

I found a recipe on-line for Weight Watcher's Mushroom-Walnut Sauce and modified it. Made it today and it came out really great if you like mushrooms you will like this one.

MUSHROOM-WALNUT SAUCE for pasta [ vegan ]

You make a mushroom broth, which is then used in the sauce. So, start with the broth:

2 cups water
1/3 cup dried mushrooms (no need to reconstitute first - i used porcini )
1 chopped celery rib
1 chopped carrot
1 bay leaf
a couple of shakes of dried thyme (sorry, didn't measure)
1 veg broth cube
1/2 tsp whole peppercorns

Add everything together and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer the broth for 30-40 minutes. The pot should be covered while simmering. Remove from heat, strain into bowl, extract the bay leaf.

Next is the sauce.

1 portobello mushroom, diced - I used a package of small mushrooms

1 small diced onion
2 chopped garlic cloves
2-3 Tbsp water
3/4 cup shelled walnuts, toasted
couple splashes wine
1-1/2 Tbsp tamari [ soy sauce ] or use Braggs

In a saute pan, saute the onion for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another 2 minutes. Add the diced portobello or other mushrooms. Stir the mushrooms until they start to caramelize. You may need to raise the heat a bit. Add water (start with 2 Tbsp and add the third if it evaporates too quickly). Cover and simmer for 15 minutes (until the mushrooms become tender).

Pour the walnuts into vitamix. Add one cup of the mushroom broth and mix until smooth. Pour into sauce. Add the rest of the broth to the

vitamix container and whirl it around so that you get the rest of the walnut cream. Then pour it all into the sauce.

Now take the solids you strained from the broth and blend those in the vitamix with some of the liquid from the sauce.

add this back into the sauce.

Add soy sauce. Bring sauce to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce is thickened to your liking.

Now the pasta:

1/2 pound whole wheat pasta (I used fusilli)

Boil pasta with salted water. Drain pasta when done, toss with sauce, and garnish with remaining walnuts.

BettyDavisEyes: I made your Parmesan Chicken Breast recipe. Absolutely delicious!

Also, I found frozen meatballs at my Walmart Supercenter Market. They are mostly beef but with some pork. I bought a package of the plain and a package of the Italian. Tomorrow I am going to make the Kikomon sauce meatballs.

Oh, and I got large fully cooked, frozen shrimp with tails on. I am going to use the recipe where you marinade them in Italian dressing.

I got a small pork roast but forgot to get the cherry coke!

How about everyone's favorite meatloaf recipe?

Apple Dumplings

Ingredients
2 Granny Smith apples
1 lemon
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 canned buttermilk biscuits
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Peel, core and slice the apples vertically into 8 slices each. Squeeze the lemon into a bowl of water and add the apple slices to keep from turning brown.

In a medium saucepan, mix 1 cup water, 3/4 cup of the sugar, the butter and vanilla. Bring the sugar mixture to a boil over medium heat.

Separate each biscuit into 2 layers. Wrap a biscuit layer around a slice of apple, stretching the biscuit slightly to overlap, and seal on the bottom. Place the wrapped slices, sealed-side down, in a 9- by 12- by 2-inch casserole dish. Pour the hot sugar mixture over the apple slices. Mix the remaining 1/4 cup sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle the mixture over the tops of the wrapped apples. Bake until golden brown, 35 minutes.

Hi everyone - My oldest brother was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I've got my other brother (he's 62 and a few years younger than my oldest brother) calling me for recipes since he will be caring for him and cooking for him for a while. He doesn't have his computer with him so I did some research and called him a while ago and gave him the basics. If anyone has any EASY recipes for diabetics, it would be greatly appreciated - I know he loves Cal-Mex and Fish

:seeya:

Oven Meatball Stew

Meatballs:

1 lb ground beef
1 egg
1/4 c milk
1/4 c cornmeal
1/4 c fine chopped onion
1 1/2 tspn ground mustard
1 tspn salt
1 tspn chili powder
1 tspn oregano
2 tspn minced garlic

Sauce & Veggies

1/4 c flour
2 c tomato sauce
1 c water or broth
1 onion, sliced
3 medium potatoes, cubed
8 carrots, sliced

Combine meatball ingredients and form into meatballs (I used a 1/4 or 1/3 measuring cup to scoop a good size meatball).
Brown meatballs in oil, (just a good sear on the outsides for color & flavor). If you have a dutch oven, just use that for this step because it will all go in the oven for the "stewing"
Remove meatballs and set aside, leaving all liquid in the pan.
Whisk flour into pan fluids, making a roux. Whisk water and tomato sauce into the roux, add meatballs and all veggies.
If necessary transfer to casserole dish with a lid. Cover and bake 1 hour at 350.

TexMex: Oh my gosh, that recipe for apple dumplings sounds so unique. I will absolutely HAVE to try it. The only way I've known to make them is to use a whole peeled, cored apple and then use rolled pastry dough cut into a circle and wrapped around the apple! I would have never thought of using the biscuits for this, but definitely will be trying it.

Re: Cooking for a diabetic diet - I have NO experience along these lines. They must avoid sugar, right? What else must they avoid?

One thing I will say, if they like fish, purchase a "Simple Cooking for Microwaves" type of cookbook for him. Once you learn to properly cook fish in the microwave you'll never cook it any other way. It really turns out well.

I have also had very good success in cooking a half turkey breast in the microwave. You first make a brown sauce of melted butter, poultry seasoning, and a browning agent like "Gravy Master" and brush it all over to give it color.

On any meat or fish cooked in the microwave, you really, really need to have a cookbook due to needing to note the weight of what you are cooking and then determining the correct time and temperature. You have to be precise. But things do turn out well. Not all meats, for sure, but fish and poultry do just fine.

Thanks for the great recipes! I can alter them so I am able to eat them....well my husband can cook them as he has taken over cooking since retirement. He really gets tired of the same old food, BLAND he tells me, so some recipes, like the meatball one will be great....oh I am allergic to foods with suflur in them, either added or natural...so like onions are either omitted or reduced greatly and garlic is an avoided item...or he makes me the same dish on the side while he makes the original recipes for the family. We make it work.

Again thanks so much! Will keep checking in! :seeya:

I need ideas fast!! We are having family over for lunch today and had planned on making hot beef sammiches (think Arby's roast beef) but turns out, the guy we get the meat from doesn't sell it anymore.

Anyone have any ideas/options for something similar? I need to feed about 25 people on the cheap. This is a celebration for my son so it has to be something he likes. I would do sloppy joes, quick and easy, but he doesn't like that stuff.

Help!

I need ideas fast!! We are having family over for lunch today and had planned on making hot beef sammiches (think Arby's roast beef) but turns out, the guy we get the meat from doesn't sell it anymore.

Anyone have any ideas/options for something similar? I need to feed about 25 people on the cheap. This is a celebration for my son so it has to be something he likes. I would do sloppy joes, quick and easy, but he doesn't like that stuff.

Help!

Morning Hopeful!

When we do our home version of Chicago style Italian beef sammies, I go to Wally world and have them slice the rarest roast beef as thin as they can and use that...

Sent from my LG Spirit using Tapatalk 2

Morning Hopeful!

When we do our home version of Chicago style Italian beef sammies, I go to Wally world and have them slice the rarest roast beef as thin as they can and use that...

How do you season it?

:tyou:

How do you season it?

:tyou:

I mix up a thinish beef gravy and add Italian seasoning and garlic(I use a no sodium broth) season it till it tastes good to you. I saute some onions and mushrooms on the side, and we like cheese on them to :D

To build the sammich:

Drop the roast beef in the hot gravy (thats why it has to be on the rare side, so it doesn't overcook).

Then put it on a hard roll, then dunk the whole thing in the gravy again.

Add your toppings, onions, mushrooms, cheese, horseradish, etc...

Mmmmmm, somewhat messy, but oh so good!

Now I know what we're having for dinner tonight :p

Oh...the cheating way for the gravy...mix up a jar of gravy with 1/2 the amount of broth just keep adding them up till you have enough!

I mix up a thinish beef gravy and add Italian seasoning and garlic(I use a no sodium broth) season it till it tastes good to you. I saute some onions and mushrooms on the side, and we like cheese on them to :D

To build the sammich:

Drop the roast beef in the hot gravy (thats why it has to be on the rare side, so it doesn't overcook).

Then put it on a hard roll, then dunk the whole thing in the gravy again.

Add your toppings, onions, mushrooms, cheese, horseradish, etc...

Mmmmmm, somewhat messy, but oh so good!

Now I know what we're having for dinner tonight :p

Oh...the cheating way for the gravy...mix up a jar of gravy with 1/2 the amount of broth just keep adding them up till you have enough!

To add to this. The way I do mine, is make a sandwich, half it, put mashed potatoes in the center and pour brown gravy over the entire meal. Yummy!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back