Trial - Ross Harris #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your child being kidnapped by a sexual predator is your biggest fear.

Because it is out of your control.

So why would a parent say their biggest fear was them forgetting their kid was in a hot car for 8hrs.

Sounds like bull crap to me.

I used to worry about accidentally leaving my daughter in the car when she was younger. I used to put my purse in the back seat so I always had to turn around to get it. Now that she is an a booster and can open the door herself, I don't do the purse thing, but I still find myself looking into the backseat almost every time I get out of the car. It's almost automatic, even when she isn't in the car, I still find myself looking.

But I agree with you. I worried about forgetting her in the car, but kidnapping by a sexual predator was (and still is) my worst fear.

Her friend's sister is a juror on the case. I asked if they are allowed to tell people while they are still serving. I have no idea for sure. I'm a worry wart.. As long as they didn't discuss the trial I'm sure this is fine right? Is the jury sequestered?

Also, the jury have been shown a few times in error, the person could have seen her sister that way.

Had a wee chuckle at your reason to edit last post. Don't feel too bad, I'd to edit the same word three times the other day. To be fair 'work' is really hard to spell. :rolleyes:

A lot of work involved in the Charge to the jury. I always feel for juries, but especially at that stage.

Your child being kidnapped by a sexual predator is your biggest fear.

RSBM

That isn't even in the top 10 for me, honestly. It really is a rare thing to occur.

Most of my "top fears" are things that kid dying in a car accident, getting hit by a car while playing, etc.

How about a $5 mirror from Walmart so you can see your baby?!!

I know right. My oldest is 15 and we had one even back then...then my 10 year old came along and they were even bigger and better. I would imagine it's a pretty standard baby item IMO- maybe not...I'm sure all the naysayers will chime in they didn't have one or never needed it LOL. It was standard for ME and my kids. Didn't really put much thought into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put their shoe in the back. Keep a teddy bear in the seat and when you buckle your child in, the bear goes in the front seat. Put your phone in the back seat, briefcase/purse, etc. All of the things that are talked about in news stories. Like stories LH said they have watched.

No way would Ross put his phone in the backseat. He needed it for sexting :angel: Didn't he keep his briefcase, laptop, etc. on the passenger seat or floor? Guess Ross didn't heed the admonitions :rolleyes:

What might such precautions have been? The photos of Cooper's arrival at daycare served as a source of notification for some months. Perhaps they should have continued the practice. I suppose LAA could have notified parents if a child was expected to be there but wasn't. I think some vehicle manufacturers are considering some type of warning signal when someone remains in a parked car. What else could parents do to insure they don't leave a child in the car?

My son and his wife have a simple solution. BabiesRus have a mirror that attaches to the rear view mirror and it can see the car seat---which has another little mirror that attaches to the car seat---and it shows the baby's face. You can see if your baby is happy, sleeping, crying, choking, etc...just by glancing in the rear view mirror. No way you can forget your child is there.

This is JMO, but I think the car seat position was close enough to see.

Very true. With the mirror you could see them when they were infants and see their face dead on- obviously cooper was big enough to turn his head etc. I just never removed mine until they were turned around.

Very true. With the mirror you could see them when they were infants and see their face dead on- obviously cooper was big enough to turn his head etc. I just never removed mine until they were turned around.

Same here. I honestly thought mirrors like that are pretty standard for parents.

No way would Ross put his phone in the backseat. He needed it for sexting :angel: Didn't he keep his briefcase, laptop, etc. on the passenger seat or floor? Guess Ross didn't heed the admonitions :rolleyes:

Ah...didn't think about that!

Same here. I honestly thought mirrors like that are pretty standard for parents.

You'd think that if a 10 dollar mirror could prevent your biggest fear from coming true, one would have bought one and used it.

HA just posted the same thing. It was standard for me- and I didn't put much thought into it.

What might such precautions have been? The photos of Cooper's arrival at daycare served as a source of notification for some months. Perhaps they should have continued the practice. I suppose LAA could have notified parents if a child was expected to be there but wasn't. I think some vehicle manufacturers are considering some type of warning signal when someone remains in a parked car. What else could parents do to insure they don't leave a child in the car?

I suppose if that was my worst fear then I might talk to Cooper's teachers at daycare and ask that they contact me or my husband if Cooper isn't brought in and neither parent had called. Or try the shoe trick. Or the stuffed animal trick. I dunno, it just seems like one of them would have come up with something to help their memory if it was their worst fear.

BTW, in interviews with Dr. Diamond he contends that there is really only one way to prevent hot car deaths and that is to mandate that car manufacturers install safety measures in all their cars. And apparently we may soon be seeing safety measures:

Under the Hot Cars Act of 2016, all new passenger vehicles would need to be equipped with technology to alert drivers if a child is left in the backseat.
"When we have a technology to solve a problem, then we have to push it out into the private sector," Ryan said.

This summer, General Motors said it will install a warning a tone and reminder message in the speedometer of all 2017 Acadias that says "Look in Rear Seat." GM plans to introduce the feature on other four-door GM models in the future.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/16/us/hot-car-deaths/

Note: AFAIK the act has not yet passed.

I mentioned a few threads back that my daughter's SUV has a new software update that includes a "max temperature" feature. I think she has to enable it (I'm not sure) but once it's active the car opens vents and turns on the a/c if the interior temp reaches 105 degrees F and will keep it from going higher for about 12 hours or until the battery is down to 20%.

It's sad that we need to pass laws in order to help parents remember their little ones but heck, if it helps prevent even one death I guess it's worth it.

How about a $5 mirror from Walmart so you can see your baby?!!

But he could see his baby...while driving...when Cooper was dead...when he changed lanes? Just must not have ever turned his head to the right even the little-bittiest while driving from CFA to work, I guess. I suppose when making a U-turn, he looked left, then left, then left again? Just crossed his fingers, closed his eyes and hoped for no oncoming traffic? :waiting:

Interesting about the warning tone in the newer cars- with a reminder message. Even Walmart asks me when I self checkout to look at my cart to see if I forgot to scan something. And even though I never have forgotten anything I always look before I press OK!

Leave a shoe in the back seat.
Take a second look. Ross was aware of options but did neither!

I also get extremely frustrated when I see RH's comment online about the dog death video "id hate it if that happened to my kid"
What? How about I would be devastated if that was my kid?? "I'd hate it if I stubbed my toe".

IMO none of those things would have helped cooper that day- because I think he did it on purpose. He even said himself he forgot to take the "second look". So had he been putting his bag in the back he probably would have said I forgot to do that today- all my opinion. Just don't believe this accident if it's your greatest fear and you don't do anything to prevent it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member