DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The man and his Pomeranian were killed.

Valentin Herrera, 76, was walking his dog, a 5-year-old Pomeranian named Dodger, in Lincoln Heights, Los Angeles. They were attacked on Thursday at about 5:44 p.m., at a block from Herrera’s house, according to a report by CBS News.

http://www.crimeonline.com/2017/03/02/pit-bulls-attack-76-year-old-california-man-dead/

This makes me so angry. WTH PEOPLE? WHY WHY WHY do you need TWO PIT BULLS and why do you let them out to run wild?

I have a feeling these types of attacks are made by male dogs who have not been neutered.

Does anyone know if there are any statistics that show whether a dog was fixed when it attacked?

The father of three and grandfather of seven was walking his own dog, a five-year-old Pomeranian named Dodger, when the two canines attacked just a block from his house, CBS Los Angeles reported.

'They just attacked him. Just like that. They didn't even growl or nothing. One jumped on the man, and the other one came out of the yard and jumped on the man and knocked the man down,' Frank Carrasco told the network.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4273766/California-man-dies-attacked-dogs.html

Another witness who spoke with KTLA on condition of anonymity said the pit bulls' owner was nearby at the time of the attack and eventually sought to corral the dogs.

http://fox6now.com/2017/02/05/74-ye...o-help-his-pomeranian-which-was-ripped-apart/

I didn't find any statistics showing whether neutering a dog has an effect on aggressiveness, but according to the ASPCA:

Although neutering your pet often reduces undesirable behaviors caused by a higher level of testosterone, there’s no guarantee that your dog’s behavior will change after he’s neutered. Although the surgery will reduce the amount of testosterone in your dog’s system, it won’t eliminate the hormone completely. Neutering will also not reduce behaviors that your pet has earned or that have become habitual. The effects of neutering are largely dependent on your dog’s individual personality, physiology and history.
Read more at ... http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/general-pet-care/spayneuter-your-pet

This makes me so angry. This poor man was just out enjoying the sunshine walking his little dog. Loose dogs are a huge problem! I belong to a greyhound adoption group (retired racers) and so many in our group have been attacked. We feel the need to arm ourselves on walks with things like pepper spray, mace, a stun gun or baton. Dog owners who are not responsible enough to keep their dogs on a leash when not in a fenced yard should have serious charges brought against them. IMO I'm heartbroken and angry as a hornet over this!!

Poor Valentin and his poor little doggo.
:tantrum:

This makes me so sad, both for Mr. Herrera and for all the sweet pit bulls with responsible owners who will now have one more reason for people to dislike them. The owner should face manslaughter charges.

I'm sickened and outraged. There's no reason for these dog attacks to happen when they are so easily preventable. And a lawsuit? What about criminal charges against the owner. And these dogs need to be euthanized. Once they've done this once, chances are they'll do it again. No different than bears or cougars who kill people.

Y'all might be interested in this website that gathers statistics and other information regarding dog bites: http://www.dogsbite.org/
I am deeply troubled by the number of pit bulls involved in such tragedies. I personally know many pit bull owners who defend their dogs, saying the dogs' actions are a direct reflection upon the owner. However, there are numerous stories in which pit bulls who are family dogs injure or kill children in the family. This is deeply disturbing to me. In my opinion, there is something in the genetic makeup of pit bulls that makes them more prone to this type of attack. I do not find it any different than saying a border collie has a herding instinct. Specific breeds do have specific traits. In the case of the pit bull, unfortunately, it is not a harmless trait. I personally support breed specific legislation. I know it is not a popular opinion, but why get a pit bull when there are so many other types of mixed breeds in the shelter who need loving homes?

This is a sad, sad, sad story. I feel so badly for this man, his dog, and his loved ones.

This makes me so angry. This poor man was just out enjoying the sunshine walking his little dog. Loose dogs are a huge problem! I belong to a greyhound adoption group (retired racers) and so many in our group have been attacked. We feel the need to arm ourselves on walks with things like pepper spray, mace, a stun gun or baton. Dog owners who are not responsible enough to keep their dogs on a leash when not in a fenced yard should have serious charges brought against them. IMO I'm heartbroken and angry as a hornet over this!!

Loose dogs are a big problem in Sarasota where we live - in fact over a week ago I out-bicycled a little yappy dog, loose, his owner was in his front yard, and his neighbor, a woman with yet another little yappy dog (this one is on a leash) try to deter the loose one from going right out into the middle of a main street. No idea what happened to Yappy Number One but I was safely home by then as it was close to our apartment.

Loose dogs are a big problem in Sarasota where we live - in fact over a week ago I out-bicycled a little yappy dog, loose, his owner was in his front yard, and his neighbor, a woman with yet another little yappy dog (this one is on a leash) try to deter the loose one from going right out into the middle of a main street. No idea what happened to Yappy Number One but I was safely home by then as it was close to our apartment.

It's interesting you mention this. Many of the attacks (small and large dogs) that have happened to people in my adoption group involve the owner standing near by. The owner usually says something to the effect of "oh my! Rover has never done anything like this before!" But Rover was off leash, running loose and that in and of itself is against the law where I live. I'm really tired of irresponsible dog owners.

Y'all might be interested in this website that gathers statistics and other information regarding dog bites: http://www.dogsbite.org/
I am deeply troubled by the number of pit bulls involved in such tragedies. I personally know many pit bull owners who defend their dogs, saying the dogs' actions are a direct reflection upon the owner. However, there are numerous stories in which pit bulls who are family dogs injure or kill children in the family. This is deeply disturbing to me. In my opinion, there is something in the genetic makeup of pit bulls that makes them more prone to this type of attack. I do not find it any different than saying a border collie has a herding instinct. Specific breeds do have specific traits. In the case of the pit bull, unfortunately, it is not a harmless trait. I personally support breed specific legislation. I know it is not a popular opinion, but why get a pit bull when there are so many other types of mixed breeds in the shelter who need loving homes?

This is a sad, sad, sad story. I feel so badly for this man, his dog, and his loved ones.

I agree with you. Here's a link with the history of Pit Bulls and selective breeding for fighting, they're considered the perfect "gladiator" among dogmen.

It's interesting you mention this. Many of the attacks (small and large dogs) that have happened to people in my adoption group involve the owner standing near by. The owner usually says something to the effect of "oh my! Rover has never done anything like this before!" But Rover was off leash, running loose and that in and of itself is against the law where I live. I'm really tired of irresponsible dog owners.

BBM

Me too in fact I have coined a phrase for it: pet owner failures, because they do not train their dogs.

I agree that all dogs should be on leash when not contained in a house, or yard that will actually hold them. I disagree that dog aggression is down to how they're raised only or there wouldn't be awesome abused ex-fighter dogs or aggressive family pets. I'm a pit lover (have two ) and irresponsible breeding has caused some issues with them not to mention the enormous number of pits and mixes around. The shelter's here are full of them and most are great dogs. There are characteristics that are warning signs and whenever those are seen I think those dogs need to be put down. Sad but better for all the dogs.

Speaking of leashes, small dog owners need to be held to the same standard too. I also have a rat terrier/Chihuahua mix and he gets leashed same as the other two.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Lord as if pit bulls didn't get enough bad rep from existing as is. The owner should be charged with murder if he truly was nearby and there should be an investigation in possible animal abuse or negligence- something to determine why the dogs acted this was and how future cases can be avoided.

Not all pit Bulls are mean it's all about how u raise them!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's NOT about how you raise them, it's about genetics. These dogs were bred to kill. They are "game bred" for generations, which means they will be willing to fight to the death even if they are dying. They will "scratch", which means they will keep fighting even if they are dying.

On the other hand, a hundred years ago pit bulls were ONLY bred to kill other dogs, and would be killed with a bullet to the head if they showed ANY human aggression whatsoever. That has changed. Now drug dealers are using them to protect them against humans. Not their purpose.

Now the breed is confused. Almost none of them ever aggress against humans, EVER. But when they do, it's deadly.

The Pit bull is a type of dog, but the American pit bull terrier, the American Staffordshire terrier, the Americanbulldog, and the Staffordshire bull terrier are all breeds. The Pit can be made up of one or a mix of these dogs. The one other thing that all of these breeds have in common is that they were originally bred to fight in pits, and were bred to bring out those characteristics. Just like my grandfather's Foxhounds knew instinctively to run foxes, Pits have this in their DNA. They give no warning growls, they will leave their territory and attack on other dog's and human's territory. Not really seen in other breeds. It takes a very committed, Alpha owner, and an Alpha family, where the dog knows its place, to properly care for these dogs. They require an experienced owner. Several years ago one jumped out of a pickup truck and attacked my little dog while she was sleeping in the yard. Thankfully I was there and the owner drug it off of my dog before it could latch on. A friend of my father's had one that killed a neighbor's livestock. It ate through a metal shed to get out and get to the livestock. A few months ago, two got out of their fenced yard, and went on a rampage through town, killed two dogs in their yard that night, and another person's dog died the next day. Any dog can bite but these guys are different. When they attack, note how they happily wag their tails. Ya'll are free to disagree with me but the facts are the facts and people have bred the fighting instinct into them even more through the years, b/c some people suck.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluenoseanimalhospital
Back