TX - Austin Package Bombs

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
from this article- sources involved in investigation says suspect mailed 2 packages from a Fed Ex drop off center.
In the video announcer says LE was measuring door at the FedEx Retail Dropoff center and asked congressman if
that was because they have video of door and possibly of suspect. Congressman said yes.

http://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/heavy-police-presence-at-fedex-near-austin-airport/1062630735

Yes! Back in the day, Seven 11 stores had measurements right in the doorway.

They are completely legal and will remain legal, at least for now. I didn't know what Tannerite was so I looked it up. ATF doesn't consider it an explosive because you have to mix two components together (both come in the package). ATF also doesn't consider it as an explosive because in order to detonate it you need to strike it with a high-velocity bullet, nothing else will make it go boom except for something striking it at high velocity, you can whack it with a hammer and it won't go off. Interestingly there was a bomb in NYC a couple of years ago that was made out of tannerite, the bomber rigged a primary charge that would concuss the tannerite which would cause it to blow.

My neighbor's teen sons got in a lot of trouble recently when they accidentally started a small fire in the woods behind our houses. They were caught then, playing around with tannerite, gasoline, and tennis balls. They were filling the tennis balls with gasoline and tannerite, and experimenting with ways to set them off. They lit them with matches, and they also tried shooting them with BB guns.

:no: :no: :no:

I feel like the bomb going off at FedEx was an experiment to see if sending a bomb through a commercial carrier would work considering people were told the first three bombs were placed there and not actually mailed. After hearing that, no one is going to pick up a package that wasn't "mailed."

I do not believe they scan packages unless they are going aboard a plane to get to their destination and then it would go through a scanner and be subject to "bomb-sniffing" dogs at the airport.

You could probably easily use a prepaid credit card and I can make up whatever e-mail address I would like from gmail at any time.

But everything you use like that has a digital footprint of some sort. Where you purchased the prepaid cc, so forth. Just like the dumb guy that sent a bomb threat by email. :shame: everything now days has some sort of digital or most rather.

If it was someone who just dropped off for someone they would still be all over that person. jmho

You could probably easily use a prepaid credit card and I can make up whatever e-mail address I would like from gmail at any time.

I think that with the above info, the FBI can still trace you. They have your IP from a gmail act, and even prepaid cc's have ways to be traced, I believe.

Address for the 2nd package/facility this morning if anyone needs it (one that was intact)

Austin Fire Info
‏@AustinFireInfo
7h7 hours ago
Re Haz Mat Investigation at 4107 McKinney Falls Rd Fed Ex. Austin Fire and @ATCEMS are assisting @Austin_Police with suspicious package. Austin PD is lead for media.

Perhaps someone in law enforcement can determine a profile of the bomber.

If the bomber isn't using the attacks to cover up his intended victim to make it look serial which could be the case , of course further research is need to confirm that. If the bomber is staying to watch first responders, he could be getting somekind of thrill, sexual or not from the bombings so the police will be watching the crowds

This is a legitimate problem here.

My husband is a welder by trade. He has his own rig, his own business, etc. He charges around $75/hr. for most jobs, which is a pretty standard rate for using your own machines, etc. He can't find work because people are doing the same work for $15/hr. Sometimes less.

I also work for a moving company. I can't tell you how many times I've had customers call in wanting a quote. They then say that our rates are too high, and that they know someone who will do it for $25/hr.

Well, okay... but we're registered with the state, carry $1mill in insurance and have a 26 foot box truck. This guy doing it for $25 an hour has a 10 foot open trailer, no insurance, and is NOT registered with the state... so good luck.

We used to live nextdoor to a family of 12 (4 adults, 8 kids). They lived in a 3 bedroom house. One of the adults was a carpenter. Him and my husband would talk business often. My husband rebuilt a deck for around $600. He took the neighbor with him, offered to pay him $15 an hour to help. The guy went in, waited until my husband ran for materials, told the guy he'd do it for $250. My husband lost that job, was reimbursed for materials.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND, I have nothing against people trying to make a living, and I understand that not everyone is this way, but talk to ANY small business owner (myself included), and you will see that it is a REAL problem. If this is in fact race related, I might see how this reason alone could be a very good possibility as to why he's so angry.... but I guess we'll need to wait for that to come out.

Same type of issue with airbnb. Places that are licensed and insured compete with those that have no expenses

Apologies if this was already posted upthread and I missed it. ...

Austin Cops Think They Know Mailing Site of FedEx Explosive

It's possible the person who mailed it is on surveillance video

http://m.newser.com/story/256827/austin-cops-zero-in-on-fedex-link-hope-for-a-break.html

From the article:

But police think somebody sent the package to Schertz from a FedEx Office store in the Austin suburb of Sunset Valley, reports the American-Statesman.

Better yet, the office store has no drop-off option, meaning the person who mailed the package needed to go inside, and thus could be the store's surveillance video.

Source of information in prior post is Austin American Statesman. Here’s that link:

Sunset Valley FedEx store linked to Schertz bomb; company turns over evidence

https://www.statesman.com/news/loca...ility-authorities-say/CVO2PqvqF9qN8tAQgdw4GK/

2 p.m. (CT) update: FedEx confirmed that the person responsible for shipping a package that exploded in the company’s sorting facility in Schertz also “shipped a second package that has now been secured and turned over to law enforcement.”

So who bought a 50# box of nails a month or so ago who's not a contractor? Look at big purchases of nails and eliminate known contractors. The perp could be a contractor, but I'm guessing not.

Thanks everyone for the information about Tannerite.

According to this article it sounds like it could be possible to make it explode using some other means besides just shooting at it. Like I wonder if someone was to setup a small explosion like with a firecracker and had that embedded in the stuff then would that be enough to blow the main charge of lots of tannerite.

I suppose where there is a will there is always a way. With the bomber in this case he may have used something like that or he may have used regular blackpowder or gunpowder too .

From the older bombing that happened awhile back we see this in the article:

"A bomb that exploded in New York City over the weekend contained Tannerite, according to a federal law enforcement official quoted by ABC News."

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/news/a22931/what-is-tannerite/

The reason why this could be important is if LE can prove tannerite was used in the bombs then it gives LE some hints where he may have bought the stuff.

Until LE releases more about how the bombs were built I suppose we wont know one way or another. I wish LE would give out more information. They seem to be too quiet in this case and I think it is hurting their case. IMO they need to begin releasing more information so the public can have a hint and may know someone that fits the description of who could do something like what the bomber is doing.

So who bought a 50# box of nails a month or so ago who's not a contractor? Look at big purchases of nails and eliminate known contractors. The perp could be a contractor, but I'm guessing not.

Depends on how long the Suspect Bomber has been planning. Could have purchased anytime. But with the resources FBI has, and the evidence they have from each scene. Plus the new info from the FedEx intact, hopefully it is narrowing down.

Then you have the 2 addresses on the packages. Could also be another lead.

I find it interesting that the reporters have not been using one certain hashtag. I am wondering if LEO/FBI have asked them not to. Def will be very tight lipped what info they release. JMHO

attachment.php

Someone was blowing tannerite bombs off at this marked location on January 20th. It’s 6.8 miles away from the Sunset Valley fedex store, and 9 miles from the trip wire.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.st...-south-austin/5oy7LdcFdMWuGdUDhFgzMP/amp.html

Was he ever fined in setting off bombs? I never found a follow-up.

CBS Austin
‏Verified account @cbsaustin
13m13 minutes ago
Texas bomber profile hard to make without communication, expert says

SAN ANTONIO —
Randall Rogan is a professor at Wake Forest University in North Carolina and is a terrorism communications expert. He was instrumental in helping identify Ted Kaczynski as the Unabomber, who according to Randall, is very different than the bomber terrifying folks in Austin and San Antonio.

"The Unabomber was a little bit different in terms of the targets that were chosen that ultimately began to play out in terms of the number of incidents that have occurred and the types of targets being chosen by Ted Kacynski as that evolved," said Rogan.

Rogan says building a profile on this bomber or possibly bombers is very challenging for investigators especially if the suspect stays quiet and keeps his target random.

"Until there is some sense of motivation or intent behind the bombings and until that is known that's going to make it very very difficult for everyone," Rogan said.

There are a few things that Rogan is fairly certain of, whoever this bomber is they are watching the news not only to keep tabs on the manhunt but also as a form of sick enjoyment.

"Ultimately that is what the individual is seeking is the attention that is coming about as a consequence of this," Rogan said. http://cbsaustin.com/news/local/texas-bomber-profile-hard-to-make-without-communication-expert-says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainsilversquirrel