TX - Colton Turner, 2, Cedar Park, 11 Sept 2014 #1 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you read the document I posted, a child can be removed without a court order if it is warranted,

Limited resources are no excuse for failure to provide protection. CPS failed Colton.

JMO

The taxpayers failed because they refuse to provide enough resources so there are enough peopke doung tge job.

I am sure it would be nice if workers worked for free beyond their work day. I don't know many peopke who can seeing as most have their own families to take care of

I thought they were going to court on Tuesday but now it looks like it won't be until October 30?

Select Defendant Attorney Cause Setting Date/Time Court Floor Type Charge
WORK MEAGAN RENA DAVIS DARLA DENISE
D-1-DC-14-301864 10/30/14 09:00 167TH 8 UDS TAMP/FAB PHYS EVID W/INTENT TO IMPAIR HUM CORPSE

https://publiccourts.co.travis.tx.us/dsa/default.aspx

Perhaps that will give them enough time to determine additional charges? No telling.

This story has once again dominated local talk radio.

Two things stand out:

1. As a society, young single mothers need to stop shaming other young single mothers who want to consider relinquishing their babies to adoption and

2. CPS didn't kill this precious child. His mother and her boyfriend did.

1) Shaming. Interesting... could you elaborate please?

I gave my third child up for adoption 22 years ago. I was on my own with two small kids, no child support and struggling financially. No way could I have supported one more child. Honestly, it was the best option for all four of us, and the toughest decision I ever made in my life. One person suggested I go on welfare and keep it. ... Seriously!? Otherwise, I had people coming out of the woodwork wanting that baby!

I never picked up on any projected shame. How that could outweigh any other critical factors escapes me, but then again, I could see how that might play in if we are talking teen moms in high school or still highly influenced by that friend-centric mind set.

I did not go through an agency, but I did seek counseling support at Lutheran Social Services, who were willing to provide counseling for free. I did pay my midwife myself, but she had delivered my first two and was amazingly helpful and worked out special arrangements for me to pay her. I think the biggest problem is the lack of funding to support adoption as a viable alternative to abortion, especially in light of all the abortion restrictions bearing down on women in Texas. Some policy and fiscal alignment is definitely needed here.

2) CPS didn't kill Colton, no. However, the agency is negligible via inefficiency and children are dying as a result. The agency needs extreme retrofitting. Less paperwork and more family face time is needed. Again, policy and fiscal alignment would help immensely.

:twocents:

I thought Heather was blaming CPS for not getting involved with Colton and earlier with her and her own sisters. Then I thought about it and saw she was showing how maybe if CPS had had not gave her sisters back to their parents after fostercare- then Megan would have turned out differently and not have (allegedly) killed Colton? IDK it's all just too sad and heartbreaking to me.

The doctor in the Wohlers case didn't order him not to be returned. He reported it to CPS. The system failed both children, 25 years apart. I really don't know why you are making such leaps in logic. Taking a photo is a lot different than physically removing a child away from a parent. The cousin didn't have custody. Nobody can do that without a court order. Not a doctor, not a cousin, nobody. A doctor can't diagnose child abuse just from looking at a photo.

JMO

The chair is named for Christopher Wohlers, a 20-month-old who was beaten to death in Austin in 1990. About a week before his death, Christopher was brought, badly beaten, to a hospital. A pediatrician told a state child abuse caseworker that the child should not go home with the family, but he was allowed to anyway.

Child Protective Services sent a notice about the suspected abuse to Austin police. It arrived the same day Christopher died.

"The system failed that child, and as it turns out, the system was failing children nationwide," Martin said.

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/local/abused-children-getting-a-voice-1/nRgN5/

This is a fuzzy area, and the reason he was allowed to go home with his mother is because of a clerical omission on the part of the staff, not because the caseworker didn't intend to follow doctor's orders. It was doctor's orders for release from the hospital, the way a doc will order that a patient not drive himself home, or that a patient be able to swallow before being transferred to a rehab facility. It was a condition of his release that he not be released to his mother.

I know more about this case. I don't want to have to register as an insider, since this thread isn't even about little Christopher, and so maybe belaboring the point further is unnecessary.

I gave my third child up for adoption 22 years ago. I was on my own with two small kids, no child support and struggling financially. No way could I have supported one more child. Honestly, it was the best option for all four of us, and the toughest decision I ever made in my life. One person suggested I go on welfare and keep it. ... Seriously!? Otherwise, I had people coming out of the woodwork wanting that baby!

I never picked up on any projected shame. How that could outweigh any other critical factors escapes me, but then again, I could see how that might play in if we are talking teen moms in high school or still highly influenced by that friend-centric mind set.

I did not go through an agency, but I did seek counseling support at Lutheran Social Services, who were willing to provide counseling for free. I did pay my midwife myself, but she had delivered my first two and was amazingly helpful and worked out special arrangements for me to pay her. I think the biggest problem is the lack of funding to support adoption as a viable alternative to abortion, especially in light of all the abortion restrictions bearing down on women in Texas. Some policy and fiscal alignment is definitely needed here.

2) CPS didn't kill Colton, no. However, the agency is negligible via inefficiency and children are dying as a result. The agency needs extreme retrofitting. Less paperwork and more family face time is needed. Again, policy and fiscal alignment would help immensely.

Yes. A generation ago, people saw relinquishing a baby for adoption to be what it is: a selfless act that benefits both the mother and the baby. More so the baby, because the mother grieves.

A generation ago few girls purposely got pregnant if they had no husband or at least steady boyfriend, and no means to support a family whatsoever and nowhere to live. Now, it's common. Never in the history of human society have girls with no means purposely gotten pregnant and intended to raise the baby alone and in poverty, the way you'd buy a kitten and hope all goes well.

I have some experience with childbirth classes and early parenting classes for young women at risk, and am shocked at the shaming that now goes on with girls who consider adoption. My guess is, because these girls know what they're doing is wrong, and they can't admit that the girls who are considering adoption are doing what is right.

If you're not around this situation, you could go to medical or social forums for young mothers and watch it happen online.

Yes. A generation ago, people saw relinquishing a baby for adoption to be what it is: a selfless act that benefits both the mother and the baby. More so the baby, because the mother grieves.

A generation ago few girls purposely got pregnant if they had no husband or at least steady boyfriend, and no means to support a family whatsoever and nowhere to live. Now, it's common. Never in the history of human society have girls with no means purposely gotten pregnant and intended to raise the baby alone and in poverty, the way you'd buy a kitten and hope all goes well.

I have some experience with childbirth classes and early parenting classes for young women at risk, and am shocked at the shaming that now goes on with girls who consider adoption. My guess is, because these girls know what they're doing is wrong, and they can't admit that the girls who are considering adoption are doing what is right.

If you're not around this situation, you could go to medical or social forums for young mothers and watch it happen online.

Not around it no. That's so... twisted. Thanks for taking the time to explain. Tragic. :shakehead:

it seems that women who have babies and cannot support them do it for a number of reasons. Sometimes it is because of being intoxicated and not thinking about consequences.

In spite of evidence to the contrary, they believe that the father of the child will stay with them and love her.

Many of these girls are looking for love and think the guy loves her. Or so she tells herself.

Many girls are looking for love and think the baby will love her.

Where I live, for a family of three, welfare is $423 month. They get a subsidized crappy apartment , maybe on the second floor . They have to haul their groceries and laundry up the stairs along with the children. Usually there is no car so they grocery shop once a month by cab and fill in the rest of the time via convenience store which is in a walking distance. Hence, weight gain because fresh foods are not going to last one month. Freezer space is limited.

No babysitters or money to go out and have some free time.

But the searching for love and the hope and belief that this time the man will be the one overrides all misery.

Everyone on earth is searching for love and acceptance. It does not matter if you are rich, poor or in between

This is a fuzzy area, and the reason he was allowed to go home with his mother is because of a clerical omission on the part of the staff, not because the caseworker didn't intend to follow doctor's orders. It was doctor's orders for release from the hospital, the way a doc will order that a patient not drive himself home, or that a patient be able to swallow before being transferred to a rehab facility. It was a condition of his release that he not be released to his mother.

I know more about this case. I don't want to have to register as an insider, since this thread isn't even about little Christopher, and so maybe belaboring the point further is unnecessary.

You brought up Christopher and suggested I do research so I did. And I found a media article that states facts and I linked it. Unless you have a link, I'll take the media article as fact and that it was CPS who failed the child, not the hospital clerical staff. The article clearly states CPS failed to notify police of the doctor's concerns in time to save his life.

JMO

I'm glad it worked out for you. The fact is that the teen pregnancy rate has dropped dramatically. I've not seen society "shame" young women if they chose adoption but fewer teens are getting pregnant these days. Young, single mothers have an array of social services today but there is no indication Colton's mother wanted any help.
That said, I've also not seen any indication Colton's mother ever considered adoption of her son. The situation she was living in with her son should have been a screaming priority to CPS.

JMO

Looks like good news may come in threes. The teenage pregnancy rate, birth rate and abortion rate have all dropped sharply since their respective peaks in the 1990s, according to new research by the Guttmacher Institute, a nonprofit organization focused on reproductive health.

The recent fall in these three rates shows that teen births may be down in part because fewer teens are getting pregnant in the first place, researchers said.

The teenage pregnancy rate dropped 51% between 1990 and 2010, according to the report. The 2010 rate of 57.4 pregnancies per 1,000 teenage girls and women 15-19 also represents a drop of 15% since 2008 alone.

http://www.latimes.com/science/scie...-abortion-rates-declining-20140505-story.html

You brought up Christopher and suggested I do research so I did. And I found a media article that states facts and I linked it. Unless you have a link, I'll take the media article as fact and that it was CPS who failed the child, not the hospital clerical staff. The article clearly states CPS failed to notify police of the doctor's concerns in time to save his life.

JMO

I never said hospital clerical staff.

You can believe it, or don't. I'm not going to sit here and argue the facts with you.

The larger point - and it's true, whether you believe it or not - a doctor in a hospital facility in Texas can order the parent not to leave with the child.

And it's too bad Colton's family didn't know or believe that.

I never said hospital clerical staff.

You can believe it, or don't. I'm not going to sit here and argue the facts with you.

The larger point - and it's true, whether you believe it or not - a doctor in a hospital facility in Texas can order the parent not to leave with the child.

And it's too bad Colton's family didn't know or believe that.

Actually you did state:

Originally Posted by JeannaT
This is a fuzzy area, and the reason he was allowed to go home with his mother is because of a clerical omission on the part of the staff, not because the caseworker didn't intend to follow doctor's orders.

Facts require links. I supplied a link to the news article stating CPS sent a notice to police too late to help. They also didn't contact police in time to help Colton, 25 years later. Furthermore, Colton's family didn't know where the child was located to take him to a hospital. I'm not sure why you refuse to accept that fact but it is still a fact.

FOX 7 spoke with Pelfrey's mother by phone. She says she hasn't seen Colton since May 30th and Work was a no-show at a recent meeting with CPS.

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/26512299/cedar-park-police-seek-help-locating-missing-child

No I didn't say hospital staff. Clerical omission on the part of the staff.

[modsnip].

Colton's family certainly knew where he was located when they held him for that photograph that eventually brought police to the house, months too late. They had him in their arms at that time, and apparently no mother was around to keep them from taking him to the ER. At that point, that could have been the pivotal point where a doctor would order the child into temporary care and the case could be investigated.

But they didn't. [modsnip]. My guess is, because they'd had unsuccessful experiences with CPS and had no idea how to go straight to the doctor for help.

All of the funeral expenses for Colton Turner have been covered by the community and local service providers, said Jessica McDunn, a spokeswoman for Cook-Walden Davis Funeral Home in Georgetown.
Services to honor Turner — who would have turned 3 years old on Sept. 21 — have not yet been scheduled.

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/...ay-for-colton-turners-funeral-expenses/nhQyR/

Very glad that the community came together and that Colton will have a proper funeral once his little body is released.

He was a sweet little boy full of life. He loved the great outdoors, playing in the mud and water with his daddy, and getting into things that boys do. His favorite movie was 'Planet of the Apes' and he enjoyed going to the park.

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Colton-Turner+Pelfrey&lc=4885&pid=172513385&mid=6127500

No I didn't say hospital staff. Clerical omission on the part of the staff.

[modnip].

Colton's family certainly knew where he was located when they held him for that photograph that eventually brought police to the house, months too late. They had him in their arms at that time, and apparently no mother was around to keep them from taking him to the ER. At that point, that could have been the pivotal point where a doctor would order the child into temporary care and the case could be investigated.

But they didn't. [modsnip]. My guess is, because they'd had unsuccessful experiences with CPS and had no idea how to go straight to the doctor for help.

I don't believe something without a link especially when it contradicts a news story which I posted a link. [modsnip]. I view them as victims.

Have a nice day.

it seems that women who have babies and cannot support them do it for a number of reasons. Sometimes it is because of being intoxicated and not thinking about consequences.

In spite of evidence to the contrary, they believe that the father of the child will stay with them and love her.

Many of these girls are looking for love and think the guy loves her. Or so she tells herself.

Many girls are looking for love and think the baby will love her.

Where I live, for a family of three, welfare is $423 month. They get a subsidized crappy apartment , maybe on the second floor . They have to haul their groceries and laundry up the stairs along with the children. Usually there is no car so they grocery shop once a month by cab and fill in the rest of the time via convenience store which is in a walking distance. Hence, weight gain because fresh foods are not going to last one month. Freezer space is limited.

No babysitters or money to go out and have some free time.

But the searching for love and the hope and belief that this time the man will be the one overrides all misery.

Everyone on earth is searching for love and acceptance. It does not matter if you are rich, poor or in between

Sometimes life just gets impossibly hard for a while too. I once drove 12 hours to pick up my best friend with a newborn that had to flee an abusive relationship in the middle of the night with two full diaper bags of baby stuff and literally nothing else. That newborn turned into a toddler that looked so much like Colton it gives me chills.

Personally I came close to give up a child for adoption. Was together with someone and living together a couple years, we got a surprise, and two days later I came home to find all of my stuff on the curb. That lead to a very hard very high risk pregnancy from pretty early on. There was even a woman that worked at the church I worked at and knew well that really wanted to adopt her. It wasn't public shaming or anything else that kept me from doing it. Because I was in the hospital so long while pregnant and after (8 blood transfusions and three close calls for me after she was born. She was healthy as could be though.) when we came home I had nothing. She literally slept in a dresser drawer with a couple light blankets in it. (Not in the dresser. Just to clarify)

Towards the end of my pregnancy I just felt so connected to her and so sure that I could do it. I just felt in my heart that she belonged with me and that together we would be OK. I knew in my heart that after everything we went through just to get her into the world that we could get through anything else. Maybe it was selfish maybe it wasn't but working hard we made it through. I would go through countless more days without food or sleep to make sure she doesnt have to go without in a heart beat. She turns five tomorrow. Every second of those five years have been better than i could of imagined.

Being a real mother means doing what you have to even when it means adoption. I'm just grateful that it didn't have to mean that for me. There is no end to the frustration out there that there are so many real mothers without babies that could of done Colton right and given him the life he deserved. He was stuck with a girl instead of a mother, that turned into a monster instead of a mother.

All of the funeral expenses for Colton Turner have been covered by the community and local service providers, said Jessica McDunn, a spokeswoman for Cook-Walden Davis Funeral Home in Georgetown.
Services to honor Turner — who would have turned 3 years old on Sept. 21 — have not yet been scheduled.

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/...ay-for-colton-turners-funeral-expenses/nhQyR/

Very glad that the community came together and that Colton will have a proper funeral once his little body is released.

He was a sweet little boy full of life. He loved the great outdoors, playing in the mud and water with his daddy, and getting into things that boys do. His favorite movie was 'Planet of the Apes' and he enjoyed going to the park.

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Colton-Turner+Pelfrey&lc=4885&pid=172513385&mid=6127500

Reading that made me cry. Especially that he shares a birthday with my little girl.

I don't believe something without a link especially when it contradicts a news story which I posted a link. [modsnip]. I view them as victims.

Have a nice day.

I'm not blaming Meagan's extended family until they blame CPS for not doing anything.

Meagan and her lover killed that child. [modsnip]

Multiple Investigations into Texas CPS over the Colton Harris case.

Moody also confirms to KXAN CPS staff decided last Friday evening to conduct an internal review into how its investigators handled any complaints. Law enforcement sources told KXAN Monday there were four known abuse complaints made to CPS regarding Colton’s well being.....

Moody would not confirm whether there was an active investigation into abuse complaints or that its staff could not find Meagan Work, as police officials indicated. A team of Cedar Park Police patrol officers and detectives located Work in hours, Chief Sean Mannix told KXAN Monday.............

CPS will also conduct a standard death investigation. State law also requires CPS staff to fill out a form 2059 – a Summary of Client Needs. It could reveal more about how Colton was living before he disappeared – providing it turns out there was an investigation then......

KXAN also confirms the Office of Inspector General of the Texas Health and Human Services Commission will review the Turner case.

http://kxan.com/2014/09/16/texas-cps-had-involvement-with-colton-turner/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member