TX - Colton Turner, 2, Cedar Park, 11 Sept 2014 #1 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If he died and was buried in early July...what are the chances of physical evidence of abuse being found? I'm not too educated in regards to the timeline of decomposition. We haven't had a horrible summer here in Texas...a few 100+ days but it's basically been in the 90s all summer. We've also had increased rainfall this summer but it's still dry.

In my opinion, she's not blaming their upbringing for Colton's death. She's blaming CPS for the treatment she received at the hands of her parents, and for the treatment Colton received at the hands of his mother and her lover. I guess she's too young to see the huge picture - CPS doesn't kill children. They just don't always get there in time to keep abuse and murder from happening.

I am not saying she is blaming CPS. I said she (Tyler) feels guilty for not protecting Colton. IMO she shouldn't feel this way. I agree that CPS doesn't kill children, the person who harms them is directly responsible. As far as blaming her (MW) on her childhood, well she hasn't even said that yet. It was brought up because people are thinking an attorney for MW will more than likely bring that up. I think people, myself included, are just voicing their opinions that people's past and childhood's are not excuses for killing your child. While I agree that CPS doesn't kill children, I am not so sure how well they are at protecting them either in some cases. It just seems in this growing world of violence it's almost impossible due to lack of manpower to check all complaints. Is it fair? Heck no! Should it be this way? No friggin' way! IMO it's a sad reality we are facing. We can move even further down and say that a lot of the kids who are removed from the home and put into foster care are treated just as badly if not worse in foster homes. It's just so sad and it seems like such a huge problem that nobody knows where to begin, so nothing happens. I admit it seems overwhelming, but we can't just turn our backs on these poor kids! I wish I had the answer....it is just so frustrating. I do wonder what would happen if a places around the country would open shelters or clinics for parents to drop off kids. No questions asked. I suppose that would require the same amount, if not more, manpower. It's just so frustrating and overwhelming. I just hate to see more of these cases....it's so heartbreaking.

If he died and was buried in early July...what are the chances of physical evidence of abuse being found? I'm not too educated in regards to the timeline of decomposition. We haven't had a horrible summer here in Texas...a few 100+ days but it's basically been in the 90s all summer. We've also had increased rainfall this summer but it's still dry.

I was curious about this myself. I read in an article somewhere that they asked her to explain what injuries he would have. She said a bump on his head and I believe she also said some bruising. I think if he would of had any broken bones they would show up in different stages of healing. I am not real educated myself on decomp, so as far as DNA or something like that, I am not sure what would be left over. Forensic science is an amazing thing. I will be interested to see what type of physical evidence they have myself. Great question!

I was literally just thinking the same myself. After being buried in a shallow grave for 2 months in Texas will there be any soft tissue left to examine or would that have gone? It's such an awkward question to ask as you are aware that you are talking about a precious child, but I was doubting that they would be able to find evidence of abuse, unless healed fractures or current fractures were visible.

I felt awkward asking that and I feel awkward saying but I can only hope there's something left..so they could determine internal organ damage, etc. That poor baby deserves justice. I can't stop loving and hugging on my 4 year old son because of this case.

In my opinion, she's not blaming their upbringing for Colton's death. She's blaming CPS for the treatment she received at the hands of her parents, and for the treatment Colton received at the hands of his mother and her lover. I guess she's too young to see the huge picture - CPS doesn't kill children. They just don't always get there in time to keep abuse and murder from happening.

If parents are abusive in the home, and a child is powerless to stop them; finally, it looks like someone (CPS) is going to help them. That help however never materializes (I can't imagine how horrible that feels to a child, the hopelessness it must create). Is it unreasonable for them to blame CPS under those circumstances?

Many have said that LE may initially respond to an abuse call. But it is laid at CPS's doorstep after a report is made. LE in most cases, is then out of the picture. So if CPS has sole jurisdiction over that matter, who do you turn too?

Why have an agency like CPS if they cannot be held accountable? Isn't their sole mission to protect children? Saying "CPS doesn't kill children" is rhetoric, we never said they did. The issue is, are they properly doing the job they are legally obligated to do?

If parents are abusive in the home, and a child is powerless to stop them; finally, it looks like someone (CPS) is going to help them. That help however never materializes (I can't imagine how horrible that feels to a child, the hopelessness it must create). Is it unreasonable for them to blame CPS under those circumstances?

Many have said that LE may initially respond to an abuse call. But it is laid at CPS's doorstep after a report is made. LE in most cases, is then out of the picture. So if CPS has sole jurisdiction over that matter, who do you turn too?

Why have an agency like CPS if they cannot be held accountable? Isn't their sole mission to protect children? Saying "CPS doesn't kill children" is rhetoric, we never said they did. The issue is, are they properly doing the job they are legally obligated to do?

BRAVO! Holding those responsible is EXACTLY THE ISSUE in this case. It is ridiculous for anyone to defend the lack of response by CPS for two years. The media has reported that family was filing reports when Colton was only 6 months old. It's a government agency that FAILED to protect the child. They must be held accountable. I shudder to think how many other multiple reports of abuse that agency is also totally ignoring.

JMO

BRAVO! Holding those responsible is EXACTLY THE ISSUE in this case. It is ridiculous for anyone to defend the lack of response by CPS for two years. The media has reported that family was filing reports when Colton was only 6 months old. It's a government agency that FAILED to protect the child. They must be held accountable. I shudder to think how many other multiple reports of abuse that agency is also totally ignoring.

JMO

I can't remember where, but I did read that they did do home visits. Looking at the past photos of him, that child was the picture of health and happiness until the horrible abuse began. I don't think she was "homeless" for long before the baby disappeared.
And even then he wasn't "homeless on the streets" he was at friend's houses, in hotels, etc. She was living "out of her car" not IN her car - which means all her belongings were stored in her car and she lived temporarily with different friends/hotels.

There was a guy on the radio today who works for a company with rental properties in lower middle class areas of this town - and he said he sees kids in complete squalor all day every day. Thousands of them. But one time he went to a home and they had two big dogs on leashes that were about a foot and a half long, staked in the yard, and after his call Animal Control was there to remove the dogs for abuse within an hour and a half. Boy, wouldn't that be nice if CPS had that power.

The thing is, there are a LOT of kids in imperfect situations where they are subject to a less than admirable home life. But seeing the child we all saw in those earlier pictures, an investigator would be hard pressed to find criminal abuse. He looked great, perfect weight, light in his eyes and bounce in his step.

What could have been done, that would have ended all this is if the cousin or grandparents had taken that child to his pediatrician with the horrific injuries they photographed. In my experience, pediatricians are QUICK to act and they can be invaluable advocates for the child. Pediatricians don't have to hem and haw and beg for help from CPS - they can sign orders that the child not be released to the parents, but to foster care, while the investigation is being done.

I can't remember where, but I did read that they did do home visits. Looking at the past photos of him, that child was the picture of health and happiness until the horrible abuse began. I don't think she was "homeless" for long before the baby disappeared.
And even then he wasn't "homeless on the streets" he was at friend's houses, in hotels, etc. She was living "out of her car" not IN her car - which means all her belongings were stored in her car and she lived temporarily with different friends/hotels.

There was a guy on the radio today who works for a company with rental properties in lower middle class areas of this town - and he said he sees kids in complete squalor all day every day. Thousands of them. But one time he went to a home and they had two big dogs on leashes that were about a foot and a half long, staked in the yard, and after his call Animal Control was there to remove the dogs for abuse within an hour and a half. Boy, wouldn't that be nice if CPS had that power.

The thing is, there are a LOT of kids in imperfect situations where they are subject to a less than admirable home life. But seeing the child we all saw in those earlier pictures, an investigator would be hard pressed to find criminal abuse. He looked great, perfect weight, light in his eyes and bounce in his step.

What could have been done, that would have ended all this is if the cousin or grandparents had taken that child to his pediatrician with the horrific injuries they photographed. In my experience, pediatricians are QUICK to act and they can be invaluable advocates for the child. Pediatricians don't have to hem and haw and beg for help from CPS - they can sign orders that the child not be released to the parents, but to foster care, while the investigation is being done.

I'm baffled by your response because both the police chief and family members have stated CPS didn't follow up. I consider anyone living out of their car to be homeless. Sleeping on somebody's couch or floor isn't a "home." I've never heard of a pediatrician having the authority to sign a court order. I thought that was the job of a Judge....and CPS. But, hey, that's just my opinion.

The public is responsible as well. The case loads of CPS workers are ridiculous. Their hands are tied as well because of many laws protecting parents.

The average length of stay in a CPS job where I live is two years.

It is just too heartbreaking.

Children are allowed to live in squalor as that is a lifestyle. Being homeless does not mean you will lose your child.

People with money live in squalor as well.

The laws that protect parental rights are really interesting.

But visible marks of abuse usually get some kind of response, but not always the one the average citizen thinks should happen.

I thought they were going to court on Tuesday but now it looks like it won't be until October 30?

Select Defendant Attorney Cause Setting Date/Time Court Floor Type Charge
WORK MEAGAN RENA DAVIS DARLA DENISE
D-1-DC-14-301864 10/30/14 09:00 167TH 8 UDS TAMP/FAB PHYS EVID W/INTENT TO IMPAIR HUM CORPSE

https://publiccourts.co.travis.tx.us/dsa/default.aspx

If anyone wants to look further into the laws of Texas, here is a reference.

There is focus on the Comstitution of the US.

There is focus on the reunification of families.

They state a child should not be removed from the home without a court order unless the chld is in immediate danger.

Lots or protections for parents

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/handbooks/cps/files/cps_pg_1200.asp

I'm baffled by your response because both the police chief and family members have stated CPS didn't follow up. I consider anyone living out of their car to be homeless. Sleeping on somebody's couch or floor isn't a "home." I've never heard of a pediatrician having the authority to sign a court order. I thought that was the job of a Judge....and CPS. But, hey, that's just my opinion.

She didn't have the child anymore when she was sleeping on a couch or floor.

If you're interested in Texas law as regards to pediatricians, google the case of Christopher Wohlers. In that case, the grandparents took the child to the emergency room and the pediatrician wrote orders that the baby not be released to his parents. Through a horrific lapse in paperwork and a clerical error, the child was indeed released to the parents and he was dead within days. Pediatricians here can intervene and force an investigation while the child is in temporary foster care.

If anyone wants to look further into the laws of Texas, here is a reference.

There is focus on the Comstitution of the US.

There is focus on the reunification of families.

They state a child should not be removed from the home without a court order unless the chld is in immediate danger.

Lots or protections for parents

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/handbooks/cps/files/cps_pg_1200.asp

Anyone looking at that child with those scratch or whip marks or whatever they were, and the head injury photo would consider the child to be "in immediate danger". This isn't like a child who looks a little pale or has a skinned knee.

"Immediate danger" is what any pediatrician would call that photo.

Anyone looking at that child with those scratch or whip marks or whatever they were, and the head injury photo would consider the child to be "in immediate danger". This isn't like a child who looks a little pale or has a skinned knee.

"Immediate danger" is what any pediatrician would call that photo.

Hard to say. One would think so, but that is not necessarily the case.

As a retired teacher and a mandated reporter, I was very surprised in terms of what is considered enough to remove a child.

There is also the problem of limied resources. These cases are prioritized. Because of privacy laws, we do not know if there are far more serious issues that are taking up time. There are only so many work hours to go around with staff.

She didn't have the child anymore when she was sleeping on a couch or floor.

If you're interested in Texas law as regards to pediatricians, google the case of Christopher Wohlers. In that case, the grandparents took the child to the emergency room and the pediatrician wrote orders that the baby not be released to his parents. Through a horrific lapse in paperwork and a clerical error, the child was indeed released to the parents and he was dead within days. Pediatricians here can intervene and force an investigation while the child is in temporary foster care.

Where do you get the idea that Colton's grandparents or any other family member had access to him so they could take him to the hospital? A pediatrician writing hospital orders is not the same as a Judge writing a court order but it is also a moot point because his mother told police she didn't want a hospital to see Colton.

JMO

Hard to say. One would think so, but that is not necessarily the case.

As a retired teacher and a mandated reporter, I was very surprised in terms of what is considered enough to remove a child.

There is also the problem of limied resources. These cases are prioritized. Because of privacy laws, we do not know if there are far more serious issues that are taking up time. There are only so many work hours to go around with staff.

Limited resources are no excuse for failure to provide protection. CPS failed Colton.

JMO

Where do you get the idea that Colton's grandparents or any other family member had access to him so they could take him to the hospital? A pediatrician writing hospital orders is not the same as a Judge writing a court order but it is also a moot point because his mother told police she didn't want a hospital to see Colton.

JMO

The cousin, who took those photos had access to him. Had she taken him to a hospital, at that point, this would have resulted in a doctor writing orders that this child wouldn't have been returned to his mother.

The cousin, who took those photos had access to him. Had she taken him to a hospital, at that point, this would have resulted in a doctor writing orders that this child wouldn't have been returned to his mother.

The doctor in the Wohlers case didn't order him not to be returned. He reported it to CPS. The system failed both children, 25 years apart. I really don't know why you are making such leaps in logic. Taking a photo is a lot different than physically removing a child away from a parent. The cousin didn't have custody. Nobody can do that without a court order. Not a doctor, not a cousin, nobody. A doctor can't diagnose child abuse just from looking at a photo.

JMO

The chair is named for Christopher Wohlers, a 20-month-old who was beaten to death in Austin in 1990. About a week before his death, Christopher was brought, badly beaten, to a hospital. A pediatrician told a state child abuse caseworker that the child should not go home with the family, but he was allowed to anyway.

Child Protective Services sent a notice about the suspected abuse to Austin police. It arrived the same day Christopher died.

"The system failed that child, and as it turns out, the system was failing children nationwide," Martin said.

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/local/abused-children-getting-a-voice-1/nRgN5/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helengably