TX - Colton Turner, 2, Cedar Park, 11 Sept 2014 #1 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This poor baby boy....and now another one? It just makes my heart ache for these little sweeties.

'Colton's Law' passes House Committee in unanimous vote
AUSTIN, Texas – The Texas House Committee on Juvenile and Family Issues voted unanimously Wednesday night to approve House Bill 2053, also known as "Colton's Law."
"I don't know what to say. I feel like Colton is getting his justice. This is his justice. Protecting other kids," said Colton's great-aunt Raquel Helfrich Wednesday evening after the vote.
"I'm blessed that they did that. It just made everything so much better and I know that my son got justice. He's saving a lot of other kids that CPS didn't," said Colton's biological dad Brandon Pelfrey.

The legislation, if passed into law, gives law enforcement immediate access to the names of children and their parents who Child Protective Services is looking for. The information is put in the same database officers search during routine traffic stops to find warrants.

I am so sick of the babies in this world being mistreated, starved, abused, raped and left to die by their family members. So so so so so sick of it.
Hoping little baby Colton's Law will save babies in the future.

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/28786260/pre-trial-hearing-for-mother-of-colton-turner

Interesting video.

The charges against Work and Michael Turner were upgraded when police say a witness came forward to say he saw Work slam her son's head against a truck they were both in. That head injury is what police believe caused his death.

Thanks for posting this. From article:

"Meagan Work had a smirk on her face when she was brought in and out of the courtroom. In an exclusive interview with FOX 7 after the hearing, two of Colton's Great Aunts, Diane Battles and Raquel Helfrich, talked about the anger they felt.

"The way she looked in the court room today she feels like she's done nothing wrong. You could tell by the smile on her face," says Colton's Great Aunt Diane Battles."

Thanks for posting this. From article:

"Meagan Work had a smirk on her face when she was brought in and out of the courtroom. In an exclusive interview with FOX 7 after the hearing, two of Colton's Great Aunts, Diane Battles and Raquel Helfrich, talked about the anger they felt.

"The way she looked in the court room today she feels like she's done nothing wrong. You could tell by the smile on her face," says Colton's Great Aunt Diane Battles."

I don't think she has that expression because she feels she's done nothing wrong. I think it's a defense because she KNOWS she's done something unforgivable.

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/28913181/update-coltons-law-officially-passes-house

If the bill becomes law, HB 2053 would amend the Child Safety Alert Checklist to allow for law enforcement to be automatically notified seven days after a child who is involved in an open CPS investigation becomes un-locatable. Texas Department of Public Safety would enter the child and its caregivers into a state-wide law enforcement database.

:bump:

another pre-trial hearing is scheduled for the so-called mother and her boytoy for monday the 11th per the judge at the last hearing..........

may there be justice for this sweet boy :heartbeat:

:rose: colton
:rose: strength to those that love him

Here is an article with information on the plea deal MW rejected:
http://www.statesman.com/news/news/...pleads-not-guilty-in-july-death-of-son/nmDWG/

"Work, who is charged with injury to a child and tampering with evidence, rejected plea agreements offered from the state. Prosecutors offered her 50 years in prison on each of the two injury to a child offenses and 20 years in prison on a tampering charge.

Judge David Wahlberg set her next hearing for July 20. Jury selection in her trial will begin Nov. 12."

I don't even want to say what I think about this.....

So she could face more than 60 years in prison if she's found guilty? Cool.

Here is another article with some detailed information about charges and attorney strategy:

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/29...her-meagan-work-spends-21st-birthday-in-court

Colton Turner's mother, Meagan Work, spends 21st birthday in court
Posted: May 11, 2015 8:33 PM EDT Updated: May 11, 2015 11:00 PM EDT
Work was arrested in September. Her boyfriend, Michael Turner, was already jailed on a prior charge. Police say in separate interviews, they both admitted to burying the child in July after he suffered a blow to the head. Work told police that the three of them had been staying in a motel room. When asked about the bump on her son's head, she told police he had hit his "head on an air conditioning unit inside of the motel room as a result of Colton being assaulted by Michael."

But court records show after Colton's remains were found in September, a witness came forward. He told police he saw Work and Colton in July. They were parked behind the building where Turner worked. The witness then said he saw Work slam her child's head against the door of the truck. There are cameras on the back of the building, but only those involved in the case know if it was captured on camera.

Despite an eyewitness account and possibly video evidence, Work has not been charged with murder.

"60 years is really going to be the maximum, so to have a plea bargain for 50, a lot of attorneys would advise their clients to go ahead and go forward with the trial. And either try to get an acquittal or at least try to get it reduced for punishment," she says.

A reduced punishment that either Work or her boyfriend could try to get before jury selection gets underway in November.

"This is the time when you are going to see if it happens, one of these defendants will turn on the other."
While Colton Turner's family waits for justice in the court room, they are one step closer to justice at the State Capitol. Colton's law is making it's way through the Senate.

"We feel like it's going to save a lot of children in Texas," said Great Aunt Battles.

HB 2053 would require state law enforcement to work with Child Protective Services to find children who fall of their radar.

"It's very important for law enforcement so that they can get involved early on and not have to wait like Colton," Battles said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413