Identified! TX - Crane Co, UnkFem, UP96088, Human skull found in Texas, Jan '90 - Maria Faye Mendez

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

phantomstrider

Reaction score

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Date Body Found January 31, 1990​

Location Found Crane County, Texas​

Sex Female​

Race/Ethnicity Uncertain​

Estimated Age Group Cannot Determine​

Height Cannot Estimate​

Weight Cannot Estimate​

Location Texas​

County Crane County​

Found On Tribal Land Unknown​

Circumstances of Recovery Human skull found on January 31, 1990, in Crane County, Texas​

Inventory of Remains Torso not recovered One or more limbs not recovered One or both hands not recovered​

Condition of Remains Not recognizable- Partial skeletal parts only​

Hair Color Unknown​

Eye Color Unknown​

Race: Hispanic

Description: Skull was found 9 miles north of Crane on the west side of U.S. HWY 385 and south of State HWY FM 1233, approximately 160 feet west of an oilfield lease road. Dental assessment of the maxillary revealed most of the molar gum line receding and signs of small abscesses. There is no mandible available for examination. DNA is available.

Ashley Fuller Reed​

"Reed was last seen in Garland, Texas on January 14, 1990.

She planned to meet two unknown male friends at The International House Of Pancakes that evening. The men have only been identified by their supposed first names: "Dave" and "Robert."

Reed's car was found abandoned on the freeway ramp leading to her neighborhood the next morning. Foul play is possible."

Ashley Fuller Reed – The Charley Project has more details.

She's not in Namus.

Attachments

• reed_ashley4.jpg
    reed_ashley4.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 3

Ashley Fuller Reed​

"Reed was last seen in Garland, Texas on January 14, 1990.

She planned to meet two unknown male friends at The International House Of Pancakes that evening. The men have only been identified by their supposed first names: "Dave" and "Robert."

Reed's car was found abandoned on the freeway ramp leading to her neighborhood the next morning. Foul play is possible."

Ashley Fuller Reed – The Charley Project has more details.

She's not in Namus.
Interestingly, I listened to a podcast about her disappearance last week. I honestly don’t think it’s her. Crane County is pretty rural and not far from the Mexico and New Mexico borders (also El Paso/Midland-Odessa). My guess is she came from one of those places.

I don’t think Ashley is far from DFW. JMO!

I don’t know though, she looks a lot like the reconstruction! Would a few weeks in January allow for her to become “partial remains”? IDK

Interestingly, I listened to a podcast about her disappearance last week. I honestly don’t think it’s her. Crane County is pretty rural and not far from the Mexico and New Mexico borders (also El Paso/Midland-Odessa). My guess is she came from one of those places.

I don’t think Ashley is far from DFW. JMO!

I don’t know though, she looks a lot like the reconstruction! Would a few weeks in January allow for her to become “partial remains”? IDK

I agree she's a long shot. She caught my eye mostly because of the timing, which is probably too tight but then it doesn't say how long they thought the skull had been there. Looking at the reconstruction, it must have been fairly complete.

Biscaino looks like a very good possibility.

In January 2023, the center notified OPD about a DNA match, which stemmed from skeletal remains recovered in Crane County in January of 1990. The remains were found by Crane County Deputies and in 2013, with help from CCSO and OPD, the remains were submitted for DNA testing and anthropological research.
1682692522741.jpeg
With new advancements in technology and forensic testing, OPD was able to identify the skeleton remains in Crane County as Maria Faye Mendez.

RIP Maria Faye Mendez

The reconstruction did look like her

Remains ID'd as missing West Texas woman in 39-year-old cold case

"Mendez was 39 years old at the time of her disappearance in 1984. Her family reported her missing when she didn't return to her apartment in the 2400 block of West 10th Street, according to the Odessa Police Department. However the case quickly turned cold, according to the release."

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Date Body Found January 31, 1990​

Location Found Crane County, Texas​

Sex Female​

Race/Ethnicity Uncertain​

Estimated Age Group Cannot Determine​

Height Cannot Estimate​

Weight Cannot Estimate​

Location Texas​

County Crane County​

Found On Tribal Land Unknown​

Circumstances of Recovery Human skull found on January 31, 1990, in Crane County, Texas​

Inventory of Remains Torso not recovered One or more limbs not recovered One or both hands not recovered​

Condition of Remains Not recognizable- Partial skeletal parts only​

Hair Color Unknown​

Eye Color Unknown​

1990 Denison Tx skull/ head found victim Holly Bowling , unsolved

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads