GUILTY TX - Deputy Darren Goforth, 47, fatally shot, Harris County, 28 Aug 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wife of slain Houston deputy praises 'ethical' and 'fiercely loyal' husband after career criminal is charged with his murder in 'cold-blooded' gas station ambush

Kathleen Goforth spoke out about her husband Darren Goforth

Goforth was shot Friday - allegedly by career criminal Shannon Miles, 30

Mrs Goforth praised husband, said he had strong sense of right and wrong

Miles has been charged with capital murder over the killing Friday night

Allegedly crept up on Goforth in unprovoked attack and started shooting

Mourners set up a makeshift memorial for Goforth at the Chevron station

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-murder-cold-blooded-gas-station-ambush.html

Even the Daily Mail is sparse on details about the perp's background. Strange.

I was really glad to see a thousand people walking in his memory. Glad that people are coming together to mourn him and remember him. He seemed to be a noble and kind man with a great love for his community and his family. :rose:

attachment.php

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...of-manhunt-emerge-suspect-remains-6475143.php
Photo: Gary Coronado, Staff

Sgt. Sisto DeLeon and his wife, June, join mourners at a vigil for Deputy Darren Goforth at the gas station where he was slain.

Attachments

• 920x920-1.jpg
    920x920-1.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 202
Texas Suspect in the Killing of a Deputy Had Jail Time
By Manny Fernandez & Ashley Southall, The New York Times,
August 30 '15

[... his friend said]

“He was a very good officer, very conscientious about his job and very diligent,”

Like other deputies and police officers in Houston, Lieutenant DeLosSantos was wearing a black band across his badge. On the band in small print was a Latin phrase: “Nemo me impune lacessit.” It means: “No one attacks me with impunity.”

[...]

Questions for Katydid, or any other poster who can discuss.

I worry about the financial future of this unfortunate family, as well as wanting to know more about sources of financial help for other families of LEO’s who are killed in the line of duty. We see these heart wrenching stories of slain officers in the news for a short time, then the stories disappear, and the victims are forgotten. Yet the families have a “life sentence” dealing with the ongoing effects forever. If the media pays any attention at all, it’s stories about the defense of the monster who killed the LEO.

Officer Goforth’s family has released a family pic to media, and we all know by now that he has 2 young children at home (ages 5 and 12).The pic breaks my heart as I think about them going forward without their dad, and I think about how difficult it will be in the long term as his wife faces all the bills and expenses of maintaining a household and raising young kids without his income. There are generous donations pouring in to help with immediate family and funeral expenses, and I know his wife and kids will be eligible for SSI. I’m hopeful there was a life insurance policy, as well as sources to pay off the mortgage. I know the family’s financial needs will probably be ok for the next year or so, but I’m thinking about long term.

What sources of ongoing financial assistance are there for families of officers who are killed in the line of duty? What about his children—are there specific scholarship funds years from now to help the kids with college, technical school, or high school? There will be legal expenses for the family for many years, as the defendant is moved thru the criminal justice system—they obviously need their own representation for decades to come. Will those expenses be paid for by some kind of fund for families of slain LE? Thanks for any insight.

This thread is about the vicious, society shattering, rage driven, cold blooded MURDER of a human being.

This website is about sleuthing said crimes, discussing crimes, the repercussions of crimes etc.

Memorialization is part and parcel of the grief that we feel for the victims of the crime of murder.
We memorialize as a group, in sharing our pain of the murder of one of our own, a human being.

Most of the members here know what I have stated is a fact.

However, for the record; I will state instead that it is my opinion.

Additionally, this wonderful site supports LEO. Yes?

I feel that the protest in Milwaukee Wisconsin is intertwined regarding the motive of the crime.
I hope with all of my heart that I am wrong about the motive of this horrendous crime.
If I am wrong about the motive of this crime, perhaps there is hope for our society and my Grandsons future.
If my opinion regarding the motive of this murder is correct? God, Higher Power, Buddha, whomever help us all.

Again, a human being has been murdered.
Officer Darren H. Goforth was murdered. A human being and one of our own.

As a side note, one of our members has shared why her son is no longer a LEO.
Katy states the reason with truth and integrity. It is worth reading. Sad, albeit heartbreakingly true.
Sans mind games, passive aggressiveness, it's from the heart with straight up honesty.
It's a couple pages back, have a look.
What are we going to do if we do not have LEO's?

I love my country but I must admit I am very scared now living in the toxic and dangerous atmosphere we have been experiencing in the last few years. Sadly, and pessimistically, which is an oddity for me, I believe it will only become worse.

I may have mentioned at one point in time that one of our grandsons began his law enforcement career the first of last year. He is a wonderful young man who cares about the citizens in our/his community.......even those he has to deal with by being employed with the Sheriff's department. He has done so well that he is already up for a promotion in rank. But honestly, I wish he would find another profession. Our family tries to be totally supportive but its in everyone's mind how dangerous it is to be a police officer during this chaotic time. He doesn't need our advice for he is a very smart well grounded individual but we still tell him to make sure he doesn't stop anywhere to and from work while he is in his uniform. How sad is that when he takes great pride in being a police officer? We pray constantly and worry ourselves sick at times over this. Of course, like he should... he will make his own decisions but I for one, and his parents/sibling and fiancée would have peace of mind if he chose another profession. He did say due to the toxic attitudes against all cops nowadays that once he gets married and has children he may pick another job within the criminal justice system less dangerous. That is not where his heart is though. He does realize how dangerous his job is now. They all do. Morale is way down now in PDs all across the country, and that is totally understandable. Officers are part of their community. They have family they love and friends and want to be able to come back home everyday to them just like anyone else does. Now that uncertainty is greater than ever for all of them. Each one worries 'will this be the day for me?'

Somehow we have not only lost our common sense we have lost our moral compass. We have seen wrongs turned into rights and rights are being turned into wrongs. We have seen lawbreakers called out as heroes and we have seen all cops being painted with the same wide brush. There is a target on the back of every police officer in this nation now. There will be more ambushes/executions of our officers. And yes, every officer in this nation belongs to us, the American people, and when they are brutally murdered we all lose. They have to get out in the public to do their job and the next plotter knows that. Police have become sitting ducks now because even they don't have eyes in the back of their head.:(

I have never seen such times of so much unrest, violence,uncertainty, and chaos we are having to endure now.

I don't think any one of us has to even theorize about this man's motive to shoot this officer down in cold blood. I already fully believe "I' know his true motive for executing this veteran police officer who was a very honorable officer.

I noticed that one of the representatives, may have been the DA, mentioned the 'silent majority' and how they must rise up against injustices like this or this is going to keep happening over and over again.

When criminals fill empowered and know they can rule by violence/intimidation, and threats they gather strength in numbers. That is what we are seeing now and if our people let it continue they will overtake all of the law abiding citizens.

The same thing happened with the gangs. So many elected officials did not respond to all of the gangs that were infiltrating all areas of the country. By the time they even would admit they had a very serious problem with gang violence it was too out of control to overcome.

That is where we are heading now with police officers being shot and killed for no other reason because they wear a uniform when they serve and protect. If the officers cant get control of the streets again and restore order more and more deaths, not just cops, will happen.

Never in 68 years have I worried more about our country as I do now. I do know who is at fault for this toxic dangerous atmosphere but I will remain silent on that.

RIP Deputy! You have made your final watch. God's love to all who mourn the passing of a truly dedicated officer.

IMO

I worry about the financial future of this unfortunate family, as well as wanting to know more about sources of financial help for other families of LEO’s who are killed in the line of duty. We see these heart wrenching stories of slain officers in the news for a short time, then the stories disappear, and the victims are forgotten. Yet the families have a “life sentence” dealing with the ongoing effects forever. If the media pays any attention at all, it’s stories about the defense of the monster who killed the LEO.

Officer Goforth’s family has released a family pic to media, and we all know by now that he has 2 young children at home (ages 5 and 12).The pic breaks my heart as I think about them going forward without their dad, and I think about how difficult it will be in the long term as his wife faces all the bills and expenses of maintaining a household and raising young kids without his income. There are generous donations pouring in to help with immediate family and funeral expenses, and I know his wife and kids will be eligible for SSI. I’m hopeful there was a life insurance policy, as well as sources to pay off the mortgage. I know the family’s financial needs will probably be ok for the next year or so, but I’m thinking about long term.

What sources of ongoing financial assistance are there for families of officers who are killed in the line of duty? What about his children—are there specific scholarship funds years from now to help the kids with college, technical school, or high school? There will be legal expenses for the family for many years, as the defendant is moved thru the criminal justice system—they obviously need their own representation for decades to come. Will those expenses be paid for by some kind of fund for families of slain LE? Thanks for any insight.

I heard a man ? talk about this yesterday on the radio, iirc he said mortgages are paid and money will be available for college for the two kids and all debts are pretty much paid off for the family's. Sounds like a great organization.

http://abc13.com/news/mom-of-man-in-custody-after-deadly-ambush-my-son-is-innocent/961336/

We've learned the non-profit, the 100 Club, is assisting Goforth's family. The 62-year-old organization said Saturday they will give the family a $20,000 check to help with any financial needs. The organization added in a statement today, "Additional financial support for the dependent family, which averages $300,000 per tragedy, will be made after an assessment of their needs is conducted."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...s-say-texas-deputy-darren-goforth-was-n418856

The Texas sheriff's deputy who was killed at a gas station was shot 15 times by a gunman who unloaded his entire clip, a prosecutor said Monday as the suspect appeared in court for the first time.

A judge found probable cause to hold the suspect, Shannon Miles, for capital murder in the killing of Deputy Darren Goforth in Houston. Miles, 30, wore a yellow jump suit and shackles. He did not enter a plea.

[...]

Ballistics tests matched a gun at Miles' home — a .40-caliber Smith & Wesson — to the shell casings at the gas station, the prosecutor said.

More at link...

Ryan Korsgard (@KPRCRYAN): https://twitter.com/KPRCRYAN?s=09

Man accused of killing Deputy Darren Goforth making 1st appearance in 208th District Court.

District Attorney: 15 shell casings found around Deputy Goforth after shooting.

DA: believes Miles unloaded entire gun into Deputy Goforth. DA: murder weapon has been recovered.

District Attorney: Deputy Goforth was first shot in head. Says he fell to ground, face first. Says suspect continued shooting.

Miles said he had no questions of court. Looked around court as he left. Wore shackles, yellow jail outfit.

A lot depends upon if the fallen officer was working for the State, the County or a small city. It is important that one looks at what is provided before they accept an offer of employment if one has a family to support. I know California has some strong charity organizations that typically pay off the mortgage and will pay for college for any dependents. And usually there will be a widows/orphans pension if it is a union backed force.

Here is how it works in the different states:

https://www.odmp.org/benefits

I really hope that Deputy GoForth's brutal death will turn the tide and make people question the BLM and other hate inciting movements.

"They found Deputy Darren Goforth face down in a pool of his own blood," Anderson told state District Judge Denise Collins.

Prosecutors believe Goforth was shot 15 times. Anderson said investigators found 15 shell casings at the scene.

"He unloaded the entire weapon into Deputy Goforth," Anderson said.

Anderson said a .40 caliber handgun was found at Miles' home. She said the bullets in the gun matched bullets fund at the scene of the shooting. Ballistics testing later showed that the bullets fired at the scene matched the weapon.

Miles, who appeared in the yellow jail uniform typically reserved for high-profile inmates, spoke little, including that he understood the charges against him.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/prosecutors-suspect-unloaded-entire-gun-into-deputy/ar-AAdNjlx

That is a very serious weapon and ammunition-- makes me so angry. The damage to Officer Goforth was horrific. I can't imagine being a medical examiner, and having to autopsy and document that kind of damage, especially the unprovoked execution of an honorable police officer-- although I know many consider it a special calling and a privilege to be able to help bring justice.

Just for some perspective, a .40 caliber round fired from 10 feet can penetrate ballistic gelatin through 4 layers of clothing to an average depth of 10"-12". The perp fired 15 of these rounds into Officer Goforth probably from within that 10 foot range or closer, according to news reports. Here's a quick discussion:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/What-round-is-More-Effective-9-45-or-40.html

This heinous defendant is going to be convicted and get the DP, IMO.

A lot depends upon if the fallen officer was working for the State, the County or a small city. It is important that one looks at what is provided before they accept an offer of employment if one has a family to support. I know California has some strong charity organizations that typically pay off the mortgage and will pay for college for any dependents. And usually there will be a widows/orphans pension if it is a union backed force.

Here is how it works in the different states:

https://www.odmp.org/benefits

I really hope that Deputy GoForth's brutal death will turn the tide and make people question the BLM and other hate inciting movements.

Thank you-- I didn't know about the PSOB--very interesting-- and comforting to know there are these sources of help for families who must go on. And thanks to the poster (Elley Mae) above for the 100 Club info. That is a TX specific organization. Their website has a lot of good info.

Why ?

Are we not allowed to discuss motive on a crime ?

The politically correct answer is that "we don't know why the shooter did what he did".

Or, "we don't know YET why the shooter did what he did."

Speculation in these cases is discouraged because a frank discussion is too volatile and time consuming to moderate.

I think that's what the mods have said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413
Back