GUILTY TX - Deputy Darren Goforth, 47, fatally shot, Harris County, 28 Aug 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Being local, I am furious about this case. The shooter is such a coward. His mom apparently lied to police and local media about where he was during the shooting. IMO, they need to press charges against her for obstruction of justice and any other charge they can bring. SMH

At first it was reported that she called in and identified. But then it seemed instead like she may have called to say " Hey, that LOOKS like my boy but it couldnt be cuz he was home with me baking cookies for Grandma..."

Man charged in death of HCSO deputy
KHOU11 Staff report and Doug Miller
8:06 pm, August 29 15

speaks with people at

"a small shrine [that] grew around the gas pump where he died"

[...]

"I've talked to him several times about his family," said Brian McCullar, who lives in one of the subdivisions near the crime scene. "I know that they just recently got back from a vacation. I know he couldn't wait to go on vacation with his family."

Mothers and fathers brought their children to lay flowers at the base of the gas pump. Grown men and women wept and prayed.

[...]

Thank you, rosie_lee, for this information.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful post. You made so many great points and emotional issues. I agree with every one of them.

My son has a 4 month old daughter, their first child. And so , with some sadness, he has decided to try and change careers. It makes him sad because he loves his work. But it is just a lose/lose situation right now.

He says that the public at large is very supportive and kind. But the people that cops try to arrest or even detain and question, have very aggressive, antagonistic attitudes nowadays. People often want to tussle and fight, even over tiny infractions. I guess they sense the automatic hesitation that the officers feel now. It is just not worth it.

I don't have any answers. I wish I did. I do feel that if MSM, and politicians keep pandering to the BLM nonsense it will only add more and more gas to the fire. But I doubt that will change anytime soon.

I do hope that everyday citizens take the chance to 'thank' officers that they run into around town and let them know they are truly appreciated. It makes a difference. JMO :cop:

katy :)
Thank you for your reply. I hope that you know how valuable you are to most of us here. Your common sense, your ability to take a hit many, many times and keep on going, your courage, tenacity and your ability to actually attempt to understand those that have disagreed with you...what can I say?

BBM #1 Congratulations! You're the Grandmother of a baby girl! My daughter and her awesome husband just had our first Grandchild on 2/13/14. I am finally a "Nanny"! (our family name for Grandmother).

BBM #2 I am so very sorry to hear that. What an absolute shame. Your beloved son indeed is in a lose/lose situation. I wish him well in his new career.

BBM#3 You have stated what I was too afraid to share. The BLM nonsense is part of what is ruining this county. It is despicable. I wish that I wasn't such a coward and stated that exact opinion in my first post.

Your post has inspired me to attempt to take action.
I have an idea and I'm hoping that it will work in some small way. (see below).*

We contribute a portion of our money to the PBA, and other assorted LE agencies in our area.

Every single time I spot a LEO I give a salute to him/her.

* I have been pulled over by LEO 4 times in my life.
I deserved to be pulled over.
I broke the laws of this great country.
I owned my errors with as much grace and integrity as possible.

I was cooperative, kind, compassionate, intelligent and respectful.
I expected nothing in return.
Nothing.
The LEO's conduct did not control me in any way, shape or form.
I was only focused on my behavior.

I slowly and carefully pulled over so that the LEO was safe, I put my emergency lights on, I put both hands on the wheel, when approached I moved very slowly and carefully. I vocalized where my important papers requested by the LEO were. The insurance, registration etc...are in a big white envelope marked with a red sharpie "For Law Enforcement".
I did everything requested of me.

I implore anyone reading this to please go to your local LEO barracks and ask them what you need to do in order for all to stay safe in a LE encounter. Please do not Google the information you need.

I was taught at a very early age that when I make a mistake, own it and learn a lesson from it. I was taught that if I was treated unfairly or the other party/parties were wrong, to behave with intelligence and grace to state my side and perception.

Guess what the outcome of my experiences with my breaking the law were?

If and/or when I am pulled over by a LEO and I think that they are wrong and unfair in pulling me over? Knowing that I am right and they are wrong? I will behave with intelligence, respect and do every single thing that I have outlined above.

I will not force a court/attorney issue on the pavement. I will address it in a court of law. As the saying goes, "Tell it to the Judge".

Rest in peace Officer Darren H. Goforth.
Thank you for your service to your community.

My heart breaks for your family, your loved ones and the community.
The real, true and only victims.

<modsnip>

My above post is littered with grammatical and potential spelling errors. I won't fix them. Presume I am stupid. I am okay with that.

beach please forgive me, you are right and I was wrong. I am sorry.

I dispatch police at the airport I work at. They are under contract from a neighboring town to provide police presence and uphold the law. They rotate in and out so I have met/worked with all of them.

Airports are like a small city, and attract various personalities. We have on a daily basis, the need for cops to intervene with subjects who are difficult. 99% of the time, the officers will try to work it out with the subjects and assist them with what they need to move on. The majority of the arrests are due to the person having an outstanding warrant (go and figure, and these types always seem to call attention to themselves.)

To outright kill an officer just because they are an officer just breaks my heart. The officers I know are kind and caring, and will do the best to help someone.

My thoughts go out to this officer's family as he sounds like he was a nice and caring human being.

Oh dear.

I really should just lurk and post once in a while.
I've made even more work for Beach, ruining the real reason for the edit.
I'm sorry Beach. You are right and I was wrong.
I was out of line.

WB member Honey? Many thanks for your reply.
I appreciate your input and I do agree with what you have shared.
I value your thoughts and opinions.

It's just that I feel that we cannot do enough to prevent this apparent attack on LEO.
I feel so frustrated.
Thanks again, Honey for your input.

RIP Officer Darren H. Goforth
Prayers and condolences to your family, friends and loved ones.

Our C.O.P. came by today to drop off t-shirts - he is running for Sheriff. I said' Are you sure you want to do this?' (Being LEO in general). He said, 'Somebody's got to do it'. I told him I would pray for him. I'm even nervous about wearing the t-shirt!

How can YOU help? LOVE!!! Most of these people in the BLM have no other purpose. Humans MUST have PURPOSE!! Sweep the sidewalk! Pick up trash on the ground as you go about your day! Greet everyone you meet with a smile! Be a good example! People will do what they see others do. Nobody wants to 'stand out'. Just treat EVERYONE you meet with LOVE and RESPECT! Life is too short to grumble at someone because they aren't like you. Mentor that 'troubled kid'. Show them (by example) what is the right thing to do!

Sadly, last week, while I was standing in line with my 10yr. old daughter, I had to put my hand over a magazine cover with a girl my daughter admired barely dressed. We are not our shape, color, size, ability - we are humans - we are 'fearfully and wonderfully made'! We all matter! Let's make it count!

jmo, of course

Hundreds Attend Vigil for Slain Texas Deputy Darren Goforth

Hundreds of people showed up at a Texas gas station Saturday to pay tribute to a sheriff's deputy who was gunned down from behind after filling up his patrol car the night before.

Many who attended the vigil for Harris County sheriff's deputy Darren H. Goforth said they were there to support the police, and some said they were frustrated with the "black lives matter" movement and what they said was an increased hostility against all police.

On Saturday, suspect Shannon Miles, 30, was arrested and charged with capital murder. A motive has not been determined. Miles is black. Goforth is white.

"I wanted to demonstrate that all lives matter, regardless of color," said Carol Hayes, an African American woman who attended the vigil. Her family was one of the first black families to move to the neighborhood nearly 30 years ago, she said, and they always felt welcome.

While a motive in the killing has not been determined, some of those who attended the vigil were angry over what they said was a climate of mistrust toward police, and a lack of support for officers from politicians.

"I think there's a lot of people getting sick and tired of the way police are being portrayed — every time there's a shooting, they're presumed guilty," Mark Langland, Simone's father, said. "I'm just tired of the double standard."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/hundreds-attend-vigil-slain-texas-deputy-darren-goforth-n418356

Statement from Kathleen Goforth, wife of murdered Officer Darren Goforth:

"Goforth's wife Kathleen Goforth released the following statement Saturday to KPRC 2:

There are no words for this. All the language that I know is inadequate for what I want to express. But for Darren, I will try. I can't describe him with cliches and platitudes. I need to do better than that; he deserves better than that.

"My husband was an incredibly intricate blend of toughness and gentility. He was loyal...fiercely so. And he was ethical; the right thing to do is what guided his internal compass. I admired this quality, perhaps the most. For that was what made Darren good. And he was good. So, if people want to know what kind of man he was...This is it. He was who you wanted for a friend, colleague, and a neighbor.

"However, it was I who was blessed so richly that I had the privilege of calling him my husband and my best friend."

http://www.click2houston.com/news/c...port-for-fallen-hcso-sheriffs-deputy/34998096

"There is nothing like employment, active indispensable employment, for relieving sorrow. Employment, even melancholy, may dispel melancholy."
Jane Austen
&#8212; Mansfield Park

My acrostic tonight.

I wonder what your post is doing in a memorial thread. :facepalm:

It was in RESPONSE to the post right above mine.

In that post, it was said that the huge protest today in Milwaukee, was said to be about problems in the vendor process at the State Fair. My comment was implying that I doubted that to be true.

ETA:
here is the comment I was RESPONDING to:

Just a few hours ago, the Black Lives Matter group disrupted the MN State Fair-- blockading entrances, shutting down roads, and chanting "Pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon" (see video below). THIS, on the day a police officer was gunned down in cold blood, and after BLM said over and over the "protest" at the MN State Fair was about minorities not being represented equally in all the vendors. Baloney. They were called out on that all week by the Fair admin, the governor, mayor, and numerous others for that lie.

This thread is about the vicious, society shattering, rage driven, cold blooded MURDER of a human being.

This website is about sleuthing said crimes, discussing crimes, the repercussions of crimes etc.

Memorialization is part and parcel of the grief that we feel for the victims of the crime of murder.
We memorialize as a group, in sharing our pain of the murder of one of our own, a human being.

Most of the members here know what I have stated is a fact.

However, for the record; I will state instead that it is my opinion.

Additionally, this wonderful site supports LEO. Yes?

I feel that the protest in Milwaukee Wisconsin is intertwined regarding the motive of the crime.
I hope with all of my heart that I am wrong about the motive of this horrendous crime.
If I am wrong about the motive of this crime, perhaps there is hope for our society and my Grandsons future.
If my opinion regarding the motive of this murder is correct? God, Higher Power, Buddha, whomever help us all.

Again, a human being has been murdered.
Officer Darren H. Goforth was murdered. A human being and one of our own.

As a side note, one of our members has shared why her son is no longer a LEO.
Katy states the reason with truth and integrity. It is worth reading. Sad, albeit heartbreakingly true.
Sans mind games, passive aggressiveness, it's from the heart with straight up honesty.
It's a couple pages back, have a look.
What are we going to do if we do not have LEO's?

"As a side note, one of our members has shared why her son is no longer a LEO. "

Correction, he no longer PLANS to be a LEO. He is looking at other options but he is still on the job. He is taking his 'family leave' right now for the newborn, but he will go back to work soon. But during his paternity leave he has been interviewing for other positions.

Oh nooooo, I'm sorry for my confusion. Thank you for correcting me.
I really should try and read more carefully.
He is one brave man.
I will add him to my prayer list.
I know that it sounds hypocritical but when I thought that he had actually left his job I was happy for you.
We need LEO.
Please thank him for his service from a complete stranger.

Meggie in Upstate NY.

Off to ease my aching head and heart.
This case has impacted me in so many ways.

A brave and good man shot to death.
Murdered in cold blood while serving his community.

According to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, a nonprofit group that maintains a database of officer deaths, 80 law enforcement officers have been killed in the line of duty since Jan. 1, compared with 73 during the same period in 2014. Of the 80 officers, 24 were killed by gunfire.

A report by the group says that firearms-related officer fatalities peaked in 1973, with 84 officers shot and killed in the first six months of that year, and have since decreased from 62 on average in the 1970s to 29 on average in the 2000s.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/natio...eputy-shot-20150828-story.html#navtype=outfit

http://www.nleomf.org/facts/research-bulletins/

In the last 8 days there have been 8 LE killed!

Henry Nelson 8/26 LA
Steven Vincent 8/24 LA
Peggy Vassallo 8/24 MO
James Bava 8/28 MO
Chad Wolf 8/28 MI
Tronoski Jones 8/20 TX
Darren Goforth 8/28 TX

RIP officers and thank you for your service.

This happened very very close to me. The community is planning a fundraising event for Sept 12 where there will be a walk along the highway to the gas station where the officer lost his life and then to the last place where the fundraising event will take place. This is not a official event just something that the community wants to do for this family and to show that we care. I really want to go but am afraid that there will be backlash and I don't want to put myself or my family in danger.

This happened very very close to me. The community is planning a fundraising event for Sept 12 where there will be a walk along the highway to the gas station where the officer lost his life and then to the last place where the fundraising event will take place. This is not a official event just something that the community wants to do for this family and to show that we care. I really want to go but am afraid that there will be backlash and I don't want to put myself or my family in danger.

I thought the same thing when I saw all the brave souls risking their lives to mourn Officer Goforth last night. Thank goodness nothing happened. Maybe BLM didn't have time to mobilize a contingent to Texas when they already had a planned event at the MN State Fair. Whatever you decide, please be careful....whether you are black, white, Asian, or multi-racial, if you are openly mourning a fallen officer you're putting a target on your back.

Wife of slain Houston deputy praises 'ethical' and 'fiercely loyal' husband after career criminal is charged with his murder in 'cold-blooded' gas station ambush

Kathleen Goforth spoke out about her husband Darren Goforth

Goforth was shot Friday - allegedly by career criminal Shannon Miles, 30

Mrs Goforth praised husband, said he had strong sense of right and wrong

Miles has been charged with capital murder over the killing Friday night

Allegedly crept up on Goforth in unprovoked attack and started shooting

Mourners set up a makeshift memorial for Goforth at the Chevron station

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-murder-cold-blooded-gas-station-ambush.html

Texas Deputy Killed ‘Because He Wore a Uniform,’ Sheriff Says
By Manny Fernandez & David Montgomery
August 29 15, 9:18 am

[... Deputy Darren GoForth was, ]

“an extremely hard worker,” said Deputy Goerlitz, [his] patrol instructor at the sheriff’s academy. “I’ve seen some dedicated folks, but he was above and beyond.”

[... he]

"had experienced effects of previous injuries while he was in the academy but pushed them aside during his training. “He wouldn’t give up,”

[...]

“You can’t make sense of evil,” Mr. Tarpley said. “Evil is evil. There’s no rhyme or reason to it. I don’t know what was going on in that young man’s life. Whatever it was, it was dark.”

[... according to Sheriff Hickman,]

“This is the kind of thing that drives you right down to your soul,”

“Our job is to carry the badge and gun and protect everybody else, and now we’ve got to fall back, regroup and take care of one of our own.”

Goforth, TX - Edited.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413
Back