TX - Five Yates children drowned, Houston, 20 June 2001 *Insanity*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
she looks crazy, i mean i have seen pics of her and it gives me the creeps....:eek:

Andrea Yates had a full blown post-partum psychosis from two kids back. She was not feeding herself, not bathing herself and barely talking - and was pulling her own hair out. There's NO WAY in hell she should have been out of a hospital - FORGET about anywhere near five kids for ANY period of time. Her husband, her family, his mother and her doctors can all share the blame for this tragedy.

michelle said:
I love websleuths its nice to be able to disagree and not fight.......I on the other habd think susan smith was mentally ill, she has a long history of sexual abuse against her her daddy killed himself he was mental and so on....but any way i dont know too much about andrea yates, but was she ill as a child??

Hope this helps.

Andrea Yates was born Andrea Kennedy on July 2, 1964 into a middle class family in Houston, the youngest of five children. She had developed a very close relationship with her father, a high school teacher, and she liked to help other people. She graduated from high school as class valedictorian and had been captain of the swim team. She had been shy with boys but was goal-oriented like the rest of her family, and had good friends. She earned a nursing degree from the University of Texas Health Science Center and found work as a registered nurse. She quit after she married and had her first child.

Timothy Roche delved deep into her history for Time and discovered a rather disturbing picture of a troubled family, including a long history of mental illness for Yates. But there was more, emphasized in a documentary for Court TV's Mugshots. The form mental illness takes often has an outside influence, and this one was insidious.

Andrea and Rusty had met when they were both 25. Rusty had seen her swimming in a pool of his apartment complex and had decided he was interested in her. She introduced herself to him and they dated for three years. In 1993, they were married and a year later had Noah. They planned on having as many children as came along, whatever God wanted for them, and told friends they expected six.

Yet soon after Noah was born, Andrea began to have violent visions: she saw someone being stabbed. She thought she heard Satan speak to her. However, she and her husband had idealistic, Bible-inspired notions about family and motherhood, so she kept her tormenting secrets to herself. She didn't realize how much mental illness there was in her own family, from depression to bipolar disorder—which can contribute to postpartum psychosis. In her initial stages, she remained undiagnosed and untreated. She kept her secrets from everyone.

michelle said:
I really dont know much about that either, but dang why did she have to stone them....man, what a horrific way to go those poor children, i mean i know drowning or any other way isnt horrific but that is crazy!!

I'm glad that we agree to disagree about Susan Smith without fighting. It's just sometimes the mention of her name makes my blood boil. :furious:

I shouldn't have made my comment above about the Tyler woman that stoned her children. I don't know enough about that case to form a rational opinion, just an emotional one. Prayers for those boys. :angel: :angel:. I believe one of them survived but is blind from it. God Bless them. Absolutely horrific.

NewMom2003 said:
I'm glad that we agree to disagree about Susan Smith without fighting. It's just sometimes the mention of her name makes my blood boil. :furious:

I shouldn't have made my comment above about the Tyler woman that stoned her children. I don't know enough about that case to form a rational opinion, just an emotional one. Prayers for those boys. :angel: :angel:. I believe one of them survived but is blind from it. God Bless them. Absolutely horrific.
i know i dont know much about andrea yates, but i didnt know she pulled out her own hair, thats sick...

Details said:
I don't think she thought it was wrong in any way. She knew people would try to stop her, but that doesn't make it wrong (in her mind). She thought if the kids were killed they'd go to heaven, if they weren't killed, they'd go to hell. It's nuts, but it's what she was being taught, what she believed. From that religious perspective, she made a 'rational' decision, even a self sacrificing one (condemning herself to hell to save the kids from that fate). She was insane and in that insane world she was doing the right thing.
I totally understand what you are saying and I agree ... There are some very mentally ill people out there that need help and I do believe Andrea is one of them..

Jeana (DP) said:
Andrea Yates had a full blown post-partum psychosis from two kids back. She was not feeding herself, not bathing herself and barely talking - and was pulling her own hair out. There's NO WAY in hell she should have been out of a hospital - FORGET about anywhere near five kids for ANY period of time. Her husband, her family, his mother and her doctors can all share the blame for this tragedy.

Yes, and that moron Rusty knew all this and continued to impregnate her and put her in impossible stressful situations. :furious:

I wish I would run into Rusty on the street one day in Houston. I think I'd spit in his eye.

michelle said:
i know i dont know much about andrea yates, but i didnt know she pulled out her own hair, thats sick...

Her Mother-in-law said she would twist her hair around her finger like she was in deep thought and eventually bald spots started showing.

NewMom2003 said:
I wish I would run into Rusty on the street one day in Houston. I think I'd spit in his eye.

You know, I'm a little annoyed at Rusty. He swore he would never divorce her, and then what does he go and do? Divorce her.:razz: I hope he at least attends the next trial to show his support of her.

michelle said:

This woman is truly ill Michelle. She needs help, not a prison term. God Bless the Yates children. :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Now Rusty Yates on the other hand .... :loser:

NewMom2003 said:
Yes, and that moron Rusty knew all this and continued to impregnate her and put her in impossible stressful situations. :furious:

Why didnt anybody try to intervene with her if they all knew she was sick?
and i heard that her kids were afraid of her, thats so sad.....

Just like susan smith, she was being molested by her stepdad from age 16 on and when her mom was told they didnt do anything.....thats just sick...

When a family member in charge of young children starts this type of behavior, that's when other family members need to show up in court to get custody of the kids away from them. ANYONE can petition the court for custody. If Andrea's doctors were failing her, a petition in family court to have her children removed could have sparked a judge to order mental testing that the state could pay for, if necessary. There are other ways around these issues than just standing back and hoping for the best. Anytime helpless children are involved, we need to, as a society, worry MOREE about those childrens' rights than the parents' rights. After all, parents who love their children are willing to give up EVERYTHING for them - including some civil rights, right? LOL OFF MY SOAPBOX NOW. :doh:

MrsMush99 said:
You know, I'm a little annoyed at Rusty. He swore he would never divorce her, and then what does he go and do? Divorce her.:razz: I hope he at least attends the next trial to show his support of her.

I doubt he will. He's probably too busy out looking for a new wife. He infuriates me.

Did andrea have a mother around or any siblings? Or was it just rustys family...

michelle said:
Did andrea have a mother around or any siblings? Or was it just rustys family...
IIRC, Rusty cut her off from her other family or friends. Typical control behavior. She was isolated, as a 'good wife' is supposed to be. :banghead:

Details said:
IIRC, Rusty cut her off from her other family or friends. Typical control behavior. She was isolated, as a 'good wife' is supposed to be. :banghead:

I didn't know that - you know that makes me dislike him even more!!! :mad:

Details said:

Rusty would have burried us in the backyard a long time ago, huh? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: My momma taught me not to take chit off no one. :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

I think Rusty needs to be held accountable for this as well.. Afterall, he was the so called "man of the house" :loser: . He knew what was going on with her.. From what I read he even walked in on her while she was trying to split her wrists (if I read that correctly)... How can you not know anything is going on.. he must have seen the changes in her appearance as well.. :banghead: He was also the one who liked this so called preacher and should have stepped in when he heard about some of his misleading teachings.. Where was his head at? He works for an space engineering company and he doesn't have the smarts to know when a preacher is misleading his flock?

michelle said:
I am not liking rusty.....

I saw him on LKL about a year or so ago, at the same time as David Smith (Susan Smith's ex) and the difference between those two men was astounding. Both lost their children by drowing by their wives. You could see on DS's face that it is still a struggle for him, that he's grieving and angry still. But Rusty was a whole other story.

Rusty is a moron IMO, he still doesn't totally get it, if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth