TX - Five Yates children drowned, Houston, 20 June 2001 *Insanity*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those tempted to blame "the husband" remember clearly that in our society we make distinctions between adults and children. Adults are responsible for their children. Adults are to rear their children. Other adults are not responsible to rear other adults or do for them what is their job.

Now you can take the position that women are to be seen as childlike or something in between a child and adult and if you take that position then of course the man in her life, i.e. husband, would have been responsible to some extent for decisions that she made. But as a grown woman she decided to get into the relationship and marriage on her own.

This is why she and she alone must face the consequences for what she did. To me she is simply a cold blooded murderer. No doubt there are many contributors to why she ultimately chose to murder. But this is often the case for many murderers. You can look back and see where upbringing, failed relationships, isolation, personal immaturity all contributed. However, there are far far too many cases where adults have these same contributors and because they have exercised their personal volition and chose to make constructive decisions for themselves and not rely upon and demand from others a way or life or direction, they DIDN'T MURDER or commit crimes....all the while having the same circumstances as Andrea Yates and other murderers.

If this woman would have MOLESTED HER CHILDREN you would be screaming for her head and wouldn't care what her problems were. But she commits and even WORSE CRIME...she takes their LIVES, she murders them and many people want to excuse it with insanity.

That is insanity...not Andrea Yates.

I think Yates is going to be found guilty again. In fact, I think the Prosecution is going to do an even better job. The problem with Yates at the trial will be too many multiples and she will be back to prison where women that murder their children belong...along with Susan Smith and so on.

Janet'sPlanet said:
For those tempted to blame "the husband" remember clearly that in our society we make distinctions between adults and children. Adults are responsible for their children. Adults are to rear their children. Other adults are not responsible to rear other adults or do for them what is their job.

Now you can take the position that women are to be seen as childlike or something in between a child and adult and if you take that position then of course the man in her life, i.e. husband, would have been responsible to some extent for decisions that she made. But as a grown woman she decided to get into the relationship and marriage on her own.

This is why she and she alone must face the consequences for what she did. To me she is simply a cold blooded murderer. No doubt there are many contributors to why she ultimately chose to murder. But this is often the case for many murderers. You can look back and see where upbringing, failed relationships, isolation, personal immaturity all contributed. However, there are far far too many cases where adults have these same contributors and because they have exercised their personal volition and chose to make constructive decisions for themselves and not rely upon and demand from others a way or life or direction, they DIDN'T MURDER or commit crimes....all the while having the same circumstances as Andrea Yates and other murderers.

If this woman would have MOLESTED HER CHILDREN you would be screaming for her head and wouldn't care what her problems were. But she commits and even WORSE CRIME...she takes their LIVES, she murders them and many people want to excuse it with insanity.

That is insanity...not Andrea Yates.

Would you expect that when a husband becomes mentally ill and is having thoughts of hurting his children that the wife simply go off to work and leave him with a house full of children? You wouldn't think she should take some responsibility if he kills them?

Janet'sPlanet said:
I think Yates is going to be found guilty again. In fact, I think the Prosecution is going to do an even better job. The problem with Yates at the trial will be too many multiples and she will be back to prison where women that murder their children belong...along with Susan Smith and so on.

well, i hope she's found not guilty, but guilty by reason of insanity....if anyone should get this, it should be her, imo....the other woman, can't think of her name, but i think it was Deana, in Texas ??....she was found "insane", but she admitted to hiding the rock she was using on her baby, under the bed, when her husband walked in on her that night....she knew enough to quickly stop pressing the rock on her baby, & hide it under the baby bed..... :furious:

SewingDeb said:
Would you expect that when a husband becomes mentally ill and is having thoughts of hurting his children that the wife simply go off to work and leave him with a house full of children? You wouldn't think she should take some responsibility if he kills them?
First of all I make a distinction between adults and children. Children are dependent on a adults and parents are responsible for telling children what decisions to make and eventually teaching them how to make them and finally watching them make their own.

Andrea was not the child of her husband. She was a grown woman who was given the ability to make choices. Her life is one of choices. Pointing the finger at someone else because you didn't get the help you needed is no excuse. She knew what she had done was wrong and immediately called the police. Apparently she knew who to call when she needed arrested and charged.

But let's look at what Rusty Yates did and what he had to say. Here is a quote from not only Rusty Yates but Dr. Saeed who Rusty and Andrea went to after a seemingly psycyhotic attempt:

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,218445,00.html

"Rusty told jurors that he and Andrea went to the Devereux-Texas Treatment Network, where Mohammed Saeed became Andrea's psychiatrist. Rusty testified that he never knew that Andrea had visions and voices; he said he never knew she had considered killing the children. Neither did Dr. Saeed"

And a second quote:

"After only slight improvement, Andrea was released from Devereux. A month later, she had another episode. Rusty took her back to Devereux. Again, she was released. Dr. Saeed reluctantly prescribed Haldol, the same drug that worked in a drug cocktail for her in 1999. But after a few weeks, he took her off the drug, citing his concerns about side effects. (For more on Saeed's response, see our previous examination of the Yates trial.) Though Andrea's condition seemed to be worsening two days before the drownings, when her husband drove her to Saeed's office, Rusty testified, the doctor refused to try Haldol longer or return her to the hospital. Rusty was frustrated, he told the jury, and he didn't know what else to do."

Rusty Yates was not and is not a mental health professional but took her to a mental health professional Rusty Yates is not a psychic nor is the mental health professional. If anyone could have predicted or should have intervened based on training and experience related to mental health issues and a mother being around her children it would have been the doctor. But Rusty clearly testified he knew of no ideations of her murdering her children.

Now Andrea herself was her high school class valedictorian and graduated with a Nursing degree from the University of Texas Health Science Center. She was no dummy by a long shot. A very intelligent person by all standards.

Andrea didn't met her husband until she was 25, long into adulthood and far removed from teenaged innocence and naivity (unless you are interested in prescribing for Andrea a lifelong pass or irresponsibility and naivity simply because it suits your desired view of her which doesn't work in the adult world).

As an adult she dated Rusty for 3 years. At close to age 30 they got married. Okay so we have a woman, grown adult, with a nursing degree and able to take care of herself, cope with life, and make adult decisions. So she decides with her husband Rusty to have a baby, Noah.

Well after a couple of more babies of which no one can find any records of her being forced against her will they still lived in a 350 sq. ft. trailer. It appears then she sank into depression.

During this time ANDREA and her husband BOTH chose to continue corresponding with:
5-1Michael-Woroniecki.jpg
Michael Woroniecki

He was and is an extremist. Mind you, this is Andrea who is, with her husband, both making the choice to correspond with this man who preached that women had some inherit evil and should be constantly submissive to their husbands. Now many many homes exist where a man attempts to introduce this type of NONSENSE and women of the same or lesser stature of Andrea put their foot down and make it clear that she isn't going to tolerate this nonsense and if he wants to believe it he can but she isn't having any part of it. But Andrea made the choice to continue to expose herself to this. She chose. There is no record of her husband forcing her or threatening her.
Remember, Andrea isn't some sister-brother offspring reared without an education or sophistication. She has a degree from a major university and was her High School valedictorian.

In 1999 here is an account of the first significant depressive episode:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/women/andrea_yates/6.html

"In 1999, Andrea called Rusty at work and told him she needed help. When he arrived home, he found her shaking and chewing her fingers, so he took her and the children to his parents' home, where she said she felt better. But then she tried to kill herself with a drug overdose from her father's medication, and with Andrea's mother's help, Rusty finally got her into treatment. Later she said she had just wanted to "sleep forever." She was diagnosed with a major depressive disorder."

Like in the end, here at the beginning Rusty helped with getting treatment.

Following this her husband AGAIN helped her:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/women/andrea_yates/6.html
"The ailing mother was discharged and another psychiatrist switched her to Zyprexa, an antipsychotic drug for bipolar disorders and schizophrenia. Andrea flushed the pills down the toilet. Then she got worse.

She told her psychiatrist that she was hearing voices and seeing visions again about getting a knife. She began to scratch at herself, leaving sores on her legs. Then Rusty found her in the bathroom one day pressing a knife to her throat. He took it away and got her hospitalized. "

They were recommended NOT to have a fifth child because of the postpartum depression that might happen. They BOTH decided to have one. In fact, Rusty's mother came to help as well.

Well, RUSTY continued to try and finds ways to get Andrea treatment and of course followed up with all the medications prescribed by doctors.

BUT to directly answer your question, as you can see Rusty testified as did Dr. Saeed that he never knew of her stating she had ideations or thoughts of hurting her children. Not only Rusty but the doctor to which her brought her did not either. Rusty cannot be a mind reader nor a psychic and the records demonstrates that he acted many many times on her behalf to get her mental health treatment. She, ANDREA YATES, often refused to take medication. Often she would trade stories and change stories with therapists.

Personally I don't doubt that Andrea Yates needs mental counselling and treatment. But I do make her accountable for her numerous decisions throughout life as a grown adult to ignore bad information, to foster and nuture a lifestyle that deliberately made her others dependent and ultimately conditioned to blame outside sources for her deliberate murders of her children.

Andrea's mental illness wasn't from birth. It was developed over the years. No one is immune from getting a mental illness at some point in their lives. I hope it never affects you or your family members.

Jeana (DP) said:
Andrea's mental illness wasn't from birth. It was developed over the years. No one is immune from getting a mental illness at some point in their lives. I hope it never affects you or your family members.
No one is immuned from it but my lengthy post above goes into great detail about her choices and her own personal neglect. Repeatedly she lays the blame at someone else's feet. This is the personality of a blamer. Yes, criminals come in all shapes and sizes, moms, dads, young and old. I am certainly sorry she murdered her children but her history demonstrates to me a highly and deliberately dependent personality that has sluffed off on others what was hers to do and be and decide.

Over simplifying it and just pleading insane doesn't work for me. If that is the case then most murderers and violent offenders should walk free after mental health treatment. Why? Because the nature of many murders is so henious and sick that it must be from a sick mind.

BUT LET me remind you that JOHN LIST murdered JUST LIKE this woman, Andrea Yates. He murdered so his kids would not go to hell. What did he do? He left and started another life. No, these are just irresponsible types that won't face up to their job and the life they chose and find the easy way out...MURDER. My comment to you is that I hope you NEVER have to deal with a LOVED ONE being murdered, never mind two or more or that it never affects you or your loved ones.

Janet'sPlanet said:
No one is immuned from it but my lengthy post above goes into great detail about her choices and her own personal neglect. Repeatedly she lays the blame at someone else's feet. This is the personality of a blamer. Yes, criminals come in all shapes and sizes, moms, dads, young and old. I am certainly sorry she murdered her children but her history demonstrates to me a highly and deliberately dependent personality that has sluffed off on others what was hers to do and be and decide.

Over simplifying it and just pleading insane doesn't work for me. If that is the case then most murderers and violent offenders should walk free after mental health treatment. Why? Because the nature of many murders is so henious and sick that it must be from a sick mind.

BUT LET me remind you that JOHN LIST murdered JUST LIKE this woman, Andrea Yates. He murdered so his kids would not go to hell. What did he do? He left and started another life. No, these are just irresponsible types that won't face up to their job and the life they chose and find the easy way out...MURDER. My comment to you is that I hope you NEVER have to deal with a LOVED ONE being murdered, never mind two or more or that it never affects you or your loved ones.

When one's mind isn't working, they can't make decisions nor can they be held accountable. I don't care if they're 18 or 48. Makes no difference. It can't get much more simple than that.

List, if I recall correctly, had NO history of mental illness, so comparing the two makes no sense.

My little sister was missing for 11 years before her remains were found, so I've already had to deal with a LOVED ONE being murdered. Again, has nothing to do with Andrea's case.

Jeana (DP) said:
When one's mind isn't working, they can't make decisions nor can they be held accountable. I don't care if they're 18 or 48. Makes no difference. It can't get much more simple than that.

List, if I recall correctly, had NO history of mental illness, so comparing the two makes no sense.

My little sister was missing for 11 years before her remains were found, so I've already had to deal with a LOVED ONE being murdered. Again, has nothing to do with Andrea's case.
Actually he did have a history of some mental issues. But more importantly is the fact that simply because someone doesn't have an official DIAGNOSIS doesn't mean they did not have mental health issues. Back in the 60s it was rare for the average citizen to see a shrink for issues like that. Nevertheless I doubt we will agree on the case.

I think she is a murderer and very manipulative. Yes she needs counseling but no, my lengthy posts explains quite clearly why I believe she was not and is not insane and why I hope she is found guilty again.

Janet'sPlanet said:

john list was something else, its a good thing they caught him, he was living the life somewhere else and happy as a pig in mud...

To keep saying that the "BOTH" made these decisions is not accurate. Rusty made the decision as a competent adult. Andrea 'made' the decision as an insane person - her decisions are not rational, not sane choices. To expect an insane person to be responsible for their choices, and just let them make them is IMHO criminal negligence.

Somehow that's obvious when the insanity takes a self destructive bent (for example, no one would say that both she and Rusty made the choice to cut her throat if she asked for the knife to cut her own throat, and Rusty gave it to her and watched - he'd be considered obviously responsible in that case - instead he took away the knife). But when it's an other-destructive line, we wish to believe the insane person was responsible, that they somehow could have controlled themselves - or more, that if it were us who had the mental illness, that we would have been able to control ourselves!

It's too scary to think of the alternative - that something can go wrong with your mind, and that something can turn you into a monster who thinks it's a reasonable responsible decision to kill your children.

She clearly knew the law would not agree, but she also thought it was the right and only thing to do for the children - a line of reasoning like a mother who kills a pedophile - they know it's against the law, but they also believe it's right and the only way to protect their children.

This isn't about a submissive woman, or the old-fashioned concepts that the man is the head of the household - the same condemnation would hold if a woman left a clearly insane husband in charge of their children (I suspect it would be greater - we still want to believe the woman is responsible for the children, still castigate a neglectful mother more than the completely absent father).

I just think that Rusty used her culpability to his advantage. I would never put him up as the husband of the year.

Details said:
To keep saying that the "BOTH" made these decisions is not accurate. Rusty made the decision as a competent adult. Andrea 'made' the decision as an insane person - her decisions are not rational, not sane choices. To expect an insane person to be responsible for their choices, and just let them make them is IMHO criminal negligence.

Somehow that's obvious when the insanity takes a self destructive bent (for example, no one would say that both she and Rusty made the choice to cut her throat if she asked for the knife to cut her own throat, and Rusty gave it to her and watched - he'd be considered obviously responsible in that case - instead he took away the knife). But when it's an other-destructive line, we wish to believe the insane person was responsible, that they somehow could have controlled themselves - or more, that if it were us who had the mental illness, that we would have been able to control ourselves!

It's too scary to think of the alternative - that something can go wrong with your mind, and that something can turn you into a monster who thinks it's a reasonable responsible decision to kill your children.

She clearly knew the law would not agree, but she also thought it was the right and only thing to do for the children - a line of reasoning like a mother who kills a pedophile - they know it's against the law, but they also believe it's right and the only way to protect their children.

This isn't about a submissive woman, or the old-fashioned concepts that the man is the head of the household - the same condemnation would hold if a woman left a clearly insane husband in charge of their children (I suspect it would be greater - we still want to believe the woman is responsible for the children, still castigate a neglectful mother more than the completely absent father).
Let's see...she is sane enough to feed herself, sane enough to call the cops after she commits a crime, sane enough to dress herself, sane enough to know HOW to murder and commit it, sane enough to be able to speak in detail about her mental struggles, sane enough to drive a car, sane enough to know not to commit other crimes. Nah...

But what is so sad....so so very sad is that you compare her murdering her children to her murdering a pedophile. No, sorry. SHE is the one that is worse than a PEDOPHILE. She MURDERED. At least most pedophiles let their victims live but this woman...NOT SHE murdered them. Were the children guilty of anything? Nadda..just being children. But comparing her children being murdered to someone murdering a PEDOPHILE? LOL that takes the cake.

Janet'sPlanet said:
Let's see...she is sane enough to feed herself, sane enough to call the cops after she commits a crime, sane enough to dress herself, sane enough to know HOW to murder and commit it, sane enough to be able to speak in detail about her mental struggles, sane enough to drive a car, sane enough to know not to commit other crimes. Nah...

But what is so sad....so so very sad is that you compare her murdering her children to her murdering a pedophile. No, sorry. SHE is the one that is worse than a PEDOPHILE. She MURDERED. At least most pedophiles let their victims live but this woman...NOT SHE murdered them. Were the children guilty of anything? Nadda..just being children. But comparing her children being murdered to someone murdering a PEDOPHILE? LOL that takes the cake.
Yeah, it's insane to think that way - isn't it. But that's how she was thinking.

Insanity - it's not just a pretty word. She's got all her adult knowledge, adult size, with a mind that sees an insane world where protecting your children requires killing them.

Janet'sPlanet said:

this is what gets me about andrea, i dont understand how she could do all these things and still be labeled "insane".

She wasn't feeding herself, washing her hair or taking care of herself in other ways. I think maybe some people didn't read everything they could about this case.

I have recently read a lot about this case and I am overwhelmed at how this woman was failed by everyone around her. After multiple suicide attempts and the self-mutilation, how could anyone not institutionalize her? If Rusty loved his kids, how would he LEAVE THEM ALONE IN THAT SITUATION DAY IN AND DAY OUT??????????????????? And now he has the b@!!$ to say he needs to move on with his life and have more kids? This guy is a real prince charming, NOT! One can only hope that any sane woman would think very had before marrying him. Oh wait, maybe he likes insane women because they are the only ones who will go along with his crazy lifestyle?????

JMO, but this is frustrating, those babies did NOT have to die. Rusty should think about his role in THAT, not having more kids...

JMO!

IMO, Rusty Yates should have been charged with "NEGLIGENT HOMICIDE" when he left those children with an incompetent, insane woman to care for them. Right from the beginning I found him to be the one who should have been held responsible for the tragedy of the deaths of those 5 children.

Any woman who agrees to home school & live out of a bus with 5 children is definitely out of her mind & he knew of her condition.

Rusty Yates makes me SICK.

Mama-cita said:
I have recently read a lot about this case and I am overwhelmed at how this woman was failed by everyone around her. After multiple suicide attempts and the self-mutilation, how could anyone not institutionalize her? If Rusty loved his kids, how would he LEAVE THEM ALONE IN THAT SITUATION DAY IN AND DAY OUT??????????????????? And now he has the b@!!$ to say he needs to move on with his life and have more kids? This guy is a real prince charming, NOT! One can only hope that any sane woman would think very had before marrying him. Oh wait, maybe he likes insane women because they are the only ones who will go along with his crazy lifestyle?????

JMO, but this is frustrating, those babies did NOT have to die. Rusty should think about his role in THAT, not having more kids...

JMO!

You're exactly right Mama. These children did NOT need to die but trying to put the blame on Andrea for these murders is like trying to blame someone for getting cancer. There are things the mind and the body do to people that they just can't control. That's when their loved ones and the OTHER PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CHILDREN need to step in and take over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rah1991