Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot believe it has been 7 years.

Congrats to him and his new family. How bittersweet.

Rusty Yates, father to the five children his wife Andrea Yates drowned in a fit of severe post-partum depression/schizophrenia, has just become a father again with his new wife:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=6047009

Nice to know that life goes on for Rusty.

I always thought he was responsible for not realizing, or not acknowledging how ill she was, and thus partially responsible for the children's deaths. And then he just washed his hands of her....

I cant say that I am glad that he is making more children. I do wish them the best though.

I live in a town next to Kerrville. If Andrea is at the mental hospital there, it appears to be a decent one. Its not very big, appears to be clean, the employees seem to be decent, etc. Mind you, I have never been a guest there--but I did go with someone who wanted to visit someone who was staying there. I wonder if she is able to have visitors, etc.

PS. He still irritates me after all these years. I could just slap the snot out of him and his self-centered thinking. We will see if this wife is stronger than Andrea.

Life does go on. I just hope he is more careful with this wife and child.

IMO He deserves to be in jail with her. He KNEW she was unstable, yet he left her home alone with the children. The doctors told Rusty that she SHOULD NOT have more children, yet he pressured her to do so. He bears some of the responsibility of what happened to his children. I hope he has trouble sleeping at night.

I do not feel like Rusty has remained particularly high profile, so there may be no answer to my question, but here it is - do we know how this tragic experience affected or changed some of his religious views? When I followed the story as it was unfolding, it became fairly apparent to me that Andrea had fallen deeper into the odd religious thing than Rusty. I think some of her falling into this place was a result of her mental illness and I think she hid a lot of it.

But what, if anything, has Rusty said along these lines. I never felt like he was to blame or guilty. I feel like he did not know the full extent of her problems and that he was trying to get her some help. Still, I would like to know what he thinks about any role he played in the events leading up to that fateful day.

Rusty was interviewed - I think it was on Larry King. It was around 6 mo. ago or so. He still came across as not very introspective. He said he visits Andrea from time to time, so he apparently did not "wash his hands of her". I do not remember his religious beliefs being discussed at all.

Hope the new wife is not the depressive type!

I think you can go to CNN's website and read transcriptions of Larry's old shows. I don't know how far back they go.

I cant say that I am glad that he is making more children. I do wish them the best though.

Was thinking the exact same thing. Thanks for pointing this out. I wonder how many more children this guy is planning on having.

I always thought he was responsible for not realizing, or not acknowledging how ill she was, and thus partially responsible for the children's deaths. And then he just washed his hands of her....

I agree.

I live in a town next to Kerrville. If Andrea is at the mental hospital there, it appears to be a decent one. Its not very big, appears to be clean, the employees seem to be decent, etc. Mind you, I have never been a guest there--but I did go with someone who wanted to visit someone who was staying there. I wonder if she is able to have visitors, etc.

PS. He still irritates me after all these years. I could just slap the snot out of him and his self-centered thinking. We will see if this wife is stronger than Andrea.

The forensic patients at Kerrville state hospital may have been found incompetent and/or not guilty by reason of insanity but in order to be confined in that specific facility, they have to also have been determined not to be manifestly dangerous. Which is why the place seems decent, it isn't a maximum security forensic hospital. Still, I wouldn't let it's appearence fool ya!

I'm sure Andrea is allowed visitors.

I wonder if he is going to make the new wife and kid live on a bus? :waitasec: Ok sorry, bad joke. The guy irritates me. I can't exactly say why either. It's more like a combo. of things I guess...

I have been to his website he has for the kids and Andrea's case a couple times, it's very sad, all the pics of the beautiful children they had and then to know the horror of their deaths. It was absolutely heart breaking what happened to this family. I do think people are much more aware of Post Partum Depression and Psychosis because of this case, and what can happen if proper treatment isn't given.

www.yateskids.org

http://www.yatescase.org/

IMO He deserves to be in jail with her. He KNEW she was unstable, yet he left her home alone with the children. The doctors told Rusty that she SHOULD NOT have more children, yet he pressured her to do so. He bears some of the responsibility of what happened to his children. I hope he has trouble sleeping at night.

My thoughts exactly.

Rusty is college-educated and a smart man. It was obvious that Andrea was severely ill--she couldn't bathe, feed, or take care of herself and she sat around staring at the television set. I'll never forget him saying that Andrea had time to herself once she had all the children, "She had two hours a week but she usually chose to go grocery shopping then and take Mary with her."

He blames everyone but himself for what happened.

You can say that he didn't really understand what mental illness is, thought you could just take a pill and it would be all better (like the commercials show) but he could have educated himself easily on the truth.

I completely agree deanws!
He should share the responsibility for the tragic deaths of his children.

I do not feel like Rusty has remained particularly high profile, so there may be no answer to my question, but here it is - do we know how this tragic experience affected or changed some of his religious views? When I followed the story as it was unfolding, it became fairly apparent to me that Andrea had fallen deeper into the odd religious thing than Rusty. I think some of her falling into this place was a result of her mental illness and I think she hid a lot of it.

But what, if anything, has Rusty said along these lines. I never felt like he was to blame or guilty. I feel like he did not know the full extent of her problems and that he was trying to get her some help. Still, I would like to know what he thinks about any role he played in the events leading up to that fateful day.
Rusty is the one that introduced her to the religion and the guy that told them all the crazy ideas. I guess I got just the opposite impression during the trial about who was the most involved in the religion. Anyway, the doctor told him how important it was for her to NOT have any more children. That came out in the trial. He was also told not to leave her alone. That is why his mother was meeting everyday with Andrea at their house while Rusty was at work. He left the day she drown the kids before his mother got there. She was running late for some reason...I don't remember why. Anyway...I think the guy is a chump. He put Andrea and those kids through too much crap (the bus situation was just STUPID). I think he is a control freak and a selfish person. Of course, I don't know him, so all of this is just my impression. I do know the doctor who was treating her. IMO, he tried to help them. They didn't want to listen. This is a horrible tragedy for all. I really felt sorry for Rusty's mom. She has a ton of guilt. I wouldn't want to be in that family for anything. I do agree with the second verdict. She belongs in a mental hospital rather than the traditional jail. I am sure most will disagree with me about this opinion as well. Overall, this case makes me really sad.

I wonder if he is going to make the new wife and kid live on a bus? :waitasec: Ok sorry, bad joke. The guy irritates me. I can't exactly say why either. It's more like a combo. of things I guess...
I feel the same way sadie.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member