TX - Five Yates children drowned, Houston, 20 June 2001 *Insanity*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did not see this documentary so I cannot comment on her comments, however, I can comment that patient non compliance with anti psychotic meds is a huge issue! Once the patient stops having psychotic episodes he or she often fails to continue medication either because of side effects or due to the false belief that they are cured.

This is why a measure of the responsibility falls on the care-giver adult, in this case, Rusty Yates. I agree that she is responsible for her crimes. She should never be allowed to leave prison or whatever institution she is in. I agree 100% in her guilt and culpability for her crimes. I also fully believe she is mentally ill, otherwise I'd be screaming for the DP.

BUT...

He knew of the problem.

His actions/beliefs/inactions contributed to and exacerbated her illness.

And worst of all:
He left her alone with the children, knowing her condition.

He should have been charged as well.

The district attorneys office thought so as well. However, they just couldn't by law get enough on him to charge him with anything. :mad:

Wow, I hadn't heard that. That's very, very interesting.

Wouldn't leaving her alone with the kids count? If she was dangerous enough that she needed supervision, I would think that him leaving when the mother was delayed would count as child endangerment.

I so agree-
I think this is one of the very few cases=I have felt he was more or as guilty as the person who actually did the killing-
this was not something that just happened overnight- or a person that just snapped- this was awhile in the making- and he had to have seen it- I think it is sickening he is able to produce more children- cant wait till he has to explain the old childrens demise to his new ones---I feel very very sorry for any new children

Hi j2!:blowkiss:

I so agree with you here, and others who feel Rusty was culpable. There is NO way he shouldn't share in the responsibility for this tragedy. There had to something very wrong with him. I wish the prosecutors could have charged him. Good luck to this bride. I think she will need it.

Eve

Hi j2!:blowkiss:

I so agree with you here, and others who feel Rusty was culpable. There is NO way he shouldn't share in the responsibility for this tragedy. There had to something very wrong with him. I wish the prosecutors could have charged him. Good luck to this bride. I think she will need it.

Eve
hi Eve :blowkiss:

...He left her alone with the children, knowing her condition.....

Do you really feel he could have predicted that his children would die?
(This is a real question, not sarcastic - I'm not as familiar with details as you are.)

I have a friend who is allowing his sister to raise his son. The sister is CLEARLY a nut job and everyone sees it but him. He's too close to realize that it's a dangerous situation. (Yes, I'm doing something about it.) But he'd be shocked and devistated if this woman hurt his son. The signs are ALL there, trust me. He's just oblivious. That's what makes me wonder if this man really thought his kids were in danger. I recall at the time he was in utter disbelief.

I've always felt that he AND the Dr AND DSS should ALL be held somewhat responsible. They knew after the 1st or 2nd child what a mess she was, yet she kept popping them out and he kept letting it all happen. They ignored the problem, that's gross negligence as far as I can see. I do wish him the best now, I just hope his new wife is stable and more intelligent, since he obviously isn't the brightest bulb in the box.

This is why a measure of the responsibility falls on the care-giver adult, in this case, Rusty Yates. I agree that she is responsible for her crimes. She should never be allowed to leave prison or whatever institution she is in. I agree 100% in her guilt and culpability for her crimes. I also fully believe she is mentally ill, otherwise I'd be screaming for the DP.

BUT...

He knew of the problem.

His actions/beliefs/inactions contributed to and exacerbated her illness.

And worst of all:
He left her alone with the children, knowing her condition.

He should have been charged as well.

I agree! He even mentioned in his blog that there was a history of bipolar in her family. He played a part in the death of his children. I could hardly look at their website. They were all so adorable. I thought little Luke was the cutest little guy, gorgeous eyes! I honestly don't know how Rusty can start over w/ a new baby.

(This is a real question, not sarcastic - I'm not as familiar with details as you are.)

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'll try to explain. (I do want to point out that I'm not going to link any references like I usually do. This case was entirely too disturbing for me, and I'd rather not reread all the articles and such to properly site things.)

Yates was warned by her doctors not to leave her alone. He knew she was not capable of providing basic care to them, as well as the fact that she could be dangerous.

Andrea Yates had been hospitalized for mental illness on multiple occasions. She had attempted suicide at least twice. She had been diagnosed with psychotic hallucinations and major depression.

And he left her alone with the children.

There are news articles that indicate that he was controlling her, restricting her access to outside interaction. People have claimed he insisted on her homeschooling the children and encouraging her to become pregnant when doctors explicitly warned her not to have more kids.

If my doctor tells me that my wife would have psychotic episodes if she got pregnant again, I'd be making appointments for my vasectomy. Not fathering two more children.

Even if you disregard the stories about his control/religious issues, the fact remains that he left a mentally ill woman alone with her children against doctors orders and in all absence of common sense.

People have been sent to jail for much less.

Hope that helps explain my comments. :)

Rusty Yates was not great husband. But I recently watch a documentary on this case and Andrea Yates constantly chose to discontinue the medication that were treatments for her condition. I also saw a taped interview of her where she says she felt her kids were too badly behaved, and mentioned that they were sometimes rude to their grandmother. How she could ever speak badly of her poor kids she that she had drowned make me sick to watch. She is no innocent victim in this either.

It is more common then not that mentally ill people discontinue their meds.
Her comments only stand to document her mental illness further.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'll try to explain. (I do want to point out that I'm not going to link any references like I usually do. This case was entirely too disturbing for me, and I'd rather not reread all the articles and such to properly site things.)

Yates was warned by her doctors not to leave her alone. He knew she was not capable of providing basic care to them, as well as the fact that she could be dangerous.

Andrea Yates had been hospitalized for mental illness on multiple occasions. She had attempted suicide at least twice. She had been diagnosed with psychotic hallucinations and major depression.

And he left her alone with the children.

There are news articles that indicate that he was controlling her, restricting her access to outside interaction. People have claimed he insisted on her homeschooling the children and encouraging her to become pregnant when doctors explicitly warned her not to have more kids.

If my doctor tells me that my wife would have psychotic episodes if she got pregnant again, I'd be making appointments for my vasectomy. Not fathering two more children.

Even if you disregard the stories about his control/religious issues, the fact remains that he left a mentally ill woman alone with her children against doctors orders and in all absence of common sense.

People have been sent to jail for much less.

Hope that helps explain my comments. :)

Yes it does. Somehow I missed that a doctor told him not to leave her alone with the kids. I think he was in denial that anything like that could happen, though. Most people have an "It can't happen to me" syndrome.

I know if I were him, I'd be reluctant to leave my new baby with ANYONE.

I have a friend who is allowing his sister to raise his son. The sister is CLEARLY a nut job and everyone sees it but him. He's too close to realize that it's a dangerous situation. (Yes, I'm doing something about it.) But he'd be shocked and devistated if this woman hurt his son. The signs are ALL there, trust me. He's just oblivious. That's what makes me wonder if this man really thought his kids were in danger. I recall at the time he was in utter disbelief.
Rusty was told...point blank that she should not have any more children and that she should NOT be left alone with the children. That is why his mother was meeting Andrea at their house each day before Rusty left for work. The day she was late, Rusty went on ahead to work and left her alone. That is the day the children were killed. He was told.

Yes it does. Somehow I missed that a doctor told him not to leave her alone with the kids. I think he was in denial that anything like that could happen, though. Most people have an "It can't happen to me" syndrome.

I know if I were him, I'd be reluctant to leave my new baby with ANYONE.
Glitch...I bet we got more coverage down here than most of the country got. I live where this happened. I know the treating doctor. Rusty was told. Funny how he was having her live in a bus, and now his new bride and he drive off in a corvette. He had a good, high paying job. There was never any reason for Andrea and those kids to be living in a bus. :mad: The only reason he finally moved her into a house was the fact that he was questioned about the safety and welfare of the children and Andrea living in a bus. IOW...they were on to him treating his family like this. He is NOT the innocent victim that most think of him. I personally don't know him, but know others involved in the case. I really can't say much more without causing trouble for others. Believe me when I say...this guy needs to have problems sleeping at night. :mad:

Philamena is right, Rusty is a giant control freak. He kept Andrea isolated.

Andrea was a high-achieving, perfectionist, (nurse RN) well-educated beautiful woman (you should see the photos of her "before.") who wanted to raise the perfect family.
SNIP

Texanna,
You got it right!:clap:
I can't stand the sight of his smug face.
Me either......bleckkkkkkk

I would like to see her picture "before." I find her pathetic - a tragic figure, truly. I usually don't pity murderers, but I do her. No way she could get to that point without a hubby enabling. IMO. I think he should be serving time right along with her.

What was with him making them live in a 350 square foot renovated RV or something? With five kids? Isn't he a NASA engineer? I just don't get it. Anyone know how he lives now with wifey 2? In a house this time?

Eve

She was gorgeous...

Yates.jpg

I would like to see her picture "before." I find her pathetic - a tragic figure, truly. I usually don't pity murderers, but I do her. No way she could get to that point without a hubby enabling. IMO. I think he should be serving time right along with her.

What was with him making them live in a 350 square foot renovated RV or something? With five kids? Isn't he a NASA engineer? I just don't get it. Anyone know how he lives now with wifey 2? In a house this time?

Eve
It was a BUS! Not an RV. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members